Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-21-2017, 10:44 AM   #36
Choppa city

AKaholic #: 188753

Of course they are going to hype it up. Its because there are so many on the secondary market. People buy em, then hear the horror stories and dump them off to pawn shops, cabelas, armslist, etc. Has anyone looked how many are on cabelas gun library site? A bunch. See bunch on armslist, too.
Choppa city is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:45 AM   #37
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
Originally Posted by edsinger View Post
I am an engineer and I need to see data...
So am I...however, I have already seen the data. Posting the link to the GunsAmerica thread was as close as I get to what I would define as trolling. I know how the members here feel about Century products and I'm kinda the same way. But...I do like to read opinions coming from the "other" side once in a while. Keeps up my interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
Are you already married? I hope so because women aren't fans of men that are missing a face.
Are you F'n kidding me? Chicks dig scars. I mean...you walk into a bar with no face and all the chicks are all surrounding you wanting to get to know the guy whose face was blown off by an American AK! You'd be a freakin' pu**y magnet!

Quote:
It would be nice if it was tracked via excel or something to do a direct comparison.
You give us Engineers a bad name...yah big nerd!

Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 12:50 PM   #38
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

Edsinger you say you're an engineer but don't know what those numbers mean? Do you mean you drive a train....like that kind of engineer? wtf, you smell like a troll more and more all the time.
Dave Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM   #39
edsinger

AKaholic #: 192057

Quote:
Originally Posted by Choppa city View Post
Of course they are going to hype it up. Its because there are so many on the secondary market. People buy em, then hear the horror stories and dump them off to pawn shops, cabelas, armslist, etc. Has anyone looked how many are on cabelas gun library site? A bunch. See bunch on armslist, too.
Well I guess I can see why with the damn scare tactics. Look the rifle might be shit but no one has been hurt that I know of. This is NOT a cool gun to have to get bonus points here at AK files for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
So am I...however, I have already seen the data. Posting the link to the GunsAmerica thread was as close as I get to what I would define as trolling. I know how the members here feel about Century products and I'm kinda the same way. But...I do like to read opinions coming from the "other" side once in a while. Keeps up my interest.
Not my post.

However I was glad to read it, as it gave me a clue. The 15,000 round stuff is now part of a direct email to Century Arms. It was a rather long one.

Quote:
You give us Engineers a bad name...yah big nerd!

Woah hoss, not like I said EDSA or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Williams View Post
Edsinger you say you're an engineer but don't know what those numbers mean? Do you mean you drive a train....like that kind of engineer? wtf, you smell like a troll more and more all the time.

Nope, my knowledge of Rockwell hardness is extremely limited. I do understand a little about metallurgy as I have picked up a few things but by no means would I claim I know shit about it. I think the one video said it best, you need to understand what hardness you need per the application. Brittleness vs. Strength, things like that. I am very ignorant of it. I avoided shit like Thermodynamics like the damn plague.

Now for your last Smart Ass comment. You sure as hell don't seem to understand there are ALL types of them...and not the RR guys or the sanitation ones for that matter.

Megawatts, KVARs, and Eli the Ice man...that is my gig.

Cheers
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #40
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:

Hey did you read? I had already bought it but true enough I had read lots of info good and bad (here mainly bad) but others not so much and not one person has come on here and commented about the MAC video, or at least I have not found it.

So assuming it is a bad batch, which is feasible at this point, then #1 we need to determine or at least get Century to release the information, and #2 we also need to determine if the new batches are also bad...
Tim from MAC sells Century rifles. There's your answer.

Batches? Seriously?

Link to MP ad for Chinese Stock Set, New Ironwood. Cheaper and no long wait.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...98#post4183298

Link for Hungarian set from Ironwood:
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:36 PM   #41
LegioRomanus
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167972

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTOROLANUT View Post
Agreed ....Stay far far away from them.
And I take no evil joy out of trashing the C-39s either.

Hell, if they had used a better grade of steel in the key parts they might be a very nice rifle BUT, as I recently posted in another thread, I project that they would also cost $1500-$2000 dollars made of out very high quality metal.

So buyers seem to immediately look for a Polish 1960 milled bolt/bolt carrier and maybe this makes them more dependable?

BUT......damn......buy a brand new AK and immediately have to replace the bolt/bolt carrier assembly with one out of an old Polish milled rifle? Really?

And just how many old Polish bolt/bolt carrier groups are still around to do this? Geez.

With my luck if I looked to buy an old Polish milled-rifle bolt/bolt carrier they would tell me SOLD OUT.

So maybe there will be a market for one of the board guys who is an excellent machinist to make some Polish-copy bolts and carriers?
LegioRomanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:53 PM   #42
JoshLovesAKs

AKaholic #: 189664

The C39V2 appears nice from first glance and I could see how it would woo someone who is not versed in the AK world or that migrated from AR land. It worked on me. After doing more research I dumped it for a loss and put that money towards a WASR and later found a NOS saiga sporter.

Sometimes lessons hurt.

Last edited by JoshLovesAKs; 03-21-2017 at 06:58 PM.
JoshLovesAKs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:26 PM   #43
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLovesAKs View Post
The C39V2 appears nice from first glance and I could see how it would woo someone who is not versed in the AK world or that migrated from AR land. It worked on me. After doing more research I dumped it for a loss and put that money towards a WASR and later found a NOS saiga sporter.

Sometimes lessons hurt.

Smart move, but don't feel bad.

I've owned AK's since 2001 and I bought an RAS47 blindly believing (Hoping actually) in US Made being superior as well.
I traded mine out quickly after AKOU's review showing the issues.

I wasn't about to wait til I hit a failure to deal with Century's RMA process
...... and after seeing their half assed approach, I know it was the smart move.

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:32 PM   #44
MilitaryArms

AKaholic #: 155591

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Tim from MAC sells Century rifles. There's your answer.

Batches? Seriously?
I do not. Thanks for playing though.
Old 03-22-2017, 02:37 PM   #45
Bakwa
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 190595

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilitaryArms View Post
I do not. Thanks for playing though.
Bam!
Old 03-22-2017, 02:59 PM   #46
MilitaryArms

I would say getting a good C39V2 is luck of the draw. It's true, I have one I've abused by running it suppressed (e.g. over gassed) to the point carbon is oozing down the side of it. I showed it in a video. The gun shows no signs of any undue wear on the bolt or carrier.

So yes, "batches". It's called QC or "Quality Controls". Parts are made in batches or lots. This is a common practice throughout the manufacturing world. This is one of the areas where manufacturers who are more concerned with a low price than a quality product fudge. They don't test their "batches" for proper hardness among other key measurements, they just assume the shop they've outsourced to is making things to spec.

Anyone who knows anything about manufacturing will tell you it's VERY common for suppliers to screw up production runs and attempt to pass them off to their customer. That's why a strict QC control system is absolutely critical to producing a consistently good performing product.

My C39V2 happens to be one that is good. I've had no issues with it at all. That is NOT an endorsement of the product or the product line. It's a simple statement of fact that I have (1) example that has no issues despite continued abuse. I have no doubt others have had horrible experiences with the C39V2 just as I don't doubt others have had good experiences. You never know what you're going to get.

I've also personally witnessed a sectioned RAS47 barrel that was nitrided which I could push the nitride surface treatment off with a carbon file (not a diamond file) and with very little effort. One push across the barrel and I was into soft carbon steel as if there wasn't any nitride at all.

I do not believe the nitride treatment Century does is consistent or durable based on my experiences. I would rather have a chromed bore on my C39V2. I suspect the barrel will be the first to go since I feed it a steady diet of bimetal bullets.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #47
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick954 View Post
I wonder how many people that swear off american aks will buy the kalashnikov usa alpha or 9mm if they turn out to be good guns?
I am not. I will not buy from company that copied the name and plus their rifles are not even ready until 2018. I prefer real Russian weapons
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:16 PM   #48
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:
My C39V2 happens to be one that is good. I've had no issues with it at all
Got a roundabout figure on rounds fired ....??

AK Files custom search
Old 03-22-2017, 03:20 PM   #49
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
I would say getting a good C39V2 is luck of the draw. It's true, I have one I've abused by running it suppressed (e.g. over gassed) to the point carbon is oozing down the side of it. I showed it in a video. The gun shows no signs of any undue wear on the bolt or carrier.

So yes, "batches". It's called QC or "Quality Controls". Parts are made in batches or lots. This is a common practice throughout the manufacturing world. This is one of the areas where manufacturers who are more concerned with a low price than a quality product fudge. They don't test their "batches" for proper hardness among other key measurements, they just assume the shop they've outsourced to is making things to spec.

Anyone who knows anything about manufacturing will tell you it's VERY common for suppliers to screw up production runs and attempt to pass them off to their customer. That's why a strict QC control system is absolutely critical to producing a consistently good performing product.

My C39V2 happens to be one that is good. I've had no issues with it at all. That is NOT an endorsement of the product or the product line. It's a simple statement of fact that I have (1) example that has no issues despite continued abuse. I have no doubt others have had horrible experiences with the C39V2 just as I don't doubt others have had good experiences. You never know what you're going to get.

I've also personally witnessed a sectioned RAS47 barrel that was nitrided which I could push the nitride surface treatment off with a carbon file (not a diamond file) and with very little effort. One push across the barrel and I was into soft carbon steel as if there wasn't any nitride at all.

I do not believe the nitride treatment Century does is consistent or durable based on my experiences. I would rather have a chromed bore on my C39V2. I suspect the barrel will be the first to go since I feed it a steady diet of bimetal bullets.
I agree
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:34 PM   #50
MilitaryArms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
Got a roundabout figure on rounds fired ....??
A solid guess-da-mation would be 3500 or so. Of those less than 300 fired unsuppressed. It was the first AK I suppressed to see what being grossly over gassed might do to an AK.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:35 PM   #51
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
Linky :

Again thanks for what you do Mel (now subscribed)..I have lots more to watch..
Thank you for the sub.

Old 03-22-2017, 04:17 PM   #52
Mel64D
Garage Goober
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 178054

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak shootist View Post
Tim is correct.

I worked (corrective action coordinator for QC) for a small aerospace company and we had to be ISO 9000 certified to sell parts to companies that manufactured aircraft, satellites, and spacecraft.

There were different levels of inspection depending on the requirements of the purchaser. Ranging from inspecting a percentage of the parts initially produced in a production run, then inspecting a percentage of the last parts produced (first to check if there are initial problems and last to check nothing changed during the run), to inspecting a percentage of the parts throughout the run, to inspecting every single part.

A lot of people who have been around manufacturing really look down at manufacturers like Century Arms. It's one thing to produce hulu hoops and have no real QC procedures in place. It is however very irresponsible to manufacture a product like a firearm, where there is a controlled explosion (45,000 - 55,000 PSI)) taking place inches from your body, and not have an good quality control system in place.

Companies like Century are placing their customers safety in jeopardy to save on manufacturing costs.
Yes it is. I work for a company that manufactures shape charges. Also ISO 9000 certified.
We work (not me personally but I am licensed) with that powdery stuff that goes BOOM! "M" grade powder too. People from the "convenient store" (can't remember the acronym) stop by for visits from time to time.

Last edited by Mel64D; 03-22-2017 at 04:23 PM.
Mel64D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #53
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

Quote:

A lot of people who have been around manufacturing really look down at manufacturers like Century Arms. It's one thing to produce hulu hoops and have no real QC procedures in place. It is however very irresponsible to manufacture a product like a firearm, where there is a controlled explosion (45,000 - 55,000 PSI)) taking place inches from your body, and not have an good quality control system in place.
I have long said the EXACT same thing, except I say your face......
Because your body can withstand a lot but not your throat or face

When there is ANY questionable quality of a crucial element in the action,
I will not guess with my face and throat. I'm too good looking

AK Files custom search
Old 03-22-2017, 04:39 PM   #54
Martensite
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
I worked (corrective action coordinator for QC) for a small aerospace company and we had to be ISO 9000 certified to sell parts to companies that manufactured aircraft, satellites, and spacecraft.
I don't envy you. Being a corrective action coordinator can be a shitty job, especially in Aerospace when the ME's and Management want to give you crap for a CA. Also, forget about ISO 9000, everything is going NADCAP these days. Getting ISO 9000 certified is easy compared to getting NAD-CRAP certified and dealing with their yearly audits.
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 08:23 PM   #55
edsinger

I read all that and have just one comment.

ISO blow donkey dicks. Yeah I know it does good but when some inspector comes buy telling me I should be doin something he has no clue about I kind of wonder about some of them. In this world you need the endorsement to sell,, especially is a global market, but some of the stupidity is amazing. Good side, you have to hire a person to just keep up with the paperwork, another job for bureaucratic red tape.

I think Century Arms is probably ISO qualified...
Old 03-22-2017, 08:24 PM   #56
edsinger

DUPE
Old 04-02-2017, 03:40 PM   #57
gunslinger

AKaholic #: 192283

Quote:
Here's yet another positive review of Century's C39V2...I usually find GunsAmerica's reviews to be some of the most unbiased out there. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to run out and buy one...

Comments?

https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/ame...2-full-review/
I read this. It is clear the author knows very little about AK47s and is most likely a paid Century shill.
gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote