Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 02:04 PM   #71
vaktathi

AKaholic #: 176848

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
Psa, make it in 10mm! Thats alot of gun for a dinky 9. Long barrel 10mm would be awesome.
I would be shocked if we ever saw a 10mm versIon. That sort of conversion is a lot of work in the reeingineering and retooling areas, and I would be surprised if PSA has that level of expertise. It's one thing to reassemble parts kits or buy old tooling and use it to make new stuff, but a conversion to a new caliber is much more difficult. PTR has been doing to Roller Delayed Blowback thing for a while and about the only non 7.62x51 gun they make is 7.62x39 where power is reduced and they arent having to upsize parts or change barrel diameters or the like, while even HK couldnt seem to get their 10mm MP5 to ever work quite right.

10mm would be cool though, just dont ever see it happening.
Old 01-16-2018, 02:11 PM   #72
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

I'm only interested in an MP5 or any SMG if it's full auto. Since I'm never going to go through the hoops to own full auto I'll pass. But for those interested this looks very promising. I wonder if this will open the door to the G3/PTR 91 style guns? Now that would be sweet. My dream is a PTR-91 style gun that doesn't weigh 50000000 lbs and shoots better than 4 moa like the century cetme
Cowboys1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 02:18 PM   #73
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
My dream is a PTR-91 style gun that doesn't weigh 50000000 lbs
Keep dreamin'
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:03 PM   #74
Floivanus

AKaholic #: 191191

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z00mie View Post
The word you're looking for is "profit".
Profit is fine, but it would take a dumb business owner to buy parts kits that sell for $1500+ and put work and money, tooling, etc to sell it for what is essentially a $1,000 or more loss.

They may have HK parts kits in stock now to 'work the bugs out' but it isn't an economically viable business venture to essentially dump a $1600 kit for a substantial loss.

I'd wager they're going to have cast parts galore and a $1,500+ forged "super patriot" version with forged parts available shortly after folks complain
Floivanus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 03:30 PM   #75
vaktathi

AKaholic #: 176848

Quote:
I'm only interested in an MP5 or any SMG if it's full auto. Since I'm never going to go through the hoops to own full auto I'll pass. But for those interested this looks very promising. I wonder if this will open the door to the G3/PTR 91 style guns? Now that would be sweet. My dream is a PTR-91 style gun that doesn't weigh 50000000 lbs and shoots better than 4 moa like the century cetme
The nature of the design and the size of the cartridge ensure that such is probably not super feasible, particularly at a price point thats sustainable and in a form anyone wants. The G3/PTR was designed in the same vein as the AK, as a relatively cheap, simple, reliable, durable, inexpensive, mass produced, "good enough" rifle for a largely conscript army. It was not designed with ergonomics, precision, or weight in mind.

There's a reason that super accurate roller delayed guns are expensive, they need some reegineering to get super precise lockup (hence why none of the major operating parts of a PSG1 are interchangeable with a G3, stuff like bolt, rollers, trunnion, locking wedge, extractor, barrel, etc). Modern manufacturing techniques and materials improvements over time can do better, getting a consistent 2-3 MoA out of a G3 style rifle is doable (and entirely acceptable for many military roles like DMR, those have until *very* recently largely been 2-3 MoA guns), but getting much more than that, consistently, is really hard, especially over large production batches. The best I've ever seen an a G3 rifle of any type, PTR or genuine HK or Century, was about 2 MoA consistently, which is still way better than most people are actually capable of shooting.

Likewise, to cut weight, between the action needing a certain amount of mass for proper functioning, and the nature of the design construction, I'm not sure you can cut much weight without fundamentally redesigning the weapon to the point that it can no longer be considered a G3 style rifle (e.g. remaking the receiver with significant polymer elements, which would necessitate reinforcement and geometry changes)
Old 01-17-2018, 12:01 PM   #76
Hoingster
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175374

Quote:
Spend less time complaining about the weight of the gun and more time in the gym. Problem solved
Hoingster is online now   Reply With Quote