Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 08-12-2018, 08:35 PM   #1
sKott

AKaholic #: 6964
Default Ole Miss Bound

Today I dropped my son off to start his next adventure at Ole Miss.
He worked his butt off to get the grades and ACT scores in order to qualify for the merit scholarships they offer. Im proud to see his hard work pay off.

He wants to major in chemical engineering with a minor in manufacturing through their CME program. Once he graduates his dream job would be to work for a prosthetics company making better product for injured soldiers.

It was difficult to drive off but I know hell do great.

sKott
sKott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #2
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKott View Post

sKott
With what you described, I think he will be fine. Good job raising him.

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:51 PM   #3
subcpo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 195602

Roll Tide!
Lol Congrats!
I have two girls at Bama and Ole Miss is our Achilles Heel every year
Old 08-12-2018, 08:53 PM   #4
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

Congratulations to your son for doing the work and getting the grades.

Congratulations to you for helping him follow his dream and supporting him through it.

He'll do good.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:05 PM   #5
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE

AKaholic #: 159432

Congrats to you and your son.

Chem. E is a tough Major, but he'll do fine.

I knew some guys who were Chem. E majors from Cal Tech. They were among the sharpest cookies I ever met.

They worked at the Mushroom Factory ( Lawrence Livermore Laboratory )

-

PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons

GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:11 PM   #6
chillypepper
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176015

I love the stories about that kids that make things happen. Instead of just expect stuff to happen for them. let him know that there are folks out there that are wishing well for him.

I just spent a good part of my yesterday going over a honda something or other. Gal that has it works the grocery store. She started there at 15, after school and weekends. her hop head dad and his girlfriend couldn't get a lick of work cause people know stuff in small towns.

15 year old girl pulling down straight A's at a private school is supporting the household. now she's graduated. squirreled a few pennies away and is heading off to college in a week. Asked me to take a look at her car to see if anything is potentially wrong with it.

for a kid like that. Hell yeah I can take a look. An oil change and top off the radiator. Big deal. break pads are good. The tires, she's going to have to deal with those before the years up. They are on the downhill side of good. But not so far gone as to be crap yet.

Was about 8 ozs low on 134a so I took care of that.

Fairly new walmart battery. Trans and everything else seems solid enough.

she asked me what she owes...

I told her to go to school, get good grades and learn lots. Go be somebody that ends up important for whatever reasons so that I can be some old man at the VA hospital in a wheel chair pointing at the tv news saying "i used to work on her car way back" And the nurse will say yes sir, i'm sure you did. all the while im drooling on my self and whatever else it is old dudes do.

Sometimes just lending a little hand works in ways we can never predict.
Old 08-12-2018, 09:15 PM   #7
JerrySexton
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162417

Awesome. It's good to see kids with a vision putting in a good effort to make it real.

My daughter starts at the University of Kentucky in ten days. She'll be commuting for the first few weeks until we can finish renovating the home we bought for her in Lexington. Her goal is medicine.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:20 PM   #8
JerrySexton
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 162417

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post
I love the stories about that kids that make things happen. Instead of just expect stuff to happen for them. let him know that there are folks out there that are wishing well for him.

I just spent a good part of my yesterday going over a honda something or other. Gal that has it works the grocery store. She started there at 15, after school and weekends. her hop head dad and his girlfriend couldn't get a lick of work cause people know stuff in small towns.

15 year old girl pulling down straight A's at a private school is supporting the household. now she's graduated. squirreled a few pennies away and is heading off to college in a week. Asked me to take a look at her car to see if anything is potentially wrong with it.

for a kid like that. Hell yeah I can take a look. An oil change and top off the radiator. Big deal. break pads are good. The tires, she's going to have to deal with those before the years up. They are on the downhill side of good. But not so far gone as to be crap yet.

I told her to go to school, get good grades and learn lots. Go be somebody that ends up important for whatever reasons so that I can be some old man at the VA hospital in a wheel chair pointing at the tv news saying "i used to work on her car way back" And the nurse will say yes sir, i'm sure you did. all the while im drooling on my self and whatever else it is old dudes do.

Good on you for doing that Chilly.
JerrySexton is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:23 PM   #9
SixFive
FUCT
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 193685

Both of my nephew's go to Ole Miss, very underrated college.
SixFive is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:36 PM   #10
shajopma
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 171347

Congratulations sir, best to your son.

My boy is only 9 but loves math and NC State, sure as shit hope he ends up staying in state lol.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:15 AM   #11
ARHillbilly

AKaholic #: 171108

Congratulations. Just moved my baby girl to Mississippi state last week.
Your son has chosen a worthy profession.
ARHillbilly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:28 AM   #12
History
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 163408

Congrats to op, nice on helping the girl also.

Shajopma,,,,,

If your son likes math become aware (if you're not) of the school of science and math in Durham. It's for juniors and seniors in high school. Kids who go there are sought after by all colleges. Now it is a super liberal shit hole but if a kid wants to learn, it's the place to be. I was more impressed with it than some colleges I've been to. My son chose the online program instead of living on campus. Look into it because it is a math nerds wet dream. It won't be if, or maybe he gets into state. Go Pack!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2018, 08:45 AM   #13
dethangel
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 31932

Get em some Col. Reb shirts to wear.
dethangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:30 AM   #14
Kazzbomb9
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 168541

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillypepper View Post

Good on you Chilly!
Old 08-13-2018, 10:48 AM   #15
CHMA

AKaholic #: 186769

My grandson starts his Sophomore year at Ole Miss this week. His daddy graduated

from Ole Miss with a Pharmacy degree
CHMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:51 AM   #16
Rev06
Titanium Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 185972

Frickin outstanding Skott! He will have a great time and that is a fantastic degree. Congrats
Old 08-13-2018, 12:27 PM   #17
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

My brother is going to Harvard right now, he graduated from UT of Knoxville back in their glory days with Peyton Manning.

Eli Manning went to Ole Miss. it’s one of the classics. Nice. Shit if I wasn’t married I’d be at a university living the life and getting hot college chicks every night

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///

Russia will succeed only to the degree that Russia is able to achieve Russia. Russia is the goal. Quincy Jackson
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 10:08 PM   #18
rudyod
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156764

Quote:
Originally Posted by sKott View Post
Today I dropped my son off to start his next adventure at Ole Miss.
He worked his butt off to get the grades and ACT scores in order to qualify for the merit scholarships they offer. Im proud to see his hard work pay off.

He wants to major in chemical engineering with a minor in manufacturing through their CME program. Once he graduates his dream job would be to work for a prosthetics company making better product for injured soldiers.

sKott
Congrats sKott!!! My son has a chem E degree from Okie State. Works in the oil/gas industry in Tulsa and makes a good living.

Bigfootscousin
rudyod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:52 AM   #19
sKott

AKaholic #: 6964

Thanks everybody.
We are real proud of him.

sKott
sKott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 06:21 AM   #20
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

good to hear sKott, just make sure your son doesn't get indoctrinated by the progressive leftists that defacto own universities these days, even in the ones in the south.
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me

i'm a anti-zionist: http://www.antizionism.org
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:41 AM   #21
SpringerXD
One of our finest posters!

AKaholic #: 188218

Quote:
Originally Posted by subcpo View Post
Roll Tide!
I'll second that.

Bama born and Bama bred.
When I die I'll be Bama dead.
Old 08-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #22
madmanmccoy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 115894

Congrats you have a Good Kid there OP.......that is a noble goal that he has.....
Back in the 80s I used to help a buddy out now & again when the prosthetic shop in back of his bosses biz [certified prosthetist/ orthotist] would get behind......&we weren't busy {I wasn't out driving or building any fuel terminals}
I could buff,edge & polish some of the "plastic "parts, use the tools to bend the steel rods/bars on some of the prosthetics to conform to the patients legs,
He had a double amputee to build a set of "legs" for , who hadn't walked since a VC bobby trap mine blew his legs to bits,back in the 60s
We built a pair with the very latest carbon "Feet" pneumatic shock absorbing "Knee" joints & customk fit [they all are] the 'socket' his stumps go into.....
The big day came & the Veteran had his little Boy who he'd never been able to run& play ball with , ever,
The CPO& his Partner had the guy in the exam room for a while & then he came outback ,& we all went outside , they had put on the new legs inside & wheeled his chair outside
Where he proceeded to stand up take a few tentative ,cautious steps , tested the "springy" nature of those new carbon feet ,.....then ran a couple laps around the little grassy yard in back
his little boy ran with him & there was not ONE dry eye in that crowd including me......that was a GOOD day
And Do NO Wrong:
Protect the Helpless Tho It Leads to your Death
madmanmccoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #23
raverill

AKaholic #: 170134

My alma matter, graduated with a mechanical engineering degree. Spent plenty of time in Anderson hall, there are some great professors in there. I’m a little bias but it’s probably one of the most beautiful campuses in the country. Glad he is studying, math, physics, and chemistry, best thing about an engineering degree is there is no indoctrination of political beliefs. I know you’re proud of him, congrats!
raverill is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 12:34 AM   #24
jwalker

AKaholic #: 194118

Congrats to you and your boy, and hoping your son does well in whatever he does. My sister and her husband went to UM, but they are MSU fans. My other brother in law went to UM, and he is Hotty Toddy through and through. My wife, myself, and our boy, and his wife all went to USM, GO EAGLES.
jwalker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:24 PM   #25
SpringerXD
One of our finest posters!

AKaholic #: 188218

Quote:
Originally Posted by raverill View Post
Im a little bias but its probably one of the most beautiful campuses in the country.
Yeah, that part of Mississippi is gorgeous, especially in the Summer and Fall.