Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Mosin Nagants

Notices

Old 02-11-2019, 02:45 PM   #36
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

You are buying or not buying what the market offers.
Unless you have a time machine or a "friend" price. The market decides the price +/- a few bucks either way.
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2019, 02:33 PM   #37
maximizer39

AKaholic #: 188052

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncreptile View Post
Lets be honest, it's not the best bolt gun ever, it simply works. And now that they are at $300+ that eliminates the garage gunsmiths that think they're going to make a rifle that'll outperform everything else on a budget and now that the ammo is stupid expensive it eliminates most people getting one for a cheap range plinker.

I'm sure the old guys look at me and wonder why I'd pay $2000 for a G43 when they could get as many as they wanted for $50 back in the day. The difference is that was never available to me, so I do not have a value seeking habit to break since there was never a cheap price to begin with.

So when you ask "Whose buying these?" Mostly people who did not know about or could not purchase them 5 years ago. To them $300 is a fair price to pay for a firearm that saw some shit and because they did not have the opportunity at $100 they are not going to drag their feet like we would.

People won't question spending $700 on a WW2 German Helmet that was $100 10 years ago but you show them a Russian WW2 Rifle(Far more interesting than a steel pot) for $300 and they stick their nose up at it. You're buying the history at this point, otherwise why are you here?
+1. Somehow, White Castle is still in business and I don't see too many people complaining that their cheeseburgers aren't 1 anymore.

The mosin right now is transitioning from a "surplus" item to a collectible item. The same happens with anything military surplus. For a while it's cheap and available and attracts all kinds of people, many of whom see it as something worthless to beat up. Then after some time, the warehouses empty and then the price starts going up. Supply and demand.

Of course it sucks that mosins aren't 50 bucks anymore. I wish I was born early enough to take advantage of all the cheap mosins, SKSs, and AKs. But just know that one day your 2003 Toyota Camry will be considered a collector's item, and people will wrack their brains wondering how you were "stupid" enough not to treat it like a museum piece, and the one guy who kept his in a garage for 50 years will be selling his for a pretty penny.

It's kind of a self creating problem. When stuff is cheap, it's seen as worthless. While WW2 Axis collectors now might be wishing they could time travel back to 1946 and buy up as many K98s, G43s, Lugers, etc as they could, meanwhile Pvt. Jenkins just got home from France and threw his pristine K98 sniper bringback in the back of the farm truck for shooting varmints. You don't miss what you have till it's gone.

Just for fun, an interesting video on this topic. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_Silz7Fox0
Old 02-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #38
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
I pay less than $1 for a loaf of wheat bread. Not sure where you're seeing $3.55 as the lowest bread price.
At less than a dollar, that is just brown colored white bread.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 06:57 PM   #39
frick

AKaholic #: 179158

I bought a full crate of 10 from Dans Sporting Goods for 400 bucks, total, not each.

Sold a few, I still have 6 or 7 of them, M44s, new blond wood, good metal.
frick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 09:51 AM   #40
Brasky
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
At less than a dollar, that is just brown colored white bread.
100% wheat bread
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 12:23 PM   #41
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Overpriced Mosin Nagant vs overpriced wheat bread..., too funny
AKBLUE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 08:05 PM   #42
JimMac
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169345

I think I paid 79 bucks for my 1932 hex 91/30 after selling my cheap romy m44. always wanted to get another carbine but couldnt find one reasonably priced. few months ago the pawn shop had a russian m38 without any import Mark's for $185 out the door. Almost past on it thinking it was over priced but glad Iwent ahead and bought it. then a couple months ago at a yard sale theres a m44 on a table for $100. I did jump on that one. jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 10:47 PM   #43
Agent 47

AKaholic #: 167004

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimMac View Post
I think I paid 79 bucks for my 1932 hex 91/30 after selling my cheap romy m44. always wanted to get another carbine but couldnt find one reasonably priced. few months ago the pawn shop had a russian m38 without any import Mark's for $185 out the door. Almost past on it thinking it was over priced but glad Iwent ahead and bought it. then a couple months ago at a yard sale theres a m44 on a table for $100. I did jump on that one. jim
I got a Chinese M44 that is missing the handguard for $100 and that thing is ACCURATE!! Got a Romy M44 several months back for $250 that was near mint condition as it had been barely shot. The only thing that wasn't matching #'s was the bolt. Sold my 42 Izzy to my brother and have been looking for some more Mosins.
Agent 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2019, 05:50 PM   #44
kawasakifreak77

AKaholic #: 176621

I'm in the camp that wishes they would have bought a crate of Mosins and a pallet of cheap LPS. Hindsite is truely 20/20.

I have one 91-30 that groups okay but way off center, farther than the sights can be adjusted. Might just make a PU clone out of it cause I will never sell it.

I stacked a few K31s & enough GP11 to start a revolution though! Wasn't going to let good surplus get away again.
Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 PM   #45
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawasakifreak77 View Post
I'm in the camp that wishes they would have bought a crate of Mosins and a pallet of cheap LPS. Hindsite is truely 20/20.

I have one 91-30 that groups okay but way off center, farther than the sights can be adjusted. Might just make a PU clone out of it cause I will never sell it.

I stacked a few K31s & enough GP11 to start a revolution though! Wasn't going to let good surplus get away again.
I wish I had bought more of the K31's when I bought mine! They were cheap then. Same with Mosin's but I didn't really start looking at them until they hit $200. I bought my first one a few years beforehand just because a buddy said I needed at least one. I now look around for anything surplus at the right price and buy it. Never really know what's going to take off next so I'm buying all that I can.
Old 03-15-2019, 05:50 PM   #46
Gun Control Intolerance

AKaholic #: 199270

I just bought one from Classic firearms. I paid the price why? Because I passed them up for years saying I would get one but kept putting it off. Well the price I just paid was my punishment for procrastinating. I already had a 1917 dated one but not the 91/30 so I sucked it up. Lesson learned. It's a 1925 dated pretty nice one tho. Got all the stuff with it. While waiting for them to up date my FFL the ran out of the normal ones and I had to pay for the dragoon era rifle.
Gun Control Intolerance is online now   Reply With Quote