Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 12:40 AM   #1
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

AKaholic #: 157160
Default Is this worth buying?

Any thoughts and/or advice on this? Is it a good deal?

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...-new?a=2051761
Old 12-20-2017, 01:50 AM   #2
Prairie Fire

AKaholic #: 893

All depends on what your needs are, v whatever you already have along those lines. You could maybe piece together that set for cheaper online, or by haunting surplus stores in your AO. You certainly can do a lot worse by buying Chicom vests.

I have no doubt that there's more than a few here who have hard experience with those rigs, and hate them. That sort of vest arrangement is not my first choice, I was schooled on M1956 carrying arrangements, and pretty much still default to such, upgraded to the improved times.

But on that linked pkg, I'll put in a good word for that assault pack. I have one, it is nice for what it is. I'd call it a thirty pound pack, and go Hellcat or Alice above that weight. Those who have had to carry that assault pack overloaded most likely will hate them forever and for good reason.

If what you have currently does not fit your needs, then try that pkg. You can sell off the pieces of it that you don't need. Start with the shovel carrier, current USGI shovels suck.
Prairie Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 04:32 AM   #3
0DARK30
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 169651

hydration packs, i prefer managing nalgene bottles to bad tasting bags and the form fitting piece of plastic on my back, not very breatheable. Memphis is sweatier than most places though. Pack n all looks ok but kinda light duty for what i would need it for. More of a day rig.
0DARK30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
IdahoMike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170136

Fuck and no. I am issued them and only used them when I was a Private. I hate those fuckin things. Get you a chest rig and some pouches to suit your needs, and Iam sure you already have a backpack better than that floppy piece of shit.
IdahoMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:19 AM   #5
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

Greek - I sent you a PM.

I'm more of a Chest Rig type of guy, and beyond those tend to look for rigs that accept Molle pouches of choice. The info I sent is about such a military vest(s).

I also saw some interesting offerings rigs on the Barska site recently. Amazon carries a lot also.

In addition, I also concur with a comment above about similar to the pistol Belt and Harness set ups that used to be standard in the US Army. I have several of those also, and use then in conjunction with chest rigs - in fact could be used with certain types of molle vests. The Vests I sent you info on are Spanish and British Military Vests.

Last edited by Disburse-Now; 12-20-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:55 AM   #6
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Disburse-Now View Post
Greek - I sent you a PM.

I'm more of a Chest Rig type of guy, and beyond those tend to look for rigs that accept Molle pouches of choice. The info I sent is about such a military vest(s).

I also saw some interesting offerings rigs on the Barska site recently. Amazon carries a lot also.

In addition, I also concur with a comment above about similar to the pistol Belt and Harness set ups that used to be standard in the US Army. I have several of those also, and use then in conjunction with chest rigs - in fact could be used with certain types of molle vests. The Vests I sent you info on are Spanish and British Military Vests.
I didn't get the PM, try sending it again.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:06 AM   #7
sdw2008
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171683

I'm a fan of LBE set ups too. I'll second that they do work great with the right chest rig but I am not big on chest rigs. And yes, you can find a better bag than that.

You can probably find a better deal on that whole set up if you decide to go that route. Also, pouches made for AR mags don't usually work well for AK mags. I'm sure you already know that, though. You may want to check out Ebay. There are good deals to be had. If you are looking for AK-specific gear, check out SSO/SPOSN. Kosea (fellow 'Filer) sells stuff on Ebay.
sdw2008 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 10:41 AM   #8
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

That stuff all sucks. Id prefer a 3 cell chicom rig to that shitty vest.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:06 AM   #9
UsernameMDM
x39

AKaholic #: 169388

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdw2008 View Post
Also, pouches made for AR mags don't usually work well for AK mags.
None of those mag pouches will fit a 30rd AK mag.

Also, I'd look into more modern equipment: plate carrier with detachable chest rig, molle belt setup, a good pack, and hydration.
UsernameMDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:22 AM   #10
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

It is what it is,

It is US issue and crude, but I've seen this exact pkg cheaper, and if your flexible, it'll work.

Again, I've seen this exact pkg cheaper by about 20-40$... Give it some time. The stuff is durable and long lasting. I have a pack like the one showed and like it and son uses the hydration system mountain biking. He's a heck of a critic and rough on his stuff at his age and likes it.

To expensive now.

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 02:51 PM   #11
Stetchkov

AKaholic #: 186466

I would not get this, I'd invest in a chest rig and pouches for close to $200.
Stetchkov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

I just got in from work and sent another PM on the type of vest I would recommend as a best buy.

Just look thru the site and you will find them both.
Old 12-20-2017, 10:54 PM   #13
Polytech_81

AKaholic #: 194253

I came home after I EAS from the Marine Corps with most of that stuff but in woodland and or coyote brown. It works but not the best. Except for the velcro double mag pouches, those other mag pouches are shit, they won't even work with PMAGs let alone AK mags as they are made to tightly fit USGI aluminum mags. I used my own personally purchased gear when I was active duty anyway.

I prefer my Chinese Type 81 chest rig over the MOLLE II FLC any day. I can fit either 4 AK mags or 8 USGI & Lancer AWM AR mags. With ITW fastex buckles on the rear tie straps, my chest rig snugly fits me whether I wear a plate carrier or not. I remember having to adjust the FLC to fit on my body slick or with IBA on was a pain in the ass. I also have the Haley D3CR-H with kydex inserts, a great setup if you're looking for a more modern rig.
Polytech_81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #14
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

Keep Shooting is the company and site - Find the British Vest in desert Camo with Pouches and the Spanish Vest in the Tactical gear section. That is what I was PMing about. Great Buys in that specific type of vest. Read the comments on buyers and users on each.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:38 AM   #15
Fire4Effect
Tap, rack, bang

AKaholic #: 181925

Hell no. Molle was a disaster for the Corps. Stay away.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:34 AM   #16
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

Those things suck. The little best is ok and you can mod it but just go shop online and get something bad ass or do the chicom rig thing. Or just get a 511 plate carrier or eagle ind plate carrier and a couple of plates and side plates.

US GI molle riflemans ta-50 is usually royal shit. I have about 5 RFI sets in my garage and I’d give you that shit if you lived near me

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
—-///——///———-///——

“Russia will succeed only to the degree that Russia is able to achieve Russia. Russia is the goal.” Quincy Jackson
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:39 AM   #17
TheBohunk
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174221

Quote:
I'm a fan of LBE set ups too. I'll second that they do work great with the right chest rig but I am not big on chest rigs. And yes, you can find a better bag than that.

You can probably find a better deal on that whole set up if you decide to go that route. Also, pouches made for AR mags don't usually work well for AK mags. I'm sure you already know that, though. You may want to check out Ebay. There are good deals to be had. If you are looking for AK-specific gear, check out SSO/SPOSN. Kosea (fellow 'Filer) sells stuff on Ebay.
I've had good luck fitting 5.45 mags into pouches designed for the AR.

In or around Iowa? Join the Iowa Region Avtomats
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=23
TheBohunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:07 AM   #18
sdw2008
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBohunk View Post
I've had good luck fitting 5.45 mags into pouches designed for the AR.
Open top? Which ones have you found that work? Both 47 and 74 mags always seem to be too tall and/or the lugs/floorplates catch too much. If would be interested in some that work for 74.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:39 AM   #19
BackwoodsRaider

AKaholic #: 171642

not a fan of the vest personally. but i have a spare set that will be turned in and will keep the new
BackwoodsRaider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 04:26 PM   #20
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6034

For that kind of money you could have a nice custom rig made minus the backpack. The camelback I'm not really impressed with, I went back to regular canteens.

Good place to start, but he's not taking work right now. https://www.facebook.com/Kennedy-Nyl...4032604784809/

"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS MADE AMERICA FREE"
AND I'M KEEPING ALL THREE!

Last edited by XSAPPER; 12-21-2017 at 04:39 PM.
XSAPPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 01:08 AM   #21
TheGreek!
ALPHA MALE

Thanks for all the responses. The general consensus is to pass on it so that's what I'll do. It looked like a good deal but since I have no real world experience with that gear I figured someone here did and would post their opinions on whether or not is was good.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:35 AM   #22
SAIGA 5.45
King of the Apemen

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Open top? Which ones have you found that work? Both 47 and 74 mags always seem to be too tall and/or the lugs/floorplates catch too much. If would be interested in some that work for 74.
I've actually used condor pouches with good luck, even the ones with the velcro flaps will cover a 74 mag enough to close.

The next Miss America will be David Hogg- Owen Benjamin.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:44 AM   #23
sdw2008
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
I've actually used condor pouches with good luck, even the ones with the velcro flaps will cover a 74 mag enough to close.
Good to know!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:44 AM   #24
TheBohunk
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I should rephrase myself. I've not tried a lot of them, just one. The government issue LB setup that the army used in the 80s, I think. They are closed top. 74 mags fit nice and snug.

Like this:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...iABEgLoLPD_BwE

I went under the assumption that 74 mags would fit similarly in all AR pouches.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:33 AM   #25
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

Quote:
I should rephrase myself. I've not tried a lot of them, just one. The government issue LB setup that the army used in the 80s, I think. They are closed top. 74 mags fit nice and snug.

Like this:
https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...iABEgLoLPD_BwE

I went under the assumption that 74 mags would fit similarly in all AR pouches.
On my LBV the 74 mags fit but you couldn't snap the flaps closed and the fit a little too snug for my taste.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:52 AM   #26
sdw2008
Veteran Member

Thats been my experience as well. I had Kennedy Nylon Designs make some for me that i use with an old school LBE. They have pistol mag pouches on the side and a bayonet holder too (pics are on his FB page). They work with both 47 and 74 mags. I really like them. One of these days I am.going to grab one of those SPOSN set ups, too. Those look slick and obviously made for AK mags.
Old 12-23-2017, 11:12 AM   #27
sineypem
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 175069

Christmas present for yourself?
Old 12-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #28
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Thats been my experience as well. I had Kennedy Nylon Designs make some for me that i use with an old school LBE. They have pistol mag pouches on the side and a bayonet holder too (pics are on his FB page). They work with both 47 and 74 mags. I really like them. One of these days I am.going to grab one of those SPOSN set ups, too. Those look slick and obviously made for AK mags.
Yes my LBV panels were made by Kennedy Nylon Designs, Outstanding workmanship.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:38 AM   #29
TheBohunk
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSAPPER View Post
On my LBV the 74 mags fit but you couldn't snap the flaps closed and the fit a little too snug for my taste.
That’s strange. Mine snapped shut just fine. Maybe it was stretched out a bit? I don’t know, the vest doesn’t seem hardly worn at all

Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 AM   #30
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSAPPER View Post
That’s strange. Mine snapped shut just fine. Maybe it was stretched out a bit? I don’t know, the vest doesn’t seem hardly worn at all
Not strange at all.

Military procurement + modern production methodology pretty much insures that not every "identical' mass-production item will be "identical", and as long as it's within the spec, it's accepted for use.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote