Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > General Rifle Discussion

Notices

Old 03-12-2018, 09:48 PM   #1
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 175207
Default Why shouldn't I buy a Tavor 7?

Now, I understand some don't like bullpups on principle. That is fine. I personally hate the AUG. Besides the nasty trigger, I am also left handed, and switching one to left hand configuration is more work than I am willing to do for someone elses rifle. Lol

That being said, I am looking for a 7.62 Nato rifle to use as a "battle rifle" of sorts. Being left handed, the Tavor 7 is extremely appealing. Plus, the adjustable gas system seems like it would lend itself well to suppression. At a price point of what looks to be $1700 to $1900, it seems like a pretty good buy.

So why shouldn't I buy one?
MattyZ28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:02 PM   #2
mscard02

AKaholic #: 167866

I own a Tavor SAR after months of rentals and research of every bullpup i could get my hands on. The Tavor was hands down my favorite. After 2 years of ownership and thousands of rounds, i have never had a single jam malfunction. The only complaint i have is the trigger, it is absolutely terrible stock. I feel that the geissele trigger is almost a must. At $350, this doesnt come cheap, especially when you consider it is already $1700. With the geissele it is easily among my favorite rifles.
mscard02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:03 PM   #3
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mscard02 View Post
I own a Tavor SAR after months of rentals and research of every bullpup i could get my hands on. The Tavor was hands down my favorite. After 2 years of ownership and thousands of rounds, i have never had a single jam malfunction. The only complaint i have is the trigger, it is absolutely terrible stock. I feel that the geissele trigger is almost a must. At $350, this doesnt come cheap, especially when you consider it is already $1700. With the geissele it is easily among my favorite rifles.
I am curious to see if the trigger packs are the same between the two. If so, a Lightning Bow will be on my short list of parts to buy immediately.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:20 AM   #4
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

Don't ask, just get one. What the hell.

hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 12:47 AM   #5
RadScorpius
Twinkie

AKaholic #: 164660

Asking shouldn't is why shits never gets done.

I love my Tavors.

AK barrels hardness testing results.
RadScorpius is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 01:56 AM   #6
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Freakin get it then tell me how you like Matty so I can buy one lol.

In the review vids I have seen it seemed amazingly controllable for a 16" .308.
Old 03-13-2018, 01:58 AM   #7
dso970

AKaholic #: 178426

love my x95. a 308 bullpup by iwi would be hard to say no to. just wish 308 wasnt as expensive as it is these days.

id get one if i had the cash, but my cash is going to ammo to feed my other 308's (scar 17, ptr91, and fal)

f it op...its only money and youll make more
Old 03-13-2018, 02:34 AM   #8
paulb2112
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 173821
Default 7

Any word when they will be in stock?
paulb2112 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 02:59 AM   #9
PORTER
Been there done that.

AKaholic #: 184098

Love my Sar Tavor, it's one of my favorite rifles I own. Saying that I see no reason not to get the newest model as the Tavor has been rock solid platform.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 AM   #10
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulb2112 View Post
Any word when they will be in stock?
End of april is what I am seeing. Which is good because my poor white privelege ass is working 44 hours of overtime a week trying to save up. Haha
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 AM   #11
hoovdizzle

AKaholic #: 181475

+1 on the SAR love. Don’t know if that will translate into the 7 being any good, but I’ll be keeping my eyes open for the blue collar reviews in the next few months.

There’s also the MDR to consider

"Let the retards buy retarded rifles so at least they die faster if we go to war against retards" -Sabre5G
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:02 PM   #12
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

.308 bullpups are a cool idea on paper till you actually get behind one in the field.

Understanding that it’s a different breed, I got to shoot the .308 MDR at last years Bullpup shoot and it didn’t leave a good impression. It already had a balance issue then with that much “action” going on right next to your face, with the recoil of a .308 and then the sudden impulse of the action plus with that classic transfer bar trigger, it was hard to shoot accurately and get quick follow up shots.

I bet one could train and practice to accommodate the recoil and muzzle flip, I just remember walking away thinking how much my Vepr .308 and AR-10 were more controlable.

But hey variety is the spice of life so YMMV.
Mattylight30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #13
rstrobel
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167348

I want one, but the whole ".308 right next to your face" thing has me uneasy

I'll wait a year or so just to be sure
rstrobel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:53 PM   #14
RadScorpius
Twinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rstrobel View Post
I want one, but the whole ".308 right next to your face" thing has me uneasy

I'll wait a year or so just to be sure
Tavors are designed so that the firing pin does not come out far enough to hit a primer if they round is not fully in battery, they did not add a forward asssit for the same reason. You are safe.

Old 03-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #15
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattylight30 View Post
.308 bullpups are a cool idea on paper till you actually get behind one in the field.

Understanding that it’s a different breed, I got to shoot the .308 MDR at last years Bullpup shoot and it didn’t leave a good impression. It already had a balance issue then with that much “action” going on right next to your face, with the recoil of a .308 and then the sudden impulse of the action plus with that classic transfer bar trigger, it was hard to shoot accurately and get quick follow up shots.

I bet one could train and practice to accommodate the recoil and muzzle flip, I just remember walking away thinking how much my Vepr .308 and AR-10 were more controlable.

But hey variety is the spice of life so YMMV.
Hey, you very well may be right brother. Only one way to find out though!
Old 03-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #16
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Here is another hot topic. Which optic should I use on that thing? I am in love with a 6x48 ACOG with an MRO on top. Between that and an ELCAN Spectre DR, I have an idea of what I want. The question is, should I get something else?
Old 03-13-2018, 08:58 PM   #17
nofreetime
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 180281

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyZ28 View Post
Here is another hot topic. Which optic should I use on that thing? I am in love with a 6x48 ACOG with an MRO on top. Between that and an ELCAN Spectre DR, I have an idea of what I want. The question is, should I get something else?
What is your goal for the intended ranges of the rifle?

Do you want it to do better up close, far away, or a balance?

Do you want the percision of turrets or a hold over reticle?

You said elcan which is $$ but is that where your price range is?

Do you want military grade optic?

Is there a weight limit?

Will you be shooting in low light?
nofreetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 09:34 PM   #18
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofreetime View Post
What is your goal for the intended ranges of the rifle?

Do you want it to do better up close, far away, or a balance?

Do you want the percision of turrets or a hold over reticle?

You said elcan which is $$ but is that where your price range is?

Do you want military grade optic?

Is there a weight limit?

Will you be shooting in low light?
This rifle will be set up as a battle rifle. My primary goal is to have a solid go to 308 semi auto that I can trust. I want my optic to be the same, so high quality is my main concern. My budget is whatever it needs to be to attain this. As for when I will be using it, that answer is whenever I need it. I am also searching for a good set of gen 3 PVS-14's and a PEQ-15 to add a little more useability to the rifle at night. I was trained with these devices, and am fairly well versed in their use.

My range will be out to 800, but mainly 600 and in. The RMR will assist with anything too close for the ACOG. I miss my ELCAN Spectre that I had on my 240 during my time in. I am of the mindset that a good BDC reticle will work better for me with this type of use.

Weight is not much of a concern for me. I am a big guy. Lol
Old 03-13-2018, 09:45 PM   #19
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Quote:

That Elcan that is 1x, 3x, 9x looks awesome and seems like it would be a great fit. Not sure on price
Old 03-13-2018, 09:50 PM   #20
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
That Elcan that is 1x, 3x, 9x looks awesome and seems like it would be a great fit. Not sure on price
$3200 at the one place I looked. Lol, I am very familiar with the 1x, 4x. They also have a 1.5x, 6x. I am leaning more towards that 1.5x, 6x personally, but the 1x, 3x, 9x could be an option if I want to spend that much.

I am also planning or piecing together an M-14 EBR clone, so that 1x, 3x, 9x might have to find a home on there!
Old 03-13-2018, 10:00 PM   #21
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
This rifle will be set up as a battle rifle. My primary goal is to have a solid go to 308 semi auto that I can trust. I want my optic to be the same, so high quality is my main concern. My budget is whatever it needs to be to attain this. As for when I will be using it, that answer is whenever I need it. I am also searching for a good set of gen 3 PVS-14's and a PEQ-15 to add a little more useability to the rifle at night. I was trained with these devices, and am fairly well versed in their use.

My range will be out to 800, but mainly 600 and in. The RMR will assist with anything too close for the ACOG. I miss my ELCAN Spectre that I had on my 240 during my time in. I am of the mindset that a good BDC reticle will work better for me with this type of use.

Weight is not much of a concern for me. I am a big guy. Lol
Everybodies going the to 1-8 and 1-6x scopes due to their versatility. You don't need to spend more than about 1,000 ish to get one that will have clear glass, good durability and more than meet your needs unless if you want to. Exotic quality glass, higher light transmission and resolution, percision engineering, and craftsmanship are the reasons to spend more kinda like going from a Casio to a Rolex yet both work well.
Old 03-13-2018, 10:21 PM   #22
sPzAbt

AKaholic #: 169667

Because it is terrorist created? support for *them* is a support for ISIS and other terrorist organizations. al-Baghdadi is former Mossad. Sorry, I forgot, US troops die daily for the fake war on terror. Gotta remember to keep that lie to myself and not spread it amongst the others or moral will go down.
sPzAbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:42 PM   #23
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by sPzAbt View Post
Because it is terrorist created? support for *them* is a support for ISIS and other terrorist organizations. al-Baghdadi is former Mossad. Sorry, I forgot, US troops die daily for the fake war on terror. Gotta remember to keep that lie to myself and not spread it amongst the others or moral will go down.
Lol, you went from zero to blaming jews for world wide terrorism real fast there.
Old 03-14-2018, 12:06 AM   #24
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Wow this train's being derailed.

If you decide you're looking to spend elcan money I'd go for one of these LVP's when it comes it to LVP's these are the alpha scopes of the type.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...iflescope.html

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce...C-DM-C597.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/kahles-k16i-riflescopes.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Be...918-B7-B3.aspx add to cart for $660 off

https://www.eurooptic.com/68104-Swar...T-I-68104.aspx
Old 03-14-2018, 02:37 PM   #25
RadScorpius
Twinkie

Quote:
Lol, you went from zero to blaming jews for world wide terrorism real fast there.
Isn't it great that those f**kers always show up on threads about Israeli firearms?

Old 03-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Wow this train's being derailed.

If you decide you're looking to spend elcan money I'd go for one of these LVP's when it comes it to LVP's these are the alpha scopes of the type.

https://www.opticsplanet.com/leupold...iflescope.html

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nightforce...C-DM-C597.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/kahles-k16i-riflescopes.aspx

https://www.eurooptic.com/Schmidt-Be...918-B7-B3.aspx add to cart for $660 off

https://www.eurooptic.com/68104-Swar...T-I-68104.aspx
Those look awesome. I will have to take a look at them up close. I know each will have A+ quality, both glass and mechanically. Another option I have considered is an IOR Valdada wuth a 35mm tube.
Old 03-14-2018, 06:43 PM   #27
ralfabcos

AKaholic #: 173447

Quote:
Isn't that 6x48 on the heavy side. I have seen pics of AUS soldiers using that set-up, on the HK 417.
ralfabcos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2018, 08:05 PM   #28
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralfabcos View Post
Isn't that 6x48 on the heavy side. I have seen pics of AUS soldiers using that set-up, on the HK 417.
It is, but the ELCAN is a tank. Lol, I wouldn't mind the fixed power. With a red dot on top, I would feel pretty comfortable in quite a few scenarios from close to medium range. A few units I ran into had the 6x48 on their 240's. I used an ELCAN on mine, and loved it.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:22 PM   #29
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Okay. Now this might be a strong front runner.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:46 PM   #30
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:

Okay. Now this might be a strong front runner.
If you want a milspec optic the MK8 I sent you a link to holds a military contract. The scope is built like a tank. The Hours H27D reticle version of the MK8 has a single red dot on 1x very much like an Aimpoint the illumination technology used actually gets brighter than an Aimpoint on 1x. At 8x the scope has a Hours reticle with both wind and elevation holds which makes fast shots possible without dailing. There are turrets and they're very good ones for more percision. The turrets are both zero stop and locking to prevent accidental movement. The locking feature unlocks the turrets with two locking rings that pinch together anytime you grab the turret and locks them when you let go becuase of this it's a very good and simple design that causes the locking feature to automatically operate it self good for speed and simplicity. The scope adjusts it's magnification level fast since you rotate the entire eye peice giving more grab surface than a smaller power ring most scopes have also the entire power ring is knurled for grip. Schmidt & Bender is often regarded as the gold standard for the glass quality from owning both I can tell you the glass in the MK8 will go toe to toe with S&B in fact they are so close I can't tell which has better glass. The MK8 is 23oz the Elcan 1-3-9x is 30oz the MK8 also uses less rail space but it offers more features and versatility. If you're running NV keep in mind this is a bullpup rail space so will be limited and you'll need to IR illumination and an IR laser on as well. You haven't mentioned it but most run into rail space issues mounting a clip on a bullpup. Unless you have the raps on a full power PEQ15 I would get a DBAL D2 instead. The civi PEQ15's are neutered heavily and the larger illuminator of DBAL D2 does much better due to civi restrictions on the equipment or sell both kidneys and buy one of $3k optics you're wanting and a MAWL.

Old 03-16-2018, 11:34 PM   #31
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
If you want a milspec optic the MK8 I sent you a link to holds a military contract. The scope is built like a tank. The Hours H27D reticle version of the MK8 has a single red dot on 1x very much like an Aimpoint the illumination technology used actually gets brighter than an Aimpoint on 1x. At 8x the scope has a Hours reticle with both wind and elevation holds which makes fast shots possible without dailing. There are turrets and they're very good ones for more percision. The turrets are both zero stop and locking to prevent accidental movement. The locking feature unlocks the turrets with two locking rings that pinch together anytime you grab the turret and locks them when you let go becuase of this it's a very good and simple design that causes the locking feature to automatically operate it self good for speed and simplicity. The scope adjusts it's magnification level fast since you rotate the entire eye peice giving more grab surface than a smaller power ring most scopes have also the entire power ring is knurled for grip. Schmidt & Bender is often regarded as the gold standard for the glass quality from owning both I can tell you the glass in the MK8 will go toe to toe with S&B in fact they are so close I can't tell which has better glass. The MK8 is 23oz the Elcan 1-3-9x is 30oz the MK8 also uses less rail space but it offers more features and versatility. If you're running NV keep in mind this is a bullpup rail space so will be limited and you'll need to IR illumination and an IR laser on as well. You haven't mentioned it but most run into rail space issues mounting a clip on a bullpup. Unless you have the raps on a full power PEQ15 I would get a DBAL D2 instead. The civi PEQ15's are neutered heavily and the larger illuminator of DBAL D2 does much better due to civi restrictions on the equipment or sell both kidneys and buy one of $3k optics you're wanting and a MAWL.

You assume I still have both kidneys sir. I have it on good authority from a meme on facebook that one testicle is worth $35,000.00. I figure that should get me in the ball park. Lol

How forgiving is the eye box on the Mk8?
Old 03-17-2018, 12:50 AM   #32
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Quote:
You assume I still have both kidneys sir. I have it on good authority from a meme on facebook that one testicle is worth $35,000.00. I figure that should get me in the ball park. Lol

How forgiving is the eye box on the Mk8?
Class leading for an lpv.
Old 03-17-2018, 04:58 PM   #33
MattyZ28
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Class leading for an lpv.
That is good to know. I need to find one I can play with a bit to check it out.
Old 03-17-2018, 05:42 PM   #34
nofreetime
Veteran Member

Well here's a detailed and pretty straightforward review if you want to read it. Finding local retailers who stock optics like this can be difficult.

https://www.snipershide.com/bigjimfi...h-horus-h-27d/
Old 03-17-2018, 06:29 PM   #35
Esloof

AKaholic #: 178406

I am really torn between the tavor 7 and the mdr. If I go for the mdr, I would probably end up buying a 5.56 conversion kit for it since I think firearms that you can change calibers on the fly are going to be much more popular in the near future. I hope someone can do a good comparison between the tavor and the mdr when they're both out in the wild. If they're both flops then I'll probably go for an ar10.
Esloof is offline   Reply With Quote