Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 11:54 PM   #1
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372
Default Whatever happened to the FN Five-seven?

I remember when this seemed like the hipster gun for some time. I won't deny the 5.7x28mm is an very formidable handgun round and wouldn't mind using it at all if I had a military to supply me with it.

Has this gun just kind of fizzled away in the consumer market? I don't see them for sale at any of the local shops I frequent (I haven't asked if it is because they sell as soon as they get them or there isn't enough interest in them to stock them). I assume it is because there isn't much demand for a $1200-1300 polymer handgun.

Are guys still buying the Five-seven?
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:00 AM   #2
Make mine underfolded

AKaholic #: 6893

I like the 5-7. Just not enough to commit to a new type of ammo, and drop 12 to 1300 on one. I see them locally, but way to much to consider.
Make mine underfolded is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:06 AM   #3
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

Sure. I'm sure FN can find a few dudes willing to spend their $1200 of their own cash on a polymer gun. Maybe not a lot, but they're out there.

Personally I think FN is smoking dope. There is absolutely no reason the FN Five Seven should cost over double what the FNS costs, and 1/3 again what a FNX Tactical costs.

I own a FNS but FN's attitude towards us regarding the pricing on some of their product really turns me off on owning anything else of theirs.

FFS you can go buy a Sig Legion for less than the polymer five seven. Apparently FN doesn't want their pistol to ever be mainstream successful with civilians. Maybe they should go on a date with HK.

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:11 AM   #4
Glashaus
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 180938

I have one that I bought after I picked up a PS90. I had a hard time justifying just one gun for that cartridge. They are pricey but a lot of fun to shoot! It seems like FN imports firearms in batches. You will see them around and then they will get scarce for awhile. 5.7x28 is a hoot to shoot!

Last edited by Glashaus; 01-25-2018 at 12:16 AM.
Glashaus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:28 AM   #5
Idratherbapickle
Banned

AKaholic #: 193120

I've thought about buying one but the price tag along with the obscure ammo has kept me away.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:31 AM   #6
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

I've got one.

The ONLY semi auto handgun that my wife can NOT cause to malfunction.

Makes a great nightstand gun in my house.
DesertGunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:52 AM   #7
Mandaree36
Hannibals Mentor

AKaholic #: 4562

Add me to the list of "have's".

I love it and the PS90 - quite the pair for a little range time fun. Accurate as hell, zero kick, noise with the PS90 is low low low....

The pair gets more range time play than a lot of the other residents of the safe - as they are always faves with the family.

приедьте и получите некоторых Вы трусы
Mandaree36 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:15 AM   #8
corruptgarage

AKaholic #: 183907

I used to have an FN PS-90. I loved the little 5.7 round out of that sub gun. I also have spent a good amount of time with the SCAR 17 and FNS-9 pistol. I love FN.

That being said, I thought I'd love the FN 5.7 pistol, until I picked up a well used one at a gun show a few months back. I was amazingly disapointed. Nothing about that pistol screamed out to me that it was worth an 800 price tag, let alone a 1200 dollar one. It felt like a big chunk of cheap plastic. Granted it may be fun to shoot, but I'd rather put 1200 expendable dollars towards a PS-90 than a polymer Kel-Tec -tier pistol.
corruptgarage is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:34 PM   #9
Barn Owl

AKaholic #: 195121

I think that the Five-SeveN and PS-90 have both been out for a while now and are just overshadowed by new guns of a similar type coming out seemingly every week. Not to mention that there's not a ton of support for the 5.7x28mm round, which is almost unique right now to the PS-90 for rifles/carbines and the Five-SeveN is the only pistol that uses it I think.

I also think that FN's more conventional offerings (AR-15s, SCARs, 9mm/.40/.45 automatic pistols) have more of a following right now, too.
Barn Owl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:43 PM   #10
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

I shot my buddies 5.7 pistol at the range a couple years ago. It was a lot of flash, little recoil and a .22....

I fired 20 rounds and was over it. Ammo is/was $.50 a round and for that price i'll shoot 10mm, 357 or 45 lc etc.
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:29 PM   #11
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

I've owned 3 and now I'm down to 2. I bought my first one when no one knew what they were and have never paid more than $900 for any of them. I like the way they shoot and all but no, they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Besides, the good ammo that is actually armor piercing can't be bought easily any more. Off the shelf stuff won't do it like many believe. I'm waiting on another scare to happen and then I'll sell 1 or both of them. I still wouldn't mind having a PS90 but people tend to want too much for them. Or rather more than I would be willing to pay for one.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:25 PM   #12
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

Was interested when they first came out.
Waited for the price of the gun and ammunition to come down to something reasonable.
That never happened.
Also the ammo never seemed to catch on.
Very few options there.

357 Sig remains my non-mainstream ammo choice.
Picked up NIB HK P2000 @ $649.
With 1,475 fps Underwood ammo it's a blaster.

Last edited by Barth; 01-25-2018 at 03:49 PM.
Barth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:55 PM   #13
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

The 5.7 was/is THE most disappointing round I have fired in my life.
I like the engineering of the PS90 and it would be a fun gun select fire but is pretty lack luster in firing.
YMMV.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:09 PM   #14
JJ308
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163221

The Mexican cartels seem to like them more then most.
JJ308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #15
SIG-em
Krieg HŁndchen

AKaholic #: 185533

The Five-Seven is a great gun. Especially with rounds from Elite. No recoil, high capacity, stays on target, etc...etc. Its also expensive as hell to shoot and very loud. The cost of ammo, and the hastle of buying the good stuff caused mine to be annointed Safe Queen.
Old 01-25-2018, 06:22 PM   #16
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCorrado View Post
I've owned 3 and now I'm down to 2. I bought my first one when no one knew what they were and have never paid more than $900 for any of them. I like the way they shoot and all but no, they aren't all they're cracked up to be. Besides, the good ammo that is actually armor piercing can't be bought easily any more. Off the shelf stuff won't do it like many believe. I'm waiting on another scare to happen and then I'll sell 1 or both of them. I still wouldn't mind having a PS90 but people tend to want too much for them. Or rather more than I would be willing to pay for one.
Exactly the AP ammo was the fucking shit...
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 06:35 PM   #17
rudyod
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156764

Got one after the Fort Hood deal and still haven’t shot it. Probably sell it during the next scare. I’ve read some articles that show very little difference between the 5.7 round and .22 mag.

Bigfootscousin
rudyod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:01 PM   #18
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudyod View Post
Got one after the Fort Hood deal and still havenít shot it. Probably sell it during the next scare. Iíve read some articles that show very little difference between the 5.7 round and .22 mag.
Difference is the reliability of centerfire vs rimfire. Had 2 PMR30's a few years ago and they weren't the most reliable of shooters. Both were sold or traded off not long after I bought them. First one went back under recall by Kel-Tec. Still didn't cycle reliably. I realize there are other guns out there in 22mag. The PMR competes the closest due to size and capacity. Only thing the Kel-Tex has going for it is the price of the gun and ammo. Only had one issue out of my FN's and that was light primer strikes on my current USG model. FN took care of it under warranty.
Old 01-26-2018, 12:45 AM   #19
Cartel
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164753

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ308 View Post
The Mexican cartels seem to like them more then most.
I am very fond of my Five-seveN.

Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:50 AM   #20
WTSGDYBBR
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 154838

I own one and love it .
WTSGDYBBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 02:34 AM   #21
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

There is a blurb on shotshow from Chopin Block who now is with TFB. He was talking to a firm called Excel(?) I think, and they are releasing or just released a carbine that uses the Fn mags for under $800 if I heard correctly. The vid was posted in last few days.
Old 01-27-2018, 04:33 AM   #22
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

5.7 won't do anything for me that 9mm won't, yet it costs as much per round as 7.62x51. Round count? I'll carry a spare HiPower.

Neither Bee, nor Borg.

Democrats: Violently opposing duly-elected Republican Presidents since 1861.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 09:11 AM   #23
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

I've never had any interest in them, but for those wanting to try the caliber out... I believe Masterpiece Arms makes/did make some of their MAC style guns chambered for the round. I'm not sure what magazines they use, but it would be a much cheaper alternative for guys just wanting to try out the cartridge.

I do own one of the early Masterpiece Arms Mini 9mm MAC pistols (when they were still MAC's without the weird modernized designs), and it has been a solid gun for several thousand rounds.

Just a thought.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:21 AM   #24
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

It's sad that FN priced themselves right out of widespread adoption. I think the little 5.7 has potential, but we're talking about a niche round that already had the odds against it being hobbled even more by FN's greed. At least I think it's greed because there is no way that a polymer pistol should cost $1200. Doubly poignant given that none of FNs other polymer pistols (shooting more powerful rounds no less) come near that price point.

Hell, you can get a FN PS90 for that cost. A PDW/Carbine chambered in the same round, by the same company for the cost of the pistol that is supposed to accompany it. Had FN gotten the price point down close to $800 I think more people would pick one up, then pick up the rifle, then the ammo would be more widely adopted. No one is arguing that they're bad pistols, but over a grand for a polymer pistol that is limited in aftermarket and chambered in a round that only a handful of guns can shoot?

It's like FN wants the round to eventually fail into obscurity. Do they not care? Propped up by military contracts (not sure who even adopted it)? Bad management?

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 12:22 AM   #25
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

The whole original purpose of FN five seven was its AP ammo that could defeat most body armor.

Civilians cannot buy that ammo however and there is the answer to your popularity question.

The 5-7 remains very popular with the po-po.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 06:34 AM   #26
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post

The 5-7 remains very popular with the po-po.

Where? I've been an LEO for about 2 decades now, and having worked around dozens of different agencies, I have never seen an FN 5.7 pistol in use by any of them. I do know of one local agency that issues the H&K G-36 as a patrol rifle for each officer, and another that has at least a few Armalite AR180B's riding in racks of patrol cars. I can't think of a single time that I have seen an FN of any kind as an issued item for law enforcement.

Also... This thread is old as hell.
Old 03-16-2019, 07:32 AM   #27
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

Quote:
Originally Posted by codifier View Post
It's sad that FN priced themselves right out of widespread adoption.
FN does not give a crap about the civilian market and only dabbles in it.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:43 AM   #28
Deerhurst

AKaholic #: 195346

What's a good place to snag for 5.7 ammo? Working on a buddies P90 and I'd like to run some confirmation rounds through it. Seems like a neat little gun. More comfortable than the Tavor which I've played with a bunch. I'm not impressed by the 5.7 pistol.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:49 AM   #29
coolsolid

AKaholic #: 161316

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThunderGod View Post
5.7 won't do anything for me that 9mm won't, yet it costs as much per round as 7.62x51.

You are 100% right, unless the OP lives in Lesotho. You can get all the flavors of 5.7 ice cream there, if you got the cash.

Safety First My Friends ! - Mayor Fuglycool
coolsolid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 11:40 AM   #30
Old Sarge
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180

Every time I go to the range I find a few pieces of the brass from one. So someone is shooting one.

Old Sarge
Old 03-16-2019, 02:02 PM   #31
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post
Where? I've been an LEO for about 2 decades now, and having worked around dozens of different agencies, I have never seen an FN 5.7 pistol in use by any of them. I do know of one local agency that issues the H&K G-36 as a patrol rifle for each officer, and another that has at least a few Armalite AR180B's riding in racks of patrol cars. I can't think of a single time that I have seen an FN of any kind as an issued item for law enforcement.

West Texas, none of the guys had them as duty weapons.

But they all had one. Sheriff Deputies, City police, others.

The most gun-buff people you will ever meet? Texas Rangers.

At one time I serviced all their vehicles out there in Indian country. Every one of them was a rolling arsenal.

You know bad guys do wear body armor. The 5-7 AP goes right through it.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 03:50 PM   #32
David Sinko

AKaholic #: 155970

I had one and it was a piece of shit. It would not cycle with ANY factory loaded ammo. I bought it new from a guy who owned the next one in sequence off the production line and his had the same problem. I sent mine back to FN TWICE and they could not / would not fix it. I despise FN so much that there are times I think about just giving away my SCAR 17.

The cartridge is a real pain in the ass to reload. The disaster factor is very high and it's not an endeavor for the stupid, careless or lazy. That said, Rocky Mountain Reloading has sold the pulled black tip bullets (SS whatever the hell they are). Anybody who takes this cartridge seriously enough to reload it AND has a pistol that functions properly should be well stocked with AP ammo.
David Sinko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 04:20 PM   #33
burninglegs
Where We Go One We Go All

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Sinko View Post
I despise FN so much that there are times I think about just giving away my SCAR 17.
What's your PP? I'll send you the money for shipping and even a little extra for your troubles. Just send it my way.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:41 PM   #34
virgil cole
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 102797

They are very popular , especially in the southwest . FN sells every one they make just as fast as they make them . That is one of the reasons they are kind of scarce and always expensive .
virgil cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2019, 07:12 PM   #35
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-104 View Post

USSS....Nuff said.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote