Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 12-28-2017, 05:14 PM   #106
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

AKaholic #: 170325

Digging the Ruger PC9!

As I already have SR mags, plan to add a Security 9 to the collection, so I can use those mags as well, and I have a bunch of Glock mags that I use in my AR9. All can be used in the PC9!

That's a smart move by Ruger!

It's a breakdown design which is also cool.

Only thing I don't care for are the sights.
Old 12-28-2017, 05:18 PM   #107
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezfan View Post
Hopefully Ruger will release a version with a threaded barrel. If not I'm sure the aftermarket will.
The blog author is sad you didn't read what they wrote . . . .

( threaded barrel is standard on the "free state" edition )
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:24 PM   #108
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post
The blog author is sad you didn't read what they wrote . . . .

( threaded barrel is standard on the "free state" edition )
I'm sad you didn't see my corrected post before you added your uneccassary drivel.

But thanks...
Old 12-28-2017, 05:28 PM   #109
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dezfan View Post
I'm sad you didn't see my corrected post before you added your uneccassary drivel.

But thanks...
Kinda hard to see things from an edit window :/
Old 12-28-2017, 05:33 PM   #110
Dezfan
Kalashnikov Fan

Quote:
Kinda hard to see things from an edit window :/
Then maybe you shouldn't be so quick to try and mock someone?
Old 12-28-2017, 05:43 PM   #111
Big_Red_Rocket

AKaholic #: 173624

PC Carbine™ chambered in 9mm Luger from Ruger

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...liber-carbine/

Big_Red_Rocket is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 05:45 PM   #112
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Rocket View Post

http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...liber-carbine/

Yeah, about that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanker2000 View Post
Old 12-28-2017, 05:56 PM   #113
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

A carbine in 5.7 is an interesting idea. Much more expensive than my 9mm, but would definitely consider if I already had a FN 5.7.
burninglegs is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:03 PM   #114
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Not a big fan of pistol caliber carbines myself. They don't solve any real problems or fill any real needs imo. They are fun for the range or if you needed some sort of small take down gun to backpack and shoot varmints with. But they don't really excel at anything when it comes to defense or hunting.
If we could get full auto stuff then I would change my mind but in semi auto you're better off blasting intermediate or full sized rifle rounds every time you pull the trigger on something labeled a "carbine".
Old 12-28-2017, 06:18 PM   #115
Glashaus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180938

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post

A carbine in 5.7 is an interesting idea. Much more expensive than my 9mm, but would definitely consider if I already had a FN 5.7.
The PS90 and Five Seven combo rocks

Old 12-28-2017, 06:40 PM   #116
John A.
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178172

The Ruger PC9 kinda reminds me of a revamped camp carbine.

Not a bad thing if it is.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 06:49 PM   #117
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
Not a big fan of pistol caliber carbines myself. They don't solve any real problems or fill any real needs imo. They are fun for the range or if you needed some sort of small take down gun to backpack and shoot varmints with. But they don't really excel at anything when it comes to defense or hunting.
If we could get full auto stuff then I would change my mind but in semi auto you're better off blasting intermediate or full sized rifle rounds every time you pull the trigger on something labeled a "carbine".
The argument is that they are more more accurate and less recoil...
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:19 PM   #118
David Teague
Droll Moderator

AKaholic #: 162037

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
Yep. I can triple tap the head fast with a PCC vs being off target by the 2nd shot in the same time with a SBR at about 20 yards.

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg

Last edited by David Teague; 12-28-2017 at 07:36 PM.
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:22 PM   #119
AlphaTango4
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164926

Those masterpiece arms carbines are crazy.

We had one in the shop for cleaning. Customer complained it was "going full auto".

The trigger is stupid light and it bump fired 10 rounds from the shoulder into my test fire bin before I could blink.

So for cheap thrills, MPA ftw.

My friends know how to reach me. I'm out.
AlphaTango4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:50 PM   #120
Martensite
Totally Phased

AKaholic #: 188470

Do most ranges allow pistol caliber carbines on their handgun ranges or no?
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:55 PM   #121
sboone
MAK Attacker

AKaholic #: 179556

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martensite View Post
Usually

“People of Wal-Mart”- the most dangerous large game in North America

When you speak and spread the truth you become a point of light in darkest day and darkest night
sboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:15 PM   #122
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
But it’s only a 9mm...

You know, like a paintball gun, but less deadly.

While some of you are planing on the gun fight at the end of the world, I plan on more likely, real life self defense scenarios...

Ones where I have to drop the hammer at a 21 feet or less, not 300 meters.

You know, based on current, real life situations and my home’s floor plan.

The problem with pistol calibers isn't that they don't work it's that they're slow to work. In most self defense and police shootings I see pistol calibers are taking 3-7 rounds to subdue the threat. The limitations of the pistol round force that many rounds to be fired to accelerate the speed at which the treat is stopped. The question is, is it faster to use a braced rifle caliber chambered pistol due to lower amount of hits needed and if so how important is that speed given that there could more than one threat and unlike police and military legally armed civilians are most often alone in aiding their defense when forced to shoot.

Last edited by nofreetime; 12-28-2017 at 10:22 PM.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:36 PM   #123
Brasky
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Please show me a full size rifle that is 5lbs or less and can fit in a 20" backpack without being disassembled

My sub 2000 loaded with 33 HST 147+p is plenty sufficient for anything short of a Russian invasion and fits those criteria.

I can carry it all day in a pack with 200 rounds on loaded mags comfortably, and all it takes is to unfold it and it is ready. With a sound forwarder I can shoot it comfortably without hearing protection if need be.

With a rifle I would need either a "pistol" with a brace (really loud, fireballs, bad ballistics) or one that needs assembly before use. Plus the ammo for most rifles weighs considerably more meaning I cannot carry nearly as much comfortably
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:52 PM   #124
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Please show me a full size rifle that is 5lbs or less and can fit in a 20" backpack without being disassembled

My sub 2000 loaded with 33 HST 147+p is plenty sufficient for anything short of a Russian invasion and fits those criteria.

I can carry it all day in a pack with 200 rounds on loaded mags comfortably, and all it takes is to unfold it and it is ready. With a sound forwarder I can shoot it comfortably without hearing protection if need be.

With a rifle I would need either a "pistol" with a brace (really loud, fireballs, bad ballistics) or one that needs assembly before use. Plus the ammo for most rifles weighs considerably more meaning I cannot carry nearly as much comfortably

It fits in a backpack, law tactical folding stock adapter check em out they rock! You'd have to strip it down to irons only and QD off the blast diffuser and that would get it down to under 6lbs but then again it does have a Noveske heavy barrel.

You're aware that 147gr 9mm (0.4oz/ea) weighs more than 62gr 556 (0.35oz/ea) right?? Talking about how much the loaded rounds weigh just to be clear.

Last edited by nofreetime; 12-30-2017 at 01:20 PM.
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 10:58 PM   #125
nalioth

Quote:
Depends on the range.

If you have one run by one of those guys wot believes the extra 6" of barrel will produce enough extra energy to blow out the back wall or evacuate a new sump pit down range, "no".
Old 12-28-2017, 11:02 PM   #126
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Red_Rocket View Post
Takes glock mags. They're smart. Hopefully it gets popular enough that it gets plenty of aftermarket support. Integral suppressed barrel. Magpul hunter stock. And Its called PC. I like it. Sign me up.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 11:44 PM   #127
mike88
Lord of the Manor

AKaholic #: 170852

UZI.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:13 AM   #128
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
More accurate because of less recoil yes. Also has less effective terminal ballistics and a shorter effective range.
Old 12-29-2017, 03:28 AM   #129
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
More accurate because of less recoil yes. Also has less effective terminal ballistics and a shorter effective range.

Old 12-29-2017, 03:59 AM   #130
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

Quote:

Nobodies talking about full sized rifles though, I'm talking about what I call "carbines" and what most people more accurately would call a PDW these days. Any PDW sized firearm needs to be taken down, folded up or otherwise be made more compact in order to fit into a backpack. Plenty of designs in many calibers exist though lucky for us.

Its good you are confident in what you're carrying and that it also feels comfortable for you to carry.
The 9mm ammo isn't really any lighter than some intermediate rifle rounds though. For example a 124 gr 9mm round is heavier than most 5.56 loadings. So you can already carry the same load out but more terminally effective at around the same size, weight and cost.
And even if you did have heavier ammo why do you need 200 rounds of it ? You said you weren't fighting Russians right ? Just carry a little less to make up for a weight difference. Or get stronger.
Same thing with the ears, you can carry anything from cheap plugs to sonic plugs and everything in between. If the Russians show up who gives a crap about a little less noise and muzzle blast, there's fucking Russians in them trees over there trying to kill us man. Put them on when you get to cover.
Old 12-29-2017, 04:00 AM   #131
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Teague View Post
Have no fear citizens of the Internets, I am here to save us all from the tyranny of unobviousness...
Old 12-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #132
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:

Amen mine has and will continue to serve me well.Hides under a jacket also.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:16 PM   #133
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
Nobodies talking about full sized rifles though, I'm talking about what I call "carbines" and what most people more accurately would call a PDW these days. Any PDW sized firearm needs to be taken down, folded up or otherwise be made more compact in order to fit into a backpack. Plenty of designs in many calibers exist though lucky for us.

Its good you are confident in what you're carrying and that it also feels comfortable for you to carry.
The 9mm ammo isn't really any lighter than some intermediate rifle rounds though. For example a 124 gr 9mm round is heavier than most 5.56 loadings. So you can already carry the same load out but more terminally effective at around the same size, weight and cost.
And even if you did have heavier ammo why do you need 200 rounds of it ? You said you weren't fighting Russians right ? Just carry a little less to make up for a weight difference. Or get stronger.
Same thing with the ears, you can carry anything from cheap plugs to sonic plugs and everything in between. If the Russians show up who gives a crap about a little less noise and muzzle blast, there's fucking Russians in them trees over there trying to kill us man. Put them on when you get to cover.
When and if they show up,could be moslems,chinese who knows. I know one thing 2/3 of the country will submit like a sheep in a slaughter house,guaranteed.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2017, 05:29 PM   #134
John A.
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178172

Saw where the Ruger PC9's were going on pre-order for $519. If anyone is interested.

I expect they'll be shipping by/around shotshow timeframe.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:15 AM   #135
ForTheCorps

AKaholic #: 187239

Can't really call it a carbine, but I picked up this FX-9 for a cheap range toy and I really like it. Its light, accurate and uses glock mags. Its amazingly quiet with subsonic ammo. I added the Holosun510C, Hogue grip and sling.

I see plenty of utility in this thing at close range. I shot it at an indoor range yesterday (20 yds) and it's an attention whore.

ForTheCorps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 07:15 PM   #136
Thunderhorse
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 172770

That Ruger looks pretty cool; I don't have a Glock, but the availability of Glock mags (especially 33 rounders) makes that a definite plus.

Probably have to see ti in person to know whether I could like the sights or not though.

ETA: Actually I have an Aimpoint Micro H-1 laying around so I don't really care if I like the sights

Last edited by Thunderhorse; 12-31-2017 at 05:43 AM.
Thunderhorse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #137
Bubbajj
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4250

Quote:
You seem to be forgetting elementary physics . .

Even if the 147 grains don't penetrate, it's still gonna leave a mark.

OH WAIT! Your 9mm carbine uses 32 round mags?

WHAT? Shoot until the target is neutralized?

Some of you guys get so twisted over penetration and forget all about blunt force trauma . .

Didn't read much ( if any ) of this thread, eh?
read enough.

The AK47 is a cheap POS designed to be assembled in third world shitholes by a labor force composed of knuckle dragging, booger eating morons. It was then to be handed out to an army of uneducated peasant retards who couldn't find their own ass with both hands and a map. Thats the true genius of the design and why it remains ubiquitous to this day.

Gotmine on Barrack Obama: "He is, indeed, a bugger of the third magnitude."
Bubbajj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 10:46 PM   #138
Martensite
Totally Phased

AKaholic #: 188470

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForTheCorps View Post
Can't really call it a carbine, but I picked up this FX-9 for a cheap range toy and I really like it. Its light, accurate and uses glock mags. Its amazingly quiet with subsonic ammo. I added the Holosun510C, Hogue grip and sling.

I see plenty of utility in this thing at close range. I shot it at an indoor range yesterday (20 yds) and it's an attention whore.

Actually the Freedom Ordnance FX-9 is considered a carbine. Good looking one IMHO too.
Martensite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 11:25 PM   #139
slcpunk74
censored

AKaholic #: 173589

Well I really like mine(kind of a carbine). All but the damn strike industries flat wire spring fitting so tight on the cmmg buffer that it got stuck and wouldn't extend. No problem because I just swapped it out for my cmmg spring and it ran like a top.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:42 PM   #140
David Teague
Droll Moderator

Quote:
Actually the Freedom Ordnance FX-9 is considered a carbine. Good looking one IMHO too.
Not in that pistol configuration with brace.