Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 02-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #1
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458
Default Taking Pictures of Your Shotgun with Your SmartPhone

Being a professional Photographer this is old news to me, but I'll mention this to the folks here who're uploading shots of their boomsticks on this or any other site via their smartphones who don't want hackers/the Gov/thieves getting the Metadata/your personal info from the images taken w/your smartphones.

When you take a pic w/your cell phone and upload it, it can include personal data, your location/where you took the shot/contact info/info that can help folks clone your phone.

Before you upload, you want to strip all the data/metadata from the file which includes your pic.

I do it w/Photoshop..........I take the pic, w/whatever, or I can take it w/my cellphone. I'll then save it w/ "Save 4 web" which presents you w/a panel that gives you options to configure the metadata included in the file included w/the pic you're uploading.

So before I click "save", I'll go to the "Metadata" drop down list which has the options where I can leave the metadata alone or remove it from the file (options from the dropdown listed below).....

"None"
"copyright"
"copyright and contact info"
"all except copyright info"
"all"

.....so you can go from stripping everything from the file (except the pic), to leaving everything in.

Photoshop is an image editing program, if you don't have photoshop, or if you don't have/don't want something that expensive/complicated, search for another simpler/cheaper image editing program where you can strip the metadata off the files of the image you're uploading w/your shotgun.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:45 PM   #2
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTen View Post
Being a professional Photographer this is old news to me, but I'll mention this to the folks here who're uploading shots of their boomsticks on this or any other site via their smartphones who don't want hackers/the Gov/thieves getting the Metadata/your personal info from the images taken w/your smartphones.

When you take a pic w/your cell phone and upload it, it can include personal data, your location/where you took the shot/contact info/info that can help folks clone your phone.

Before you upload, you want to strip all the data/metadata from the file which includes your pic.

I do it w/Photoshop..........I take the pic, w/whatever, or I can take it w/my cellphone. I'll then save it w/ "Save 4 web" which presents you w/a panel that gives you options to configure the metadata included in the file included w/the pic you're uploading.

So before I click "save", I'll go to the "Metadata" drop down list which has the options where I can leave the metadata alone or remove it from the file (options from the dropdown listed below).....

"None"
"copyright"
"copyright and contact info"
"all except copyright info"
"all"

.....so you can go from stripping everything from the file (except the pic), to leaving everything in.

Photoshop is an image editing program, if you don't have photoshop, or if you don't have/don't want something that expensive/complicated, search for another simpler/cheaper image editing program where you can strip the metadata off the files of the image you're uploading w/your shotgun.
If photoshop's all you got, great.

For this purpose, it's like using a 50t hydraulic press to smash a fly.

Lots more options from Uncle Google: How to strip image metadata
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 02:52 PM   #3
AllTen

I used to say the same thing by saying that's "Swatting Flies w/A Sledgehammer!!!!"

LOL..................All I can do is tell you how I do it, w/whatever I got. I don't have anything special; but I do have something.

And of course there are probably countless options out there.............the cheaper/the easier, the better; which is great!!!!

PS: When I mentioned "countless options" via some of the simpler image editing programs out there, I should've specified I meant they're next to nothing in terms of cost, or free.

Watch out for the free image editing programs though (or free software in general), a number of them say free, but that's actually "baiting" you; they're hoping you won't pay attention to the fine print when uploading them, and when you finally check "I agree", they might change your browser/reconfigure your computer/tablet, or install malware in your computer/tablet you don't want.
Anytime somebody says they're giving you something free............watch out!!!!!

Last edited by AllTen; 02-13-2018 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:36 PM   #4
AllTen

Ask John McAfee, a fugitive who blew his exact location, what they can do w/metadata............

And I mean John McAfee the anti-virus honcho......

https://petapixel.com/2012/12/03/exi...e-john-mcafee/

Last edited by AllTen; 02-13-2018 at 11:59 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 03:16 AM   #5
nalioth

Imagemagick works on all three major OS'

It is an open source command line program.

Code:
mogrify -strip /path/to/image.jpg
The above takes more time to type ( for most of you ) than it does to run, and it strips out every single bit of metadata from the targeted image.

With Imagemagick, you can draw images from the command line, and thousands of other image-manipulation tasks, such as

• "Make web ready" ( reduce data size )

• "Scale" ( reduce your 10k native camera images to something viewable for mere mortals )
Old 02-14-2018, 03:37 PM   #6
AllTen

Out of curiosity, I went several places to check out this, and also here....

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ImageMagick

First off, in the way the software is being characterized, I'd ask, is all this accurate, or a description by somebody who doesn't know what he's talking about?

I ask because in the History at the top of the article, whoever wrote this says.......

.............................."In May 2016, it was reported that ImageMagick had a vulnerability through which an attacker can execute arbitrary code on servers that use the application to edit user-uploaded images.[5] Security experts including CloudFlare researchers observed actual use of the vulnerability in active hacking attempts.[6] The security flaw was due to ImageMagick calling backend tools without first properly checking to ensure path and file names are free of improper shell commands."..........................

Do you know firsthand if the above statement is accurate? And if it is, have they addressed the issue?

I hope so, because just taking a peek at this, the software certainly seems to do a lot.

Just "nitpicking"............I didn't see Adobe colorspace in the colorspace options, but that's probably not essential to somebody taking a quick shot of a boomstick w/their phone. Well............."no biggie".

I do like seeing free software that at least makes an effort to give you legitimate value, and speaking plainly..............referring to what you said previously in another way, unless you're into serious photography, you don't need the expense of getting Photoshop to clean up photos.

Last edited by AllTen; 02-14-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:46 PM   #7
nalioth

Imagemagick is open source software and that "vulnerability" has long been patched.

Wikipedia . . . .

*sigh*

So much potential, and it ends up being a drama showcase for some ( like opponents of Imagemagick )
Old 02-14-2018, 10:50 PM   #8
AllTen

Not for me........................glad it's been fixed.........................I'm for anything that works.
Old 02-14-2018, 10:55 PM   #9
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllTen View Post
Not for me........................glad it's been fixed.........................I'm for anything that works.
I don't understand.

Imagemagick powers the vast majority of web servers out there ( that run linux, anyway )

There's absolutely nothing wrong with it, else it would not be intrinsic to linux web servers.

If you're a windows (l)user, it can be a bit interesting to get it installed & learn how to use it, but once you get it figured out, you can make your own batch files drop targets that do certain things whenever you drop an image on them ( such as "remove metadata" )
Old 02-14-2018, 11:17 PM   #10
AllTen

What's not to understand Naolith?

I agree w/this statement.........................

"So much potential, and it ends up being a drama showcase for some ( like opponents of Imagemagick )".................

Thus, my response: "Not for me"......................Means...............Not an opponent..................Yes you're right, also, I'm not one of those............I agree......................Sounds good to me...............

My statement: "Glad it's been fixed"------Translation--------I like it.

Got it.

Last edited by AllTen; 02-15-2018 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #11
AllTen

Did some brief checking to see if they're are any alternatives in addition to what's been discussed here for removing exif/metadata from your pics.

Computer wise..........If you've got windows, you can steer toward your image in Explorer and once you open the image, go to the top and click on "properties" and it gives you can option for creating a copy w/everything removed. I don't do it this way, so I can't vouch for it's effectiveness, so experiment w/this for yourself.

Also, evidently there are simple apps/exif removers you can download to your phone which can clean up your pics on the spot without having to bother w/playing around w/the pics on your computer, which I figure most folks would prefer to do to save hassle.

I did some more searching around for image editing software (for computer upload), and there's a bunch, but there's a number of them that don't seem to be as safe as the software Naolith is talking about, nor do they have folks following through w/the patches needed for any fix that comes up. There's one that seems to be hopelessly infected.

I may be wrong but it seems the simplest route to consider for most is getting one of the apps for your phone if you don't want to bother messing w/pics on a computer.

Last edited by AllTen; 02-16-2018 at 03:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2018, 02:52 AM   #12
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

I watched an interesting video made at a seminar/ lecture in Budapest Hungary, and the American lecturer explained to the assembled young (20 to 30ish mostly Hungarian's) that the Smart Phone and its equivalent brands were invented by persons who took the technology primarily from Government projects related to spying and defense purposes.
In essence that the mobile phone in its various incarnations, is a direct product of the Military/ Surveillance / Industrial Complex of the American Government. Every single aspect of it is connected to the Military Industrial/ Surveillance Complex of our CIA, NSA, and Pentagon.
Regrettably, most of our citizens just don't get it.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 03:46 AM   #13
nalioth

You'd be surprised at the number of consumer technologies that are directly ( or indirectly ) based on military/industrial/surveillance components produced at government behest.

Gov spends for the discovery / evolution of technology today - Janie Soccermom gets tupperware tomorrow
Old 02-17-2018, 01:33 PM   #14
AllTen

Remember the old half-joke about the guy telling his buddy.......

"just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're not out to get you....."

Doesn't make any difference who compiled this list, there probably more programs that nobody knows about........

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...lance_projects

and this........

https://www.wired.com/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/

The whole worlds communications is going on supercomputers including every phone conversation you've ever had, email got or sent, text, pic you sent or got, bank business you conducted w/your smartphone, everything.

Including knowing where you were, when you did whatever you did.

I keep telling my kids, don't say anything, do anything, send anything, from a smartphone/tablet/computer that you have no business doing/that somebody can use against you, because it's being written down in stone by somebody.