Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-14-2017, 09:00 PM   #1
Idratherbapickle

AKaholic #: 193120
Default Food for thought AMD 63/65

Greetings, I am new to the forums and the AK platform. I tried to find a AMD thread but couldn't find one that I felt I could drop this in. Forgive me if you must move it.

I recently purchased a AMD 63 from Classicf******s.com. I would love to share my insights on the this thing with anyone considering one of these rifles. To be 100% honest I have yet to fire this weapon due to the fact I dont like the thing. I do believe it will work but how good.. I'm not sure.

I'll start off by saying that I came across this thing because I was in the market for an AK. I really wanted the Vepr, but having never used an AK, I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop a 1000 bucks on a platform I may not like. The reviews on classic spoke highly of it and for only 449.00, hell why not, I pulled the trigger.

It took Classic I believe 11 or 12 days to ship this thing, then another 2-4 days to reach me. I feel like thats entirely too long, but it did get here in one piece and undamaged. When I took the thing out of the box I broke it down fully to inspect. Now this is my first AK bit I'm not retarded, nor is this my first or only firearm.

The first thing that stood out to me was this overall finish is mediocre at best. The receiver is pitted and when I removed the handguard retainer, the section of the barrel it clamps too is unfinished and rusted. The buttstock looked like a fat guy in a little coat. Cii used two different screws to fasten the buttstock one of which was broke. The head of the most forward screw fell off at a quarter turn. Thankfully I didn't fire this before inspecting.

Honestly everything else appears to be OK.

I had tried to reach out to classic a few times and never received a response. I wrote a review on my purchasing experience, and my thoughts of my purchase with a rating of 3 stars. That review was never posted. It is my opinion they cherry pick reviews to deceive customers. Should you not buy a gun from them or an AMD?

I wouldnt again but only you can make that decision.

At the end of the day I received what I wanted. It still didn't stop me from swapping out it's useless handguard for a magpul with a forward grip. I also swapped out the buttstock too. One day I'll get around to shooting this thing but I would never choose it over one of my AR's. Maybe if I had got the Vepr my mind would be changed but I doubt it. Either way now I have to buy a Vepr to see.

If you can afford something better, by all means do it. If you can only afford something in this price range, maybe look at used rifles or wait a little longer until you can afford something better. I think I would have been happier with the C39v2 to be honest.

Anyone have any questions feel free to ask. If you want detailed pictures just tell me what you want to see and I can post them. It just might take me a few days to do so.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:27 PM   #2
Striknine
Builder

AKaholic #: 165924

Sorry to hear you are not happy with your first AK. My first was a VEPR which I was extremely happy with, and I'm sure you would have been too, but they are expensive for a reason. First lesson is don't buy from Classic. They push sub par crap and tailor their feedback to make it look like all their customers are happy campers.
There are better options out there besides the C39V2 for the same money or cheaper, just hang around here for a bit It will help you make a more educated decision. Lots of great info here, and I wouldn't be surprised if you switch to the dark side and wind up with an AK collection.
Striknine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:33 PM   #3
овчарка

AKaholic #: 189949

Classic is a well known POS company on this forum. Honestly you should have just bought from Atlantic Firearms. Classic cherry picks their reviews, writes up retard worthy descriptions, makes up bullshit, etc.

The AMD you bought is a meh gun with a meh barrel. But its ok if you are willing to put some work into it.

The C39V2 and RAS47 are both garbage. You'd be far better off with an Atlantic or Lee Armory or Definitive Arms build if you wanted an "Americanized" AK. Even Riley Defense seems to be doing ok.

Better yet, buy a WASR.

Want more expensive? Get a VEPR. Or find an older combloc import.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:43 PM   #4
bda
Contributor

AKaholic #: 181263

Welcome to the files OP and sorry to hear about your bad experience with Classic. My recommendation would be to contact Classic and ask for a refund and never do business with them again. For future reference buy your next AK at Atlantic Firearms and just go ahead and get the VEPR. If you are not willing to shell out $1k for the VEPR then pick up a WASR.
bda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:02 PM   #5
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

You should have bought a new WASR.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:11 PM   #6
Idratherbapickle

I knew I should have bought the Vepr all along lol. I'm an idiot for not doing so. I'll keep the AMD, after all it's still a gun. The more guns the better is the way I see things.

I just wanted to put my opinion out there, so someone doesn't make my same mistake.

BTW I'll never buy a Century unless it was a deal I couldn't pass up. When I buy stuff I typically search for the absolute best deal. That way if I don't like it, I won't really lose anything on resale.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:18 PM   #7
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
You should have bought a new WASR.
What do you know about that sexy one refinished in that reddish maroon on Atlantic firearms? Aside from the funny wooden foregrip it looks nice.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:20 PM   #8
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 175207

You bought the wrong AND. Lol

MattyZ28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 11:37 PM   #9
MIG*7.62

AKaholic #: 192572

Something about this post.....
MIG*7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 01:22 AM   #10
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyZ28 View Post

I don't know if I bought the wrong one. I just bought the piece of trash one
Old 06-15-2017, 01:36 AM   #11
Dr.ButcherMD
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 156261

AMD63 is a domestic creation. Hungarians made AKM63's.
Dr.ButcherMD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:05 PM   #12
Classic Rocks
a Crack Whore for his faith

AKaholic #: 180683

Both mine from classic have been fine. I didn't pay 450 so maybe my expectations are lower.
Old 06-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
codifier
Your Huckleberry

AKaholic #: 170379

Classic is kind of a fucktard site, but I still get their newsletter because every once in a while there's a diamond in the rough. Like the NIB H&K USP Compact 9mm LEMs w/NS and 3 mags for 500-ish they had a while back.

You just have to know what you're dealing with.

Quote:
All the power [the State] has is what society gives it, plus what it confiscates from time to time on one pretext or another;
there is no other source from which State power can be drawn. Therefore every assumption of State power, whether by gift
or seizure, leaves society with so much less power.

― Albert Jay Nock, Our Enemy, the State
codifier is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
35 Whelen

AKaholic #: 163563

I ordered a pistol from them and it took entirely too long to ship. I emailed them asking them how much product they could ship in the time it takes to make one of their retarded videos. No response.
35 Whelen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #15
Tankboy
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 183589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idratherbapickle View Post
I don't know if I bought the wrong one. I just bought the piece of trash one
That's basically the same thing lol.
Tankboy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 04:06 PM   #16
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankboy View Post
That's basically the same thing lol.
Old 06-15-2017, 04:15 PM   #17
amd6547

AKaholic #: 4041

Have a hard time taking a firearm review seriously when the gun hasn't even been shot.
amd6547 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 05:10 PM   #18
MIG*7.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Have a hard time taking a firearm review seriously when the gun hasn't even been shot.
For starters..
Old 06-15-2017, 08:13 PM   #19
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by amd6547 View Post
Not a review bro but thanks for your input
Old 06-15-2017, 08:38 PM   #20
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Greetings, I am new to the forums and the AK platform. I tried to find a AMD thread but couldn't find one that I felt I could drop this in. Forgive me if you must move it.

I recently purchased a AMD 63 from Classicf******s.com. I would love to share my insights on the this thing with anyone considering one of these rifles. To be 100% honest I have yet to fire this weapon due to the fact I dont like the thing. I do believe it will work but how good.. I'm not sure.

I'll start off by saying that I came across this thing because I was in the market for an AK. I really wanted the Vepr, but having never used an AK, I wasn't sure if I wanted to drop a 1000 bucks on a platform I may not like. The reviews on classic spoke highly of it and for only 449.00, hell why not, I pulled the trigger.

It took Classic I believe 11 or 12 days to ship this thing, then another 2-4 days to reach me. I feel like thats entirely too long, but it did get here in one piece and undamaged. When I took the thing out of the box I broke it down fully to inspect. Now this is my first AK bit I'm not retarded, nor is this my first or only firearm.

The first thing that stood out to me was this overall finish is mediocre at best. The receiver is pitted and when I removed the handguard retainer, the section of the barrel it clamps too is unfinished and rusted. The buttstock looked like a fat guy in a little coat. Cii used two different screws to fasten the buttstock one of which was broke. The head of the most forward screw fell off at a quarter turn. Thankfully I didn't fire this before inspecting.

Honestly everything else appears to be OK.

I had tried to reach out to classic a few times and never received a response. I wrote a review on my purchasing experience, and my thoughts of my purchase with a rating of 3 stars. That review was never posted. It is my opinion they cherry pick reviews to deceive customers. Should you not buy a gun from them or an AMD?

I wouldnt again but only you can make that decision.

At the end of the day I received what I wanted. It still didn't stop me from swapping out it's useless handguard for a magpul with a forward grip. I also swapped out the buttstock too. One day I'll get around to shooting this thing but I would never choose it over one of my AR's. Maybe if I had got the Vepr my mind would be changed but I doubt it. Either way now I have to buy a Vepr to see.

If you can afford something better, by all means do it. If you can only afford something in this price range, maybe look at used rifles or wait a little longer until you can afford something better. I think I would have been happier with the C39v2 to be honest.

Anyone have any questions feel free to ask. If you want detailed pictures just tell me what you want to see and I can post them. It just might take me a few days to do so.
I've been saying this in other threads. The AMD that classic is selling is subpar and unproven. If it was manufactured by an US company to the same standards, members here would NOT be pushing this off of people who are looking for an affordable first AK. The Wasr is only $150 or so more. The NPAP is only $100 more which I rather have over Classic's AMD...
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2017, 08:44 PM   #21
praxidike

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
What do you know about that sexy one refinished in that reddish maroon on Atlantic firearms? Aside from the funny wooden foregrip it looks nice.
A Wasr is a Wasr no matter how it is dressed up. If the price is $650ish, get a Wasr. If it's over $700, might as well get a Vepr or an Arsenal. You can find better prices on Gun.Deals (formally SlickGuns.com). Atlantic's prices are almost always more expensive.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 11:51 PM   #22
dontsh00tmesanta

AKaholic #: 192203

For the price you got a great deal
Old 06-18-2017, 07:15 AM   #23
Burt Reynolds

AKaholic #: 192369

I bought the amd65 from Classic some time back, at 499 I believe. It was shipped and received by my FFL in the same week. Finish was perfect, stock was, and still is, tight with zero wobble. I have no complaints about the rifle or Classic. I've always had a good experience with them. In fact I just purchased another (surplus) firearm from them a few weeks ago, was shipped the next day and received it 2 days later, in near perfect condition.
As far as cherry picking reviews goes; I dont know. I've heard that for years, but yet I still see some bad ones posted there.
Most of the complaints you had were about the quality of the build, Classic doesnt build them.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but a thorough inspection at the FFL could have saved you some grief.
Burt Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #24
Burt Reynolds

I meant to add to that last post. Once you've accepted the transfer, you're under warranty now. Perhaps contact CII?
Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 AM   #25
drftman

AKaholic #: 173417

For $449 not much complaining you got a real Hungarian parts kit on a real feg receiver......damn thing is worth more in parts than they are selling the whole rifles for. I have plenty of legit amd65s and akm63s and I've considered at that price buying a couple strictly for the receivers but since I live in nc I get sale tac ffl and shipping and it's not such a good deal anymore. Shoot the piss out of it. It's a cheap gun take it out shoot it quit complaining about the small shit.
drftman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #26
MIG*7.62

Quote:
Originally Posted by drftman View Post
For $449 not much complaining you got a real Hungarian parts kit on a real feg receiver......damn thing is worth more in parts than they are selling the whole rifles for. I have plenty of legit amd65s and akm63s and I've considered at that price buying a couple strictly for the receivers but since I live in nc I get sale tac ffl and shipping and it's not such a good deal anymore. Shoot the piss out of it. It's a cheap gun take it out shoot it quit complaining about the small shit.
Nailed it
Old 06-19-2017, 05:51 PM   #27
Idratherbapickle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Reynolds View Post
I bought the amd65 from Classic some time back, at 499 I believe. It was shipped and received by my FFL in the same week. Finish was perfect, stock was, and still is, tight with zero wobble. I have no complaints about the rifle or Classic. I've always had a good experience with them. In fact I just purchased another (surplus) firearm from them a few weeks ago, was shipped the next day and received it 2 days later, in near perfect condition.
As far as cherry picking reviews goes; I dont know. I've heard that for years, but yet I still see some bad ones posted there.
Most of the complaints you had were about the quality of the build, Classic doesnt build them.
Sorry to hear about your experience, but a thorough inspection at the FFL could have saved you some grief.
They're cherry picking bro believe that. If your happy with your amd65 that's great! Nothing wrong with that.
Old 06-19-2017, 09:29 PM   #28
Burt Reynolds

This is from Classics website:

Product Reviews on Our Website
Classic Firearms provides a section for customers to place product reviews on our website. Classic Firearms does reserve the right to approve what reviews get posted to the website. Additionally, positive reviews are posted more timely than negative reviews are posted. Negative reviews have a time consuming process that must be followed before it can be determined if the review will be allowed inlcuding verifying the review is from a customer who actually ordered the product from Classic Firearms and filtering all the spam reviews, bots, porn links (yes, many of them), etc. Reviews containing foul language, references (good or bad) to competitors, full names of individuals, review of anything other than the product purchased from Classic Firearms, etc, will never be posted. Product review postings should not be used a way to have our customer service team contact you. Phone or email should be used if you would like to speak with a customer service rep. These are just a few examples of many reasons some reviews may not be posted.

Reminds me of a (bad) review I wrote for Academy Sports about a year ago; I called one of their policies "stupid", later I received an email stating that my review had been disapproved and that I could write another if o wished. I didn't.
I guess it depends on what exactly you said in your review and just how nasty you got. Perhaps it will pop up later.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:24 AM   #29
jager9985

AKaholic #: 173575

Give the rifle a shot. I bought mine last year and though the finish is not that great, it's not much better than the wasr just lighter in color. Has been flawless in function and since it's not all that collectable other than the Hungarian parts I've been shooting all my corrosive ammo through it with ak respectable accuracy.
jager9985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 02:03 AM   #30
Bigdaddy90
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 182292

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyZ28 View Post

Matty details on the stock please!!! It looks great. I've got an AMD65 tgi build just like yours, really digging the style and functionality.

((10)) troll brigade heart breaker/scout SJW sniper
Bigdaddy90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 07:12 AM   #31
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

Classic can go out of business for all I care. I will never buy from there again
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #32
lpillc

AKaholic #: 4921

My experience with Classic was always good, most of the time they have good or best deals when you compare to other sites, and they refund your money really fast when you are not satisfied with the products they sell as a matter fact their refunds were faster then most of the other vendors.
I think that is good customer service, and again I am just giving my true personal experience.
I do not know anyone at Classic or own any share in their stock, just my experience throughout the years.
lpillc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #33
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:

Classic Firearms provides a section for customers to place product reviews on our website. Classic Firearms does reserve the right to approve what reviews get posted to the website. Additionally, positive reviews are posted more timely than negative reviews are posted. Negative reviews have a time consuming process that must be followed before it can be determined if the review will be allowed inlcuding verifying the review is from a customer who actually ordered the product from Classic Firearms and filtering all the spam reviews, bots, porn links (yes, many of them), etc. Reviews containing foul language, references (good or bad) to competitors, full names of individuals, review of anything other than the product purchased from Classic Firearms, etc, will never be posted. Product review postings should not be used a way to have our customer service team contact you. Phone or email should be used if you would like to speak with a customer service rep. These are just a few examples of many reasons some reviews may not be posted.

Reminds me of a (bad) review I wrote for Academy Sports about a year ago; I called one of their policies "stupid", later I received an email stating that my review had been disapproved and that I could write another if o wished. I didn't.
I guess it depends on what exactly you said in your review and just how nasty you got. Perhaps it will pop up later.
Classic has never posted a review I've written, never.

Link to MP ad for Chinese Stock Set, New Ironwood. Cheaper and no long wait.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...98#post4183298

Link for Hungarian set from Ironwood:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2017, 09:14 AM   #34
Idratherbapickle

Quote:

I didn't even give it a bad review really.. 3 out of 5 and even wrote "I have yet to fire this weapon". Realistically for what I paid it's really not that bad. The biggest of all my issues is Classic Firearms. If you don't post the customers opinion, even if you dont agree, then you are in fact lying to your current and potential customer base. The shit ain't rocket science, it is what it is. Not every product is going to be a 4.5-5 star product and that's ok. I'm just saying they shouldn't fucking lie about it.

Now excuse me I gotta poop. I'm thinking about molding a dinosaur out of it if the consistency allows it. Maybe I'll mail it to our friends at classic as a token of our appreciation.
Old 06-22-2017, 05:44 PM   #35
Burt Reynolds

Quote:
I didn't even give it a bad review really.. 3 out of 5 and even wrote "I have yet to fire this weapon". Realistically for what I paid it's really not that bad. The biggest of all my issues is Classic Firearms. If you don't post the customers opinion, even if you dont agree, then you are in fact lying to your current and potential customer base. The shit ain't rocket science, it is what it is. Not every product is going to be a 4.5-5 star product and that's ok. I'm just saying they shouldn't fucking lie about it.

Now excuse me I gotta poop. I'm thinking about molding a dinosaur out of it if the consistency allows it. Maybe I'll mail it to our friends at classic as a token of our appreciation.
Hey, I agree. BUT a lot of companies (academy sports) "cull" their reviews, not just Classic. And for various reasons, some justified I guess.

Now, about the poop thing...