Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 01:10 AM   #1
Cookie94

AKaholic #: 195758
Default Is the Galil Ace all hype? or the g.o.a.t.?

What is the general consensus on the IWI Galil Ace? What separates this rifle from the others in terms of reliability, longevity, accuracy, ect? Again, I appreciate the help/input in my endeavor to own quality AKs.
Cookie94 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:21 AM   #2
dan187
Ummm Hi?

AKaholic #: 174464

Have you tried the Galil subforum?
dan187 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:22 AM   #3
Cookie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan187 View Post
Have you tried the Galil subforum?
Wasn't aware it existed, still very new here.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:23 AM   #4
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

That's kind of a big and generalized question.

Which caliber?
Are you looking at the pistol, pistol with brace, or carbine?

What exactly are you wanting to do with it?

Some general answers....I don't think anyone has ever said the Galil Ace isn't well built or isn't reliable. I've fired all calibers and 2 out of 3 pistols and all carbines, they all worked fine.

Yeah trying to think but the Galil's reputation really speaks for itself.
If you have more specific questions, me and many others on here will be happy to give you our 2 cents haha.

I can tell you this, just last week a customer of mine wanted to buy a .308 carbine and a 5.56 carbine off me.
The .308 i had in stock, but I couldn't find any 5.56s available at distributers. He asked me if i would just sell him my own carbine.
After thinking it over, i agreed.

But he changed his mind and decided just to get the .308 and me keep my 5.56, and you know what? I was releaved.
I was trying to do the financially responsible thing and take an offer when it came along but really wasn't too excited about selling my own Ace.
So when he did change his mind...it was a-ok with me.

It is a nice partner to my Miller ARM reweld, Vektor LM5 SAR, and Miller Micro MAR.
The Ace just fits in with them, and is a natural modernization of the Galil platform.
Also, it is Israeli or at least as Israeli as you can get post 1989 restrictions. So having it, i don't feel so bad about having sold off both my Magnum Research and Action Arms Galil prebans.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 01:34 AM   #5
Cookie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
That's kind of a big and generalized question.

Which caliber?
Are you looking at the pistol, pistol with brace, or carbine?

What exactly are you wanting to do with it?

Some general answers....I don't think anyone has ever said the Galil Ace isn't well built or isn't reliable. I've fired all calibers and 2 out of 3 pistols and all carbines, they all worked fine.

Yeah trying to think but the Galil's reputation really speaks for itself.
If you have more specific questions, me and many others on here will be happy to give you our 2 cents haha.

I can tell you this, just last week a customer of mine wanted to buy a .308 carbine and a 5.56 carbine off me.
The .308 i had in stock, but I couldn't find any 5.56s available at distributers. He asked me if i would just sell him my own carbine.
After thinking it over, i agreed.

But he changed his mind and decided just to get the .308 and me keep my 5.56, and you know what? I was releaved.
I was trying to do the financially responsible thing and take an offer when it came along but really wasn't too excited about selling my own Ace.
So when he did change his mind...it was a-ok with me.

It is a nice partner to my Miller ARM reweld, Vektor LM5 SAR, and Miller Micro MAR.
The Ace just fits in with them, and is a natural modernization of the Galil platform.
Also, it is Israeli or at least as Israeli as you can get post 1989 restrictions. So having it, i don't feel so bad about having sold off both my Magnum Research and Action Arms Galil prebans.
Considering a the rifle chambered in 7.62x39. Thinking about it now, it is a very broad question. I wanted to get some input, history, thoughts, and so on on the rifle before I dropped a considerable amount of coin.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:57 AM   #6
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie94 View Post
Wasn't aware it existed, still very new here.
Quote:
Considering a the rifle chambered in 7.62x39. Thinking about it now, it is a very broad question. I wanted to get some input, history, thoughts, and so on on the rifle before I dropped a considerable amount of coin.
As you are new here, and self-admittedly haven't looked at a bloomin' thing . .

May I suggest you peruse the "Galils, Valmets and the R series" subforum and then ask any questions?
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:28 AM   #7
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Quote:
Shot my 7.62x39mm rifle this weekend, posting 1-2 MOA, could do that more consistently without an astigmatism

No issues with reliability

It’s a damn nice rifle, I like it better than my SAM7SF, but that is another option to look at the SAM7SF

I say the SAM7SF as well because it depends on what you are asking for in a rifle, I did a comparison on the two back in 2016 I could repost later if you want to see it, but in terms of overall package I think the ACE is better

Last edited by MAKAK47; 03-12-2018 at 09:51 AM.
MAKAK47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:44 AM   #8
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

I'd say the ACE in x39 rifle is GTG and accurate. All models are made extremely well made, fine machining and excellent mechanics.
The pistols if you go F1, in my experience, are just as good in all arenas but they do need a break in period before they approach the accuracy of the rifles. The 7.62N pistol seems to be the exception in the break in area. I have no idea why this is.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:05 AM   #9
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Will find out shortly with my ace in 7.62x39.
The trigger, sights, stock and all major features feel great. Balance is very good and it points well.
Just put an MI handguard on mine for a better fit for my hand and gear. I just need the free time to get to the range.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:09 AM   #10
Cookie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
Shot my 7.62x39mm rifle this weekend, posting 1-2 MOA, could do that more consistently without an astigmatism

No issues with reliability

Itís a damn nice rifle, I like it better than my SAM7SF, but that is another option to look at the SAM7SF

I say the SAM7SF as well because it depends on what you are asking for in a rifle, I did a comparison on the two back in 2016 I could repost later if you want to see it, but in terms of overall package I think the ACE is better
I'd like to see that comparison
Old 03-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
Cookie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
Will find out shortly with my ace in 7.62x39.
The trigger, sights, stock and all major features feel great. Balance is very good and it points well.
Just put an MI handguard on mine for a better fit for my hand and gear. I just need the free time to get to the range.
Are you concerned that the plastic, "teeth" on the picatinny rail will wear off with time/use?
Old 03-12-2018, 10:12 AM   #12
Cookie94

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
I'd say the ACE in x39 rifle is GTG and accurate. All models are made extremely well made, fine machining and excellent mechanics.
The pistols if you go F1, in my experience, are just as good in all arenas but they do need a break in period before they approach the accuracy of the rifles. The 7.62N pistol seems to be the exception in the break in area. I have no idea why this is.
gracias
Old 03-12-2018, 10:41 AM   #13
WebleyMKVI

AKaholic #: 194428

Greatest of all time? I don't know, that is pretty subjective I suppose. If you really like traditional AK rifles then it isn't for you (probably). Some folks like the charging handle on the right side and barrel-mounted sights.

For me personally, I love the ACE. The adjustable, side folding stock is nice, and the factory sights are downright excellent. Trigger is great, I like the safety, accurate, handles and balances well, and the gun is dead-nuts reliable.

That said it isn't as svelte as an AKM and I can see how some people would prefer the handling characteristics of a more traditional AK.

That said, for me, the title of greatest of all time either goes to the ACE or the RK62. I know I know, the RK95 exists but for US base shooters that rifles just isn't realistically obtainable.
WebleyMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:49 AM   #14
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Good point Webly, OP, are you looking for more of a top of the line AK or a gun with AK guts that handles more like a ‘westernized’ rifle?

If you want a top notch AK style rifle do the SAM7SF and you will be very happy

My assessment is that the ACE is like an RK-62 bred with a FN rifle with the quality of all those builds
Old 03-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #15
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Are you concerned that the plastic, "teeth" on the picatinny rail will wear off with time/use?
You would really, really have to go balls to the wall to do that. So much so that that might be accomplished dragging it down the highway for several miles.
Many just don't like the geometry and feel on the poly handguards. The MI and RS rails are a step up and offer other things folks like. I have one on a rifle and it does lghten it up some.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #16
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

For fit and finish, extremely well done machining, reliability, and robust build and for kickers top notch Customer Service I don't think the ACE can be beat. It's probably my favorite rifle and I have a lot of nice rifles. It's unique, in a class of its own really.

I put the MI hanguard on my X39 much better feel and lighter than the stock one
Old 03-12-2018, 08:55 PM   #17
Oldmandan

AKaholic #: 178063

I read yesterday that IMI was just purchased by a private company. I would expect a private company would be able to bring manufacturing costs down
Oldmandan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:12 PM   #18
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldmandan View Post
I read yesterday that IMI was just purchased by a private company. I would expect a private company would be able to bring manufacturing costs down
IMI is now IWI

I wonder what the cost of manufacturing the original Galils is now in terms of inflation from the 1970ís-1980ís, also what is that cost vs. the price of manufacturing the ACE?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:57 PM   #19
KalashniKEV

AKaholic #: 174261

Quote:
What is the general consensus on the IWI Galil Ace?
Just junk they tried to peddle on the world market and nobody was interested in.

Their model GAP39 even still had the autosear hole drilled.

Galil is retro-cool. ACE is ghey.

Quote:
I wonder what the cost of manufacturing the original Galils is now in terms of inflation from the 1970ís-1980ís, also what is that cost vs. the price of manufacturing the ACE?
I'm pretty sure the original factory, or at least some of their tooling ended up with Indumil near Bogota.

It's probably cheaper turn out the real thing and give the people what they want... all their production is military though.
KalashniKEV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #20
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKEV View Post
Just junk they tried to peddle on the world market and nobody was interested in.

Their model GAP39 even still had the autosear hole drilled.

Galil is retro-cool. ACE is ghey.

I'm pretty sure the original factory, or at least some of their tooling ended up with Indumil near Bogota.

It's probably cheaper turn out the real thing and give the people what they want... all their production is military though.
Wow you are behind the times, Indumil now produces the Galil ACE 20 series for the Colombian military
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-0qdNdsM85S...0/galilace.bmp

IWI is doing the licensing scheme HK did with their roller delayed stamped factories, IWI set up a factory in Vietnam that produces ACE 30 series in 7.62x39 for the Vietnamese Army

The Chilean military uses the ACE 20 NATO series, basically it takes NATO mags, exact same gymnast the Galil ACE 5.56 rifle here

Ukraine also uses the Fort assault rifle which is an ACE produced locally

Have you handled a Galil ACE? I’m wondering if your opinion is based purely on the way you feel about how the rifle looks

Last edited by nalioth; 03-13-2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s)
MAKAK47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:14 AM   #21
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

OP I have the .308 rifle version and I love it. Honestly the most comfortable .308 I ever shot and owned. Miles ahead of the M14, G3, and FAL which I owned but no longer. Galil ACE does the job much better than they do as a general battle rifle.

Quote:
Shows how much of a dumb, moron you are.

I guess Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, South Sudan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Ukraine, and Vietnam don't count. Chile, Colombia, Peru, Ukraine, and Vietnam are building them under license. All Third World shitholes who can't afford to piss money away on unproven systems or else they are fucked. The fact that some are even building them for themselves should show you how full of shit you are and that you have no idea what you are talking about.
Scott7891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:26 AM   #22
corruptgarage

AKaholic #: 183907

If you're expecting some super rifle that does everything good about an AK and an AR put together, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a modern alternative to an AK instead of turning your Arsenal into some abortion, the ACE is for you. I love my 5.56 version. It is the smoothest "AK" I've felt, the action is butter smooth, the controls are nice, the finish and quality is exceptional.

But it's a little hefty. My 106 with a triangle folder seems light by contrast, but the ACE is milled and has a lot more stuff going on.

At 1700 bucks, I felt it to be a good deal for a reliable factory 5.56 military AK pattern rifle. To many it may be too much. No regrets here though.
Old 03-13-2018, 02:42 AM   #23
BL85

AKaholic #: 192972

The 5.56 is very interesting. I’d like to get one.
BL85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:53 AM   #24
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

OP I am going go go against the grain a bit and point out some of the areas of the ACE that made me shy away initially, although this thread has me seriously considering it again.

Also as others have noted above, A LOT of digital ink was spilled by many of us a couple years back analyzing the pros and cons when it was first released and there are several excellent reviews by members (DDNC and MakAK47 off the top of my head).

Ok so here is a short list of things to consider.

1) For the 7.62x39 model you need to worry about 922r compliance if you plan to use non-U.S. mags. This is not a huge issue as u can swap parts pretty easily I think, but the owners manual makes a big deal out of it.

2) Some users end up removing the rear sight to mount an optic lower. Some have grumbled a bit on this.

3) The dust cover picatinny rail caused initial concern about return to zero or super accuracy with magnified optics. My recolection is that almost everyone said it is GTG w red dots tho. long term sturdiness may be good. Owners will have more feedback.

4) there was some minor quibbling about the front sight post(?) having to be cranked all the way up to get the gun to zero. This one may have been resolved by now.

5) Initial accuracy was 3-4 MOA for the x39, which is on par w many AKs, but a little disappointing given the price of the gun.

6) many of the parts are not standard AK parts. It essentially is a proprietary gun in 7.62x39.

7) furniture. Personally this one never bothered me, but many were put off by the front end handguards and some were peeved that the stock is not standard M-4. It looks like replacement furniture is out there and doesn't seem too hard to install. I would check reviews here on it.

8) Weight, which others have mentioned. This one doesn't bother me as much either as I have other AKs, but if this were my go to SHTF gun I might think about it more. But at the end of the day it is a rugged as heck milled AK and that comes w some weight.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but hopefully that is helpful in giving you a fuller picture of the carbine. Some of these areas may have been addressed and I am sure others will jump in to update anything or add.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:38 AM   #25
Hondo

AKaholic #: 178348

Quote:
Originally Posted by corruptgarage View Post

If you're expecting some super rifle that does everything good about an AK and an AR put together, you're going to be disappointed. If you're looking for a modern alternative to an AK instead of turning your Arsenal into some abortion, the ACE is for you. I love my 5.56 version. It is the smoothest "AK" I've felt, the action is butter smooth, the controls are nice, the finish and quality is exceptional.

But it's a little hefty. My 106 with a triangle folder seems light by contrast, but the ACE is milled and has a lot more stuff going on.

At 1700 bucks, I felt it to be a good deal for a reliable factory 5.56 military AK pattern rifle. To many it may be too much. No regrets here though.

How much does your ace weigh with a loaded mag?
Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:59 AM   #26
Sasquatchege

AKaholic #: 170356

My understanding or what ive read it has a 4140 barrel not 4150. Not that many are likely to shoot it out in semi but kinda surprised me they opted for it. Have y’all heard this?
Sasquatchege is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 AM   #27
KalashniKEV

Quote:
Wow you are behind the times, Indumil now produces the Galil ACE 20 series for the Colombian military.
No, I'm not "behind the times" (but that would be a good way to describe the ACE).

I go to Colombia all the time.

Quote:
IWI is doing the licensing scheme HK did with their roller delayed stamped factories
It's not unique or "HK" to license your product. The original Galil tooling is with Indumil though, and original Galils are what the US consumer wants.

Quote:
Have you handled a Galil ACE? I’m wondering if your opinion is based purely on the way you feel about how the rifle looks
Handled it, shot it, carried it around.

It's not very much better than an AK coming from a state arsenal... if it's better at all in any way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Shows how much of a dumb, moron you are. I guess Chile, Colombia, El Salvador, Guatemala, Haiti, Honduras, Mexico, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, South Sudan, Thailand, Trinidad & Tobago, Ukraine, and Vietnam don't count. Chile, Colombia, Peru, Ukraine, and Vietnam are building them under license. All Third World shitholes who can't afford to piss money away on unproven systems or else they are fucked.
Hahahaha, mah ninja!

Don't you think if IWI could have sold them to one of those countries for equal value they would have just done that instead of bringing them here and recalling them a few months later? IWI was dumping ACE on the US market that nobody else would buy.

The SOF elements of most of those countries don't use Galils either... wanna guess what they use?
Old 03-13-2018, 10:18 AM   #28
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Take the plastic lower off the ACE 7.62x39 and you have the classic Galil receiver underneath....
I might put a stand alone grip on mine. Removing the plastic lower guide you can run a drum mag.

Need to secure my light switch~

Last edited by cal50; 03-13-2018 at 07:11 PM.
cal50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:13 PM   #29
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
No, I'm not "behind the times" (but that would be a good way to describe the ACE).

I go to Colombia all the time.
And you didnít know Indumil was making them?

It's not unique or "HK" to license your product. The original Galil tooling is with Indumil though, and original Galils are what the US consumer wants.
that would be cool if we could get that tooling from them

Handled it, shot it, carried it around.
lemme guess, in Colombia?

It's not very much better than an AK coming from a state arsenal... if it's better at all in any way.
same could go for the original Galil you seem to love

Don't you think if IWI could have sold them to one of those countries for equal value they would have just done that instead of bringing them here and recalling them a few months later? IWI was dumping ACE on the US market that nobody else would buy. proof? Where are you getting your info? Colombia?

The SOF elements of most of those countries don't use Galils either... wanna guess what they use? whatever the fuck SOCOM is throwing out
Peddling trash lol
Old 03-13-2018, 02:21 PM   #30
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Solid points by Rev up above, I didn’t have the accuracy issue in the rifle, the 5.56 ACE’s have been coming out already zeroed in their elevation as reported by some owners

Definitely look at Rev’s post as a good look at the negatives

If you wanted a custom AK with similar features you’ll pay more than an ACE, if you want a fun tacticool AK, you could get a WASR and deck it out and probably come under cost, unless you do some custom work to get the thumb safety and left side charging handle, but minus those you could replicate the tacticoolness for sure that route

Again look at a SAM7SF for the thumb safety and a damn solid milled AK as an alternative too
Old 03-13-2018, 08:28 PM   #31
KalashniKEV

Quote:
And you didnít know Indumil was making them?
No, you didn't know that.

I just told you.

Anyway, ACE is junk at $1K... for over $1.5K, it's a joke too.

If you like one, get it now, because IWI isn't going to keep running those lines for what little sales they are able to make in the US commercial market, and the world market has moved on.
Old 03-13-2018, 08:51 PM   #32
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
No, you didn't know that.

I just told you.

Anyway, ACE is junk at $1K... for over $1.5K, it's a joke too.

If you like one, get it now, because IWI isn't going to keep running those lines for what little sales they are able to make in the US commercial market, and the world market has moved on.
Haha ok cool story bro

Haters gonna hate
Old 03-13-2018, 08:52 PM   #33
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by cal50 View Post
Take the plastic lower off the ACE 7.62x39 and you have the classic Galil receiver underneath....
I might put a stand alone grip on mine. Removing the plastic lower guide you can run a drum mag.

Need to secure my light switch~

Nice setup man, how do you like those handguards? Iím thinking of picking up the RS handguards
Old 03-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #34
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

The new handguards folks are running do make a pretty big difference in looks, really makes the gun look sharp.

One final point to consider, I was reminded of when someone mentioned taking off the poly lower part, is that I seem to recall the ACE didn't work with all mags because they were too thick maybe for that poly lower. I actually bought a bunch of mags that would work with it as I thought I was getting one and still may.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:30 PM   #35
ddnc
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
The new handguards folks are running do make a pretty big difference in looks, really makes the gun look sharp.
Oh, bull!

You can also mill off the mag well “wings” and all mags will fit. Circle 10s or Tapcos (ribbed) won’t fit due to that.