Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-21-2019, 01:54 PM   #561
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

Reading Izhmash's website, it still says the Vityaz can be had with either a siderail or toprail, but its an either/or thing and not both.

Many Americans bitch about siderails... don't really get why? but they do.
So KUSA was probably smart in going with the more modern looking toprail.
Plus again, this is a 9mm and not a .308 or even .223, so its not as if a pin-point perfect and stable 8x mag optic is required or even useful.
As long as a reddot can be mounted and hold a solid zero at a couple hundred yards (max) then its all good.

I did another crack inspection lastnight while checking the serial for you all, and still nothing that i can feel. If there is one, its thin enough to seem smooth to me *shrug*.

In othernews, i just hit myself in the face with a Bulgarian 'bakelite" buttstock lol.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 01:58 PM   #562
Gewehr44
Classic Member

AKaholic #: 25360

My AK9 handguard arrived from Russia today. Doesn't fit, looks like it will need some material removed to fit the KP9. Oh well.. Has anyone tried installing a normal Russian (non-railed) polymer lower on theirs? Just wondering if it doesn't fit either. I have some original Vityaz 30rd magazines coming soon. I'll do a compare and contrast of those.

Gewehr44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #563
monkeydo
Veteran Member
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 195631

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gewehr44 View Post
My AK9 handguard arrived from Russia today. Doesn't fit, looks like it will need some material removed to fit the KP9. Oh well.. Has anyone tried installing a normal Russian (non-railed) polymer lower on theirs? Just wondering if it doesn't fit either. I have some original Vityaz 30rd magazines coming soon. I'll do a compare and contrast of those.

If it makes you feel any better, the AK9 handguard barely fit on my SGL-21. It’s a tight fit.
"Before a standing army can rule, the people must be disarmed, as they are in almost every country in Europe. The supreme power in America cannot enforce unjust laws by the sword; because the whole body of the people are armed, and constitute a force superior to any band of regular troops."
- Noah Webster
monkeydo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:17 PM   #564
Erreertt

AKaholic #: 199367

Impact guns has some just now...better hurry
Erreertt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:22 PM   #565
Erreertt

Someone was knocking earlier ... I missed it in shower. I'm hoping it wasnt my kp9 back from repair. Sbr stamp I'm hoping will be min. Wednesday in shooting it so the stamp better fly lol
Old 03-21-2019, 04:23 PM   #566
Noodle_2000

AKaholic #: 192156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erreertt View Post
Impact guns has some just now...better hurry
WE WANT KP NOT KR jk hope whoever wants it snags it at this price and not that garbage Gunbroker price
Noodle_2000 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 04:44 PM   #567
Erreertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noodle_2000 View Post
WE WANT KP NOT KR jk hope whoever wants it snags it at this price and not that garbage Gunbroker price
Yep just read again and seen it said kr9.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:07 PM   #568
Gewehr44
Classic Member

Quote:
Someone was knocking earlier ... I missed it in shower. I'm hoping it wasnt my kp9 back from repair. Sbr stamp I'm hoping will be min. Wednesday in shooting it so the stamp better fly lol
Post here when your stamp returns. ATF got my prints on the 14th of March. We're around the same time frame. I'm eager to see if e-file is fast as they say.
Old 03-21-2019, 05:34 PM   #569
dakotastomm
07/02 FFL
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 182483

Quote:

Gotta mod the rear of the handguard to clear the receiver and spoteelded reinforcement. I fit mine in about 10 min
Old 03-21-2019, 05:45 PM   #570
dakotastomm
07/02 FFL
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 182483

Stock one in the left, railed handguard on the right. I did it on my desktop mill with and end mill. Went slow and just based it off the old handguard.
Old 03-22-2019, 03:16 AM   #571
Erreertt

Quote:
Post here when your stamp returns. ATF got my prints on the 14th of March. We're around the same time frame. I'm eager to see if e-file is fast as they say.
My prints should have been 13th or 14th. A guy in my area just got his in 10days. So lets hope lets hope
Old 03-22-2019, 09:16 AM   #572
uao85
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158002

Just got notification from impact yesterday that my kp9 shipped. I have been on backorder and have been eyeballing the gunbroker pieces, as ridiculous as the prices are. Glad I waited. Got notification that my mags were on their way too!! Hoping they rectified the top cover situation since it is a later production pistol.
uao85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:10 AM   #573
Erreertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by uao85 View Post
Just got notification from impact yesterday that my kp9 shipped. I have been on backorder and have been eyeballing the gunbroker pieces, as ridiculous as the prices are. Glad I waited. Got notification that my mags were on their way too!! Hoping they rectified the top cover situation since it is a later production pistol.
I was one of the first back in jan to get one. Got offered 1500 for the pistol no mag no stock by another youtuber. Wish I would have took it lol!
Old 03-22-2019, 10:14 AM   #574
HuskerZ

AKaholic #: 171990

Quote:
How long ago did you do the backorder? I keep thinking of doing the same...
HuskerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:49 AM   #575
uao85
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 158002

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerZ View Post
How long ago did you do the backorder? I keep thinking of doing the same...
I ordered March 1st. Got email notification that they had the pistols in stock and I was a few minutes too late. Went ahead with the backorder. I figured I would order and forget about it. Also ordered some mags when they came into stock on the 8th, but got a notification 2 days later they were also backordered. Got notification of shipment for both yesterday at 530pm.
uao85 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 11:40 AM   #576
HuskerZ

AKaholic #: 171990

Quote:
I ordered March 1st. Got email notification that they had the pistols in stock and I was a few minutes too late. Went ahead with the backorder. I figured I would order and forget about it. Also ordered some mags when they came into stock on the 8th, but got a notification 2 days later they were also backordered. Got notification of shipment for both yesterday at 530pm.
Appreciate the info!
HuskerZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 09:47 PM   #577
Known

AKaholic #: 198112

I picked my KR-9 up today from my FFL and it's very nice. The upper handguard is a bit loose with some wobble. I think Mishaco mentioned having this issue as well. Anyone else experienced this and is there an easy way to tighten it up?
Known is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 10:54 PM   #578
Erreertt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Known View Post
I picked my KR-9 up today from my FFL and it's very nice. The upper handguard is a bit loose with some wobble. I think Mishaco mentioned having this issue as well. Anyone else experienced this and is there an easy way to tighten it up?
Wow mine took a loaded semi impact to get back on. My bottom is wobbly though. And the hand grip
Old 03-22-2019, 11:37 PM   #579
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:
Wow mine took a loaded semi impact to get back on. My bottom is wobbly though. And the hand grip
As I mentioned earlier, on the top you push down then at the same time push back toward the RSB and it drops right in.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 04:13 PM   #580
Gewehr44
Classic Member

Quote:
My plastic upper rotated with ease on my KP9. I removed it by hand and installed a Russian handguard upper from Kvar and it's a better fit. The original US upper would weeble wobble back and forth when I held the pistol. No fitting required.. perfect fit.

https://www.k-var.com/upper-handguar...izhmash-russia

Last edited by Gewehr44; 03-23-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:56 PM   #581
Known

Quote:
My plastic upper rotated with ease on my KP9. I removed it by hand and installed a Russian handguard upper from Kvar and it's a better fit. The original US upper would weeble wobble back and forth when I held the pistol. No fitting required.. perfect fit.

https://www.k-var.com/upper-handguar...izhmash-russia
Thanks for the info. I may give that a try.

On another note, I took my KR-9 out and put about 240 rounds through it with a buddy. Before I got to the range I noticed that the rear sight was floppy once I turned the rifle upside down and it would just hang. The leaf spring fell out too when turning the rifle upside down. Tried to re-insert it back together, but couldn't get it to stay back put. I'll be following up with K-USA here shortly on how to get this addressed unless I can get it to fit back in.

Does anyone else's rear sight flop loose when turning their KP-9/KR-9 over?

IMGUR pics of sight and spring:
https://imgur.com/a/o0gofGG

I was able to hit steels targets surprisingly easy even without the rear sight. I was so excited to shoot it though.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:15 PM   #582
ddnc
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174853

Quote:

I was able to hit steels targets surprisingly easy even without the rear sight. I was so excited to shoot it though.
Close to 400 on the pistol. Zero issues. These are MP5 accurate maybe a tad better. Certainly equal. Clover leafs @50 M and easily able to hit aluminum can bottoms at 100M. Those are about 3 inches in diameter.
Optic for now is a Bushnell TR-25.
ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:18 PM   #583
beanz2

AKaholic #: 158524

Curious intersecting paths at the LGS today. The KP-9 is going to an unmentioned company for a secret project and the AK-V is going for the "PSA spa treatment".

Neither are coming home with me for a few weeks
beanz2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 08:30 PM   #584
Gewehr44
Classic Member

Quote:
Thanks for the info. I may give that a try.

On another note, I took my KR-9 out and put about 240 rounds through it with a buddy. Before I got to the range I noticed that the rear sight was floppy once I turned the rifle upside down and it would just hang. The leaf spring fell out too when turning the rifle upside down. Tried to re-insert it back together, but couldn't get it to stay back put. I'll be following up with K-USA here shortly on how to get this addressed unless I can get it to fit back in.

Does anyone else's rear sight flop loose when turning their KP-9/KR-9 over?

IMGUR pics of sight and spring:
https://imgur.com/a/o0gofGG

I'm sorry to hear that. These pistols sure have some goofy teething issues.
Old 03-23-2019, 08:31 PM   #585
Billsfan

AKaholic #: 158083

To me they both look great and it seems like PSA has fixed their issues. I know i will be ordering one of each.
Billsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 09:27 PM   #586
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

For me, it was a loose lower handguard. A bit of black electrical tape though and it became plenty tight. Just wrap the large tab that goes in the receiver.
Its a solution that any Russian would approve of.

My rear sight is as tight as any other AK i own.

The upper handguard/gas tube thing isn't unique. That retaining/retention spring has been a staple of AKs since the early days of the AK74. It is a common feature on both Russian and Bulgarian guns.
If you look at your Arsenal or SGL, they'll have it too.
Just press down and back towards the receiver and there will be a gentle pop/snap and the gas tube will seat nicely into place, and with minimal to no play too.
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:32 AM   #587
Known

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
For me, it was a loose lower handguard. A bit of black electrical tape though and it became plenty tight. Just wrap the large tab that goes in the receiver.
Its a solution that any Russian would approve of.

My rear sight is as tight as any other AK i own.

The upper handguard/gas tube thing isn't unique. That retaining/retention spring has been a staple of AKs since the early days of the AK74. It is a common feature on both Russian and Bulgarian guns.
If you look at your Arsenal or SGL, they'll have it too.
Just press down and back towards the receiver and there will be a gentle pop/snap and the gas tube will seat nicely into place, and with minimal to no play too.

Thanks for the input on the upper handguard. I'll try reseating it back into place to see if that helps. I went ahead and emailed KUSA's customer service this morning with the issue. I will update back on how it's handled.

ETA: I already heard back from KUSA's VP of sales within an hour of emailing them(Sunday morning) and he said they will be reaching out later today with further detail for sending the rifle back for repair.

Last edited by Known; Yesterday at 08:48 AM. Reason: Response from vendor
Old Yesterday, 04:52 PM   #588
Machak_Silver

AKaholic #: 192983

Quote:

Normal Russian handguards do not fit on Vitiaz or Saiga 9. So KR-9 seems to be build "to spec". The problem is - original spec is not perfect.
Machak_Silver is online now   Reply With Quote