Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 09-18-2017, 07:06 PM   #1
KalashniKemp

AKaholic #: 193899
Default Korean AK mags

So whats the deal with korean mags? Anyone have any experience with them i want some tanker mags but wont buy them if they wont function.
KalashniKemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:09 PM   #2
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

I just got a 20-round Korean mag last week.

It was only $10, and no shipping as it was with some other stuff I ordered, so I figured what the hell, give it a try.

I have to say I was pleasantly surprised at the quality. Already taken it out and put 20 rounds through it x2, with no malfunctions. Fits perfectly in my Saiga with no wobble. I will probably pick a few more up, as I like the 20-round size.
DesertGunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:15 PM   #3
JohnT43

AKaholic #: 166907

I have some 20 rounders and they work fine.
JohnT43 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:16 PM   #4
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by KalashniKemp View Post
So whats the deal with korean mags? Anyone have any experience with them i want some tanker mags but wont buy them if they wont function.
Search much?

There's several hundred threads or posts on Korean AK mags here, and I highly doubt the Koreans have changed anything since the last time they were posted about . . .
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 07:34 PM   #5
KalashniKemp

AKaholic #: 193899

All I had heard in my neck of the woods was they weren't any good. But, then again my area is just a bunch of rednecks that can barely use AKs
KalashniKemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:12 PM   #6
ssnovaak

AKaholic #: 156075

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
Search much?

There's several hundred threads or posts on Korean AK mags here, and I highly doubt the Koreans have changed anything since the last time they were posted about . . .
I've heard and read mixed things for years about them, some people swore they were great and they used 'em without issues, others not so much. I was wondering myself too if anything had changed with them, I looked up some newer reviews from vendors and they seem really positive now, then again, it could be fudged by the vendor(they delete the bad reviews.. but then again I do see them sell products with bad reviews too... so again, makes me wonder).

Here's an example of what I'm talking about:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/new-...ed-back-ak-mag

https://www.classicfirearms.com/30-r...d-south-korean

They've got a parkerized and traditional finish one. I reiterate, years ago, reviews were a mixed bag, consumers reported back that it worked, or some say it was a no-go, but nowadays, I'm hearing good stuff, so it does make me wonder if they've fixed 'em.

Here's looking at the 20 round magazine, if you check out the user reviews, look at the latest ones, again sounding good:

https://www.classicfirearms.com/20-r...t_tabs_reviews

Heck, I may consider picking up a few for those prices, just to see what's up... though I'm not in a hurry as I've got plenty of mags as is.

Last edited by ssnovaak; 09-18-2017 at 09:22 PM.
ssnovaak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #7
XSAPPER
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6034

https://www.centerfiresystems.com/p-...and-pouch.aspx

"GOD, GUTS, AND GUNS MADE AMERICA FREE"
AND I'M KEEPING ALL THREE!

http://mimage.novarata.net/
XSAPPER is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:51 AM   #8
Black Blade
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 181106

Never had any problems myself and I have a few 20, 30 and 40 rounders. Some are purists and collectors so there will be some love-hate opinions here and elsewhere. As for function they work fine though some claim the metals is thinner. Otherwise no issues.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:01 AM   #9
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

The 40 rounders are a great bargain also. I was among the initial buyers several years ago of the initial batches of the 20 rounders from Korea, and there were mfg issues in that the rear lug was not welded flush with the top inside of the back of the mag - which caused some to file the rear lug to fit the rifle properly in some AK's. I have a converted Saiga in 7.62 that those initial 20 round batch mags fits perfect in.
I will have to order some of the latest production runs to see if in fact the simple fix I noted earlier has been done at the factory. The comments on the BHO inserts are helpful also - if so inclined.
I have not sampled the 30 rounders yet, but the 20 and 40 rounders are all right - not European, but mostly functional.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 01:27 PM   #10
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

They're fun to paint and if the paint job comes out wrong, just do it again. Get the paint job right then use the same method on some real magazines. My Korean mag (yes...only one got in a trade) is a Guinea pig. Serves it's purpose well I might add.

Quote:
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein
DEFCON 2.5
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 02:30 AM   #11
ssnovaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
They're fun to paint and if the paint job comes out wrong, just do it again. Get the paint job right then use the same method on some real magazines. My Korean mag (yes...only one got in a trade) is a Guinea pig. Serves it's purpose well I might add.
What can we say? The South Korean mags are much like the American USA made mags... before you say, "WHAT?", think about it... South Korea is an allied force, they use 556 for their military, whereas their nemesis uses AK for their military, and they(South Korea... and USA.. though we're a bit different here as we have the 2nd A, so we do have a stronger market, therefore companies here need to take their consumers seriously) just make AK mags for "fun"/commercial/consumer grade stuff, rather than Mil-Spec, we like to say "European" for decent AK's, but the reality is former Com-bloc, any former communist country that used the AK for their military made the real deal (ie: Poland, former East Germany, Romania, all former USSR nations that manufactured AK's, and China). Basically any country that uses/used the AK47 for their military, took the task seriously to make a mil-spec product that their country could depend on.

But again, it does seem like the KCI South Korean consumer(just for fun) mags are getting mostly all positive reviews lately, I came across some more reviews:

https://gunmagwarehouse.com/kci-ak-4...-magazine.html
Old 12-05-2017, 08:45 AM   #12
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

It is what it is. We folks here in America love market hype. We also love cheap shit when we'd much rather have something for free.
Why do you think that the 'Buy American' plan didn't last very long? Must have been one of those political things huh? Yep. I'd venture to guess that Vizio televisions are in 80% of homes across America as well.

Quote:
I fear the day that technology surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots. - Albert Einstein
DEFCON 2.5
Old 12-05-2017, 10:06 AM   #13
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Korean mags are the only ones I have ever seen the spot welds come off the rear lug when the mag was in very solid condition with little usage, the welds are smaller then surplus.

For new magazines I lean towards these or these.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/ak47-ma...-packaged.html

https://www.cdnnsports.com/too-cheap...l#.Wianmnlry1s

both are far superior to Korean mags in every way shape and form, the croat mags may need a little filing on the lug on some rifles, I have yet to have an issue with them in anything I have tried, they fit tight and don't wobble, the Bolt Hold Open feature is a massive plus.

the Bulgarian mags are quality as well with a polymer follower so a little weight savings.

both come packed in oil so good for storage but shit for getting ready to go to the range so if your gonna use them clean them up good first before heading out.

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:08 AM   #14
SAIGA 5.45
Old Dirty Bastard of the Files

AKaholic #: 174648

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
It is what it is. We folks here in America love market hype. We also love cheap shit when we'd much rather have something for free.
Why do you think that the 'Buy American' plan didn't last very long? Must have been one of those political things huh? Yep. I'd venture to guess that Vizio televisions are in 80% of homes across America as well.
Does someone perpetually shit in your cheerio's every morning or do you just wake up a cunt?

I should be back in Jacksonville, putting my spicy man meat into a mother/daughter sandwich, that's what I want- Ashley J. Williams

Last edited by SAIGA 5.45; 12-05-2017 at 07:51 PM.
SAIGA 5.45 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 10:29 AM   #15
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
Does someone perpetually shit in your cheerio's every morning or do you just wake up an asshole?
I think it's just your perspective.
I thought this was where all the assholes hung out.
Hows about an edit button to go with your coffee?

Quote:
DEFCON 2.5
Old 12-05-2017, 11:28 AM   #16
slapshut
MAG WHORE

AKaholic #: 165205

The next to the last batch were painted black. The magazines seem to be getting a little better with every batch/color finish. The last one are black also, but have a logo on the side. There are two manufactures that I know of that use a three piece stack for the rear lug- these and the Croatians. I believe this got the Croatians magazines in trouble because there are a lot of fitment issues with the rear lug. Early on, the gray Korean magazines had a problem with the "stacking" of the two piece lug also. If you must have some, get the black ones or the thirty round black with logo.

Tracy Chapman
slapshut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 09:42 PM   #17
cciman

AKaholic #: 161444

Just bought some, black glossy paint, ones from CDNN. They are the only metal ones that fit consistently and lock solidly into my Galil Ace...and they drop free--- compared to the Magpul, that fit well but do not drop, and the Commbloc metals that do not fit without a struggle....
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 02:23 AM   #18
ssnovaak

Quote:
Originally Posted by cciman View Post
Just bought some, black glossy paint, ones from CDNN. They are the only metal ones that fit consistently and lock solidly into my Galil Ace...and they drop free--- compared to the Magpul, that fit well but do not drop, and the Commbloc metals that do not fit without a struggle....
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience... it really does seem like the Korean mags might've gone through an iteration change.... which would consolidate with the all the recent/late positive reviews on them.. makes it more compelling. I still haven't picked up any myself yet.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:25 PM   #19
cciman

AKaholic #: 161444

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssnovaak View Post
Interesting, thanks for sharing your experience... it really does seem like the Korean mags might've gone through an iteration change.... which would consolidate with the all the recent/late positive reviews on them.. makes it more compelling. I still haven't picked up any myself yet.

Just tested them on my AMD, Saiga Russian, Saiga Bulgarian, Vepr : And they fit nicely into all -like the Magpuls.

I cannot say the same about my Tapco polymer, com bloc steels, com bloc polymers, older Parkerized Korean <-- these fit some, not all, and if they fit require a little fiddling, or have needed filing to get to where they are...
cciman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:15 PM   #20
MOTOROLANUT
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Korean mags are the only ones I have ever seen the spot welds come off the rear lug when the mag was in very solid condition with little usage, the welds are smaller then surplus.

For new magazines I lean towards these or these.

https://www.apexgunparts.com/ak47-ma...-packaged.html

https://www.cdnnsports.com/too-cheap...l#.Wianmnlry1s

both are far superior to Korean mags in every way shape and form, the croat mags may need a little filing on the lug on some rifles, I have yet to have an issue with them in anything I have tried, they fit tight and don't wobble, the Bolt Hold Open feature is a massive plus.

the Bulgarian mags are quality as well with a polymer follower so a little weight savings.

both come packed in oil so good for storage but shit for getting ready to go to the range so if your gonna use them clean them up good first before heading out.
https://www.aimsurplus.com/product.a...x39&groupid=15

Decent deal on the croats right now.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
jonjairo

AKaholic #: 183628

we need these korean manufacturers to make new 5.45 mags, with that being said their gray mags were a little thin, but seemed fine, ive held the new ones im pretty sure, and they seem very nice
jonjairo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 06:59 PM   #22
J_Quinn86
Monitored by the Feds

AKaholic #: 191911

I have the grey and blued with no trouble.
So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven - Mathew 10:32

"If the FEDS aren't watching you, you're doing something wrong."
J_Quinn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 07:02 PM   #23
raggedwhole!
Blue eyed devil

AKaholic #: 172787

Quote:
Does someone perpetually shit in your cheerio's every morning or do you just wake up a cunt?
Wow. Incredible post. Simply amazing.

Uuuh ugh uh ooh ooh! Uuh ugh uggggh uuuuug uh uh uh ooh. Aaah agh ugh uh aaawwwooh?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxxII View Post
Obviously, I should take criticism and comments from a user such as yourself to heart.
raggedwhole! is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 08:05 PM   #24
wanderson

AKaholic #: 170540
Default 20 rounders

If weíre talking 20 rounders, the Koreans arenít bad, and the only other steel option are the real steel Hungarian Tankers, which are great, but not cheap. I bought one Korean steel mag a few years ago (the black glossy finish) for $8 and Iíve not had any problems in either my WASR or Draco. But havenít bought any more.

At that price I think your only other option are the Tapcos in a 20, but for a few bucks more I think the Magpul MOEs are the best bang for the buck.

If weíre talking 30s, Iíd recommend surplus or the new Bulgarian mags.
wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote