Notices

Old 11-22-2015, 09:14 PM   #36
Pvt.Joker
Larger than life and twice as ugly

AKaholic #: 8956

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtb View Post

You never know when you'll need them again
Out of all that pile, the ONE piece I *really* need is the front sling mount piece that has the round ring (sitting underneath the top cover latch) instead of the hoop one that my TIGR came with. I don't suppose you would consider selling it?

In the end, those who felt the "need" to make better choices for the rest of us should be told that they have a choice between going to the gallows, or being fed chocolate cake. But WE get to "make the BETTER choice" for THEM for once.

Liberalism: Dedicated to promoting the "freedom" to blindly OBEY THEM since Karl Marx!
Pvt.Joker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 03:10 PM   #37
BAC
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 180204

Ignore the haters, this is amazing. I'm in 100% agreement that this is a working rifle first and we should never ignore opportunities to provide material improvements when possible.

While we're on the subject, how much of your work might apply to a Romanian PSL or standard AKM? I'd love for the chance to float an AKM barrel to see what the rifle is really capable of when a handguard is taken off of the barrel. If you wanted to expand into the US market, targeting the PSL (or ideally standard AKMs) would be the best way to do it since they are undoubtedly more numerous than SVDs.
BAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 10:29 PM   #38
savagebrother

AKaholic #: 162509

Yes maybe the Russians signed an agreement not to sell SVD's here, you guys didn't
Let's get some here just like yours. Would love to do some long range work with your rifle next to some AR10's!!!
SB
savagebrother is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:15 AM   #39
silvermane_1
((the wagons))anti-troll brigade CO

AKaholic #: 170966

interesting looking SVD vtb, i wonder if you could do something similar to a PSL or any other Warsaw Pact DMR rifle, vtb?
...times are gone for honest men and sometimes far to long for snakes... -Chris Cornell
Happiness is a road, lined with the bones of those whom sold out America, for personal gain/profit. -Me
"Sic semper nova orbis terrae ordinatio collectarius"-Me
silvermane_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 08:56 AM   #40
timkel

AKaholic #: 153

Oh the horror...the horror

timkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 04:42 PM   #41
vtb

AKaholic #: 183051

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvermane_1 View Post
interesting looking SVD vtb, i wonder if you could do something similar to a PSL or any other Warsaw Pact DMR rifle, vtb?
Hello.

Regarding all long-stroke piston systems (AK/PSL) due long piston and (as one can imagine) long bolt carrier there is a problem - to make it possible to dissasemble the rifle you shold either make high rail or short rail.

So the first issue to solve would be
A. Convert long-stroke piston system to a short-stroke piston system
Or
B. Leave long-stroke piston but make it possible to unscrew the piston from the carrier while carrier is still inside the reciever. (Look at PWS long stroke ARs)

So if it's possible to make a free floated AK with low sitting rail? Yes.
Should it be done to AK system where there are already billion of alternatives - honestly idk.
I mean if someone whish to pay for it - we do have ideas but i doubt the the project would be a commercial success.

We took SVD as a base since it's possible to make 1MOA system with factory ammo relatively easy. Basically we
1. Free float the barrel
2. Convert gasblock to clamp-on type
3. Eliminate all points of pressure from the barrel
4. Make rail fixed to reciever

Regarding PSL:
from my personal point of view it's just AK with +-normal magazine and normal quality. Should one mimic SVD short stroke piston for it -i don't think so, since at first place it just a mimic of SVD and tryout to earn additional.money on "i_wanna_be_an_svd" feeling.
I mean it makes sence to use existing svd parts if they are cheap and readily available but to make them from scratch - well.. not my cup of tea.

What i'm sure is that HK417 gas piston system can be easily adopted to PSL and since we make Hk417 adjustable gasblock we'll see what we can do.
vtb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 05:01 PM   #42
MABoris
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 160612

Funny thing, you being from Czech Republic and talking about short stroke AK ... VZ58? They are great guns but "special" like all Czech guns.

I think that the biggest issue is that demand for SVDs in US is much greater than supply. It's like selling a gadget for Ferarris, it would be nice to have ... if you got the car and not many do. The lucky bastards who own SVD in US probably would not touch it to lower the value or dress it differently, because regular SVD has more wow factor than masqueraded one.
MABoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015, 10:31 PM   #43
Towerofpower93

AKaholic #: 105103

Quote:
Originally Posted by MABoris View Post
Funny thing, you being from Czech Republic and talking about short stroke AK ... VZ58? They are great guns but "special" like all Czech guns.

I think that the biggest issue is that demand for SVDs in US is much greater than supply. It's like selling a gadget for Ferarris, it would be nice to have ... if you got the car and not many do. The lucky bastards who own SVD in US probably would not touch it to lower the value or dress it differently, because regular SVD has more wow factor than masqueraded one.
Incorrect, I'd love to put something like this on a Tiger to see what I could get out of it in a DMR or PSR match.

My SVD has given sub-MOA accuracy off the bipod clamped to the receiver, but that doesn't apply once the handguards have pressure applied to them.
Towerofpower93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #44
vtb

Mark II
Old 11-25-2015, 09:05 AM   #45
Towerofpower93

VTB: where exactly are these mounts clamping to besides the left side scope rail?

Seems like between the scope rail and the forward portion of the receiver where the C-1 and S-1 bipeds are generally affixed you'd have a lot of force exerted.

Edit: went back and saw that you have the lower rail affixed to a 'barrel nut' that seems to be a two piece block clamped around the exterior portion of the chamber. Is that correct?

Any chance for a post with step by step install pics so we can see how this thing bolts on, haha?

Last edited by Towerofpower93; 11-25-2015 at 09:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 01:24 PM   #46
Ohl_san

AKaholic #: 183125

Quote:
thank you.

PS
and the rifle can be converted back if you need - so the chassis is not a permanent thing
I love this stock, good job on the update
Ohl_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015, 01:27 PM   #47
vtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Towerofpower93 View Post
VTB: where exactly are these mounts clamping to besides the left side scope rail?

Seems like between the scope rail and the forward portion of the receiver where the C-1 and S-1 bipeds are generally affixed you'd have a lot of force exerted.

Edit: went back and saw that you have the lower rail affixed to a 'barrel nut' that seems to be a two piece block clamped around the exterior portion of the chamber. Is that correct?

Any chance for a post with step by step install pics so we can see how this thing bolts on, haha?
barrel nut is a single piece with clamp portion.

it goes from the barrel end, fixes on receiver extension, goes into receiver (under the chamber) and clamps on. at the same time there is a hole through the barrel nut for the pin (it goes through cutout in the receiver extension which is been used to fix rear sight base on original SVD)
. So basically there are 3 points of fix
1. tension on barrel extension
2. tension on clamp-on for the "ears" which goes into receiver under the chambe
3. pin which goes from the side and fix barrel nut on the recevier extension cutout which doesn't allow the barrel nut to slide back and forth.
There is a possibility to add additional level of comfort - use 2 component epoxy (with 145C burn temp) but currently since i take off\put on various designs i won't do it.

after that you slide "upper" from the back of the rifle to the receiver rail and over the barrel nut. You fix upper
1. on the receiver rail with 3 vertical bolts M6 - they act as a clamp-on
2. to force upper not to slide forward you put a M10 bolt perpendicular to the receiver - it goes right to the stop on the receiver rail
3. 4 M5 screws been used to fix upper to the barrel nut

lower handguard goes from the bottom. it stays at place with
1. on the barrel nut - there are 2 recoil lugs which don't allow lower to slide from it. plus 4 M5 bolts.
2. on the upper - there are 4 recoil mini lugs which fixes lower handguard from walking left and right and back in relation to upper. + 2 M5 bolts which goes at the front from the top.

So basically system will work and stay in place if you loose 50% of all bolts. But all you have to do is just tighten everything to 65 lbs\inch and use blue loctite at all bolts.

Pre-production status:

Last edited by vtb; 11-25-2015 at 01:52 PM.
Old 11-26-2015, 02:31 PM   #48
Towerofpower93

Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I'd want to keep all the factory installed front sight and handguard retention bits in place on the full size SVD as I shoot a match twice a year that requires the wooden handguards to be used, but I'd seriously consider getting a second Tiger to do this to if it was available.
Old 11-26-2015, 03:54 PM   #49
vtb

Quote:
Thanks for the detailed explanation.

I'd want to keep all the factory installed front sight and handguard retention bits in place on the full size SVD as I shoot a match twice a year that requires the wooden handguards to be used, but I'd seriously consider getting a second Tiger to do this to if it was available.
Well.. this kit require all old furniture from the barrel should be removed.
The easiest way is just make a tigr as an upgraded rifle while keep SVD in original state.

If the second rifle is not the option i'd just unscrew the barrel with all SVD furniture and make the new barrel to be freefloated inside the chassis.
spare parts you'll need
0. new barrel chambered for 762x54r, contoured for SVD gasblock with thread for muzzlebrake.
1. gasblock
2. reciever cover with spring
3. any muzzlebrake you wish (since i'd thread new barrel as 5/8-24tpi ti have access to all .308 muzzlebrakes available (i do have 5/8-24tpi now on the rifle pictured and it works fine with .311 bullets.)

14" lower slim handguard. Barrel fully frefloated.

PS
of course you can just convert all barrel related original SVD bits to the clamp-on style to allow easy put-on put-off - but i'd say it's just a virtual option
Old 11-26-2015, 09:41 PM   #50
Warhead65

AKaholic #: 162395

NNNN0000000000000000000!!!!!!!
Warhead65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2015, 10:02 AM   #51
Towerofpower93

Interesting that it requires the handguard retainers and FSB to be removed. Would a shorter section of rail make these steps moot? Not bashing the design and understanding the availability of these rifles to you makes it a non-issue....I'm just curious.

You stated earlier you can remove the top cover with the rail system in place. That last picture makes it look like the top rail is just barely clearing the top cover though. Is it a case of the rearmost portion of the upper rail being far enough forward so the top cover can tip upwards and the locking lug the recoil mechanism is attached to can clear the receiver?
Old 11-27-2015, 11:11 AM   #52
vtb

Quote:
Interesting that it requires the handguard retainers and FSB to be removed. Would a shorter section of rail make these steps moot? Not bashing the design and understanding the availability of these rifles to you makes it a non-issue....I'm just curious.

You stated earlier you can remove the top cover with the rail system in place. That last picture makes it look like the top rail is just barely clearing the top cover though. Is it a case of the rearmost portion of the upper rail being far enough forward so the top cover can tip upwards and the locking lug the recoil mechanism is attached to can clear the receiver?
1. You can't freefloat the barrel if you won't remove everything from it.
2. These items make 8 points of pressure on barrel which is critical to the accuracy. Basically difference between good SVD and bad SVD is how guysin Izhevsk managed to put all this furniture on stock without over-pressuring the points of fix.

Regarding priginal topover. It has been cut in half. If you leave the original top cover intact you'll have to make 1913-MIL-STD rail higher almost on 1,25". So if you want to put top rail low (now its on the same height over the barrel as in AR system)
Here are the pics:

Old 11-27-2015, 03:27 PM   #53
Towerofpower93

Very cool! Would not have thought about cutting the top cover down and making new link up tabs in the free float rail system.
Old 11-27-2015, 06:15 PM   #54
vtb

Meanwhile... finished my mags

51 rounds.

Last edited by vtb; 11-28-2015 at 03:03 AM.
Old 11-27-2015, 08:14 PM   #55
Ohl_san

AKaholic #: 183125

Those almost look gold
Ohl_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 10:21 AM   #56
Towerofpower93

Sweet looking mags. Was 17 the max you're able to fit due to cutting off the bottom of one and the feed lips of the second?

Are you using the same spring or using the springs from both mags and fusing the ends together to form a single unit?
Old 11-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #57
vtb

17 is the max feeadable rounds you can achieve keeping the original 10 rounds mag curve. I mean physically 22 will fit but the won't feed.
Spring is from 10 rounder.
Old 11-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #58
dedubyah

AKaholic #: 182263

what will be the cost of one of these systems?
dedubyah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:05 PM   #59
euphrates
Red List All Star

AKaholic #: 177426

Hell yeah man. Nice work. Awesome work with CNC on the handguard
euphrates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2015, 03:51 PM   #60
vtb

Quote:
Originally Posted by dedubyah View Post
what will be the cost of one of these systems?
Don't know if i can post prices.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:38 PM   #61
Porsche914ls6
Angry White Trash

AKaholic #: 161826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht View Post
Zdar, pěkná práce, líbí se mi, ale tady asi nenajdeš moc těch, kdo to ocení. Jsou tu spíš sběratelé než modernizátoři a dragunov je pro ně skoro posvátný kvér.
Easy for you to say...
I took a dump this afternoon....and the turd, reached up with both hands..and began playing with my sak....it then said, "Let me make this perfectly clear." I flushed it...it was kinda creepy. It was saying something about... "fundamentaly changing..." something, before the turd gobbler swallowed it.
Porsche914ls6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #62
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee

AKaholic #: 159575

Wow!
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 07:40 AM   #63
Jeepfan

AKaholic #: 178011

I can't decide if I like it or it hurts my eyes

I like the classic lines of the SVD but I understand trying to squeeze more potential accuracy out of the system. I admire your effort.

I am wondering what type of ammo you are using? Are you using military surplus match/sniper ammo? Is hand loading a option in your country?

I'd just like to have the opportunity to own a reasonable priced SVD.
Jeepfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 08:36 AM   #64
vtb

We use civilian version of 7N1 round: 2 elment steel core, 151 grain, bullet, running 830 ms out of 22.5" barrel (860 ms from 620mm SVD barrel). Price is ~0.53 USD per round.
Old 11-29-2015, 08:49 AM   #65
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

please to put million candle power light instead of keychain light...maybe Hind 24 spot light?

looks great

also the dragbag looks nice.
Your revolution is over, Mr. Lebowski. Condolences. The bums lost. My advice is to do what your parents did; get a job, sir. The bums will always lose. Do you hear me, Lebowski? The bums will always lose!

temp ban award winner: ka64
Posting a .gif of a Male Motor boating a woman's ass/vag from behind. No true nudity due to camera angle, still a sex act in the general forums...
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 10:32 AM   #66
Towerofpower93

Quote:
Don't know if i can post prices.
The SVD crew around here is pretty small and open to sharing. I doubt any of the moderators would freak out if you posted a general price point for the sake of institutional knowledge.

Would be interesting to see what the potential price would be since I'm sure anything developed on this side of the pond would be much more.
Old 11-29-2015, 03:20 PM   #67
vtb

Well. Regarding the pricing.
We estimate retail as
$750 for chassis (steel CNCd barrel nut, T7075 CNCd upper and T6061 CNCd lower foreend)
$50 for adapter for AR pistol grip and Buffer tube (T6061 CNCd)
Shipment is around $40 worldwide
Old 11-29-2015, 03:22 PM   #68
vtb

Here i'll stress on pics moments which were discovered on mark III pre-production run and were corrected in mark VI.

Old 12-01-2015, 08:20 PM   #69
Porsche914ls6
Angry White Trash

AKaholic #: 161826

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelbronco View Post
I do appreciate the post and I respect what he's done to that rifle, very unique. Im jealous I don't have svd rifles laying around like it ain't no thing!
I can truly understand the the motivation of the OP in modifying and improving a rifle that is common to him.

Vtb, your work looks very good! Thanks for sharing your modifications with us.

If I had 6-7 SVD's just laying around the shop (knowing I could snap another one up any time I like), I'd be doing the same damn thing.

Some of the members here can't place themselves in your shoes and see things from your perspective.

Keep up the good work and please keep posting despite some of the 'purist naysayers' here.
I took a dump this afternoon....and the turd, reached up with both hands..and began playing with my sak....it then said, "Let me make this perfectly clear." I flushed it...it was kinda creepy. It was saying something about... "fundamentaly changing..." something, before the turd gobbler swallowed it.
Porsche914ls6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2015, 09:11 PM   #70
Highboy

AKaholic #: 177576

I can appreciate most of your work, except I cannot comprehend why anyone would want to use a AR style stock . . ?
Highboy is offline   Reply With Quote