Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-19-2018, 09:37 PM   #36
Deplorable
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 189212

As a pool contractor, I have to vett my subs and cull the ones that are shady. I've gotten a pretty good list of subs, electricians, plumbers, etc, after surviving the shitty ones.

The main problem I have in my business is surviving criminal customers that don't want to pay the final draw and will come up with all kinds of excuses and reasons not to.

I could start my own thread about scumbag customers and show how half, one out of two, will try and fuck you out of your final draw once the project is complete and they have what they want. And the more money they have the bigger criminals some of them are.

I have come upon my finished pool filled with drunken guests where the owner is throwing a party showing off a pool he hasn't paid me for and the bastard climb out of the pool and run in the house leaving a trail of water, leaving his guests wondering what the hell is going on.

I have taken long respites from building high end projects, some that won national awards, just because I was burned out from dealing with the scumbag, thieving public.
Deplorable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #37
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

We are turning down work as trim and finish carpenters. Just finishing a 13,000 sq ft 4 story house and got a 6,700 sq ft to start in 2 weeks with 4 (2-2.5k ft) to wrap up in between. Just flatly told a guy with a 4,500 sq ft house that I just didn't see it happening. Other's in the area are swamped as well. And I know that lots of building schedules can be turned upside down by weather.

Still, no excuse for not being where I day I'll be tomorrow. That's just wrong...
rbox1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:39 PM   #38
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerrySexton View Post
I'm remodeling a house in Lexington KY for daughter and man oh man is it tough to get anyone to show up to do anything. Whether it's electrical work, HVAC, plumbing, roofing, you name it, it seems nobody wants to show up and do any work for me.

I found out yesterday that the water supply line from the meter to the house needs repaired or replaced. I got on Craigslist and found a plumber and emailed him. He said he'd like to take a look at it at 5:00 today. I say great I'll meet you then. I live a little over an hour away so after planning my day around meeting this guy I figured I'd better text when I leave to make sure he's going to be there. Well, no surprise. He wasn't going to be able to make it.

What am I doing or saying to turn these people off? I need an entire heat and air replacement and it's been like pulling teeth to get anyone to show up and quote it. I get lots of promises to call me back in a couple of days and then silence. No call no nothing.

Serious question for any contractors on here: Am I saying something wrong on the phone with these people to make them not want to do business with me???
What do you expect from a Craigslist plumber?

If you want quality find the contractor building homes in your area that meet the expectations that you are looking for. Ask that contractor who they use. Call them, expect to wait a month or two for them to get you on their schedule and pay what they are asking.

Otherwise it's a crapshoot.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #39
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplorable View Post
As a pool contractor, I have to vett my subs and cull the ones that are shady. I've gotten a pretty good list of subs, electricians, plumbers, etc, after surviving the shitty ones.

The main problem I have in my business is surviving criminal customers that don't want to pay the final draw and will come up with all kinds of excuses and reasons not to.

I could start my own thread about scumbag customers and show how half, one out of two, will try and fuck you out of your final draw once the project is complete and they have what they want. And the more money they have the bigger criminals some of them are.

I have come upon my finished pool filled with drunken guests where the owner is throwing a party showing off a pool he hasn't paid me for and the bastard climb out of the pool and run in the house leaving a trail of water, leaving his guests wondering what the hell is going on.

I have taken long respites from building high end projects, some that won national awards, just because I was burned out from dealing with the scumbag, thieving public.
+1
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #40
rbox1064
Rammer Jammer
Contributor

AKaholic #: 173428

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deplorable View Post

I could start my own thread about scumbag customers and show how half, one out of two, will try and fuck you out of your final draw once the project is complete and they have what they want. And the more money they have the bigger criminals some of them are. I have come upon my finished pool filled with drunken guests where the owner is throwing a party showing off a pool he hasn't paid me for and the bastard climb out of the pool and run in the house, leaving his guests wondering what the hell is going on.

2 sides to every story huh?

Had a guy call me 2 weeks ago and offer to let us do $4,500 worth of flooring for $1,500. Says the bank has frozen his loan pay out until final inspection and he had to sell his tractor to get the $1,500. His poor 63 year old uncle is laying that flooring and I'm wondering if my draw is still there as I put the 1/4 rnd and door locks on this weekend. Been 15 days since I had a day off and coincidentally his uncle finished the flooring today. He says today made 15 days laying it for $100 per day.
rbox1064 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:44 PM   #41
JerrySexton
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162417

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
What do you expect from a Craigslist plumber?

If you want quality find the contractor building homes in your area that meet the expectations that you are looking for. Ask that contractor who they use. Call them, expect to wait a month or two for them to get you on their schedule and pay what they are asking.

Otherwise it's a crapshoot.
Well, quite honestly, like doc and others in this thread, I've always done everything myself. This is truly the first time I've ever needed a plumber so I don't really have experience in finding one.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 09:49 PM   #42
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Well, quite honestly, like doc and others in this thread, I've always done everything myself. This is truly the first time I've ever needed a plumber so I don't really have experience in finding one.
Subs that are advertising themselves on Craigslist are bad enough that they aren't even tied in with the worst builders in town. You need to find the builder that does that kind of work you are looking for and ask him who they use. The good guys don't need to advertise, let alone put their info on Craigslist.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 PM   #43
hebie82
She wants the D...onuts
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 193869

Had that issue with our roof when my husband was making the calls. After he went into the hospital, I took it upon myself to get people out to give quotes. Apparently all that was needed was a woman’s desire to get shit done. Roof got done and it was to the satisfaction of my husband, who was adamant to climb up on the roof and check out the work after completion.
hebie82 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:03 PM   #44
hardwired

AKaholic #: 171191

Quote:
I'm remodeling a house in Lexington KY for daughter and man oh man is it tough to get anyone to show up to do anything.

I found out yesterday that the water supply line from the meter to the house needs repaired or replaced.
Maybe call the town water department and see if they will do it since it's the meter or a plumber that does the work for them.

Also having difficulty getting contractors to . Jobs I managed to get lined up in the spring and scheduled with deposits got delayed. Other jobs havent been able to get done because no bid, Or bid but can't get to me till next year.

One exhorbitant bid and one hack. Seal coating guys b her even called earlier in the year. A lot of the job contacts were auto responders from Home advisor and the like. I called and left messages and nothing.
hardwired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #45
Henry Stevens

AKaholic #: 195633

I don't know about KY. but here in California---in the mountains, we call that mountain mentality. By this it is meant that these guys will all tell you they are semi-retired. They work from behind a recording telephone and show up about half the time. Why? Because they really want to be retired full time. Why would a contractor ever work in a rural area or mountains? Because they don't really want to work. If they wanted to work they can make 20X more money in an urban center.

My 28 year old grandson is a contractor. He grew up in the mountains but he moved to Seattle because that is where the money is. When he plots out an estimate, he dials in $105.00 per hour for his time/company time. There are rich techno-donks there who will gladly pay this price. Talk about not working with their hands? They have a hard time opening a beer. My grandson works six days a week.
Henry Stevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 10:14 PM   #46
Deplorable
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 189212

The economy and construction is rocking right now and most all reputable contractors are covered up in work and weeks out before they can possibly take on anything else.

If you see someone trying to find work on Craigslist right now, unless you live in BFE, something is screwy.
Deplorable is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:41 PM   #47
Volvosteel

AKaholic #: 166021

I work in the Appliance repair industry, pretty much just do all warranty work for the big manufactures, Really dont need the side work, so when someone calls for side work and asks for our price and how fast we can be there we tell them the going rate for labor and it will be a few days, typically we get a response of "Well i guess you don't need my business" then i promptly respond with "NO i do not NEED your business, But i want it". The warranty companies would love for me to work more as well, I am not going to, done working myself into the ground, got me no where but taxed to hell. Now i just run 5-6 calls a day for 3-4 days a week. The rest of the time i just stare off into space!
Volvosteel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2018, 11:51 PM   #48
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939

"And trades aren't drying up so don't hold your breath, you are the needy, not the contractor. "

1. Wait until the Mexicans take over the contracting business. They already do the work, they just need more capital to move up the chain.

2. If there's that much demand, shouldn't all contractors be driving $80K trucks & everyone else rushing into the field ? Supply & demand. Why is there a shortage ?
bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 01:17 AM   #49
mojoracing

AKaholic #: 196374

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
You only piss people off if you do bad work or don't stick to your quote, not calling back potential customers or being too busy to look at other work happens.

And trades aren't drying up so don't hold your breath, you are the needy, not the contractor.
Its called being a PROFESSIONAL. A call back to say that you are too busy or perhaps a recommendation to another business would be the way to handle it. We are the needy?? Yep and your the first ones to complain when things slow down or someone hires a non union contractor. So the fat ass fucks can sit out front drinking coffee next to their fat inflatable rat. Pure arrogance.

I find its the same in Florida and up north at my other place. Can't find anyone to show up let alone do work. Call and call, no response. Ive had guys that I gave the go ahead to and just dont show up. I did have one guy come out and do some work. He finished, did a nice job and wanted to pay him on the spot. He said he would get the bill together and get back with me. No phone call, didnt answer his phone, nothing. Tried and tried to get hold of him to pay him and its like they disappeared. Makes no sense. I need right now, an electrician, a roofing guy to replace some flashing around a chimney, and a carpenter. Cant get anyone to do the work. The one guy I did find was a masonry company that came out and did a paver driveway and walkway for me. Showed up on time and job done in a few days at the price I was quoted. Guess what? First generation guy from south america. He and his crew worked their ass off. Rant over. In reality, I dont need the contractors. I can do it all myself but would rather spend my time doing things I enjoy. These guys piss me off so bad that Im going to just do the work myself and keep my money. Fuck em. What they NEED is our money and they wont be getting mine if that is the attitude they take. There will always be good, fair and honest contractors and to those guys, god bless. Its the other arrogant half ass schlocks that give the rest a bad name. Wait till the next down turn and lets see who is needy and arrogant then. I know it wont be me.
mojoracing is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 07:48 AM   #50
hardwired

AKaholic #: 171191

The wife was trying to help me out earlier in the year with gutter cleaning, and called back the same outfit she had clean them the previous year. It was a father and son team that time. I recall the wife calling me saying they found some flashing that needed to be sealed and wanted a few dollars more to fix that. Had the roof done a couple years back and was questioning as I knew the guy that did the work but had them go ahead as I wasn't there and was short money.

This time I'm home and just the son and some other young guy shows up. Ask to confirm the price expecting it to be the same as last year. Says he needs to go around and check the gutters before giving me a price. I question it, just gutters and haven't added any lol.
I have to run back in the house for a minute, then come back out and ask what the price is. Says there's some shingles lifted up and he can fix them and clean the gutters for $500.

I'm like huh? That's huge money, I've never paid more than x for cleaning gutters. He says he's pretty sure that's what we charged the previous time out. I say no it's not and show me the shingles that need to be fixed, the roof is practically new. Shows me a ridge cap piece that's not perfectly flat and it's been that way - starting to see the modus operandi here, there will always be something wrong with your roof to justify an extra charge.

I tell him forget about it. How much for just the gutters? Says 450 I don't get on a ladder for less than 300. You got on a ladder last year for less than 300. Forget about it I can get on the ladder for zero. Kid was all flustered. Not as good a scammer as the father. Really think he was trying to gouge me and pocket the difference unbeknown to the faszha.
hardwired is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:33 AM   #51
ol okie
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171009

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAIGA 5.45 View Post
More people need work done than contractors, it's simple as that. You can be picky and choosy when there is an abundance of business.
This is it in a nutshell.
Old 08-20-2018, 08:55 AM   #52
History
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 163408

Tree fell on my storage buildings last oct. The manufacturer doesn't make the parts for the building anymore but they do have the same metal. I'm adamant about the metal matching as it's the building where you enter and I don't want it looking like shit (like it has since oct). I'm going to order the metal and have it bent (make the parts).

I spoke with the contractor who built it it about the repair, they cam straight out and helped place a tarp on it which was done half assess and I told them that day it would not stay with any wind at all. The had fire wood tied to the ends of rope as weight. I'm just lucky they didn't turn into flails. The brother I had worked with before has retired and his younger playboy brother is in charge now. We have to go through an authorized butler dealer to get the metal (so it will match) so it's been phone tag between the three of us.

Long story shorter,,,,, this guy finally just two weeks ago writes the estimate, his letter hand written by his secretary with

Parts,,, $$$$$$$

Labor,,, $$$$$$$

Sub total,, $$$$$$

Work to be completed as a cost plus 20% contract

Total contract price $$$$$$$$

Nothing is itemized it's just as I typed it.
He says " oh I forgot the doors so we need to add that". I tell the adjuster and he says "ok, tell him to say what that cost is and what his total cost will be. I call, he doesn't answer. I hang up and text him 5 times, no reply. When I call back he says he didnt get my text. He says" we may need this many doors and it'll cost this amount, you can write it down as easy as I can. "What about the tree do we need to put that on the estimate?" I say no, I've already taken care of that. This guy wants me to do all the leg work and him get paid for it.

I'll admit it's my fault I let the drag out this long. It's a small community where we're at and I e tried to hold back and have. At this point I've been waaayyyy tooooo nice and I'm pretty sure he's a liar. I've about decided to do tha job myself. He's just too damn sure of himself.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:06 AM   #53
glockgangsta
Time Out to grow up

AKaholic #: 6532

Mos hilrous shw evr ctch a contatr
U wil pis u slf lafng
glockgangsta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:53 AM   #54
History
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 163408

Quote:
Originally Posted by glockgangsta View Post
Mos hilrous shw evr ctch a contatr
U wil pis u slf lafng
Is that like to catch a predator? That was an awesome show.
Old 08-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #55
def90
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguns44 View Post
"And trades aren't drying up so don't hold your breath, you are the needy, not the contractor. "

1. Wait until the Mexicans take over the contracting business. They already do the work, they just need more capital to move up the chain.

2. If there's that much demand, shouldn't all contractors be driving $80K trucks & everyone else rushing into the field ? Supply & demand. Why is there a shortage ?
People aren't driving $80k trucks because many of the sub-contractors out there are too busy low balling each other to get the work and driving themselves in to the ground. a lot of the work out there is in tract homes, there is no money in tract home construction for anyone but the developer. There is also no money in one off day jobs/service calls. It's a race to the bottom for many of them which is fine to me, I'm not chasing the kind of business these guys are going for and I just don't have the time for small service calls or one off day jobs. I have solid builders that use me on every job because I get the job done and I get it done right. I'm not the cheapest guy out there and I don't want to be.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:10 AM   #56
HAL-9000
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 157339

We just had our master BR redone. The guys who stripped it down were always on time, The tile guy was always on time and did his work. The girl painter was always on time. Everyone else showed up whenever they wanted, they were on their time. Especially the plumber, never knew when he was going to show up then he would just disappear without telling anyone. This job that should have only taken 2 weeks took them 8 weeks and we are still waiting for the shower enclosure to be installed. Hell if we worked that way in the OR everyone would die.
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:14 AM   #57
timhogan427
I am the one who knocks!

AKaholic #: 178465

Today the streets are lined with too many sidewalk sissies. Everyone has city hands. Not many "fixit" people anymore. Nobody wants to get their manicured gay hands dirty. Contractors are either drunks or junkies, and very few are reputable. The reputable ones are so damn busy, it seems as if they don't care. They do care, they are just so swamped. Your fucked either way. Do it yourself
timhogan427 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #58
AVL_AK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179324

I do remodeling, my customers are nearly all referrals or people I have done work for before. They understand it might be a year before I can get to their job and they wait. I had one wait 2 years before. I also have slipped in small or emergency jobs on weekends. I don't like to and don't do it often. That's why my customers are very loyal and call me for anything they need done. I have seen many "carpenters" that did shitty work or cut corners with sub-standard materials because they bid too low.
“Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right.” -
George Orwell, 1984

“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers" Thomas Jefferson
AVL_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #59
ohlongarm
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
I'm remodeling a house in Lexington KY for daughter and man oh man is it tough to get anyone to show up to do anything. Whether it's electrical work, HVAC, plumbing, roofing, you name it, it seems nobody wants to show up and do any work for me.

I found out yesterday that the water supply line from the meter to the house needs repaired or replaced. I got on Craigslist and found a plumber and emailed him. He said he'd like to take a look at it at 5:00 today. I say great I'll meet you then. I live a little over an hour away so after planning my day around meeting this guy I figured I'd better text when I leave to make sure he's going to be there. Well, no surprise. He wasn't going to be able to make it.

What am I doing or saying to turn these people off? I need an entire heat and air replacement and it's been like pulling teeth to get anyone to show up and quote it. I get lots of promises to call me back in a couple of days and then silence. No call no nothing.

Serious question for any contractors on here: Am I saying something wrong on the phone with these people to make them not want to do business with me???
Most,not all but a good % are dirtbags and enjoy giving it to the public dry,they charge according to what cars you drive and the looks of your house.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 06:21 PM   #60
Lane_H
TSSSICCAR

AKaholic #: 182543

with the economy being in a current upswing the housing/new construction market is booming in most areas.

*most general & sub contractors can make More & Quicker money by jumping into a new construction residential project vs a remodeling job,
especially where as on a remodel they will have to do demo or workaround existing bullshit/problems with electrical or plumbing that is out of code.

I've invested in a couple of Flips in the last decade with a few friends/business partners where as I added to the total investment with buying new windows/doors &/or with sweat equity/labor & end result when the house sells I get my investment +equal percentage of the flip's Gross profit..
Anyways- recently one guy i've partnered on a few flips said to me- "Right now in the current market I would trade my law degree for a journeyman electrician card in a heart beat"
-basically, a licensed electrician can right his own paycheck right now with the new home construction market being so strong.
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=20
AL Kalash Group Thread^
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 08:48 PM   #61
boomerdog
Coming 'round the mountain

AKaholic #: 76368

I'm a small-time contractor, only do remodels. I have never advertised, rely solely on repeats and word of mouth... I stay booked for at least six months at a time.

We're out there jerry, ask around. Friends and neighbors are the best reference, forget the inter-webz.
Old 08-20-2018, 09:02 PM   #62
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

I’m an electrical contractor with a master electricians license. I avoid residential work like the fvckin plague! Unless it’s a referral from a personal friend, then maybe. If I’m not slammed. Why do I avoid residential and stick to commercial only? Because there’s no money in it, it’s a royal pain in my ass and I have 4 guys that work for me I’m paying $14.75 an hour. When you mess with residential you’re going to get all these “it’s an emergency!” calls. Ok, well get ready to pay an emergency price because it’s my time I could be home or you want me to come do shit on a Saturday morning and then bitch about my quote or the bill. I’m high as hell because I can be and you won’t have to call me back weeks or months from now to re-fix shit because I did it right the first time. No I don’t want you standing over me breathing down my neck saying “shouldn’t you run the wire like this instead?”. No! Get the hell away from me before I throat punch you! I’m certified by the state and went to school for what I’m doing, you called me, remember?

Then you have to chase your money all over the world when messing with residential. F you, no I don’t do payments. No you can’t pay me next month, that bill I gave you goes to collection after 31 Days so don’t call my cell phone cussing me out because “I’m ruining your credit”. F all you residential people. I work for businesses who are going to pay me come hell or high water, I even do a lot of side work for a real estate woman who wants me to bring houses up to code so she can flip them and she pays me in cash. She doesn’t breathe down my neck, she hands me a folder of what needs to be done. I do it. I get paid. No chasing her ass around, no “I changed my mind can you do this instead” on the 3rd day if a 4 day job and then expect me not to bill you for that work.

I’ve been so busy the past 2 years I’m turning business away.
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #63
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

This has been going on for awhile and is a consequence of the economy picking up in several places. They are looking for fat commercial projects or dumb asses from the city who don't know any better re how much stuff should cost and don't question pricing.

Yay for contractors
Old 08-20-2018, 09:17 PM   #64
RobertFootball

AKaholic #: 193636

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev06 View Post
This has been going on for awhile and is a consequence of the economy picking up in several places. They are looking for fat commercial projects or dumb asses from the city who don't know any better re how much stuff should cost and don't question pricing.

Yay for contractors
I always bid outrageously high whenever asked to submit a government contract estimate. They always pick the middle bid and I don’t have to deal with the headaches of working for the man.
RobertFootball is online now   Reply With Quote