Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 06-20-2018, 03:35 PM   #36
Extra Medium
Spectacular Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 188133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trvrswsr1234 View Post
Are the sgl rifles really superior in any way over an slr for the extra money

I personally wouldn't think so but who knows
Collector value. If you're going to buy a gun. Might as well buy one that will be worth more in the future than it is today. Another reason I chose AK over AR
Old 06-20-2018, 03:40 PM   #37
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
I don't get the huge hubbub over the dimples really has anyone on here ever actually had those tabs the wasrs use fall out or fail them in anyway?
I think it's less function and more form. A lack of dimples just looks... wrong.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:21 PM   #38
Burgher

AKaholic #: 195397

Cant go wrong with a vepr fm or sam7. I have and love both. Ill always prefer the classic look though, functionality aside. Ive heard Atlantic will be releasing more of the circle 11 builds. I have the underfolder and that thing is just awesome. Definitely something Id consider if I were you.
Burgher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:50 PM   #39
SERE

AKaholic #: 179517

Rifle Dynamics AKM @ $1450 or Definitive Arms DAKM would be my choices at todays prices for the FM Vepr or SAM 7 Arsenal.
SERE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:12 PM   #40
mishaco
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 190226

What parts are either of those built with these days?

Also as I have said in similar thread to this one, for the OP's first AK, I'd highly recommend buying New-in-Box (NIB).
Shopping for a good deal on a Used AK is great...if the person knows what to look for and to look out for.
If it is one's first AK though, the buyer could easily be tricked or buy something with a major issue, unknowingly.
Plus there is something nice about getting a factory fresh rifle; the small of the oil, getting all the accessories, and of course; having a factory warranty 'just in case.'
mishaco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:22 PM   #41
realtor

AKaholic #: 196887

I did NOT read every post above this, so, if I am repeating someone simply bypass, If this is your first AK, before spending 1K or more on a "shooter" get a 5-700 dollar shooter to learn with. Shoot it until it doesn't shoot anymore, (may be a while) in the mean time figure out where you want to send you BIG money.... for the second, third shooter.... I have a couple, and they do what I want, pull the trigger and it goes bang. I can hit a steel target at 100 yards just about every time... I don't think I need a 1K or more gun to do that. Just my opinion, not worth more than about 2 cents... lol

(With that being said, I'm waiting on some of the polish AK to come in stock with Atlantic…. then I'll have more AK's lol)
realtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:25 PM   #42
TOts

AKaholic #: 174823

Well, like others have mentioned, I'd go vepr or sam7. I have both and the vepr is the most accurate. They are both extremely well made and fun to shoot. But if you see the theme here go Russian first!
TOts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 06:38 PM   #43
bulldozer1
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 168284

Quote:
Your certainty on the right track I'd say between the sam7 and the vepr there both awesome so you could really just flip a coin to be perfectly honest
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stetchkov View Post
VEPR and SAM7 would be my go to out of your options.
Can't go wrong with either of these.
'sic semper tyrannis'
bulldozer1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:02 PM   #44
boconnor811

AKaholic #: 196658

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOts View Post
go Russian first!
To be honest, I have a soft spot for Russian as it is how Ive always classified the AK since a young age. Additionally, the replies arent making decision easier but seems a good amount indicate Im not way off in the options I had prior to posting. Thanks for all the input guys!
boconnor811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:06 PM   #45
es
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 185924

Quote:
I don't get the huge hubbub over the dimples really has anyone on here ever actually had those tabs the wasrs use fall out or fail them in anyway?
It's not a function thing as much as it is visual. I just don't care for the look of the non-dimpled receiver on an AKM type rifle
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:40 PM   #46
mishaco
Curio & Relic

The SAM7R is the better deal at the moment. Its price hasn't gone up hardly at all in the past 5 years, and it is a factory built AK on a milled receiver.

On the otherhand, while the price on the VEPR has gone up over the past year, new ones are still on the primary market. Once those dry up, the price will continue to rise. Sure it will eventually stabilize out but where?
If you want a Russian gun, this is the best option now. It too is a factory built gun. It is on a stamped receiver and not milled, but it is a heavy 1.5mm w/ thick trunnion. So honestly probably as or more durable than a milled.

Here's the thing, are you planning to buy in the next couple weeks?
Or is this one of those "later" type things?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:18 PM   #47
FalseFlagOps
Patriot

AKaholic #: 194141

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
Here's your simple list

1. VEPR FM - Still available at K-VAR - (RUSSIAN made so get this first)
2. SAM7R - Available both K-VAR and Atlantic
3. WASR - Available at Atlantic
4. SLR107CR - Available at K-VAR and other retailers
This - get a vepr FM while you can or thumbhole and convert or sam7 or both- get the beater wasr or slr107 later, they'll likely still be around awhile-
FalseFlagOps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:24 PM   #48
FalseFlagOps
Patriot

AKaholic #: 194141

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
Yep, exactly. The pattern is for something to climb rapidly in price.....then peek, then usually come back down slightly, and finally stabilize out.
The SGL21 has already done this and prices seem more or less consistant now.
They sure aren't going to be $3k+ rifles next year....not unless something major and bad happens like all AKs are banned.

Sorry but in terms of fit+finish, durability, and shooting/accuracy....the VEPR is superior to the Saiga/SGL.
And there are fewer FM-47-11s in country than SGL21-61s.
FACT=VEPR
FalseFlagOps is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:44 PM   #49
boconnor811

Quote:
Here's the thing, are you planning to buy in the next couple weeks?
Or is this one of those "later" type things?
Im bit by the bug bad. This is probably a days, not weeks, type of thing if I can make up my mind. Unless youre aware of something that would be different that would justify waiting?
Old 06-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #50
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtor View Post
I did NOT read every post above this, so, if I am repeating someone simply bypass, If this is your first AK, before spending 1K or more on a "shooter" get a 5-700 dollar shooter to learn with. Shoot it until it doesn't shoot anymore, (may be a while) in the mean time figure out where you want to send you BIG money.... for the second, third shooter.... I have a couple, and they do what I want, pull the trigger and it goes bang. I can hit a steel target at 100 yards just about every time... I don't think I need a 1K or more gun to do that. Just my opinion, not worth more than about 2 cents... lol

(With that being said, I'm waiting on some of the polish AK to come in stock with Atlantic. then I'll have more AK's lol)
See, here's the problem with that: I did that. $450 on a WASR 10/63. Didn't like it. $600 on a PSAK. It's great, but i was missing the combloc feel, so i bought a WBP. But then, really, milled is so much nicer, so I bought an AAMR. Here I am $3,000 in, when I really could have just started with a SA M7 classic and been $2,000 ahead right now.

Don't low bail if you don't HAVE to. You'll just pay 3x as much in the long run.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 08:57 PM   #51
boconnor811

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
See, here's the problem with that: I did that. $450 on a WASR 10/63. Didn't like it. $600 on a PSAK. It's great, but i was missing the combloc feel, so i bought a WBP. But then, really, milled is so much nicer, so I bought an AAMR. Here I am $3,000 in, when I really could have just started with a SA M7 classic and been $2,000 ahead right now.

Don't low bail if you don't HAVE to. You'll just pay 3x as much in the long run.
Learned this lesson many times in the past as well, dont plan to duplicate it here!
Old 06-20-2018, 09:10 PM   #52
Barth
Likes Suchkas

AKaholic #: 168359

Have an Arsenal SLR-106U pistol (5.56 NATO).
And a Zastava M77 (.308 Winchester).
Both great guns.
The M77 is pure magic

Last edited by Barth; 06-20-2018 at 09:16 PM.
Barth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 09:53 PM   #53
mishaco
Curio & Relic

I was asking about your time table, because it isn't at all uncommon for someone to start AK shopping months in advance. I'll spend 20 minutes with a customer talking about different variants and prices, only to have him say "great, i'll get on on my birthday' which turns out to be in 8-9 weeks.
People think guns are like other things where availability and prices are pretty slow to change.

Like with the VEPR, yeah they are available right now..heck i have 3 -01s and a couple FMs in the store ATM even, but ask me in September? I very well might not have a single one, but on the other hand, i might have more SAM7Rs or even something totally new/fresh that someone like Atlantic imported.
My point is what's true for today, very likely won't be true for very long into the future.

Regarding WASR10s though, I'd not worry about those. Century imported SAR-1s from 1999 until 2003, and you can still find those without much sweat 15 years later.
WASRs? They have been importing those consistantly, non-stop since 2003 right through today. There are probably over 100,000 in the USA....maybe even more, a lot more?
They really have been bringing them in in large numbers for nearly an entire generation.
So yeah, you'll be able to find a WASR for a very long time to come, even if importation ends tomorrow.

Agreeing 100%, if you can afford a SAM7R or AF circle11 or VEPR FM, hey 'buy once, cry once' is a truism I live by.
Besides, money in the bank is boring and they pay shit for interest these days anyway.
Old 06-20-2018, 10:05 PM   #54
RUSSIAN AK FAN
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176305

107cr
WASR
Convert a Saiga IZ-132 or Vepr slantback.

Vepr FMs and SGLs are enthusiast rifles, not everyday shooter/first AKs, IMO.

BTW, Russian AKs ain’t coming back. Sure, you can hope for the ban to be lifted, but you know what they say about hoping....

.......something about hoping in one hand and shitting in the other....

RUSSIAN AK FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:25 PM   #55
Claymore
Right-Winger with a Rifle

AKaholic #: 186415

WASR or WBP

John 14:6

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:05 PM   #56
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

The Polish guns are at Atlantic now. That is another option.

OP, I promise even if you bought a wasr you’d like it.

If you did get a half ugly wasr I know you’d shoot the shot out of it.

I am a believer in junk guns. Get a bunch of shitty wasrs and don’t look back. Get 2. Shoot one and save the other one for a bad day.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///

pistol caliber carbines/ submachine guns are still good. Even in semi auto. Just ask the British SAS.
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:22 PM   #57
Bullseye01
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182460

No matter which the OP buys first he will then buy another and then another. We all remember what it was like getting drawn in to akm's and always wanting "just one more". With that said my opinion is if he has shot an akm before and knows he likes shooting that style rifle I'd go for the Vepr. As previously stated the rest other than Saiga aren't going anywhere anytime soon. If money isn't a deciding factor I'd get the Vepr and if it is I'd get a Sar-1. Don't forget to set aside money for a good stash of mags and ammo. Lots and lots of ammo.....
Bullseye01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 11:27 PM   #58
Dcrosle1

AKaholic #: 178721

I'd just get the VEPR fm. The SAM got that pencil barrel. Just get the VEPR. I would get one but I honestly don't think it'll do anything better than my OPAP will. If you can get an OPAP or even better a MAK90 for a decent price that's also a great option. If you want something lighter get a 107fr or WASR.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:14 AM   #59
Coats
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188748

Quote:
Yep, exactly. The pattern is for something to climb rapidly in price.....then peek, then usually come back down slightly, and finally stabilize out.
The SGL21 has already done this and prices seem more or less consistant now.
They sure aren't going to be $3k+ rifles next year....not unless something major and bad happens like all AKs are banned.

Sorry but in terms of fit+finish, durability, and shooting/accuracy....the VEPR is superior to the Saiga/SGL.
And there are fewer FM-47-11s in country than SGL21-61s.

Ding ding ding
Old 06-21-2018, 01:35 AM   #60
Kit Carson

AKaholic #: 195746

To the OP,

Fixed stock: WASR or Mak 90
Reason: Affordable and very reliable. You can buy a used WASR and a used Mak 90 for the price of some of the guns you listed. Yes, those guns you listed are superior....but you wouldn't regret going with a WASR and a Mak 90 instead of one nicer rifle.

Underfolder: M70AB2
Reason: Serbs make nice underfolders and this one can accept night sights
Kit Carson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 02:49 AM   #61
PolyMAK

AKaholic #: 194684

For a first AK? A decent Norinco MAK-90 is pretty hard to beat.....especially when you can still find them (pawn shops are best) for under $800. That was my first AK 20 years ago and still the best bang AK for the buck now.
PolyMAK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:41 AM   #62
noah's arc

AKaholic #: 189256

So after a new WASR, an Arsenal 107R-11, a Romanian MD63 kit build, and the nefarious CII AMD63, and lastly a MAK 90, I would go MAK 90 every single time. If it was the only one I owned I would have no regrets.

Look for straight cut, but if not then the slant cut and get a hold of the cats at Desert Fox sales for an adapter that will take any tube/stock you want or have IronWood designs make a stock. Or, scrounge for the unobtainium of Chicom. You will never regret your decision and the MAK will always be worth something to the right buyer. BFLV has examples that are still going strong after 20K plus rounds.
noah's arc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:58 AM   #63
Trvrswsr1234

AKaholic #: 193880

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post

THIS

I did the same thing here OP I bought a wasr 10 then a draco-c and then put money into them of course before I got my sam7uf

Don't get me wrong my romy guns work just fine and I do like them but when I look at what I invested in trying to go cheap at first if I could go back I'd buy my sam7 and another quality rifle like a vepr or chim com and have less rifles that I love instead of more rifles that I like
Trvrswsr1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:21 AM   #64
Oldsalt

AKaholic #: 194552

My first AK was an NPAP that I picked up at The Ft. Lauderdale gun show last summer for $475 NIB.

I love shooting the damned thing, the fit and finish is very good, and after 2100 rounds through it it's been holding up beautifully in all the "wear spots".

I've got a SAM7R as well that I picked up last December and also put just over 2000 rounds through and IMO, it's a terrific rifle by any measure, none of which takes anything away from the NPAP.

The NPAP is the rifle that got me hooked on AKs and I'll certainly be buying more AKs in the future while continuing to enjoy shooting the NPAP.

Last edited by Oldsalt; 06-21-2018 at 09:30 AM.
Oldsalt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:22 AM   #65
RMiller
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170327

Mental masturbation.

Join the GOA
RMiller is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:29 AM   #66
Sabre5G
The Mouth of Sauron

AKaholic #: 181719

The SAM7SF i held at the gun shop in El Pisso had cool quad rails. I was stunned it was so light.

The Side Folding mechanism was super tight. I would have had to use a tool to unlock it because it was brand new.

The only thing I was disappointed in the SAM7SF was the barrel was the same as an AKM. I was stunned. Now you can tie the barrel in knots and all but to me it looked wrong.

Zenith Z5RS MP5, PTR91 GIR, PTR91 K3P PDW, SLR104FR, VEPR 545 20.5, VEPR 762 20.5, 91/30, WASR 10, O PAP, M92, M70AB2, PSA AR15 Mid Length, SIG P320, G19, VP9
-//////-///

pistol caliber carbines/ submachine guns are still good. Even in semi auto. Just ask the British SAS.
Sabre5G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:48 AM   #67
Baba Louie
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 55033

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMiller View Post
Mental masturbation.
Is that a ComBloc mfg AK or a Made In USA beast? M+M? muahahaha

If I were buying my first today...?

Well, back in the day I bought my first, CHEAP!

Damned cheap chicom AKS back in '86.

So... I'd go cheap (and pray they are soon banned thereafter?) muahahaha (Hey! it happened to me twice. PolyTech and my Mitchell)

But there's that school of thought to buy once cry once...

Pretty sure it'd have to be combloc mfg... (or from orig factory if not commie today)
Old 06-21-2018, 10:20 AM   #68
Jeddak

AKaholic #: 195094

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOts View Post
Well, like others have mentioned, I'd go vepr or sam7. I have both and the vepr is the most accurate. They are both extremely well made and fun to shoot. But if you see the theme here go Russian first!
OP--You see a trend? My first AK was a 20" Robinson Arms slant-cut Vepr. It is the most accurate AK I own. Paid $550 for it back in early 2000s. 16.5" were not available already. That was right before Molot stopped exporting to US in the 2004, IIRC. Restarted later on.

Sam7 is nice, but Vepr is more accurate, I have both.
Slant cut Vepr can still be bought for $900 and converted to take regular mags for less than $100
. FM-11 fixed stock will run $1400 (it was $1000 before the ban), FM-21 folder $1600 now (was $1200 before the ban).

I have a converted Saiga. Still like Vepr much more.

My order of preference:
Vepr FM-47-21
Atlantic Arm Polish builds (Beryl is awesome) AA have the best finish of all the AKs I handled.
Sam7FR
Rest.

I never bothered with Serbian (no CL barrels) or Romanian. WASR is a decent rifle, but if you are like me and intend to pass your rifle to your kids, cry once, buy once.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:20 AM   #69
hansellhd
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163202

VEPR-FM, SAM7 & WPB in that order. If I was starting out I would want all three of them.
Always go top shelf then you won't be wanting something better down the road.

Last edited by hansellhd; 06-21-2018 at 12:10 PM.
hansellhd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #70
uofaengr

AKaholic #: 185992

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlemagne View Post
At this point it doesn't seem likely that sanctions will be dropped. But that is a possibility that makes buying an SGL21 as an investment a greater risk than just the usual market fluctuations.

Actually I would rather have a gun to use than as an "investment" no matter what the prospects are on a return.
Gotta understand there's some that's been watching GB and pimping the SGL hard the past few months in nearly every thread getting the newbs worked up thinking they're going to cash in for $10k next year.

To the OP, I don't see anything wrong with getting a WASR as a starter AK to see if you even like them, but I also believe in buy once, cry once. A WASR makes a good beater AK that you don't need to worry about beating up or scratching up if you want to practice working on it or if you're rough on it in general.

On the other hand, a WASR could sour someone on AKs altogether if they have no hands-on experience with other AKs because they are definitely rough around the edges in comparison to some higher priced options.

My first AK was a SLR-107FR because I thought it was going to be my only AK, and I don't regret it...of course they didn't cost then what they cost now...but it's the standard I judge my other AKs by because it's a very nice and smooth gun. I also own a SAM7R which is very nice, but if I was to keep one I'd lean 107FR due to its features and it's closer to a true military clone than the SAM7R in its stock configuration, but that's just me.
uofaengr is online now   Reply With Quote