Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 08-01-2018, 06:29 PM   #1
AK-104
Stroke My Member

AKaholic #: 162667
Default Vortex Strikefire II

I have ran Aimpoints almost exclusively for several years, and love them for their battery life mostly. Still, a deal is a deal and when I saw the deal from PSA offering a Vortex Strikefire II with ten 30 round Magpul PMags for $189.99, I decided to take a chance.

I've looked at some youtube reviews and such, but wanted to know from real world owners what they think of the Strikefire II. Am I likely to be disappointed, or will it be a solid performer with less battery life than I am used to? I plan to use this on a 20 inch M16A4 clone which has proven very accurate with a carry handle iron sight.

What's the verdict on this optic?
Old 08-01-2018, 06:47 PM   #2
Cole Dedhand
A Militia of One

AKaholic #: 186633

They fixed the problems I had with the first gen Strikefires. Mainly the power button and the NV button, which were perfectly placed to be accidentally pushed, especially when the rifle is slung. On the rifles where I could do it I turned the optic 90 degrees so the buttons were on the bottom, protecting them from being accidentally pushed. The same thing could be done with the gen 2 if you find your gear is adjusting your brightness for you.
Old 08-01-2018, 06:55 PM   #3
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Battery life on the gen one is fine .
cant say about the new one .
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2018, 01:30 AM   #4
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Vortex has great warranty. You’re good to go. It’s a red dot.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:08 AM   #5
AK-104
Stroke My Member

I'm hopeful. I figured that for the price it would be worth a try. I'm just so used to turning on my Aimpoint and leaving it on that I am not sure how well I will lkke having to turn this one on and off all the time.

With any luck, it will be a simple matter of getting used to and the optic will be good to go. Thanks for the input folks. Keep it coming.
Old 08-03-2018, 12:13 PM   #6
wind-catcher

AKaholic #: 187373

I had both SparcII and StrikefireII. Had to sell them because of the vision issues (starbursts on both scopes for me and a crisp dot for the others). But I loved the green dot on the Strikefire. Never thought I'd love it. Oh, what I didn't like on the Strikefire is the battery type. Just not that widely available here.

Later got myself PA 503G ACSS and now I'm kinda shocked. Perfect, crisp horseshoe with shevron. I was going to mount it on my Remington 870, but now thinking of trying it on my Saiga. Go figure.
wind-catcher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:39 PM   #7
Whiphub

AKaholic #: 196626

I have a SF2 that I put on an unused Aimpoint PRO mount I had. Once mounted, I tried to align the dot with my iron sights. Windage would not budge left or right. Sent it back to Vortex and they couldn’t find anything wrong. Come to find out, i had over torqued the ring on the aimpoint mount. Off the mount windage adjusts fine. So, great customer support in my experience and be mindful of torques if installing on aftermarket mount.
Whiphub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 02:14 PM   #8
Lone Eagle
Resident Psycho

AKaholic #: 170792

I had one, and it was the only dot optic that played fair with my astigmatism. I'd ditch the factory battery and grab an Energizer Lithium for it.

Lone Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:33 AM   #9
AK-104
Stroke My Member

Just took delivery of the Strikefire 2 yesterday and will be getting it sighted in today on my A4 clone. I plan to power it on at the beginning of a shift and forget about it to see how many real world hours of use I get from it running it on a patrol rifle that goes in and out of my patrol car every day.

I like the looks, the weight isnt bad, controls are simple, glass is clear, seems to go plenty bright enough, and the warranty is nice. My only initial complaint is that tbe dot looks more like a starburst to me but I can live with that if it hits and holds zero.

I can already tell that I wont like it as well as say my Aimpoint PRO, because of the advertised lower battery life, the auto shutoff feature, and the fact that the lens covers dont offer tbe ability to use the optic with them closed. Aside from that I am hopeful. Only time will tell.