Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 12-12-2017, 02:18 PM   #1
Road Hater

AKaholic #: 188063
Default Looking for Non removable ďhi capacityĒ sks mag

Trying to find a box mag or drum I can put clips in with no modifying gun to where it can’t use standard mag. Where can I find this? For Yugo sks
Road Hater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 02:38 PM   #2
Black B15
Not giving a fuck....

AKaholic #: 171898

There is a 20 round fixed mag that I believe is Chinese in origin.

Or....you can uninstall the fixed mag and use a removable mag (like a drum) and it is still reversible without any modifications. It can be switched back and forth fairly easily, with no permanent mods required.

If you want it to be non removable the only option I know of is the 20 round Chinese fixed mag. This would simply replace the 10 round fixed mag you have now.

Last edited by Black B15; 12-12-2017 at 02:45 PM.
Black B15 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #3
TomJerome

AKaholic #: 183476

You could fabricate a lip onto an aftermarket mag by adding metal to emulate a factory fixed mag. Then install the modified mag before you install the FCG.
TomJerome is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 06:29 PM   #4
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

After dealing with numerous FTFs, you will wish you saved yourself the time and bought an ak
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 07:15 PM   #5
dwcopple
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171373

Tapco 20's ran flawless in my old SKS
dwcopple is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:56 AM   #6
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwcopple View Post
Tapco 20's ran flawless in my old SKS
Until you leave a few loaded for a few months like I did, then the feed lips expand and jamomatic every other round

Tapcod sks was hands down the most problematic firearm I have ever owned
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:02 PM   #7
dArK 47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167665

SKS shines as itself, with factory 10rd capacity. You can top-off quickly from a pouch or big jacket pockets. SKS has the smoother two-piston recoil and seems to point itself into the center-mass of a target. Got (usually) a 20" barrel, too.

Definitely get a AK if you have to have that capacity. The SK is also pretty durable/reliable in its own right.
dArK 47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 05:14 PM   #8
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Aside from figuring out how to add an optic, any of these "upgrades" to the rifle are a waste of time that make the gun shittier
Orpheus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 06:00 PM   #9
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

As stated, the only somewhat reliable option is the Star side Chinese fixed 20. They are a little bulky, not cheap, mostly function, and all 3 of mine are sitting in a crate unattached to the rifles they go with. Stick with the factory 10.

URCX: Your Best Friend on the Internet!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 06:06 PM   #10
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Aside from figuring out how to add an optic, any of these "upgrades" to the rifle are a waste of time that make the gun shittier
Very true.

OP, what kind of clips are you using? Are you looking for a higher capacity mag because it's a pain to use your stripper clips? I think that most people are steered towards aftermarket, higher capacity mags because most of the stripper clips sold on Amazon or Ebay are complete repop garbage. Depending on how much tension on the leaf springs, they make for either stiff and nearly impossible loading, or half the rounds fall out into whatever rig they're carried in.

Getting some quality surplus stripper clips will make you forget about using anything but the factory 10-round, fixed magazine. They will hold in the rounds and load like butter, all with the minimal amount of leaf spring tension. Surplus clips have a more positive "ridge" on the end of the leaf springs, while the repop ones have a weaker, more rounded ridge.

The Czechoslovakian "BXN" clips are the best, followed by Yugo, and finally the Chinese. Getting authentic Chinese ones is difficult as the repop ones are based on that mold and frequently are sold as originals. There are also Russian ones, but I've never encountered them.

Good surplus clips are typically available for about $0.75-1.50 a piece, shipped. Ebay is a good resource, as is Numrich's and a few other vendors. The Numrich's site can be ambiguous as to whether they're selling surplus or repop and they need to be called for verification.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:15 AM   #11
Road Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomJerome View Post
Very true.

OP, what kind of clips are you using? Are you looking for a higher capacity mag because it's a pain to use your stripper clips? I think that most people are steered towards aftermarket, higher capacity mags because most of the stripper clips sold on Amazon or Ebay are complete repop garbage. Depending on how much tension on the leaf springs, they make for either stiff and nearly impossible loading, or half the rounds fall out into whatever rig they're carried in.

Getting some quality surplus stripper clips will make you forget about using anything but the factory 10-round, fixed magazine. They will hold in the rounds and load like butter, all with the minimal amount of leaf spring tension. Surplus clips have a more positive "ridge" on the end of the leaf springs, while the repop ones have a weaker, more rounded ridge.

The Czechoslovakian "BXN" clips are the best, followed by Yugo, and finally the Chinese. Getting authentic Chinese ones is difficult as the repop ones are based on that mold and frequently are sold as originals. There are also Russian ones, but I've never encountered them.

Good surplus clips are typically available for about $0.75-1.50 a piece, shipped. Ebay is a good resource, as is Numrich's and a few other vendors. The Numrich's site can be ambiguous as to whether they're selling surplus or repop and they need to be called for verification.
Thanks for the tip..yea I was kind of just wanting to see if I could extend capacity a bit without screwing it up to save space instead of having to buy Mags..but I admit thatís realy because Iím at a shortage of clips..I have just a couple Chinese and the rest I assume are cheap American made..Iíve found if I take a long object like a pen and press down on the metal right before the tip at the end It seems I can smooth it out to about where the surplus clips are..Iíve been trying that for a bit..I have a friend on a trip with an old bucket full of surplus clips Iíve been meaning to buy once he gets back tho so Iím holding out with these
Old 12-15-2017, 05:04 AM   #12
TomJerome

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hater View Post
Thanks for the tip..yea I was kind of just wanting to see if I could extend capacity a bit without screwing it up to save space instead of having to buy Mags..but I admit thatís realy because Iím at a shortage of clips..I have just a couple Chinese and the rest I assume are cheap American made..Iíve found if I take a long object like a pen and press down on the metal right before the tip at the end It seems I can smooth it out to about where the surplus clips are..Iíve been trying that for a bit..I have a friend on a trip with an old bucket full of surplus clips Iíve been meaning to buy once he gets back tho so Iím holding out with these
Tweaking repop clips probably won't help. They problem with them is that the "ridge" or "lip" at the ends of the springs are too rounded -- they won't hold in rounds without having a lot of spring tension, and a lot of spring tension makes for very stiff and inconsistent loading. Surplus clips have a more "square" ridge, and hold in the rounds with very little bend or tension to the springs. In my experience, to have the repop clips hold rounds securely, the leaf springs need to be bent out to almost 2 cm. Surplus clips will hold the rounds with just a couple of mm of bend.

Hope those surplus from your friend works out. I have some 30-round Targetsports USA mags that work fine with my SKS's, but I haven't touched them since I got good clips.
Old 12-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #13
Road Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Whatís a stable optic mounting system for sks? Are u suggesting I remove grorious yugoslav wood?
Old 12-17-2017, 10:55 PM   #14
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Hater View Post
Whatís a stable optic mounting system for sks? Are u suggesting I remove grorious yugoslav wood?
Aside from the molot side rail that kalinka sells, I havent found one. To be honest, I havent looked very hard.
Old 12-17-2017, 11:02 PM   #15
Orpheus
Veteran Member

The BXN clips are awesome, work great for both sks and vz58s
Old 12-19-2017, 05:50 AM   #16
mishaco
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 190226

Somewhat ironically, i had an SKS Paratrooper carbine with the 20 rd Chinese mag come into the store the same day the OP posted this thread.

We tested fired the SKS Saturday, so a video of it will be on the channel sometime this month.
I then listed it on GB as i really do not need another rifle right now, but it was cool for having the short barrel & long mag. Gave it a unique appearance.

If you need stripper clips, e-mail me and i'll send you a couple as a little gift, just cover postage please.

ozarkbeararms@gmail.com

cheers,
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote