Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Old 07-17-2017, 12:41 AM   #1
Lingwendil
The man that sold The World

AKaholic #: 177079
Default Hungarian AKM rebuild on recreator blank

So, a little back story. I've been involved in build parties off and on, helped build, demil, populate barrels, etc, but a couple years back I finally decided to build up my own kit. I ordered up a Hungarian AKM kit from AKbuilder, non-chrome barrel, everything but the trunnion matched numbers, it and came with polish furniture, and it was clearly an AK63D underfolder kit that was sold with a fixed stock and rear trunnion. Perfect kit for a no frills build, so I grabbed a Polish blank, migged in the lower rails, broke a dozen drill bits getting it finished, and did a full heat treat in a lady friend's kiln. Turned out great, if not a bit ugly. Scratches, scuffs, and even a little dent near the rear trunnion on the non-operator side, behind the screwed-on optics rail.

After a while I threw some plum furniture on it, and shot the shit out of it. It currently runs a naked gas tube and an AMD65 handguard.

However, after nearly 10,000 rounds, it's starting to look ratty. Especially after building up my Yugo M72, I feel like I'm comparing a Cadillac DeVille to a thrashed Honda Civic. I notice every single flaw, even if it functions flawlessly and is the most accurate AK I own.

So, I've decided it needs to get a nice receiver and a new proper optics rail. I ordered myself a fully hardened Hungarian receiver blank from recreator, and it is superb.

I stripped down the Hungarian, and went to work.

Got it demilled, and started test fitting, and everything fits perfectly. The one side of the trunnion looks to have a gap, but that's just from a burr that has since been removed.

Rigged up a nice easy way to get the holes drilled for the front trunnion. Works perfectly, I clamp the vice to the plate with a bigass C-clamp. Slide the receiver over the trunnion, drill, reposition, and drill again. Not pictured is the clamp I put around the receiver to keep it still. I slip a block under that side to keep it stable, and shim if necessary. Slip a drill bit in the holes that you've already drilled to keep it from walking around on you.

That's all I could get done today, I'll rough in the upper and lower rails soon. So far I am very happy to get this built up again, and these receivers are a joy to work with.

Women are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.
Lingwendil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 06:45 AM   #2
brawny
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 187460

1 Corinthians 16:13-14

Let not him who girds on his armor boast like him who takes it off.
King Ahab
brawny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
Lane_H
Errmahgerd!

AKaholic #: 182543

I also need to do the same on my 1st build which coincidentally is also a ak63d kit with a fixed rear trunnion.

I am sure the 2nd go round on yours will turn out much nicer..

please ~Splain more bout that front trunnion rivet hole drill method?

hard to see in the pic / not quite sure what sorta clamp/vise is holding your trunnion that allows the receiver to slide into position for drilling.
??

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 09:59 AM   #4
Frog
Banned

AKaholic #: 191877

Are you reusing the original barrel with 10k rounds through it? How is the bullet test on that bbl?
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Lingwendil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post

hard to see in the pic / not quite sure what sorta clamp/vise is holding your trunnion that allows the receiver to slide into position for drilling.
??
I'll try and get some pics up, just waking up and have a one year old climbing all over me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frog View Post
Are you reusing the original barrel with 10k rounds through it? How is the bullet test on that bbl?
Bullet test goes just fine! Heat will really accelerate wear, and since I'm not a rapid fire/mag dump sort of guy, the barrel is in excellent condition and is still very accurate. No sense swapping it out until It truly needs it. It may be a ho-hum non-chrome US-made barrel, but it just plain works, and works very well.

Women are like parking spaces. All the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped.

Last edited by Lingwendil; 07-18-2017 at 02:20 AM.
Old 07-17-2017, 01:34 PM   #6
Frog
Banned

AKaholic #: 191877

Wow thats impressive
Frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 04:50 PM   #7
timhogan427
I eat ar15's and shit out ak's

AKaholic #: 178465

are you following me? i finish an m72, then you finish an m72. i finish an original barrel hungarian ak, now you finish one. lol whats my nect project? looking good btw :-D
Old 07-17-2017, 05:05 PM   #8
Lingwendil

Quote:
Originally Posted by timhogan427 View Post
are you following me? i finish an m72, then you finish an m72. i finish an original barrel hungarian ak, now you finish one. lol whats my nect project? looking good btw :-D
Maybe I'll do an AR with a steel lower next

Old 07-17-2017, 06:24 PM   #9
timhogan427

damnit! lol
Old 07-18-2017, 02:31 AM   #10
Lingwendil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
I also need to do the same on my 1st build which coincidentally is also a ak63d kit with a fixed rear trunnion.

I am sure the 2nd go round on yours will turn out much nicer..

??
So, couldn't find the time to get to the garage today for better pics, but it's fairly simple how I fixture it up.

Clamp trunnion ears in vice (front to back on top of trunnion)

Lower drill bit into rivet holes, hold down the chuck so the bit stays put through both front holes, and make adjustments as necessary. Clamp vice to table of drill press so everything stays put. Raise the quill (chuck assembly) of the drill press.

Slide receiver over trunnion, check that it is flush with the front of the trunnion, and grab a C-clamp to place around receiver to prevent it moving around.

Drip a few drops of oil on bit, drill through top hole. Drip a bit of oil inside trunnion at other side that will be drilled. Drill all the way through.

Undo clamp around receiver, slide receiver off, deburr holes. Wipe off excess oil to see what you are doing.

Loosen huge C-clamp, and reposition the trunnion for the next hole, and repeat.

Since I started doing it this way my holes are much nicer, and I rarely have to make any adjustment before riveting. A simple deburr is usually sufficient prepwork for riveting.

Old 07-18-2017, 11:42 AM   #11
euroking99

AKaholic #: 15327

Who makes this steel ar lower and is it available in 80%?
euroking99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 11:57 AM   #12
Lane_H
Errmahgerd!

AKaholic #: 182543

Quote:
Originally Posted by euroking99 View Post
Who makes this steel ar lower and is it available in 80%?
I think it was a joke..

but they do exist
-- http://www.theflatspot.net/ar-15-receiver-flat.html

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:31 PM   #13
Lingwendil

Ugh. Busy busy. I've been commuting all my life away, and have had little time for hobbies (other than Aquarium related stuff, but that's another story)

I scrubbed and force matched my front trunnion last night, I did it the bubba way, painted it and scratched in the new numbers by hand, then did the engraving with a 9 volt battery, and some face cleansing pads. Turned out great, thought I got a better pic of the finished product, but I'll try to tonight.

Last edited by Lingwendil; 09-11-2017 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Edit
Old 09-12-2017, 07:44 AM   #14
akmelee
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 156331

Very interesting technique for the etch. How long did you let the paint dry for before scratching off the paint. I'm just thinking if fully dried it would chip off wider or irregularly at the edges.
akmelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #15
Lingwendil

Overnight. I've done this in the past, and found best results with gloss paint and about six hours or so at least, otherwise the paint is sort of "gummy" and doesn't scrape off as clean.

Old 09-12-2017, 11:17 AM   #16
AKBLUE
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 5035

Nice job on the etching.
AKBLUE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 12:25 AM   #17
comrade_ny

AKaholic #: 189651

what did you use for etching solution? tell us more
comrade_ny is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 01:29 AM   #18
Lingwendil

Quote:
Originally Posted by comrade_ny View Post
what did you use for etching solution? tell us more
A cup of water, and I eyeballed a few tablespoons worth of table salt. Wrapped a steel screw in the facial cleansing pad, and attached the alligator clips (negative one on the screw, positive one on the trunnion) to a nine volt battery. Easy

Old 09-14-2017, 02:16 PM   #19
timhogan427

I swear that etching method is tits. I wish I could figure out how to make numbers/letters look consistent. I have chicken scratch for handwriting. Yes I could buy stencils, but i always like Homebrew.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:01 PM   #20
Lingwendil

I've engraved some pretty elaborate stuff using this method before. Somewhere I've got pics of a flat that I bent and did some pretty nice scrollwork/filigree looking stuff on, but that one I used epoxy paint as a resist, and it lifted on the edges when finishing up the design, so it was near ruined. That one I did it emersed in a salt solution, rather than in small sections, so it needed a real DC power supply and sucked several AMPS at about 20 volts to do something that large.

One of these days I want to do a milled blank with some nice floral/scroll pattern like you see on some fancy drillings and shotgun types of guns, it would look killer on a milled receiver! I want to experiment with using those toner-transfer sheets you use when etching electronic PCBs to print out a pattern and apply with heat. Much more consistent than free hand.

Old 09-14-2017, 05:50 PM   #21
Tommo
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 1190

Thank you very much for all the photos, great looking work!
Tommo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 12:32 PM   #22
Lingwendil

Little more progress. Got my rails fitted and welded, FCG holes laid out and drilled, center support installed. Next up is rear trunnion/side rail rivets, then barrel assembly goes back in!