Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 05-15-2017, 12:07 PM   #36
Vance
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179748

V7 has a lithium matched set for around $700.
Vance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 06:29 PM   #37
PistolPete

AKaholic #: 157758

Quote:
Originally Posted by PistolPete View Post
I've built 2 ARs with Mag Tactical lowers. Both get used, both are superb rifles.

Left is my piston AR (Pis-AR) right is my ultimate run-n-gun AR (URNG-15):

I bought the 2 lowers at different times. The earlier one has a better finish compared to the newer one which scrapes easier. That and the fact I had to remove the finish on the inside of the holes in the newer receiver for the safety to fit are the only complaints I have.

That being said I find the weight savings to be absolutely worth the minor finish issue, especially considering how inexpensive the Mag Tactical receivers can be had right now. I consider both of these ARs to be tools designed for a job and a couple scratches just give them character. I'll probabaly refinish my URNG-15 (has the newer recever) just for fun at some point anyway.

I agree 100% that the weight difference makes no difference to some, I think about it this way:
If you're just driving back to work everyday doing the speed limit a Camry is just as good (if not better) than a Corvette. On the flip side if you're going to the racetrack the Corvette will dominate the Camry.

If you're just carrying your rifle from your vehicle to the bench, who cares? In fact a standard aluminum lower is a great option for practical shooting (2/3-gun or Run-N-Guns like my crew & I do). On the other hand when you get to the point where you're pushing the limits of yourself or the rifle every little bit of advantage you can get starts to add up.

I'm fortunate enough to have access to a private >150yd run-n-gun course with >20 steel targets ranging from 35-115yds. I get out there as often as I can and am always working on getting faster & more accurate. If I can shave weight off a receiver with no adverse effects at a reasonable cost I'll take it.

I actually have a 3rd Mag Tactical reciever sitting at my FFL right now. My plan is to use it for a 300blk pistol build with a 7.5" barrel, Maxim PDW brace, & JP captured spring. Should be a very cool rig but it will probably be a while before I get around to it.
Ok well it looks like I'm going to have to eat some crow guys.

I'm posting this because I know there are people out there that make decisions with their money based on stuff they read on the interwebs.

I've been a proponent of Mag Tactical's magnesium lowers for quite a while. I saw the weight savings with no other perceived drawbacks as a big win.

Yesterday I was out running my run-n-gun AR built on a Mag Tactical lower and it experienced a catastrophic failure. It didn't fail from being dropped, if just came apart.

Here's a vid of the failure:

Regarding the chicken suit... I got it for $7 at Walmart and with all the crazy stuff going on in the news lately I thought a little comic relief would be good. The lower just happened to fail while I was wearing it.

My run-n-gun AR sees a lot of hard use. I don't track round counts but it has at least 3k rounds through it, probably closer to 4k but can't say 100%.

I think I'm going to swap everything over the spare Mag Tactical lower I have lying around, and then run that for a while and see if it breaks.
PistolPete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:18 PM   #38
wanderson

AKaholic #: 170540
Default Mag Tac lower

I recently picked up a stripped Mag Tac unfinished ('distressed') lower for $25 after I couldn't find a blemmed Anderson or PSA lower for under $50. I knew they aren't as strong as aluminum lowers but I had an upper with a stainless steel barrel that's strictly a bench shooter (BIG scope!). It looks good.

It comes with it's own FCG pins, that part of the mag lower is wider/thicker. They popped in by hand so I'm hoping they don't walk out. Otherwise the fit is good.

Now for a serious/primary rifle, I'd just go aluminum. If this breaks I have plenty of other lowers to share. I'm just curious to see how it holds up.
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 09:33 PM   #39
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Hmmm
I'll refrain from the jokes.

I'm trying to figure why it was doubling before it screwed up ???
It's a clean break and likely broke at once.

Any chance it fired out of battery or came out of battery ??
Even with it broke off it should not have doubled unless that from a bump fire.

I almost bought a few of those recivers.

The shoot looks fun I'd like to try it some day.

It could be a lot worse.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 10:13 PM   #40
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

Quote:
Ok well it looks like I'm going to have to eat some crow guys.

I'm posting this because I know there are people out there that make decisions with their money based on stuff they read on the interwebs.

I've been a proponent of Mag Tactical's magnesium lowers for quite a while. I saw the weight savings with no other perceived drawbacks as a big win.

Yesterday I was out running my run-n-gun AR built on a Mag Tactical lower and it experienced a catastrophic failure. It didn't fail from being dropped, if just came apart.

Here's a vid of the failure:

Regarding the chicken suit... I got it for $7 at Walmart and with all the crazy stuff going on in the news lately I thought a little comic relief would be good. The lower just happened to fail while I was wearing it.

My run-n-gun AR sees a lot of hard use. I don't track round counts but it has at least 3k rounds through it, probably closer to 4k but can't say 100%.

I think I'm going to swap everything over the spare Mag Tactical lower I have lying around, and then run that for a while and see if it breaks.
Thanks for that update. I've never been interested in those lowers, but your experience could be very helpful for people who might be. Too many people these days would've just not wanted to admit their favored whatever eventually failed, so your honesty about this is particularly nice to see.

Oh, and the chicken suit and related clucking bit is funny. Always enjoy your videos.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017, 11:21 PM   #41
PistolPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post
Hmmm
I'll refrain from the jokes.

I'm trying to figure why it was doubling before it screwed up ???
It's a clean break and likely broke at once.

Any chance it fired out of battery or came out of battery ??
Even with it broke off it should not have doubled unless that from a bump fire.

I almost bought a few of those recivers.

The shoot looks fun I'd like to try it some day.

It could be a lot worse.
Joke away! I promise you won't hurt my feelings.

No signs of firing out of battery, the brass, primers & other gun parts all seemed fine. I cleaned and inspected the gun the night before, didn't notice any unusual wear or tear.

At this point my best guess is it fatigued over time, started letting go towards the top of the reciver at the take down pins which allowed the carrier to slop around and engage the trigger/buffer in a jacked up way. (technical term)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
Thanks for that update. I've never been interested in those lowers, but your experience could be very helpful for people who might be. Too many people these days would've just not wanted to admit their favored whatever eventually failed, so your honesty about this is particularly nice to see.

Oh, and the chicken suit and related clucking bit is funny. Always enjoy your videos.
Thanks man! We try.

I want to love these lowers but gotta call a spade a spade.

We'll see how the next one holds up... my hopes aren't very high but maybe if I'm lucky I'll get a year out of it.
Old 11-07-2017, 09:12 PM   #42
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

The TDP for the AR-15 rifle calls for " forged 7075 " receivers for a reason .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 01:04 PM   #43
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

AKaholic #: 179450

Wow. I was looking into those magnesium lowers myself. Cool idea in theory, but apparently not so much in practice. Bummer.

Just a warning to those with poly lower ARs; do not use them with blowback pistol round uppers. They will break, resulting your being punched in the face with a buffer tube.

That ain't a beer belly, son. It's a fuel tank for an ass-whoopin' machine.
69Rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 AM   #44
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Piss.

I bought a EchoII trigger and saw these cheap and thought it would be a good idea.

Definitely not taking the chance of the lower shitting the bed during a mag dump and sending springs and shit everywhere.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 03:24 AM   #45
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by virgil cole View Post
The TDP for the AR-15 rifle calls for " forged 7075 " receivers for a reason .
Originally it was 6061 aluminum.

That was used to 1968.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:03 AM   #46
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

Damn, that sucks!
soul rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 12:41 PM   #47
mostholycerebys
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 165655

TNarms has found a system to keep producing their clear polymer lowers. Should be in production again in a few months. These are probably the lightest and strongest non-aluminum lowers out there, polymer with brass reinforcement.

Obviously these are not for combat, but great for building a sub-4lb rifle that's easy for weaker wife/kids/millennials to use. Or even hunting, where less weight means an easier hike.
'We have peace. And its rare. And its amazing that we have it. We shouldnt take it for granted. Because the normal order of things is destructive chaos. Things can get absolutely monstrous, and there's always a fraction of the population who thinks that's how they'd like things to be, and perhaps theres a fraction of you that's like that too. I wouldn't nurture that fragment unless you want to KNOW where it will take you.' - J. Peterson, clinical psychologist and professor
mostholycerebys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #48
PistolPete

I swapped all the parts from my broken mag tactical lower over to the new/spare mag tactical lower I had laying around today and noticed some differences between them while I was at it.

The older broken one had a way shittier finish. The new one's finish seems much more durable, similar to the other one I have on my pis-AR that's holding up well.

Also the area where the pistol grip bolt screws into is skeletonized on the broken one and solid on the new one.

Seems as if they are different versions or at least from different batches. We'll see how the new one holds up. I hope to put a bunch of rounds through it this winter.
Old 11-14-2017, 01:08 AM   #49
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Quote:
I swapped all the parts from my broken mag tactical lower over to the new/spare mag tactical lower I had laying around today and noticed some differences between them while I was at it.

The older broken one had a way shittier finish. The new one's finish seems much more durable, similar to the other one I have on my pis-AR that's holding up well.

Also the area where the pistol grip bolt screws into is skeletonized on the broken one and solid on the new one.

Seems as if they are different versions or at least from different batches. We'll see how the new one holds up. I hope to put a bunch of rounds through it this winter.
Did the failed one have MG-G3 on the side, or MG-G4? All 6 of the ones I bought are Gen4s and have a solid PG mount area.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 AM   #50
PistolPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
Did the failed one have MG-G3 on the side, or MG-G4? All 6 of the ones I bought are Gen4s and have a solid PG mount area.
All 3 of mine are marked MG-G4.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:21 PM   #51
soul rebel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167399

I noticed some corrosion on my lower last night. I guess the finish on mine has not held up very well - looks like tiny cracks and scales throughout.
soul rebel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:27 PM   #52
John A.

AKaholic #: 178172

How well do they hold up compared to 7075?

Reason I ask, I would only want it for a 9mm pistol AR build, and 9mm AR's are notoriously hard on receivers and pins.

I just don't want to go through the trouble to fix up a 9mm pistol, only to have egging and cracking
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 05:58 PM   #53
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John A. View Post
How well do they hold up compared to 7075?

Reason I ask, I would only want it for a 9mm pistol AR build, and 9mm AR's are notoriously hard on receivers and pins.

I just don't want to go through the trouble to fix up a 9mm pistol, only to have egging and cracking
Don't use anything other than a 7075 aluminum upper (unless you can find steel or titanium, lol) for a blowback pistol upper.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #54
John A.

AKaholic #: 178172

Gotcha.

I thought cast receivers went out ~ 2005.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 06:07 PM   #55
69Rebel
Curmudgeon in training.

I haven't seen a cast lower in a long time. They were fine for plinkers with a locked breech upper. I had one and put many, many rounds through it.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 PM   #56
1biggun
Curio & Relic

Make a mag adapter with the broken part.
That's what I'd do with what's left.
Wouldn't mind having it to mess with.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 AM   #57
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
All 3 of mine are marked MG-G4.
What serial range? Mine are between MTS509XX-MTS537XX.

Does the fracture surface look more like a material fault, like a cool casting line, or is it more of a harmonic fracture, radiating from one point?

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
Old 11-15-2017, 10:51 PM   #58
Bubbajj
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4250

6 pounds is as light as I could get mine. pencil barrel, forged receivers, plastic furniture. Don't see how it could get much lighter. Your only saving a few ounces messing around with off the wall receivers.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:57 PM   #59
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Magnesium shatters. It is strong, very ridgid but past a certain point it cracks. For 7 ounces I wouldn't use it.
Old 11-15-2017, 11:13 PM   #60
Bubbajj
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4250

back in the day there was a company selling titanium receiver sets. Cant remember exactly but they weren't stupid expensive over aluminum. They have since stopped making them. Wish I had jumped on em when I could. many orders of magnitude stronger than aluminum and lighter as well.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:41 PM   #61
1biggun
Curio & Relic

CFS was selling the mag lites for about $35 or do not to long ago.

I almost got three.
I passed when guys said the break in the same spot shown especialy in a pistol application for some reason I haven't yet fully understood. Must be gas port placement.

I was looking at doing a super light build with a titanium carrier and Carbon fiber wrap barrel . I woke up and realized I could use the cash more.

The good news is nobody got hurt and it was a cheap part and easy one to swap out.
Old 11-16-2017, 04:16 AM   #62
ThunderGod
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
Magnesium shatters. It is strong, very ridgid but past a certain point it cracks. For 7 ounces I wouldn't use it.
Supposed to be Aluminum/Magnesium alloy, in the 6000-range for Aluminum alloys. Early MG-G4s seem to be different from the later ones in design and finish; I'm wondering about whether the alloy formula changed as well. The later ones not only have a solid PG screw area, they do not have a logo on the right side of the lower.

One of the only other MagTac lower 'failures' that seem to pop-up in searches was an ammo failure. However, it appears to be the same G4 style as PP's, with a low MTS04XXX serial. Pics of how the lower failed are interesting.

Ah, well, seems like I'll be looking for a few Andersons to replace the two pistol lowers, and have around in case of carbine failure. Not that any of the MagTac builds of mine were ever slotted for batlle, 'run-n-gun' or 3-gun matches. Just for plinkin' and Zombies.

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
Old 11-16-2017, 07:09 PM   #63
PistolPete

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
What serial range? Mine are between MTS509XX-MTS537XX.

Does the fracture surface look more like a material fault, like a cool casting line, or is it more of a harmonic fracture, radiating from one point?
The one that broke actually has a lower serial # of MTS163XX, the other one I have in use with no issues is MTS333XX.

In terms of the failure I don't know anything about metalurgy or what type of break it is. It really didn't give me any reason to think it was about to break. Based on the fairly heavy use of the gun I'm guessing the metal was fatigued and finally just let go.

I'll be sure to report back down the road on how thing go with the 2 other mag tactical lowers that I'm planning on continuing to use.
Old 11-16-2017, 08:11 PM   #64
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Thundergod. When I say magnesium, I should elaborate. I mean a magnesium/aluminum alloy. My experience with magnesium is related to racing motocross and factory race bikes. Magnesium is very strong and light but it can shatter or crack when exposed to linear force. Parts like triple trees for forks are vulnerable. Anything that is subject to a jarring linear force. Parts like wheel hubs or engine/transmission cases is where the material works well. It can be subject to large amounts of pressure and is very strong and lightweight. If the alloy percentages are off the in very slightest it becomes very brittle. It is not the type of metal that is soft and will mushroom, rather it tends to snap or crack. I wouldn't use it in a receiver.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:51 AM   #65
jekbrown

AKaholic #: 175516

There are no new magtac mg receivers, Fostech makes them now and they have allegedly been improved some, though Fostech isn't really saying how. If you want other Lightweight options for ARs, I suggest you use the AR15 Parts Weights Database as your guide. Just Google it.
jekbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2017, 08:00 PM   #66
JerrySexton
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162417

I have a couple of these myself. Both have MG G4 on the side. One is MTS136XXXX and the other is MTS262XXXX. I'll probably hang on to at least one of them in case of some sort of ban pops up. The other I'll probably use with a cheap kit for a truck gun.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote