Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 07-22-2018, 07:24 PM   #1
amadeus76

AKaholic #: 156187
Default ALG triggers vs Tapco G2?

For those that have experience with both, whatís your opinion of the ALG triggers compared to the Tapco G2? I have a G2 in my AKís and Iíve been very happy with them. That said I did consider picking up an ALG trigger but am finding it hard to justify spending an extra $50+ over the cost of a G2 for another single stage trigger. The G2 has a short reset and a clean reliable break, so what really is the difference?
amadeus76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:26 PM   #2
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

I have both, I bought several ALG's when they were on sale. They are nice ( little better than the G2 IMO) but I couldn't ever justify the extra cost over a G2 for a run of the mill build.

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 09:35 PM   #3
wade2big
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188836

Quote:
Originally Posted by amadeus76 View Post
For those that have experience with both, what’s your opinion of the ALG triggers compared to the Tapco G2? I have a G2 in my AK’s and I’ve been very happy with them. That said I did consider picking up an ALG trigger but am finding it hard to justify spending an extra $50+ over the cost of a G2 for another single stage trigger. The G2 has a short reset and a clean reliable break, so what really is the difference?
A G2 trigger does not have a nice break. It is a long smooth trigger with no noticeable break. It is not a bad trigger for an ak compared to other ak triggers but all ak triggers suck. I have a few rifles with them. I had a few alg trigger when they were $50 and sold all of them. I liked the short press and short reset but the trigger is way to light for this type of rifle.
wade2big is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:12 PM   #4
amadeus76

AKaholic #: 156187

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
A G2 trigger does not have a nice break. It is a long smooth trigger with no noticeable break. It is not a bad trigger for an ak compared to other ak triggers but all ak triggers suck. I have a few rifles with them. I had a few alg trigger when they were $50 and sold all of them. I liked the short press and short reset but the trigger is way to light for this type of rifle.
Iím not sure I can agree... None of my G2 triggers are long, and they have clean reliable breaks. Theyíre certainly not Geisseleís but they do the job. But anyway, my question was about the ALG and if it was worth the increase in cost over the G2.
amadeus76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:16 PM   #5
specz79
Director of Awesome
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 169416

Quote:
Iím not sure I can agree... None of my G2 triggers are long, and they have clean reliable breaks. Theyíre certainly not Geisseleís but they do the job. But anyway, my question was about the ALG and if it was worth the increase in cost over the G2.
An ALG has a very short break, comparatively the G2 is "long".

Nec Bonum Nec Malum Vagina Gallium Facit

Corruptissima Re Publica Plurimae Leges
specz79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:28 PM   #6
wade2big
Veteran Member

Quote:
I’m not sure I can agree... None of my G2 triggers are long, and they have clean reliable breaks. They’re certainly not Geissele’s but they do the job. But anyway, my question was about the ALG and if it was worth the increase in cost over the G2.
I answered your question in my post.

A clean break would be you apply pressure to the trigger. It doesn’t move, then all of the sudden. Crack. That is a clean break. A g2 trigger has a long smooth pull and then the hammer drops. You can’t feel when it is about to happen. You may be able to guess when the hammer will fall but that’s about it. This is typical of most Ak triggers including a Chinese trigger that everyone likes. It’s the way it is. A glock trigger would be an example of a mushy trigger. All are usable.
Old 07-22-2018, 11:30 PM   #7
pistolman1974

AKaholic #: 18720

The ALG has very little pre-travel and a more predictable "break" I think it's worth the extra money.
pistolman1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:36 PM   #8
Maadi

AKaholic #: 193622

Quote:
Originally Posted by wade2big View Post
I answered your question in my post.

A clean break would be you apply pressure to the trigger. It doesn’t move, then all of the sudden. Crack. That is a clean break. A g2 trigger has a long smooth pull and then the hammer drops. You can’t feel when it is about to happen. You may be able to guess when the hammer will fall but that’s about it. This is typical of most Ak triggers including a Chinese trigger that everyone likes. It’s the way it is. A glock trigger would be an example of a mushy trigger. All are usable.
I’ve got a few G2’s, and I agree with the statements above (except the Glock blasphemy ;- ).

It’s a smooth, light trigger with almost no warning of the break, similar to the Chinese triggers. For precision target shooting that’s probably a really good thing, but it depends on what you like. For $25 it’s a wonderful trigger though. For only a few dollars more you can get the RAK-1 trigger, which is more like a two stage.
Maadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 11:41 PM   #9
wade2big
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
Iíve got a few G2ís, and I agree with the statements above (except the Glock blasphemy ;- ).

Itís a smooth, light trigger with almost no warning of the break, similar to the Chinese triggers. For precision target shooting thatís probably a really good thing, but it depends on what you like. For $25 itís a wonderful trigger though. For only a few dollars more you can get the RAK-1 trigger, which is more like a two stage.
I prefer single stage triggers but I would rather have a double stage trigger where you can feel the wall than a single stage that comes standard in Akís. I may need to try a rak1. Maybe I will put a WTT add in the marketplace and see if anyone bites.

Donít worry. I am a glock fan mushy trigger and all. Lol
Old 07-23-2018, 05:44 AM   #10
KCTate08

AKaholic #: 186906

FWIW, I have RAK-1 triggers in all my AKs. I like the contour of the hammer (no wear on the carrier tail) and the feel of a 2-stage trigger. And I've had no breakage of anything as some had predicted. The only thing I'm not crazy about is the hammer spring. I prefer a braided spring, so that adds to the cost for me.
KCTate08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #11
ArtGuy

AKaholic #: 190991
Default Nope

Quote:
For those that have experience with both, whatís your opinion of the ALG triggers compared to the Tapco G2? I have a G2 in my AKís and Iíve been very happy with them. That said I did consider picking up an ALG trigger but am finding it hard to justify spending an extra $50+ over the cost of a G2 for another single stage trigger. The G2 has a short reset and a clean reliable break, so what really is the difference?
From my experience it's not worth the extra money. Nothing against the ALG triggers and they run fine but not worth anything extra.
ArtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2018, 11:07 AM   #12
Coats
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188748

ALG I can rip pretty quick double taps thanks to the short reset no creep. I did not have to modify or file anything. It was a simple drop-in. I think for $50-$60 to upgrade your trigger its a win over the G2.
Old 07-23-2018, 11:20 AM   #13
Veprheavy
custom manipulator of fabrication

AKaholic #: 194357

the base model alg is a better trigger then tapco g2.both will work and are somewhat light for break g2 is about 3.5 pounds , alg is about 2.5 pounds ( pull weight).the take up and reset is quicker on a alg then tapco.i believe both triggers are " cast" parts that are harder then most tails on bolt carriers.
Old 07-23-2018, 05:08 PM   #14
Mikelawtown
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179935

RAK-1
Mikelawtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 07:16 AM   #15
jwalker

AKaholic #: 194118

Many are saying that Tapco is tearing up carrier tails on their AK's. I have a Tapco G2 on my WASR 10, my first AK, but I might swap it out for an ALG. I am not hating on Tapco, but I do not want to use something that I thought would be an upgrade that actually mucks up my rifle. I plan on using ALG triggers on any future AK I get.
jwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:10 AM   #16
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

The Tapco G2 and the RAK 1 from Century in my opinion are just a very basic upgrade from the factory combloc triggers that come with most parts kits. The big advantage to them is 922r compliance for builders. Neither are anything to get excited about.

The ALG is the first aftermarket AK trigger that I was actually impressed by. I have Geissele triggers in a couple AR's and the ALG(which is Geissele's sister company) is a very high quality upgrade that's well worth the $65 unless you're on a Ramen and Pork and Beans budget.
As for all the traditional douchebags that seem to think people care to read your thoughts about the nostaglia, reliability and mistique of good ol' steel and wood - we don't. We simply don't care. Go take your BP meds, Dulcolax suppository, eat a flaming turd and take a nap.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #17
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor

AKaholic #: 159575

I've had very good experiences with the Tapco G2 trigger's. Even better once you polished them!

I also have the new FIME 2 stage trigger group that Arsenal/K-VAR sells. I installed it in one of my builds. I like it...
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #18
cal50
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2400

The ALG has different geometry and results in a shorter travel distance to break a shot.
A short reset and light weight make it a nice rapid fire capable trigger.

I have use the Tapco's and they work fine but my "goto" USA trigger is the ALG in all my guns.
Old 08-10-2018, 04:37 PM   #19
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veprheavy View Post
the base model alg is a better trigger then tapco g2.both will work and are somewhat light for break g2 is about 3.5 pounds , alg is about 2.5 pounds ( pull weight).the take up and reset is quicker on a alg then tapco.i believe both triggers are " cast" parts that are harder then most tails on bolt carriers.
They are case hardened. I cant say wether theyre cast or not but its the surface hardening is what causes the carrier tail deformation. People have beeb reprofiling the G2s for years to take care of this issue.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:56 PM   #20
Longshot725
Patriot
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

Has ALG beefed up their disconnector? Mine snapped after about 300 rounds.

ALG's solution was for me to modify my AK.

I replaced it with an Arsenal disconnector instead. Works great now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
...Go to hell. Enjoy the ban. Get tapeworm.
Support The AK Files Server!!!
Get yourself some shirts!
CLICK HERE
Longshot725 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:07 PM   #21
MattK512
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178705

Quote:
I like my ALG Triggers and have 3 or 4 now. BUT - I can't say they are that much better than the G2s I have on my other AKs. The G2 has a bit more creep, but is still a better trigger than say a off the rack AR trigger. A polished or worn in G2 is pretty damn nice.

when they put G2s in most AKs needing 922r, I kept them. If I got something without a G2, I just looked at the cost difference as an upgrade price and got the ALG. I do like that the G2 drops into just about anything without stupid roll pins.

Roll Pins are for ARs. I've noticed that all my Saiga's take the ALG w/out a roll pin though.

I think the only trigger I've not touched was my M92's PAP factory trigger...
MattK512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 11:03 AM   #22
Stetchkov

AKaholic #: 186466

ALG triggers seem to be lighter than the G2 from my experience but both are fairly smooth. If I could only have 1 in all rifles it would be the ALGs.
Stetchkov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:47 PM   #23
Maadi

AKaholic #: 193622

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy_G View Post
The Tapco G2 and the RAK 1 from Century in my opinion are just a very basic upgrade from the factory combloc triggers that come with most parts kits. The big advantage to them is 922r compliance for builders. Neither are anything to get excited about.

The ALG is the first aftermarket AK trigger that I was actually impressed by. I have Geissele triggers in a couple AR's and the ALG(which is Geissele's sister company) is a very high quality upgrade that's well worth the $65 unless you're on a Ramen and Pork and Beans budget.
Iím going to disagree with that first part. 922r is not the reason I upgraded my Draco pistol trigger. At least when it comes to Romanian triggers, the G2 or RAK-1 triggers are a massive upgrade!
Maadi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 04:36 PM   #24
Romy_G

AKaholic #: 195355

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
Iím going to disagree with that first part. 922r is not the reason I upgraded my Draco pistol trigger. At least when it comes to Romanian triggers, the G2 or RAK-1 triggers are a massive upgrade!
I'm glad you like them, but calling them a "massive upgrade!" is a bit of a stretch.
As for all the traditional douchebags that seem to think people care to read your thoughts about the nostaglia, reliability and mistique of good ol' steel and wood - we don't. We simply don't care. Go take your BP meds, Dulcolax suppository, eat a flaming turd and take a nap.
Romy_G is online now   Reply With Quote