Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Optics

Notices

Old 01-11-2018, 02:07 PM   #1
ah-k

AKaholic #: 168741
Default Welp, I screwed up...PA 3x Prism question

Ordered from Optics Planet yesterday and I just noticed on the shipping confirmation that I got the 7.62/300 reticle. Problem being that this was supposed to go on an AR. I remember that before they had the dedicated 7.62 version that they had a way to sight in the 5.56 to compensate for the drop of the bigger round. I'll eventually pick up an RS mount and throw this on my AK but any recommendations on making this work on an AR in the mean time?

"I'd rather see a rifle "Magpul-fucked" than "Tapco-fucked". - Flankenstein
ah-k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2018, 02:53 PM   #2
steppingcrane

AKaholic #: 179609

You can always zero it in at whatever you want (I think they recommend 200 m/yds to for the BDC to work), then just learn where by each mark the bullet would impact at a certain range. Even in the real world, the bdc is never exact since there are many variables at play (bullet weight, velocity, environment, etc...)

For instance, on a general 5.56 bcd, the 7.62x39 may hit the next mark down at 250 yards, instead of 300. It drops faster, so only gets 250 yards out at the mark, whereas the 5.56 would have been 300 yards out at that same mark

Hopefully this makes sense, easier to see it then explain.
steppingcrane is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 02:38 AM   #3
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

This is why I generally avoid Optics Planet. Amazon and others would let you return it and get a new one, but OP is always a brat when it comes to returns.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 11:32 AM   #4
ah-k

AKaholic #: 168741

Oddly enough, they sent me a return form before I got the shipping notice! It had already been picked and boxed at 9:30 am after I placed my order at 8 pm the night before. I think that's pretty impressive and customer service was great. I've been wanting one of these for my AK anyway so I'm happy to keep it. Now I wish Rob Ski had just the RS pieces for sale since I always planned on buying the Goat Fucker from him!

Back on topic, I'm sure I'll be fine. This is mostly for some upcoming sim training that I wanted a cheap optic for. No sense getting a high dollar lens shot out.

"I'd rather see a rifle "Magpul-fucked" than "Tapco-fucked". - Flankenstein
ah-k is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:32 AM   #5
burninglegs
Where we go one we go all

AKaholic #: 183372

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmano View Post
This is why I generally avoid Optics Planet. Amazon and others would let you return it and get a new one, but OP is always a brat when it comes to returns.
Wait what?
burninglegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 02:49 AM   #6
jmano

AKaholic #: 164016

Quote:
Originally Posted by burninglegs View Post
Wait what?
Optics Planet return policy:
"All items must be returned in NEW condition (i.e., not used, broken or worn), in the original manufacturer's packaging and with all original contents included, e.g., instruction manuals, accessories, additional components."

Amazon takes items that break back. So if you buy a scope that ends up not holding up, you can return it.
jmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2018, 12:04 PM   #7
gibsonsg05

AKaholic #: 175861

I would just put the 7.62 prism on your AK and get another one for your AR. It's a great optic and you won't regret it. The 7.62 version is the only one with the removable riser which makes it a perfect addition to your AK. Alternately, you can just mount it to your AR and don't use the BDC. If you're shooting 5.56 you should have a pretty good idea of your holdovers on a man sized target.

I use the 3x prism on my SLR106 and haven't had a problem with not using the BDC reticle. With a 50yard zero the bottom of the chevron was approx 400 yards but I did not not have a chance to confirm that on steel at that distance.
gibsonsg05 is offline   Reply With Quote