Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 02-18-2018, 03:43 PM   #36
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Bet a popsicle stick and a pair of dirty socks they'll just send a different rifle.

No matter, same parts equal same results in most situations.

It is great for Leaders, that men can not think for themselves.
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 03:57 PM   #37
Ultra150
Banned

AKaholic #: 182457

Quote:
Originally Posted by paratrooper101 View Post
airsoft parts. im convinced all the "american made" parts are actually made in china and just stamped US here. especially a stock like that. i want a US manufacture to do a complete video showing the manufacturing process of all the AK components. you know what? none of them will.
My MAK 90 has none of these issues so blaming Chinese mnfg is a red herring.

The company whose name is on the product is responsible. Full stop.
Ultra150 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:39 PM   #38
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Great customer service cannot be the fix to a broken product, itís icing on the cake if what you are selling is a good product but people donít buy AKís expecting to have to deal with customer service, they want a war gun to take to hell and back and know itís dependable

PSA-start building them like that instead
Old 02-18-2018, 04:58 PM   #39
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post
Great customer service cannot be the fix to a broken product, itís icing on the cake if what you are selling is a good product but people donít buy AKís expecting to have to deal with customer service, they want a war gun to take to hell and back and know itís dependable

DDI had that stellar customer service that it seems every customer had 1st hand experience with!

But I gotta hand it to any manufacturer who will hang in the Files Kitchen. Shame that it happens, and we'll soon be a forum talking to each other instead of talking to the actual people who can make a difference.
rbox1064 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 05:24 PM   #40
Maadi

AKaholic #: 193622

It’s good to know they have a lifetime warranty. They are gonna be losing money on these if people actually shoot them, but they will certainly learn from their mistakes by actually fixing them.

I do hope PSA is successful with their AK venture. The future looks very bleak for American made AK’s right now though. I will say, if anyone can do it, it is PSA—if they don’t give up.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #41
paratrooper101
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 4790

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra150 View Post

differents times. look at all the airsoft grade firearm parts flooding the market. the chinese junk isnt a crack at tried and true chinese firearms like maks.
its been taking over the AR market and i think its going to do the same with the ak market.
paratrooper101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 06:59 PM   #42
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post

The thing is, AKs arenít AR15s. Itís been said on the boards a dozen times or so in the time Iíve been here alone, the exact specs on the steel, precision production info from Калашников etc simply donít exist in the West, so a new production of AKs WILL include trial and error. And as long as PSA stands by their product, and looks at the rifles sent back to learn what went wrong to change their methods moving forward, weíre not gonna see perfection today, but theyíll get there.

Even your precious WASR was a piece of shit at one point.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 11:51 PM   #43
Ned Flanders

AKaholic #: 3462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra150 View Post

You can't compare a military factory built AK using good steel to what a small company that usually makes toys would use for steel. There isn't just one grade of steel as I'm sure you know.
Ned Flanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:17 PM   #44
Evil_Ryu

AKaholic #: 195557

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
I love PSA, but that trunnion looks eerily similar to all the C39V2ís that have issues with the right locking lug. I will never buy an American AK.
My PSAK's right trunion looks like that as well after 600 rounds. It was a little tough working the bolt back when the rifle was new, now I know why.

On the other hand, besides a broken extractor after the first 300 rounds, it's gotten very smooth and the surplus Serbian mags from Apex fit decently now after shooting with them.

Will keep an eye on that trunion to see if it advances further. 600 rounds is nothing, but ammo isn't free.
Evil_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #45
fpk762
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

What extractor did you use after it broke? Another guy had the spring fail, i might buy a spare akm one or just replace it outright, already replaced the recoil spring but that was just personal preference. The psa one fells kinda weak, shoots fine but good to go now with a +5 spring from the mp, also put a wood bulgy hg on it. Looks sweet with the izzy triangle and wood. Mines got abit over 700rnd down it.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2018, 09:57 PM   #46
Evil_Ryu

AKaholic #: 195557

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpk762 View Post
What extractor did you use after it broke? Another guy had the spring fail, i might buy a spare akm one or just replace it outright, already replaced the recoil spring but that was just personal preference. The psa one fells kinda weak, shoots fine but good to go now with a +5 spring from the mp, also put a wood bulgy hg on it. Looks sweet with the izzy triangle and wood. Mines got abit over 700rnd down it.
Polish surplus from Apex. Held up just fine after another 300 rounds (as it should). I only replaced the extractor. I reused the stock extractor spring.

I got the Moekov. Would like to go for wood, but I think I'll leave this one tactical and purchase a traditional wood AK in the future.
Evil_Ryu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 12:57 AM   #47
travinh

AKaholic #: 179278

I actually replaced both extractor and the extractor spring that came with my PSAK side folder. The extractor looks incorrect to me. PSA drilled the hole where the extractor goes in a little too deep when I compare with the new one that I got from PSA.

Quote:
travinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 01:37 AM   #48
cabinarms
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173472

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbox1064 View Post
DDI had that stellar customer service that it seems every customer had 1st hand experience with!

But I gotta hand it to any manufacturer who will hang in the Files Kitchen. Shame that it happens, and we'll soon be a forum talking to each other instead of talking to the actual people who can make a difference.
^^^
yes! 100% agree. negativity will only breed negativity.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:02 AM   #49
Commanderfluffly

AKaholic #: 186193

That's crazy! Like to see how PSA fixes this issue and if it happens again with another 300 rounds or so.
Commanderfluffly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:57 AM   #50
808badandy

AKaholic #: 195347

My stock did the same thing.
808badandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:22 AM   #51
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by 808badandy View Post
My stock did the same thing.
Every single one posted here has done the same exact thing.
I know they are priced great, but why put on a triangle folder that will repeat the problem?
Wish someone could post one that hasn't broke with a high round count.

It is great for Leaders, that men can not think for themselves.
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 11:03 AM   #52
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Every single one posted here has done the same exact thing.
I know they are priced great, but why put on a triangle folder that will repeat the problem?
PSA is still figuring it out. With enough people sending back, they've seen that there's a problem. Let's see if they change their source or process.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:01 PM   #53
fpk762
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 166849

Throw that stock in the trash and drill out a izzy triangle for the larger psa pin! Thats what i did, "permanent fix"! Mine had the normal plastic folding stock, it didnt have any issues but i still like the metal triangles better.

fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 02:03 PM   #54
Master Z

AKaholic #: 191513

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Even your precious WASR was a piece of shit at one point.
Piece of shit because of cant and poor finish??? But it still functioned reliably.
I guess compared to the offerings available at the time, yes they were not as great.

The new production WASR is the same. It's just every other option around is gone or turned to shit(American made).
Old 02-20-2018, 03:06 PM   #55
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Z View Post
Piece of shit because of cant and poor finish??? But it still functioned reliably.
I guess compared to the offerings available at the time, yes they were not as great.

The new production WASR is the same. It's just every other option around is gone or turned to shit(American made).
No they had plenty of function problems too. More severe than the ones they still have.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:48 PM   #56
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
No they had plenty of function problems too. More severe than the ones they still have.
Yes and that was based on them being poorly put together. They werenít breaking left and right because of metallurgy issues. And the issues they rarely still have is based on the mag catch being set too low when being converted by Century. Romanian AKs have never had metallurgy issues like what weíre seeing with American AKs.
Browning Hi Power is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 03:52 PM   #57
logan09

AKaholic #: 22120

Quote:
Throw that stock in the trash and drill out a izzy triangle for the larger psa pin! Thats what i did, "permanent fix"!
One shouldn't have to spend another $70 on a new stock to replace the same stock.

If I would've known it'd shit out on me I would have bought the polymer folder for $100+ less.
logan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 PM   #58
logan09

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Me too.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:30 PM   #59
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Yes and that was based on them being poorly put together. They werenít breaking left and right because of metallurgy issues. And the issues they rarely still have is based on the mag catch being set too low when being converted by Century. Romanian AKs have never had metallurgy issues like what weíre seeing with American AKs.
That doesn't change the fact that they started as utter shit, both with form and function problems, and took time to become actually reliable and trusted.

Here we have a brand new offering, with similar function problems (We've seen ONE legitimate failure, which was a cast trunion which is no longer even offered, proving they're already working to fix the issues) and a bunch of small things like sights drifting, or unusual wear that may continue, or it may stop entirely (Funny, Arsenals are beloved imports and are showing IDENTICAL wear in their trunions...) and be nothing. Meanwhile, PSA is repairing and replacing all issues, and if their change from cast to forged is any indication, they're learning from the issues, and producing a better product. It took YEARS for the WASR to be remotely acceptable. Lets see where PSA is in a year or two. In the meantime, they're taking good care of their customers, so the only thing anyone is out is a little time while they wait for any issues to be repaired.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:44 PM   #60
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

Quote:
That doesn't change the fact that they started as utter shit, both with form and function problems, and took time to become actually reliable and trusted.

Here we have a brand new offering, with similar function problems (We've seen ONE legitimate failure, which was a cast trunion which is no longer even offered, proving they're already working to fix the issues) and a bunch of small things like sights drifting, or unusual wear that may continue, or it may stop entirely (Funny, Arsenals are beloved imports and are showing IDENTICAL wear in their trunions...) and be nothing. Meanwhile, PSA is repairing and replacing all issues, and if their change from cast to forged is any indication, they're learning from the issues, and producing a better product. It took YEARS for the WASR to be remotely acceptable. Lets see where PSA is in a year or two. In the meantime, they're taking good care of their customers, so the only thing anyone is out is a little time while they wait for any issues to be repaired.
What you are saying is not true. WASRs have always been reliable rifles. However, there was a period after Sandy Hook where they were rushing production to meet demand and some came out really sloppy. There was no learning curve with the Cugir factory as you are implying. They did not ďstart out as utter shit,Ē they went through a period of rushed builds. Other than that canted components never caused function issues.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:21 AM   #61
TXsailor

Quote:
What you are saying is not true. WASRs have always been reliable rifles. However, there was a period after Sandy Hook where they were rushing production to meet demand and some came out really sloppy. There was no learning curve with the Cugir factory as you are implying. They did not ďstart out as utter shit,Ē they went through a period of rushed builds. Other than that canted components never caused function issues.
Oh really? So keyholing barrels were never an issue, unreliable feeding wasnít a problem... sights so canted they canít be zeroed is just a form issue, doesnít affect function? All of these werenít just occasional issues but were outright common in WASRs, including the POS I got stuck with. They were piss poor quality, with zero quality control, and a VERY limited warranty.

Here we have a US company that started with cast trunions. Poor quality? Yep. So they stopped producing them and went to forged. From there, weíve seen trunion wear not common to the design, but oddly identical to the Arsenal rifles. Itís too soon to say if itís a longevity issue, or just parts that werenít as well fit as they should be and are wearing into fit. But unlike Century, PSA is taking these rifles back no question to check them out. When they get back, weíll see if they improve just like they did moving from cast. This could be a serious issue, but Iíll wait and see how it turns out. Wandering front sights are just like the WASRs canted sights, except much easier to fix. Nonetheless, theyíre still taking them back to fix. Give it 6 months and see if theyíre still having that issue. Now we have the side folders breaking locking mechanisms. Again, PSA is taking them back to remedy the issue, and since this is a brand new part of their line, letís see if they evolve as well.

Combloc factories have the advantage of 40 plus years of experience cranking these things out to find out what works and what doesnít. Unlike AR15s, there isnít a perfect spec everyone can follow, so thereís some trial and error in a new company starting up. Is it a bit frustrating sending a rifle back for warranty work? Yeah. But at the end of the day, this teething period for a company is necessary, and as long as they continue to fix their issues for us and keep improving not just their methods but your personal rifle, I canít imagine the problem other that impatience.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:58 AM   #62
Browning Hi Power
Veteran Member

Quote:
Oh really? So keyholing barrels were never an issue, unreliable feeding wasnít a problem... sights so canted they canít be zeroed is just a form issue, doesnít affect function? All of these werenít just occasional issues but were outright common in WASRs, including the POS I got stuck with. They were piss poor quality, with zero quality control, and a VERY limited warranty.
Yes, those were issues during the period of rushed builds after the Sandy Hook panic. Other than that period they were always functionally fine. You keep judging the entire WASR line based on your own experience with a lemon. WASRs have been sold in the tens of thousands and are generally solid rifles with plenty of evidence indicating so. It would be like me getting a Glock thatís a lemon (google it and youíll see plenty of people that had one) then getting a Hi Point that works and declaring Hi Points better than Glocks. It doesnít work that way.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:22 AM   #63
TXsailor

Quote:
Yes, those were issues during the period of rushed builds after the Sandy Hook panic. Other than that period they were always functionally fine. You keep judging the entire WASR line based on your own experience with a lemon. WASRs have been sold in the tens of thousands and are generally solid rifles with plenty of evidence indicating so. It would be like me getting a Glock thatís a lemon (google it and youíll see plenty of people that had one) then getting a Hi Point that works and declaring Hi Points better than Glocks. It doesnít work that way.
Just as you canít crucify PSA based on a folding stock. THATS my point. On the files, when an American company has a lemon, everyone starts screeching ďAmerican shit! Everything American will always be a piece of shit!Ē But when an imported rifle shows the same, or worse problems, everyone writes it off as ďeveryone has a lemon from time to timeĒ.
Old 02-21-2018, 02:46 AM   #64
FlyingKat316

AKaholic #: 179307

As Rob Ski would say "that looks like some play-do metal"
FlyingKat316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 06:52 AM   #65
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Well I am pulling for you Logan. This is a shockingly sucky thing to have happen.
Old 02-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #66
logan09

Quote:

Here we have a US company that started with cast trunions. Poor quality? Yep. So they stopped producing them and went to forged.
PSA trunnions are Billet, not hammer forged.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:32 PM   #67
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan09 View Post
PSA trunnions are Billet, not hammer forged.
Ah, my mistake. Well, they moved up from cast.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:54 PM   #68
gaigeboyd

AKaholic #: 195191

500 rounds. no problems so far. i have the zuhkov stock
gaigeboyd is online now   Reply With Quote