Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 01:08 AM   #1
ahillock

AKaholic #: 183413
Default Owners: Is the Galil ACE 5.56 worth it?

Just curious from current owners of the GAR 5.56 and whether you are still happy with it and think it is worth its current price of around $1600? I'm debating getting one but wondering if the price is worth it vs. what else I could get. Plus $200 to get a new handguard for it.

I assume you guys are happy and would buy it again?
ahillock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:35 AM   #2
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

Just FYI, Micro Galil HGs will fit, if you don't mind going minimalist. If you like rails, stick with the factory one. It might look thick, but in reality it is not.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:02 AM   #3
COJeff

AKaholic #: 178039

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Just FYI, Micro Galil HGs will fit, if you don't mind going minimalist. If you like rails, stick with the factory one. It might look thick, but in reality it is not.
Photos?
COJeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 03:17 PM   #4
ahillock

So are you happy with it mishaco? Rather than go with a Micro Galil HG, I would probably go with a Midwest Industries or RS Regulate handguard (if they ever get released). I just know from reviews that I would want to upgrade the stock handguard and that is probably the only mod I would want to do right off the bat.

Just curious how you owners feelings are with it and if you think it is worth its price?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:42 PM   #5
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

AKaholic #: 154920

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahillock View Post
Just curious from current owners of the GAR 5.56 and whether you are still happy with it and think it is worth its current price of around $1600? I'm debating getting one but wondering if the price is worth it vs. what else I could get. Plus $200 to get a new handguard for it.

I assume you guys are happy and would buy it again?
they are excellent rifles, i personally think they are worth the price.

Old 11-09-2017, 07:02 PM   #6
ahillock

^ Looks great. I assume accuracy is as accurate as any other rifle in its class, just depends on which ammo you use?
Old 11-09-2017, 10:06 PM   #7
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahillock View Post
^ Looks great. I assume accuracy is as accurate as any other rifle in its class, just depends on which ammo you use?
shot around 2 with wolf gold. Honestly with that ammo it was quite acceptable.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:16 PM   #8
OhioPatriot

AKaholic #: 182353

I've been eyeing the 556 pistol and rifle. Has anyone chronographed them? Also I believe Atlantic has them on sale(not sure what models currently), just add to cart to see the sale price.
OhioPatriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 11:01 PM   #9
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPatriot View Post
I've been eyeing the 556 pistol and rifle. Has anyone chronographed them? Also I believe Atlantic has them on sale(not sure what models currently), just add to cart to see the sale price.
Was going to sell mine to pick up a B&T while they are on sale then pick up another Galil later. I figured mine was already sighted and shooting nice tight groups I might as well just hang on to it and pick up a B&T later.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:08 AM   #10
ahillock

Quote:
Originally Posted by FullAssault View Post
shot around 2 with wolf gold. Honestly with that ammo it was quite acceptable.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioPatriot View Post
Atlantic only has the pistol in stock. I didn't see any of the 16" in stock. Also, you can find the pistol for $100 cheaper than Atlantic elsewhere online.
Old 11-13-2017, 10:59 PM   #11
burninglegs
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183372

In the AR world, low $1000 range gets lot of AR for the money. LWRC comes to mind. Top tier. If willing to go mid tier, could get two for the price of one Galil ACE. Hard pressed to pay current price unless it is just one of those just haves. Definitely isn't a no brainer purchase because of being a fantastic deal imo.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 03:08 AM   #12
FullAssault
☆ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ☆

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
In the AR world, low $1000 range gets lot of AR for the money. LWRC comes to mind. Top tier. If willing to go mid tier, could get two for the price of one Galil ACE. Hard pressed to pay current price unless it is just one of those just haves. Definitely isn't a no brainer purchase because of being a fantastic deal imo.
No doubt ARs are easy on the funds right now, that said the ace is worth the $ imo.
Old 11-14-2017, 04:20 AM   #13
mishaco

AKaholic #: 190226

Posted this in the 'General Discussion' subforum but....

https://youtu.be/JFqDktXVUrM

A video with us shooting and discussing both the Ace pistol and carbine, as well as 7.62x39, 5.56, and .308 variants.

I got my GAR from Atlantic, taking advantage of their sale price. I thought it was entirely reasonable for a non-AR15 .223.

Something to consider, yes AR15s are less money...and they also have less resale value.
I bet anyone who buys into an Ace when on sale, wouldn't have too difficult of a time getting most or even all of their money back out of it later if the need arose.

In the end, I just enjoy how mine shoots and like that it is a Galil, all be it in a modernized form.
Plus hey, we waited a long time for these to come to market, especially the 5.56 versions so why not enjoy one for awhile?

Will I still ahve mine in 10 years? Maybe, maybe not..might sell it later to get something else, or it might become one of my favorites. That's what happened with the CZ 805...bought it figuring I'd shoot it a few times and then move it along, and now its one of my all-time favorites. Guns can be funny like that.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 10:43 AM   #14
Cold1

AKaholic #: 185273

Is the 556 Galil worth $1600 when you can get a Bren 805 for $1300?
That was my question.

I bought a Bren. I do like and want a Galil. It's next on the list. Not sure which flavor.

I can't find any evidence the Galil is $300 better than the Bren. I doubt it's $500 better than LWRC either. I just don't like AR's and am selling almost all of mine.
Old 11-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #15
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

If the Bren were $500 more, would it be worth $200 more than the ACE?

Or is that Metric more of a false narrative?
Old 11-14-2017, 08:22 PM   #16
lowprone
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3254

Horse, you devils advocate you !
lowprone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #17
ahillock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
If the Bren were $500 more, would it be worth $200 more than the ACE?

Or is that Metric more of a false narrative?
That is what I am trying to figure out from current owners.

From what I have read and been told, the Bren is slightly higher in terms of quality and fit and finish than the ACE from those that have shot and owned both.

I just want to know if current ACE 5.56 owners are still happy with it and would recommend it at current pricing, or if they would recommend something else for the money. You know, I'm just trying to do my due diligence.