Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-23-2018, 04:50 PM   #1
Centuriator
Banned

AKaholic #: 195948
Default Palmetto Gen 2

What's the word on the Gen 2 versions of Palmetto's AKs. I wanted to pick up a relatively inexpensive AK and can get one for $525, shipped.

Worth the risk?

What's the word?

I know the Gen 2 passed Robski's 5,000 round test, but he ended the video with a very stern warning to PSA to keep their quality up.

So....opinions? From actual users preferred.
Centuriator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 05:34 PM   #2
GuidoFL
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171081

I have one. Quality is first class.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:11 PM   #3
TXsailor

AKaholic #: 193986

I have one. Love the rifle over all. Hate the rear trunnion. It's a good buy for the price, but your butt stock will wobble a bit.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
wolf762

AKaholic #: 193313

Palmetto has the cash flow to keep improving . In the next couple years or sooner they will own the best bang for your buck market. It was a very smart decision to go full in on the AK market . Ar15s are snail sales right now .

Look I own a wasr guys . But I’m feeling the price of a wasr will be $800-850 in a couple years
Quote:
Originally Posted by love my ak47 View Post
Dude you look at your Arsenal rifle wrong and it voids the Warranty
wolf762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:30 PM   #5
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf762 View Post
Palmetto has the cash flow to keep improving . In the next couple years or sooner they will own the best bang for your buck market. It was a very smart decision to go full in on the AK market . Ar15s are snail sales right now .

Look I own a wasr guys . But Iím feeling the price of a wasr will be $800-850 in a couple years
I agree. Hopefully we will have quality imports under $700 in the future.

OP I don't have experience with one personally but lately I have been inching in the direction of giving one a try.
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:31 PM   #6
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Quote:

Look I own a wasr guys . But Iím feeling the price of a wasr will be $800-850 in a couple years
If the Democrats regain control in 2020 that will probably become a true number. If it doesn't become an illicit item first. Either way it will be valuable.
Old 06-23-2018, 07:42 PM   #7
wolf762

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Ak-47 View Post
I agree. Hopefully we will have quality imports under $700 in the future.

OP I don't have experience with one personally but lately I have been inching in the direction of giving one a try.

With their 9mm offering that takes cz scorpion mags coming as well as their 5.56 that takes ar15 mags in the line as well I see them doing very well for the foreseeable future .

Plus their 9mm looks great !
Quote:
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #8
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

Quote:
With their 9mm offering that takes cz scorpion mags coming as well as their 5.56 that takes ar15 mags in the line as well I see them doing very well for the foreseeable future .

Those could be game changers, lets hope they pull it off with no issues.
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 07:45 PM   #9
gaigeboyd

AKaholic #: 195191

Over 1k rounds and only have normal wear. I would absolutely reccomed!
Old 06-23-2018, 07:55 PM   #10
wolf762

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
If the Democrats regain control in 2020 that will probably become a true number. If it doesn't become an illicit item first. Either way it will be valuable.

Trump train will keep rolling another 4 years . After that the NWO will grab the U.S.A by the balls for full complitancey or else .

They have already destroyed the nuclear family and they tried to divide us again last week regarding children and family immigration . They are coercing the younger generation to hate its own country . Letís enjoy the fluke of freedom for the next 6 years .
Quote:
Old 06-23-2018, 08:06 PM   #11
praxidike
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 191101

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
That or if Century hikes the prices up again.
praxidike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 09:02 PM   #12
MudEagle

AKaholic #: 195679

There are a pair for sale in the Marketplace right now for $450.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...&highlight=PSA
MudEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:10 PM   #13
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudEagle View Post
There are a pair for sale in the Marketplace right now for $450.

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...&highlight=PSA
Little bullshit chatter in that thread.
If I was OP, I'd be quite shitty.

ďIt's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.Ē - Mark Twain
boutcha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 11:28 PM   #14
Kit Carson
Burn Down Babylon

AKaholic #: 195746

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
haha I saw that too. Surprised those comments haven't been removed.

About 500 rounds here. No issues.
I call her the mutt slutt

Kit Carson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:17 AM   #15
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Free thread bumps I guess.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:18 AM   #16
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Mine still haven't eaten themselves or blown up. From what I can see, most of the people saying they're junk haven't owned one. Combloc fanboyism.

Are they the best AKs available? No. Are they a solid deal at $500? Hell yes.

giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:40 AM   #17
JJ308
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163221

Stupid question...

GB2 is gen 2?
JJ308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #18
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
Mine still haven't eaten themselves or blown up. From what I can see, most of the people saying they're junk haven't owned one. Combloc fanboyism.
It's a 50/50 between fanboyism and people who saw the original kits have problems, and can't get over the idea that development has occurred and things have been improved...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ308 View Post
Stupid question...

GB2 is gen 2?
Yep! Look for the star on the trunnion!
Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #19
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 188133

Comblock fanboyism???

Comblock fanboyism????

Ok, I'm a.......fanboy???....uhhh. Ummm... I don't know what to say. Nevermind, yes I do!

Ya know why I like AKs over ARs?

Because you buy a $650 AR. For example let's say a nice Aero or PSA lower, premium upper. High speed low drag BCG, all the rails and gizmos you want...

In 5 years it's going to be just another AR. You'd be lucky to resell it for what you have into it. Same with ANY American AK.

Let's apply this knowledge in the AK only world....

Let's take your average comblock fanboy AK. ANy of them. Pick one. The moment the last boat leaves port you double your INVESTMENT. Like with any VEPR, SGL, Polytech, OPAP, Maadi, (the list goes on and on)

I can't figure out how the hell anyone would EVER buy an American copy when there are still quality factory guns coming in from overseas and also when Atlantic is building Polish guns that rival the fit and finish of the AMerican copies, but with metallurgy and reliability only dreamed about from an American manufacturer. Its like choosing a Pontiac Fiero over a Real Deal Lotus.. Stupid.

I like PSA. I hope they continue to kick ass. But you will never catch me buying one of their AKs as the following experience soured me on what they actually think of us...

The KS 47 is a fun toy. Had they have supported it AT ALL it would be amazing and they would have sold 10 times as many. They know about the issues with it, offered a free replacement bolt on ARFCOM ONLY....

Then had the balls to come HERE and announce that the NEW version will be made more cheaply, and when I asked, Josiah said they won't ship the NEW FREE REPLACEMENT BOLT they offered on ARFCOM to us lowly fucking idiot AK guys.

Fuck your PSAAK whatever version they come out with. Call me a fanboy, That's why I'm not on ARFCOM or CALGUNS asking about my new C39.

Good luck. You'll obviously need it if you are going to pass up ANY of the current imports for one.

If you have it all.... and just want to have one to say you have one.... I guess that's your prerogative. If they put the same half ass support effort into their AK as they did with the KS, I'd rather have a fucking C39. At least I could sell it for more than $500 on the used market. Unlike the beloved PSAPOS.

Is it the best American AK??? Who fucking cares?

Wake me up when Ruger makes an AK. Then I might give a shit.

Last edited by Extra Medium; 06-24-2018 at 11:27 AM.
Extra Medium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:06 AM   #20
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

the PSA gen 2's are the only AK's from America I would consider right now. they seem to be pretty decent.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:14 AM   #21
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

It means absolutely nothing to post photos of pristine rifles that look like they've never been fired and say you own one and it hasn't given you any problems or that it's been "flawless" without details.

How many total rounds through the gun over what period of time?
How many rounds through the gun in one day?
Are you actually training with the gun, or standing still and slow firing at dirt clods?
Has the gun been run hard during cold and hot weather?
What was the headspace like when it was new compared to now?
Have you ran different types of magazines and ammo through the gun?

I was glad to see one of the PSA AK's pass Rob's test, but that is just one gun passing one test. Widespread use is truly the best way to determine if something is gtg or not. Look what happened with the Sig P365...it was touted as a Glock killer and the greatest thing since ice cream until people had some rounds through them and started having serious problems.

For any that have trouble with reading comprehension, I'm not shitting on Rob or his tests, I've bought a ton of stuff from his store I appreciate him for doing so but we have to keep things in context. It's one rifle, one test.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 11:59 AM   #22
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

My personal opinion even though nobody asked is I'm appreciative of what psa does in general and especially for the ak world I like that they went to billet over cast aswell that's why I dont doubt that anyone's psa will go through a 5k test without any really issue

...... but to me at least for right now with what some imported rifles cost right now both new and what you can still find on the used market In my personal opinion the small cost saving up front dont yet justify it at this point

No I'm not gonna have 10k rounds through a rifle in my first year of owning it especially considering it's not the only rifle I have to shoot but when i buy a rifle i at least plan on owning it forever and possibly passing it along to son one day

That's just where I'm at in my thinking at this moment

I guess i have a serious case of "com bloc fanboyism"
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 12:25 PM   #23
giantpune
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extra Medium View Post
Good luck. You'll obviously need it if you are going to pass up ANY of the current imports for one.
I've got Arsenal and vepr right here beside my PSAKs. But OP is here asking if the PSA rifle is worth it at $500. As an actual owner of them, and with a sample size of more than 2, I feel like it is a sound purchase. He's not really passing up an import for the PSA rifle if he wasn't going to spend $750+ on the import in the first place. If you could buy a wasr, arsenal, or vepr thats not completely torn up for $500, then I'd say go with it.

the fanboyism is the people saying these are steaming piles of shit without ever being in the same room as one.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 01:03 PM   #24
juanmaryjon

AKaholic #: 191988

i 100000% agree that combloc is the way to go but $500 is f'n cheeap.....i saw them this weekend online id be tempted to get one just to test it for that price, do i want one? no not really. Its obviously not top tier but they seem be the next best thing as of now, the furniture didnt even look like it needed to be replaced unlike wasrs that are selling for $650++ now....ii would be very pleased if these guns turned out to be as solid as their ARs are
Old 06-24-2018, 01:27 PM   #25
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
I've got Arsenal and vepr right here beside my PSAKs. But OP is here asking if the PSA rifle is worth it at $500. As an actual owner of them, and with a sample size of more than 2, I feel like it is a sound purchase. He's not really passing up an import for the PSA rifle if he wasn't going to spend $750+ on the import in the first place. If you could buy a wasr, arsenal, or vepr thats not completely torn up for $500, then I'd say go with it.

the fanboyism is the people saying these are steaming piles of shit without ever being in the same room as one.
Got arsenal, got WBP, had a WASR. Between WBP and PSAK, I'd take the WBP, but it's also twice the price. Between a PSAK and the WASR, I'll honestly take the PSAK. People put alot of stock in "but Cugir is combloc!" but modern WASRs are the same commercial product just being pumped out in a different location, with LESS quality control and no accountability. If they were made on surplus parts kits, I'd think differently. But they're brand new production parts, on brand new commercial receivers.
Old 06-24-2018, 01:53 PM   #26
juanmaryjon

AKaholic #: 191988

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Got arsenal, got WBP, had a WASR. Between WBP and PSAK, I'd take the WBP, but it's also twice the price. Between a PSAK and the WASR, I'll honestly take the PSAK. People put alot of stock in "but Cugir is combloc!" but modern WASRs are the same commercial product just being pumped out in a different location, with LESS quality control and no accountability. If they were made on surplus parts kits, I'd think differently. But they're brand new production parts, on brand new commercial receivers.
how are the new parts any different than what they produce for the military? the romarm website sells new full auto dracos and pm63s. do you know for certain wasrs and dracos are made differently but from the same factory? other than import restrictions obviously....i dont see any facts backing your claims that they are commercial junk compared to plain combloc rifles.
Old 06-24-2018, 02:13 PM   #27
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmaryjon View Post
how are the new parts any different than what they produce for the military? the romarm website sells new full auto dracos and pm63s. do you know for certain wasrs and dracos are made differently but from the same factory? other than import restrictions obviously....i dont see any facts backing your claims that they are commercial junk compared to plain combloc rifles.
I never used the word "junk". That's you kiddo. But a commercially produced AK is just that: a commercially produced AK. It carries none of the individual service history of a surplus rifle, and therefore should be compared on its ACTUAL merits. Great. It was made in Romania at Cugir. That doesn't give it any additional intrinsic value, despite the "but it was IMPORTED!". My gu point being, just being imported doesn't make something immediately a higher quality. In the case of WASR versus PSA, I don't think "made in Romania" adds anything to a commercial product. I'll give WASRs the more durable barrel, absolutely, but with severely canted sights and magazine latch issues being common but there being no real warranty puts the overall product below another commercial offering, in this case PSA.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:19 PM   #28
praxidike
Veteran Member

I'll take my personal experience with my Wasrs and Rob's glowing reviews based on his personal experience and test over that of someone who's making baseless assumptions any day of the week... Own two, and neither of them have the "common" severely canted" sights or a problems with the mag latch.

I'd like cited sources what's the subpar difference between the build quality and materials used in Wasrs built for commercial use vs military use.
Old 06-24-2018, 03:25 PM   #29
praxidike
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by juanmaryjon View Post
That's what I want to know. Maybe he knows something we don't...
Old 06-24-2018, 03:37 PM   #30
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
I never used the word "junk". That's you kiddo. But a commercially produced AK is just that: a commercially produced AK. It carries none of the individual service history of a surplus rifle, and therefore should be compared on its ACTUAL merits. Great. It was made in Romania at Cugir. That doesn't give it any additional intrinsic value, despite the "but it was IMPORTED!". My gu point being, just being imported doesn't make something immediately a higher quality. In the case of WASR versus PSA, I don't think "made in Romania" adds anything to a commercial product. I'll give WASRs the more durable barrel, absolutely, but with severely canted sights and magazine latch issues being common but there being no real warranty puts the overall product below another commercial offering, in this case PSA.
While it may not add any "intrinsic value" to you

A wasrs parts a far superior to a psak a forged trunnion as long as it's done right witch by most peoples accounts and even if you look at ranges that wear guns all the time and what they report they are is much stronger it's mainly to do with the "grain" of the metal in a forged peice vs a billet

I find it harder to believe that cugir with all the equipment and experience they have to basically go out of they're way to make them worse

I think psa is a big step up from the tRASh 47 for example and I'm sure MOST people who buy them wont wear them out but I would expect even a wasr to last much longer mainly because they are using the same techniques that were used to make akms for military's around the world (cliche I know lol) and palmetto is trying a different way so they dont have to spend as much or work as hard because if you made an American ak with the kind of equipment they have in Romania and the same processes ..... well let's just say it ain't gonna cost no $500 that's for sure
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #31
deadduck357
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 14612

Quote:

Yeah they're holding $750 here locally but not moving at that price.
deadduck357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #32
deadduck357
Veteran Member

Quote:

Just wished they would have copied the Vityaz.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:12 PM   #33
deadduck357
Veteran Member

A few months ago there were no PSA AKs available. When PSA was asked "Where are they?" PSA replied "They were improving them and would be back soon". I can't remember exactly what or if even they mentioned all what was going to be improved but remember something about them mentioning moving from billet to forged parts. So do we know if this latest run has a forged trunnion, bolt and carrier?
Old 06-24-2018, 04:17 PM   #34
TXsailor

Quote:
Originally Posted by praxidike View Post
I'll take my personal experience with my Wasrs and Rob's glowing reviews based on his personal experience and test over that of someone who's making baseless assumptions any day of the week... Own two, and neither of them have the "common" severely canted" sights or a problems with the mag latch.

I'd like cited sources what's the subpar difference between the build quality and materials used in Wasrs built for commercial use vs military use.
I've never said there's a particularly materials difference between the military line and commercial line. I've said, unlike a rifle where "it's been there and done that", a new production commercial rifle is only worth its physical attributes. And just as you're basing your opinion on your personal experience, I'm basing my opinion on mine. My great combloc WASR was a steaming turd fresh from the dealer, but WASRs don't come with warranties. For $100 or more LESS money than current market on a WASR, my PSA was great out of the box, and the small issue I had was fixed on their dime, and if any other issues occur down the line, they'll continue to be fixed as long as PSA is a company.

It's your money, do what you want with it. But OP came here asking if the PSAKs were okay rifles, and personally, I'll take a PSAK over a WASR any day, having owned both.
Old 06-24-2018, 04:20 PM   #35
JJ308
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163221

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadduck357 View Post
A few months ago there were no PSA AKs available. When PSA was asked "Where are they?" PSA replied "They were improving them and would be back soon". I can't remember exactly what or if even they mentioned all what was going to be improved but remember something about them mentioning moving from billet to forged parts. So do we know if this latest run has a forged trunnion, bolt and carrier?
Melonite 4150 steel treated barrel
Stamped steel receiver
Billet Barrel Block (front trunion)
Billet Bolt
Hammer Forged Steel Carrier
Side Scope Mount
7.62x39 Caliber
1 in 9.5" Twist
Std. 800-yard rear sight leaf
JJ308 is online now   Reply With Quote