Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 08-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #1
rifleisfine

AKaholic #: 197007
Default Rifle Dynamics 501 Series

I'm looking to get a 501 series rifle from RD to use as my 5.45 shooter - I would like to keep my SGL31 in pristine shape.

Does anyone have experience with these rifles? I'd love to hear opinions on them. Thanks!
rifleisfine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:07 PM   #2
amadeus76

AKaholic #: 156187

What exactly are you asking? They're fantasic rifles, but at over $2,000 wildly overpriced... You'd find it far cheaper to just buy a AK74 parts kit and have a reputable builder put it together for you.
amadeus76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 04:39 PM   #3
Duke1973

AKaholic #: 195781

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
What exactly are you asking? They're fantasic rifles, but at over $2,000 wildly overpriced... You'd find it far cheaper to just buy a AK74 parts kit and have a reputable builder put it together for you.
I agree, RD may be the shit but I’ll never know! When you can build the gun for $650 yourself or send it to a builder and still have under a grand in a quality build. That price just seems bloated for having said name on it?
Old 08-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #4
Unit28
(((DB)))

AKaholic #: 176712

Get a kit with an og barrel, they pop up. If you can’t find one maybe kvar has some 5.45 barrels ,still cheaper to have someone build an all Bulgarian component 74 w/ a Childress receiver and triangle folder, ( or find a 104fr used ).
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:25 PM   #5
jeff_smallmon

AKaholic #: 195311

Ive used one and its worth it. If you want something thats guaranteed to work and be the best it can be out of the box buy one....... if you want to be cheap and bargain bin shop go elsewhere...... most folks in here can’t afford one and don’t shoot enough to ever warrant having one.
jeff_smallmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:49 PM   #6
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_smallmon View Post
Ive used one and its worth it. If you want something thats guaranteed to work and be the best it can be out of the box buy one....... if you want to be cheap and bargain bin shop go elsewhere...... most folks in here canít afford one and donít shoot enough to ever warrant having one.
Exactly what factory 5.45 rifles are problematic .
Most shoot out if the box and most shoot the same as a RD rifle.

If a guy wants to spend a few grand so he won't scratch his other rigle that's his call but the notion that a RD is some how much more reliable is a streach. If a RD uses a factory barrel it's going to shoot about the same.

Most folks here don't need a AK period . They want one so if they want a RD and have the cash go for it .
How much you shoot is irelivant .
Your already paying a lot for the basic choices.
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:50 PM   #7
Unit28
(((DB)))

Quote:
Ive used one and its worth it. If you want something thats guaranteed to work and be the best it can be out of the box buy one....... if you want to be cheap and bargain bin shop go elsewhere...... most folks in here canít afford one and donít shoot enough to ever warrant having one.
Lol
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Old 08-09-2018, 08:19 PM   #8
amadeus76

Quote:
And that gentlemen, is what we call an elitist gun snob...
Old 08-09-2018, 10:28 PM   #9
Plagued

AKaholic #: 173075

I have a RD74 and a SGL31. I shoot them both and they both function the same. My RD74 is now a super slimmed down scout type rifle with night sights. The SGL31 is a close match but heavier with a larger magazine, normal sights and longer barrel.

Both are a blast to shoot.

Plagued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 11:33 AM   #10
CKxx

AKaholic #: 17672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke1973 View Post
I agree, RD may be the shit but I’ll never know! When you can build the gun for $650 yourself or send it to a builder and still have under a grand in a quality build. That price just seems bloated for having said name on it?
Don't forget dude, they'll put that stupid viper GB on it for you.

Edit: "most folks can't afford one." Lol. Trying to justify poor decisions.
CKxx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:22 PM   #11
SBRad

AKaholic #: 188220

Pretty sure RD uses Morrissey receivers and 4140 GM barrels. Yep, sounds like lower priced parts to me. Looks like their $2200 build includes a ďtunedĒ action.
SBRad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #12
Kvjavs
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170418

Quote:

The same guy who thinks the NPAP DF is good to go.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint View Post
For a small fee I'll do anything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak-74hero View Post
Dave gets the last laugh as he wipes his balls on every rifle that goes out the door.
Kvjavs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:56 PM   #13
corruptgarage

AKaholic #: 183907

Quote:
most folks in here canít afford one and donít shoot enough to ever warrant having one.
Old 08-10-2018, 01:02 PM   #14
amadeus76

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBRad View Post
Pretty sure RD uses Morrissey receivers and 4140 GM barrels. Yep, sounds like lower priced parts to me. Looks like their $2200 build includes a “tuned” action.
So does Century. By that logic, fuck it all and just buy yourself a C39. If you're that worried, go buy a Green Mountain barrel for $20 more than a OEM Bulgarian barrel (cuz you'll have to buy the barrel separate anyway) and have your chosen builder use that one...

Let's be honest here, new builders/manufacturers often start out with fairly decent prices that go up drastically once they've built a reputation. It often isn't because they're 2-3 times better than anyone else, it's because of their name alone.

Last edited by amadeus76; 08-10-2018 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-10-2018, 02:19 PM   #15
Wagrn

AKaholic #: 195925

I have one in 5.56 and love the balance and way it shoots. With the 5.45 prices the way they are and with there build times having gone down drastically I see a 501 in my future.
Wagrn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #16
JoeCorrado
FNG

AKaholic #: 193119

Quote:
Quoted for the laughs.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:04 PM   #17
voron
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 174098

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1biggun View Post

Most folks here don't need a AK period . They want one so if they want a RD and have the cash go for it .
How much you shoot is irelivant .
Your already paying a lot for the basic choices.

did happy hour kick in earlier?

BAN SIG 2017

voron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 03:49 PM   #18
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

I own a small manufacturing company (not gun related) so I understand people criticizing and not understanding how much things cost. There's a lot of factors that go into how pricing is set. Cost of materials, cost of labor, overhead etc. How much a competitor across town can provide the product for doesn't factor into how I bid projects. I know what my production capability is and what profit margins have to be there in order for me to stay in business and prosper.

I don't know what RD pays for parts kits, barrels, misc parts, receivers, what they pay their employees, how much the rent/mortgage is on the property, or anything else as far as their business is concerned. The price they sell rifles for may very well be what they have to sell them at in order to be profitable.

With that said, I would not be willing to pay that kind of money for a build with a Green Mountain barrel, and the Venom Tactical bolt on gas block....and I have a gun with a Morrissey receiver, I have a Green Mountain barrel, and I've used the Venom bolt on gas block. A shop the size of RD charging what they charge for their rifles should be offering a pressed on gas block front sight combo. The Venom bolt on units make the guns look home brewed, which is fine on my guns cause that's what they are, home brews. Once they're in place I drill and pin them like a regular gas block. They are out of place on a custom or production gun.
As for all the traditional douchebags that seem to think people care to read your thoughts about the nostaglia, reliability and mistique of good ol' steel and wood - we don't. We simply don't care. Go take your BP meds, Dulcolax suppository, eat a flaming turd and take a nap.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:02 PM   #19
Billlyb

AKaholic #: 185161

Yeah but the (tuned action )is priceless ??
Just get a vepr
Can’t go wronge!!!
Billlyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 02:06 AM   #20
kalieracer
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 6495

it's true... You can have a better one built for less money... Shit you could just sent in your trunnion / bolt / barrel and parts and have a smith crown and headspace it. It would come out better and you could assemble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBRad View Post
Pretty sure RD uses Morrissey receivers and 4140 GM barrels. Yep, sounds like lower priced parts to me. Looks like their $2200 build includes a ďtunedĒ action.
kalieracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:11 AM   #21
4000dollarAK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 192528

youre not sick enuff OP..i bought a 1000 dollar slr106 just to chop off a few parts and use to build my folding zenit 223 pistol just so i can have a 4150 nitrided barrel, and my custom engraved childers receiver the exact same as i do on my 4000dollarak. 1biggun personally approved of this!
4000dollarAK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:13 AM   #22
wade2big

AKaholic #: 188836

OP, you want to save a $1500 rifle and not shoot it but spend over $2000 for a shooter. This makes no sense. Why not buy a second sgl31 if you want to keep one “pretty” and enjoy the Russian rifle like it should be enjoyed. You would save money by shooting your SGL and devaluing it a few hundred bucks than you would spending over 2 grand on another rifle. Reminds me of the guys that bought a car when fuel prices were way up several years ago to save money on gas. That math doesn’t work out. No wonder most people are broke.

Now OP if you just want another rifle and this rifle dynamic rifle is calling your name then by all means get it. If it is to keep up the value of the SGL then that is economically stupid as your SGL will probably never appreciate enough in value to ever break even much less make you a rich man if you were to sell it.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 10:22 AM   #23
jeff_smallmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
And that gentlemen, is what we call an elitist gun snob...

Butthurt much sir? Hard to be an elitist on e-5 pay. Have a good one!
Old 08-11-2018, 10:26 AM   #24
jeff_smallmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kvjavs View Post

The same guy who thinks the NPAP DF is good to go.

Yup 6k still runs fine try again?
Old 08-11-2018, 01:08 PM   #25
Romy_G

Quote:
Yup 6k still runs fine try again?
6K? Those are rookies numbers.
As for all the traditional douchebags that seem to think people care to read your thoughts about the nostaglia, reliability and mistique of good ol' steel and wood - we don't. We simply don't care. Go take your BP meds, Dulcolax suppository, eat a flaming turd and take a nap.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:21 PM   #26
jeff_smallmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy_G View Post
6K? Those are rookies numbers.

Its enough to know id the rifle is going to be worth a shit or not. I picked one up with the full intention of beating it to death. So far it lives......
Old 08-11-2018, 03:04 PM   #27
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Paying that much money for a gun that you can only zero once is stupid IMO.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #28
jeff_smallmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
Just like any other Kalashnikov the front sight blades are replaceable and they are in the final testing phases of an actual adjustable fsgb combo.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #29
Cartel
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 164753

They are good to go, my friend.

Quote:
Amen
Cartel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:03 PM   #30
SBRad

AKaholic #: 188220

Guys, I just don’t see paying $2200 for a 501 when considering the cost of the parts that RD uses. I’m not saying Morrissey and a 4140 US made barrell and not functional. I’m saying there are better quality parts available that should be included for $2200 bucks.

Anybody know where RD gets their front trunions from? For $2200, I hope they are forged combloc (Polish or Bulgarian) or Sharps Bros. How about bolts and carriers?

Again, I’m not saying your RD rifles suck. Just that there are better quality parts available and several top notch builders out there that don’t charge such high prices.
SBRad is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 04:13 PM   #31
Unit28
(((DB)))

Take that 2200$ and buy some kits and tooling, who has just 2 AKs??
If I had to guess there are hundreds of people here, who could build you a better gun at half the price.
Including you.
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Old 08-11-2018, 04:20 PM   #32
Billlyb

AKaholic #: 185161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wagrn View Post
I have one in 5.56 and love the balance and way it shoots. With the 5.45 prices the way they are and with there build times having gone down drastically I see a 501 in my future.
Billlyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 07:06 PM   #33
Romy_G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
I don't think those should be on a $2000 custom build though when they have the ability to easily press on a sight gas block combo. However the front sight post is replaceable. I've used the Venom combo and just ordered a replacement with it just in case.
Old 08-12-2018, 10:54 AM   #34
1biggun
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 6541

I don't see any non rare non collectable sheet metal reciever AK worth more than about $800 .

A original hammer forged barrel with chrome lining dies not make any AK that much more special if any thing it might make it less accurate .

There is no stock , gas block , wiz bang sight, special hand guard or any other item aside from maybe a quality optic that makes a kit built AK on a reciver that costs $20 to make
worth this kind of money.

When I see a plastic furniture clad ,sheet metal receiver, barrel worth $50 AK going for dumb money I think the value is not there.

Guys who pay over a grand for modifed Saiga with no collector value leave me puzzled .

I know quality work costs money but setting 13 rivets , pressing on or adding a few ready made parts parts and a spray on finish dosent equal $2200.

Tuned action ??
Is the bolt face machined true to the bore ? Is the firing pin true to the bore? Is the rails fitted to some degree of percision , is every trigger a ounce of each other with say .005 of allowable tolerance in pre travel or is this some sales gimic for they knocked off some rough spots here and there.
What custom machine work or hand fitting is involved here??

My guess is maybe 5 minutes more care than a factory givesgives in fucastan.

A GM barrel costs about $25 to make maybe $40 if it's nitrited or chromed.

Look at what else $2200 can get in the gun world.
Hand checkering, engraving, fine finish and bluing, a fire arm with a $350 blank as the base of its barrel, good accuray ,a trigger that's consistant and lots of other features that add up to quality .

There are some air soft rifles that have quality equal to some of the stuff I see on AK,s these days.

Yes you pay for a name or reputation.
Is a Jesse James fire arm Wirth the extra money ?? To the guy buying it maybe not to any one with a clue.

I don't know what the sum of part are on a AK 74 these days but I can build one with good quality as reliable for about $600 I'm guessing. So is it worth $1400 extra to have some one assemble one ?? How much does the name add to its actual value ??
Clearly a reputable builder putting his name on a rifle makes it more valuable from a cost point. What that value is adds is the question .
1biggun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 12:26 PM   #35
hoovdizzle

AKaholic #: 181475

as others have stated, you can find a functional 74 for less than an RD.

yes, RD guns are nice and work. their moly resin finish is very durable and attractive.

you best option might still be to get a parts kit and have it built. there are many builders here on the forum.

"Let the retards buy retarded rifles so at least they die faster if we go to war against retards" -Sabre5G
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote