Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Survival and Preparedness

Notices

Old 02-27-2018, 07:59 PM   #71
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

If I wanted a guard dog, I’d get a small mastiff breed, a Rottweiler, or a doberman. A german Shepherd dog is not a bad choice either... there is a reason the police use them.

The mastiffs I would consider are the Cane Corso and the Presa Canario. They’re known to be a little intimidating and aggressive... both are a little bigger than a doberman. The Cane Corso has historically been a personal protection dog. Being that’s what it’s name means...

Presa Canarios and Cane Corso’s are supposed to have some of the strongest bites among domesticated dogs, being they’re both mastiff type bullies. 2+ times more powerful. than a pit bull’s bite supposedly. They’re quick too dispite their size... only time I’ve seen a Presa was as catch dogs. They put the pits to shame.

My main pick would be a doberman... or if I lived somewhere it got really cold, the GSD. These dogs are very aggressive and aren’t small pups so know what you’re committing to...

Last edited by NMGuy; 02-27-2018 at 08:15 PM.
NMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 11:36 PM   #72
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

AKaholic #: 162925

I just got a new pup, a DDR German Shepherd. Merc is 8 months old weighs 104 lbs. He'll be going for his 5th protection training session next week. Tons of drive, trainer says he has a real good bite, but he's a real confident mellow guy around the house and people. I've had GSD's, Dobies, and Rotts all my life. All good family members and protectors. A vital aspect of any home defense plan.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:20 AM   #73
bravo lima

AKaholic #: 187837

Big strong puppy you have there! My DDR male is still going strong and he's 12.

bravo lima is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 AM   #74
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo lima View Post
Big strong puppy you have there! My DDR male is still going strong and he's 12.

He's a great looking guy too! He looks good and young for 12.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:38 AM   #75
MattK512

AKaholic #: 178705

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoatGuyFL View Post
Hes got a point. Years ago lived with a few other guys in a big house we rented on the water and one roommate had a chihuahua and a large boxer.

We came to appreciate the chihuahuas 'early warning radar'... if a leaf turned over in the driveway, she'd alert, mildly bark and stare at the front door. If a louder noise happened, she bark enough to wake up the boxer...lol.

I hate my little Chihuahua, but she has never failed to alert prior to anyone knocking on my door. Most times I am able to get up from my desk in the office and I open the door before whoever approaches is on the front porch

Best little alarm dog and her turds are small, too
MattK512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 12:51 PM   #76
bravo lima

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK-91 View Post
He's a great looking guy too! He looks good and young for 12.
Younger in this pic...maybe 7?
Old 03-03-2018, 01:02 PM   #77
JudgeandJury

AKaholic #: 180145

Bloodhound?
JudgeandJury is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 01:03 PM   #78
Eugene Onegin
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3958

Concur.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
Doberman. I own two I might be biased.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:32 PM   #79
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravo lima View Post
Younger in this pic...maybe 7?
Ahh ok, still a good pic. Good to hear he's doing good at that age. Hope you get another 12 good years with him. I've had 3 other Shepherds and these DDR's are in a class of their own. I'm loving getting used to Merc, wish I were younger to be able to do more activity with him but we get by. Told his trainer Merc's mission is to hold on to the bad guy until I can draw a bead with the AK. He laughed and said practice shooting at the ground cause that's where the bad guy will be, and just be careful you don't shoot Merc by accident.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:14 PM   #80
HKaltwasser

AKaholic #: 55056

Quote:
I just got a new pup, a DDR German Shepherd. Merc is 8 months old weighs 104 lbs. He'll be going for his 5th protection training session next week. Tons of drive, trainer says he has a real good bite, but he's a real confident mellow guy around the house and people. I've had GSD's, Dobies, and Rotts all my life. All good family members and protectors. A vital aspect of any home defense plan.

Nice DDR's! I take it you're doing Schutzhund training?
HKaltwasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2018, 11:26 PM   #81
HK-91
Way out of box thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by HKaltwasser View Post
Nice DDR's! I take it you're doing Schutzhund training?
No Personal Protection training.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:00 PM   #82
Hallow
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169535

Any thoughts on a good guard dog for hot climates?
Hallow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 10:37 PM   #83
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

For Hot climates, like Texas, Arizona - Florida - Rhodesian Ridgeback, Presa Canario,
Boerboel, Catahoula Hound, Black Mouth Cur, or similar. Am sure there are others.
As far as costs and training, the Rhodesian Rideback and Presa Canario will set one back the most. Out of all of these the Presa Canario is the most formidible - as in bite the bad guy's arms off formidable. Just the Look and bark of one of the Presa Canario Dog is very intimidating. Lots of fine video on the web that shows off any of the digs I just mentioned. I just watched one on You Tube I think which was a recent video comparison of a Rotweiller and Presa Canario. The Presa Canario and Cane Corso are however dogs that are so large and muscular that they require at minimum a basic level of effective training to establish basic commands and dominance by the owner.
I live in Central Florida, and a lot of people own dogs but they are mostly in door dogs used to air-conditioning. Farmers and Ranchers and other rural dwellers usually have out door dogs, such as the black mouth cur or similar hunting type dog. My own Black Mouth Cur is a bit over 60 lbs and has a muscular body and extremely powerful jaws and bark.

Last edited by Disburse-Now; 03-04-2018 at 11:38 PM.
Disburse-Now is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #84
bravo lima

Marines used dobermans during WWII in the tropics marching toward Japan with stellar results. They even have an memorial for those dogs. My two love the heat.
Old 03-31-2018, 09:31 PM   #85
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359
Cool Dobermann

Dobermann was the best dog I ever had.
Nobody ever came close to messing with the family with that dog around
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 10:47 AM   #86
bravo lima

Dobies Rock!
Old 04-01-2018, 03:49 PM   #87
Er98ah

AKaholic #: 190651

i would go with a belgian malinois, however, they are super high energy, and can be a liability, there is a reason why they are nick named maligators. Second option would be an eastern european german shepherd. They are a little sharper in temperament, and higher energy than western shepherds. Their is an excellent breeder in the czech republic, you can find them at eurosportk9.com.

overall i like the sheperds because of their very loyal, serious dogs, intelligent, easy to train, and strong and tough enough. Belgians are a little bit harder to train, are not as intelligent as sheperds, but they make up for it in drive, and speed.
Er98ah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2018, 04:15 PM   #88
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

The god damn American pit bull. I have 2. At one time I was a pit bull hater and lost a Rhodesian ridgeback to pits.

I have 2 a lab/Doberman mix and a pug. My smaller pit bull would die for me. I have a huge pit that is smart as hell.

Great with kids and balanced from not being a death machine and not being docile and pussy.

Other ones I’d recommend are German Shepards, Dobermans, Malinois, and those Boerboels look legit.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///
Originally posted by ColonelKorn

According to another long-term ALS survivor, Jason Becker, the disease doesn't affect the ability to lay pipe. Imagine Hawking's robot voice saying, "Yes. Yes. Shake those. Titties. Bitch.."
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 11:38 AM   #89
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

A pure bred American Staffordshire Terrier, is a good dog to have around, avoid the mixed up and inbred ones, they are unpredictable.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:45 AM   #90
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

Really think about climate and location as well. What works in Montana will not work in Florida. Heat and cold tolerance, terrain, etc. All guardian breeds are capable of their job, but pick one up that fits your regional climate appropriately.

Putbulls are not good guard dogs. Never have been. If you find a blood line that is, the breeder screwed up bad, as the breed was never designed for the job mentally.

Southern states, I vote doberman and malanois just for heat tolerance.
Mid Atlantic, you're sort of open to discretion. There isn't nearly enough snow or cold to concern yourself with that, however summers still get pretty hot. Northern states, get one with an undercoat or good cold tolerance. Shepard's, Rottweiler, etc. It's cold or coldish most of the year, and summer days rarely crack 87.

As much as I love american bulldogs, as I've owned 2, their heat tolerance just isn't there. I've taken both to the vet due to heat stroke on 90+ degree days when they were a bit older. It was partially my fault, however they weren't out for more than 10 mins. However, American bulldogs would do great in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm in Florida, and a doberman is on my short list. I have 3 dogs currently, so space is a bit.limited. So far, my attack pugs have kept the bad guys at bay in my beach town.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 07:37 PM   #91
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

Quote:
Originally Posted by theserb View Post
Really think about climate and location as well. What works in Montana will not work in Florida. Heat and cold tolerance, terrain, etc. All guardian breeds are capable of their job, but pick one up that fits your regional climate appropriately.

Putbulls are not good guard dogs. Never have been. If you find a blood line that is, the breeder screwed up bad, as the breed was never designed for the job mentally.

Southern states, I vote doberman and malanois just for heat tolerance.
Mid Atlantic, you're sort of open to discretion. There isn't nearly enough snow or cold to concern yourself with that, however summers still get pretty hot. Northern states, get one with an undercoat or good cold tolerance. Shepard's, Rottweiler, etc. It's cold or coldish most of the year, and summer days rarely crack 87.

As much as I love american bulldogs, as I've owned 2, their heat tolerance just isn't there. I've taken both to the vet due to heat stroke on 90+ degree days when they were a bit older. It was partially my fault, however they weren't out for more than 10 mins. However, American bulldogs would do great in the Pacific Northwest.

I'm in Florida, and a doberman is on my short list. I have 3 dogs currently, so space is a bit.limited. So far, my attack pugs have kept the bad guys at bay in my beach town.
Mine is a good guard dog who won't let you into the house if he doesn't like you! He is also very protective of the yard too. Heat isn't good for most dogs, think how you'd feel if you were wearing a fur coat in 90 degree weather! His brother is even more protective, don't come near his place if he don't know you! Both dogs are over 75 lbs each.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:50 PM   #92
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

Quote:
Originally Posted by insider View Post
Mine is a good guard dog who won't let you into the house if he doesn't like you! He is also very protective of the yard too. Heat isn't good for most dogs, think how you'd feel if you were wearing a fur coat in 90 degree weather! His brother is even more protective, don't come near his place if he don't know you! Both dogs are over 75 lbs each.
That's a good sized staffy.

Only reason I brought up heat tolerance is if the AC goes out. Florida has regular power outages. I end up with my pugs in my car in the AC once or twice a year.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 10:07 AM   #93
bravo lima

Quote:
I will be getting 2 Gsd DDR pups, a male and female when they reach 8 weeks early June. Both from the same litter and of course not for breeding. Hope they look at least half as good as your dog HK!
Old 04-30-2018, 10:43 PM   #94
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Seems if you raise 'em from puppys most Dogs will protect thier Families,
I've had mostly hounds after I was out on my own @18.......Bluetick, Treeing Walkers,
When I was a Kid , had two St Bernards one was huge185-190, his Father weighed 220
the other one was 130 , faithful, loyal , strong as hell, especially the BIG one
He got real mean as he aged ,
One time two creeps attempted to steal him as he lay in the yard on his back ,feet up in the air ,
Pick up slo-rolled by ,backed up & creep gets out & trys to walk up on "Willy"
BIG mistake he was up & almost had the SOB , but creep got to the truck&jumped in the bed
My teenage Sister was only one home , or they both would've laid where they stood when Troopers showed up
After THAT episode Ol' Willy was DEATH on any strangers, had to really watch him
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death
madmanmccoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 02:14 PM   #95
armchair_warrior
Banned

AKaholic #: 73690

I just use both wired and battery power motion detectors. Cheaper and they work all day and night etc... No worry about food or shit or cleaning them.
armchair_warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 03:01 PM   #96
bravo lima

True but they won't love you back and take a bullet...just say'n.