Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Galils, Valmets and the R series

Notices

Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM   #1
johmem

AKaholic #: 187459
Default Ace 7.62 Range Report and Suppressor Info.

Got to do some shooting today. It was beautiful weather in the Olympic National Forest. I recently made some changes to my Galil Ace, and thought I would share my thoughts.

I have owned this rifle for over a year, and have somewhere between 1000 and 1500 rounds through it. It has been dead reliable, mainly eating Golden Tiger. I have tried some 8M3, Federal Fusion, and something from Hornady as well, can't remember. I think the rifle is exceptionally well built. I love the machining quality, and I see zero evidence of undue wear so far.

I was not really in love with some of the ergos, especially the handguards. They are overly thick, and too short. I am not really happy with my Aimpoint Pro that I chose to put on it, since it really needs the cheek riser, and I do not like having to remove the cheek riser to use the open sights. I would like to try a T2 co-witnessed on it someday.

I ordered and installed the RS Regulate handguards, and they are a massive improvement. I also finally got around to mounting a Surefire muzzle device so that I could try my 300SPS with the Ace.

I have been reluctant to try suppressing the Ace after hearing reports that they were too over-gassed. I could tell from my shooting that the rifle was certainly generously gassed. The introduction of adjustable gas pistons from KNS Precision encouraged me to try it anyways, since there was now a path to making it work. Sure enough, in the 120 rounds I fired suppressed, I had 4 malfunctions where the bolt overran the round trying to feed up from the magazine, causing a failure to feed and damaging that round. I was hoping to hear some reviews of the KNS pistons before I jumped on one, but perhaps I will have to be the guinea pig.

On a side note, I felt like the sound signature of the rifle was comparable to any other gas-operated rifle, contrary to the common opinion that 'AKs don't suppress well.'

I also noticed a possible accuracy increase. I shot this 10 round group at 100 yds.

If it wasn't for that pesky flier, that would be a legitimate 2" group, significantly better than anything this rifle has produced so far. I don't spend much time shooting guns like this for accuracy, mainly do it out of curiosity. Groups like that are more than acceptable to me. My 'benchrest' setup is far from optimal.

Some other modifications I am considering, besides the optic change:

I am thinking about having the barrel cut down, pinned and welded with the Surefire mount. I think I could lose 2 inches. This might also cut down on gas due to reduced dwell time. I would have to find somebody able to do this work, and the Ace is not as simple to work with as an AR.

I am also liking the idea of restricting the gas at the gas block instead of venting excess gas with the KNS piston. Does anybody have any info on tapping the gas block to accept a set screw ala. SCAR?

I would really love to be able to run an AR stock, but I do not want to abandon the factory folding mechanism. Any suggestions?

Sorry for the book. I learn a lot on this site but don't contribute much.

Last edited by johmem; 04-19-2018 at 09:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
johmem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

Looks great
Old 04-20-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
johmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
Looks great
Thank You. Love the handguard, huge improvement.

Have you by any chance seen a light mount for a scout light that would put the light at 1:30 or 2 o'clock? I have looked at Arisaka's 45 offset m'lok scout mount, but I am not sure your rail design has clearance.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:37 PM   #4
Bvrian

AKaholic #: 190245

What mag did you shoot the 2in group with? Looks great. I’m running a similar setup with a PA 1-6X and had the same problem with the cheek rest. I swapped out the stock for the classic Galil stock so I could use the irons. Chews on the plastic grip/trigger guard/ magwell piece a little but I’m planning on replacing it.
Bvrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 11:12 PM   #5
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171780

Dude.... is that a Bulgarian waffle? How did you fit yours in the mag funnel?

Another guy in ARFCOM had no issues with waffles in his ACE either
Old 04-20-2018, 11:56 PM   #6
johmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bvrian View Post
What mag did you shoot the 2in group with? Looks great. Iím running a similar setup with a PA 1-6X and had the same problem with the cheek rest. I swapped out the stock for the classic Galil stock so I could use the irons. Chews on the plastic grip/trigger guard/ magwell piece a little but Iím planning on replacing it.
I think it was the Bulgarian mag in the picture. I had one Yugo mag with me, but I don't think I used it. Speaking of Yugo mags, does anyone know if you can put bolt hold open followers in the Bulgarians?
Old 04-21-2018, 12:00 AM   #7
johmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post

Lol, Yup. They were very tight when I first tried them. But I noticed that the biggest challenge was getting the magazine inserted past the beginnings of the vertical waffle ridges. It cause constant difficulty catching the front lug on the magazine. Once it had caught, they fit really nicely. So, I very mildly beveled the edges of the magazine well. I also have had a Bulgarian magazine in the mag well at all times, which I think has eased the plastic tension. Now they work very well, nice and tight, but not difficult. Just like I like my
Old 04-21-2018, 06:28 PM   #8
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Good to know!
Old 04-25-2018, 11:57 PM   #9
johmem

Update:

In an attempt to fix the over gassed condition of my Ace, I decided to install a restriction plug in the gas block. It is similar in concept to a AR product sold by Black River Tactical that I have read a bit about.

When you look inside the gas port, you can see that the block is drilled at a much larger diameter than the barrel itself. I was able to tap the gas block with a 10-32 tap. There is plenty of material, depth wise, to use a standard tap. I ordered a 10-pack of 18-8 stainless steel vented set screws from Amazon. The vent will provide a nice pilot hole for drilling to various sizes.

I am going to start with 3/32 and 7/64. Will update when I test.
Old 04-28-2018, 02:49 PM   #10
johmem

Got my gas restricting set screw drilled and installed

Checking with my available drill bits (1/64" increments), I think the factory barrel gas port is close to 3/32. I unfortunately do not own a pin gauge set or extensive number drill set, so my accuracy is suspect. That being said, I made one in 3/32 and one 5/64. I may need to order some number sized bits between some of my current sizes. Anyways, it will likely be a couple of weeks until I can test.

Also, I tapped the gas block plenty deep. The screws I ordered were 1/4" long, and I could easily go 3/8" or even 1/2". This might be a durability enhancement for erosion.
Old 04-28-2018, 08:57 PM   #11
MAKAK47
Curio & Relic

Really looking forward to your test!
Old 05-27-2018, 11:24 PM   #12
johmem

Finally got to go shoot today

Started with the 5/64" screw and had 100% function, suppressed and unsuppressed, over several hundred rounds.

Rifle was still pretty dirty when I started, but I did lube it.

I started with some yugo mags loaded with 5 rounds, unsuppressed, to see bolt hold open (although I am not sure that is a thing with AKs like ARs). Then I shot 300 rounds suppressed. The gun was now pretty dry and filthy. I ran 3 more yugo mags, unsuppressed, including some bump firing.

I actually think I can go smaller with the port in the screw. Ejection was still very strong. I just need to get some number size bits smaller than 5/64.

Last edited by johmem; 05-27-2018 at 11:26 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-06-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
johmem

Fired a few rounds, unsuppressed, yesterday with a .070 gas port. 100% function, but ejection looked a little weak. I was busy shooting other guns, but I will report back when I get more rounds through it.

Recoil is much improved.
Old 06-06-2018, 11:41 AM   #14
WebleyMKVI

AKaholic #: 194428

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAKAK47 View Post

Mine takes them with no issues.
WebleyMKVI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:41 PM   #15
johmem

I don't know if anybody finds this information useful, but I said I would report back.

I put another 200 rounds through my Ace today, mostly doing transition and reload drills. The rifle is running 100% reliable so far with the .070 gas insert, unsuppressed. Fired a combination of Golden Tiger and 8M3, plus a few Federal Fusion.

Even if you have no plans to suppress your ace, I think that addressing the stock overgassed situation is worthwhile. The recoil reduction makes the gun faster to shoot. I also used to get occasional trigger slap, and that appears to be gone. I would assume that the bolt carrier is not hammering into the buffer (and disconnecter) so hard.

I will be curious to run it this coming winter in the cold, and dirty.

I actually really like this rifle, and consider it the equal to my primary AR.
Old 06-25-2018, 11:03 PM   #16
AleksanderDAvid

AKaholic #: 180335

actually i might consider that for my 5.56 ace since if it is over gassed i would like to have better control of my rifle. looking forward to hearing more especially about how it handles in cold weather since maybe on a day i don't work during the winter i might go up to elbe and shoot on a weekday when it's cold.
AleksanderDAvid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2018, 11:42 PM   #17
johmem

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderDAvid View Post
actually i might consider that for my 5.56 ace since if it is over gassed i would like to have better control of my rifle. looking forward to hearing more especially about how it handles in cold weather since maybe on a day i don't work during the winter i might go up to elbe and shoot on a weekday when it's cold.
I haven't heard how the 5.56 versions are gassed. I know my x39 was, and have heard the .308s are as well. To be honest, I think that I have radically reduced the gas port, and even if I have to enlarge it for cold weather functionality, it will still be much smaller than stock. I went from (around) .093 to .070. I know in the AR world, that is a very significant change.