Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
BerberBob

AKaholic #: 183928
Default help with venezuelan pk-a problem

Just picked this up off the market from a long time member with lots of positive feedback that said it was in good working order but they havnt been online since monday so ill ask you guys. Im hoping im just a dipsh*t that is missing something simple to fix the problem because I really like the scope and got a good deal on it. So the problem is that no matter how far to the left or right i turn the dials to try and zero the red dot the dot itself wont move from the bottom right corner. When looking through the scope mounted straight on you cannot see the dot at all because its so far down. if you take your cheek off the stock and look through the scope from off to the left the dot is clear as day. This seems to be a super simple scope but i dont want to start taking it apart if it can be helped. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a way to fix it? or is it broken beyond a simple fix? I cant seem to find anything online about this issue.

С ВЕРОМ У БОГА, СЛОБОДА ИЛИ СМРТ
BerberBob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
BerberBob

No one?

Old 05-19-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
dr.bandy

AKaholic #: 171337

Hey there, hopefully someone will come along to be more helpful to you than I can be. I just dropped in to say that I had something similar happen to a Venezuela a while back. It looked like it was in great working order and the thing didn't even last a full magazine before the dot did that on mine.

It doesn't seem like something that typically happens to them as most of the members that use them have had them mounted on rifles for years with no issues. Just thought I'd share my experience and give your thread a bit of a bump so maybe David Teague or maybe even TX-Zen can give you some advice.
dr.bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
BerberBob

Thanks. What ended up happening to yours? Im guessing the light that projects the dot got knocked out of place since all the lenses seem to be at the right angle/place.

Old 05-19-2017, 06:44 PM   #5
dr.bandy

AKaholic #: 171337

I'm thinking the recoil knocked the emitter loose in mine. Sounds like something similar happened in yours. Luckily, I'd bought mine new and the seller gave me a refund on it. I bought another one that I still have but really haven't used it much.
dr.bandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:01 PM   #6
BerberBob

The guy I got mine from here has been a member for years with lots of good feedback. It was packed so well that it for sure didnt happen during shipping. Im guessing it just wasnt checked befoee being sent since the battery that was in the scope was dead. Dont think he was trying to rip me off or anything. Hopefully once i get ahold of him he will refund my money if it is broken.

Old 05-20-2017, 05:35 PM   #7
MyGrassIsBlue05
Grey Man

AKaholic #: 47658

Apologies if you've already done this, but I would mount it and try to get the dot to cowitness the irons on the rifle. I believe the Venezuelan is low enough to do that with.

If on the rifle, and in perspective with the iron sights the dot doesn't move, then I would start to worry. Regardless, having it mounted and trying to align the dot with the irons is a good way to ensure your eyes just aren't playing tricks on you.
"We had badly underestimated the degree to which materialism had corrupted our fellow citizens, as well as the extent to which their feelings could be manipulated by the mass media. As long as the government is able to keep the economy somehow gasping and wheezing along, the people can be conditioned to accept any outrage." - Earl Turner
MyGrassIsBlue05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 05:47 PM   #8
BerberBob

Thanks for the suggestion. The scope does co witness but when its mounted and you have your cheek on the stock the dot cant be seen at all. Since the dials turn screws that move an inner tube to control the placement of the dot Im positive that as dr bandy suggested the emiter has been knocked out of place. Ive emailed kalinkaoptics to see if they have any soloutions since they sell the scope or if they know of somewhere to send it to get it fixed. Im guessing its going to come down to if the seller will let me return it or not since its broken otherwise i guess im out 300.00

Old 05-20-2017, 06:46 PM   #9
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

Dot scopes are notorious for failures. Cheap dots are going to fail sooner or later and most of the time it is sooner.

Russian optics are pretty much really cheap stuff.

Even modern USA famous company, made in the Philippines or other eastern hemisphere country DOT sights that sell for a couple of hundred dollars are cheap, unreliable dot optics.

There are only a few reliable, rugged, time tested high quality dot optics on the market and most of those are made by AIMPOINT.

There is also the possibility that you don't know what you are looking at. Dot position is relative to eye position, I've never seen a dot, or any other reticle, MOVE when I adjusted the turrets.

Its really hard to tell from your photos, but your lower picture looks normal enough to me.

Last edited by VALMET_M76; 05-20-2017 at 06:54 PM.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:00 PM   #10
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

So I went and got out a dot sight mounted firearm.

Like I said, the dot position is relative to how you hold the weapon and look through the sight. The dot can literally be anywhere within the sight.

Your job is to get the dot into the center of the field of view and then put the dot on the target.

Its weird, but using a dot takes a little learning.
VALMET_M76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:14 AM   #11
MyGrassIsBlue05
Grey Man

AKaholic #: 47658

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerberBob View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. The scope does co witness but when its mounted and you have your cheek on the stock the dot cant be seen at all. Since the dials turn screws that move an inner tube to control the placement of the dot Im positive that as dr bandy suggested the emiter has been knocked out of place. Ive emailed kalinkaoptics to see if they have any soloutions since they sell the scope or if they know of somewhere to send it to get it fixed. Im guessing its going to come down to if the seller will let me return it or not since its broken otherwise i guess im out 300.00
I think I'm reading your summary correctly..I think..

I think what you should do is mount the optic, align your iron sights (as if you were shooting with them), and move the red dot over on top of the front sight post when the front and rear iron sights are aligned.
Then you need to go shoot it and see if it holds. Of course after making sure the mounting clamp is tight on the receiver mount.

On my several red dots, Russian or Aimpoint, once I move my cheek off the stock and quit trying to align the dot with the irons, the dot moves.
That's just the nature of these optics, and the dot does not need to stay in constant alignment with the iron sights to be on target.
"We had badly underestimated the degree to which materialism had corrupted our fellow citizens, as well as the extent to which their feelings could be manipulated by the mass media. As long as the government is able to keep the economy somehow gasping and wheezing along, the people can be conditioned to accept any outrage." - Earl Turner
MyGrassIsBlue05 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 12:39 PM   #12
BerberBob

Thanks guys I understand that. This isant my first red dot, just my first russian scope. The problem is i cannot zero the red dot to begin with. The dot is so far off allignment that its not possible at any angle to allign to dot with the sights to zero it.

Old 05-21-2017, 03:56 PM   #13
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALMET_M76 View Post
Russian optics are pretty much really cheap stuff.
So much fail. You have no idea what you are talking about

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:01 PM   #14
TX-Zen

AKaholic #: 161660

On my PKA it has an enormous range of travel for elevation and will come way way up but it takes a long time and many rotations.

Dumb question I know but are you sure you are turning it enough? Each full revolution doesn't move the dot much and it can look like it's not moving at all. I am not sure if you have maxed out the range of travel to get the dot to move up.

Try moving to another rifle if you can and see if the dot is more visible when looking down the sights. My PKA cowitnesses but the dot is almost too low to see when the irons are lined up.

http://RussianOptics.net
TX-Zen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 07:55 PM   #15
BerberBob

Ive tried it on my saiga and my wasr and it still wont come out of the right corner. Turning the dial all the way untill you cant anymore either way adjusts the dot and you can watch it move as you do it but it still wont move out of the lower corner. I just had my uncle and father try it also just in the off chance i have a brain tumor or something screwing it up but its fof sure the scope thats broken

Old 05-21-2017, 08:44 PM   #16
dhtexas

AKaholic #: 161409

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerberBob View Post
Ive tried it on my saiga and my wasr and it still wont come out of the right corner. Turning the dial all the way untill you cant anymore either way adjusts the dot and you can watch it move as you do it but it still wont move out of the lower corner. I just had my uncle and father try it also just in the off chance i have a brain tumor or something screwing it up but its fof sure the scope thats broken
Keep trying to contact the seller and ask for a refund. That's about all you can do.
dhtexas is online now   Reply With Quote