Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 04-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #1
czarslayer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 193580
Default CZ75B FTE

Took the 9mms out the other day. Using S&B 115gr, no issues in any pistol except for the CZ. Any ideas what might be causing this?

[URL=http://picpaste.novarata.net/#891ec3a3f42891c58e85d15a8b12793b.jpeg][/URL
czarslayer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
OhShoot!
Jesus built my car
Contributor

AKaholic #: 198137

Take a close look at the extractor claw to make sure it is still in spec. I'm guessing either mag related, or most likely extractor related. This is part of the fun of guns sometimes...
And if you don't throw in your buck-o-five, who will?"
-Team America
OhShoot! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:03 PM   #3
sigking
Curio & Relic
Gold Contributor

AKaholic #: 8744

Try a different ammo. How old/used are the mags? Factory mags?

-

South Carolina....stirring the pot since 1860

-
sigking is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #4
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShoot! View Post
Take a close look at the extractor claw to make sure it is still in spec. I'm guessing either mag related, or most likely extractor related. This is part of the fun of guns sometimes...

How can I tell if it’s out of spec

Last edited by czarslayer; 04-14-2019 at 09:24 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 09:22 PM   #5
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigking View Post
Try a different ammo. How old/used are the mags? Factory mags?

-
I have some Fiocchi coming in soon and I can pick up some heavier stuff from the store, plus maybe Iíll run some of my HST through it. Not sure how old the mag is, it came with the pistol. Itís all metal with no markings except 5, 10 and 15 next to the holes. It also came with a 10 round limited mag which Iíve never used but I can try it out if we think it might be a mag issue
Old 04-14-2019, 09:30 PM   #6
OhShoot!
Jesus built my car
Contributor

AKaholic #: 198137

From the first picture it looks as if the extractor is slipping off the case rim during extraction. Try and see how well the extractor will hold a spent casing with the slide off of the gun. Does it hold it tight, or does it fall out easily when you shake it lightly?? Is the extractor claw sharp, or dulled and rounded where it holds the case rim?
And if you don't throw in your buck-o-five, who will?"
-Team America
OhShoot! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 09:40 PM   #7
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhShoot! View Post
From the first picture it looks as if the extractor is slipping off the case rim during extraction. Try and see how well the extractor will hold a spent casing with the slide off of the gun. Does it hold it tight, or does it fall out easily when you shake it lightly?? Is the extractor claw sharp, or dulled and rounded where it holds the case rim?
I slid an empty in from the bottom, didn’t come out when I shook it. Dropped it on a carpeted floor from about 12-15 inches 6 times and it’s still in there. Landed on all sides. If I put my finger on the front of the case there is some up and down play, no left to right.

I wouldn’t say it’s sharp, but it’s not rounded. Maybe a little flat on the edge? Kind of hard for me to tell

Last edited by czarslayer; 04-14-2019 at 10:10 PM.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:10 PM   #8
Porcupine
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178627

You could clean it and make sure there is no trash in the claw or cut out for the extractor.

Bad extractor spring?

Last edited by Porcupine; 04-15-2019 at 06:25 AM. Reason: Damned spell check.
Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:38 PM   #9
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
You could clean it and make sure there is no trash in the class or cut out for the extractor.

Bad extractor spring?
Not sure I could say without replacing it and testing. I think Iíll order a Wolff spring, and clean everything up when I have it apart to replace it.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #10
Thruxton-Texas
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174649

According to the notations on the factory test target that came with my CZ-75B, they used the S&B 115 grain RN-FMJ; so your ammunition shouldn't be a factor. There is of course the possibility that one cartridge in the lot may have been out of spec (fat); this happens with anything mass produced. Once is a fluke; more than once might indicate a real problem.

The extractor is a good place to look (dirty or weak spring?). But, I noticed that on my pistol, the chamber is a bit on the tight side of tolerances. The only failures to feed or extract that I ever experienced with mine was when I tried some Wolf steel cased stuff. The problems were consistent throughout the whole box of 50. Oddly enough, the problem went away for the remaining 250 rounds (Winchester White-Box if memory serves); and this was without cleaning. A snug chamber could conceivably offer enough drag to make the empty case pop out of the extractor. These are just speculations, it's hard to diagnose mechanical problems over the 'Net. Good Luck! ..........James.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:28 AM   #11
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thruxton-Texas View Post
According to the notations on the factory test target that came with my CZ-75B, they used the S&B 115 grain RN-FMJ; so your ammunition shouldn't be a factor. There is of course the possibility that one cartridge in the lot may have been out of spec (fat); this happens with anything mass produced. Once is a fluke; more than once might indicate a real problem.

The extractor is a good place to look (dirty or weak spring?). But, I noticed that on my pistol, the chamber is a bit on the tight side of tolerances. The only failures to feed or extract that I ever experienced with mine was when I tried some Wolf steel cased stuff. The problems were consistent throughout the whole box of 50. Oddly enough, the problem went away for the remaining 250 rounds (Winchester White-Box if memory serves); and this was without cleaning. A snug chamber could conceivably offer enough drag to make the empty case pop out of the extractor. These are just speculations, it's hard to diagnose mechanical problems over the 'Net. Good Luck! ..........James.
Thanks! I'm starting with the extractor so hopefully that takes care of it. If not, it sounds like more rounds downrange helped open yours up enough? This happened about 3 times in one mag, and again a few times in another mag from a different box of ammo (same brand) so it is definitely a consistent issue.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:08 PM   #12
Thruxton-Texas
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174649

Quote:
Originally Posted by czarslayer View Post
Thanks! I'm starting with the extractor so hopefully that takes care of it. If not, it sounds like more rounds downrange helped open yours up enough? This happened about 3 times in one mag, and again a few times in another mag from a different box of ammo (same brand) so it is definitely a consistent issue.
If changing the extractor spring and general cleaning doesn't solve your problem, the next place to look is the chamber. You could contact someone like Cajun Gun Works to ask them about polishing the chamber; but this would seem kinda' extreme. You might try scouring it with a bronze bore brush while you're dealing with the rest of it; it won't hurt the steel. Maybe there's some heavy preservative accumulations? Who knows?

Wolf steel cased ammo was the only brand/type that ever caused me problems. I've never had problems with the usual brass cased stuff. If your gun is new, it may just need breaking in. I find that with the CZ brand, the more you shoot 'em the smoother/better they work. .........James.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #13
Porcupine
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178627

Quote:
If changing the extractor spring and general cleaning doesn't solve your problem, the next place to look is the chamber. You could contact someone like Cajun Gun Works to ask them about polishing the chamber; but this would seem kinda' extreme. You might try scouring it with a bronze bore brush while you're dealing with the rest of it; it won't hurt the steel. Maybe there's some heavy preservative accumulations? Who knows?

Wolf steel cased ammo was the only brand/type that ever caused me problems. I've never had problems with the usual brass cased stuff. If your gun is new, it may just need breaking in. I find that with the CZ brand, the more you shoot 'em the smoother/better they work. .........James.
+1

When I let someone shoot one of mine, they often ask what kind of trigger job they've had.

I tell them my standard CZ trigger job is:

1) Clean it well
2) Shoot a couple cases of ammo through it.

Porcupine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:40 PM   #14
czarslayer
Contributor

Quote:

I don't know the lifetime round count on it, but it is very clean. I will do as you said and take a brush to it at the same time. This thing is very fun to shoot in between failures, so I look forward to working this out