Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 03-19-2017, 04:02 AM   #36
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3738

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
^ How does Rebellin rate next to Ubuntu for ease of install, finding drivers easily, and operation for noobs??

I never got Mandriva working, or a few others and gave up on them out of aggravation

Tried Mint, thought it really sucked
The newer versions of Mint might be better. They might not though. Mint is one man's opinion of how he thinks people want to use their computers. The interface is a custom one that had some issues early on, but has gotten better. He developed it and then based Mint on using it. Mint has other versions, but they look the same. It is basically a reskinned version of Ubuntu and versions based on Ubuntu. Mint changed the way it updates, or how often it updates, compared to the original version.

Rebellion Linux was developed as a commercial product. It runs fast for all it has.

I have a really slow netbook with Windows XP. Avast might be acceptable if it installed stripped down to the base antivirus program, without the antispyware and other features.

The base version of Avira is more functional and faster. It includes the antispyware.

The default installation of Avast includes a bunch of software.

The default installation of Avira is similar, but doesn't slow the computer as much.

I do use Avast with Windows 10.

I find Avira a better choice for Windows XP.

Avast is good for installing on virus infected computers and has good virus removal.

Avira protection is just as good as Avast when the computer is not infected when Avira is installed.

Avast does check for and downloads virus definition updates.

I think Avast checks every 4 hours.

Avira checks once or twice a day.

SuperAntiSpyware is only an on demand scanner in the free version, but it causes fewer software and operating system conflicts than Malwarebytes.

It works well for cleaning up systems.
Old 03-19-2017, 08:48 AM   #37
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod M1 View Post
Install Linux and don't worry about it.
+ 1
On a dinosaur computer like that, hit it with Lubuntu. If all you want to do is use the internet, there's Chrome and Firefox browser for Linux and you'll never even know you aren't in windoze.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lone Eagle View Post
Even the latest Ubuntu with WINE won't run it.
They've made some good progress with playonlinux/playonmac. I use it at work for software we've only got licenses for windows computers. Right out of the box, it'll run the latest photoshop CS installer, photoshop, and IDAPro 32 and 64 bits.

Last edited by giantpune; 03-19-2017 at 09:07 AM.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:29 AM   #38
CactusCapt

AKaholic #: 1932

Installed LXLE on an old Thinkpad T41. Specifically designed for old XP machines that may have driver issues. Worked like a charm and is very fast on the installed 2gb RAM.

http://www.lxle.net/
CactusCapt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:22 AM   #39
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

Quote:
Originally Posted by CactusCapt View Post
Installed LXLE on an old Thinkpad T41. Specifically designed for old XP machines that may have driver issues. Worked like a charm and is very fast on the installed 2gb RAM.

http://www.lxle.net/
do you think that would work as a bootable thumb drive set-up??
6526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:50 AM   #40
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6526 View Post
do you think that would work as a bootable thumb drive set-up??
Like others, it does. It's based on Ubuntu, which supports the newer UFEI computers, but it is not as fast Rebellion Linux. Right now Rebellion doesn't support booting the newer computers in UFEI mode, the next version should. For older computers, that won't matter.

For a thumb drive, make sure it is big enough for the DVD image and more.

Make sure it is clean and fully formatted.

New thumb drives are best.

Used ones don't always get fully formatted, even when full formatting is run on them.

Format the thumb drive in FAT32.

You can use UNetbootin.

https://unetbootin.github.io

UNetbootin allows you to create bootable Live USB drives for Ubuntu, Fedora, and other Linux distributions without burning a CD. The application is cross-platform and is available for Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. You can either let UNetbootin download one of the many distributions supported out-of-the-box for you, or supply your own Linux .ISO file.

Built-in support for automatically downloading and loading the following distributions:

Ubuntu.
Linux Mint.
openSUSE.
Arch Linux.
Debian.

UNetbootin loads distributions either by downloading a ISO (CD image) files for you, or by using an ISO file you've already downloaded.Simply select a .ISO file or a distribution to download, select a target drive (USB Drive or Hard Disk), then reboot once it has completed.

Not only can UNetbootin create a bootable Live USB drive, but it also can be used to load various system utilities, including:

Parted Magic.
SystemRescueCD.
Super Grub Disk.
Dr.Web Antivirus.
F-Secure Rescue CD.
Kaspersky Rescue Disk.
Backtrack.
Ophcrack.
NTPasswd.
Gujin.
Smart Boot Manager.
FreeDOS.

https://therebellin.com/questions/qu...ity-content-79

You can use UNetbootin with Linux versions not on the drop down menu, but you will have to download the iso first. A little more than half way down on the UNetbootin screen is the option select your own iso. Use this option to select your downloaded iso and continue as usual.

https://unetbootin.github.io
Old 03-21-2017, 09:41 AM   #41
lostintejas
Grumpy Old Man

AKaholic #: 183194

For a side not on all the above, Unetbootin WILL NOT save things on the thumb drive. It is a workable desktop otherwise. It is simple and clean. I tried their newly preferred RICO program to install Ubuntu on this machine and was frustrated and rather put out that they would endorse it. I didn't run across anyone in the support community that had used it and couldn't remember the name of the UNnetbootin. They steered me back to that, thankfully.
If you want to use the thumb drive for several computers or save your work, check this out. http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
I haven't used it, but am keeping it handy for prosperity. It gets pretty good reviews for what ever that is worth.

Happy Hunting
Old 03-21-2017, 12:33 PM   #42
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3433

thanks a lot Alles and lost,and the rest of yous guys, I have 1 old think pad with a fried HD and this dell running xp aint no spring chicken
6526 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 08:11 PM   #43
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Avira came out with an updated version of Avira Free Antivirus today.

https://www.avira.com/en/free-antivirus-windows

For newer, faster systems there is Avira Free Security Suite.

https://www.avira.com/en/free-security-suite
Old 03-21-2017, 08:14 PM   #44
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6526 View Post
thanks a lot Alles and lost,and the rest of yous guys, I have 1 old think pad with a fried HD and this dell running xp aint no spring chicken
There are live DVD thumb drive installations and there are full system thumb drive installations.

The live DVD can be limited in use but is usable, especially for testing different versions of Linux before going through the system installation process.
Old 03-21-2017, 10:23 PM   #45
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

The various flavors of ubuntu run fine off a LiveUSB and even allow you to save data and changes to the usb. Last time I used them, it was limited to just under 4GB worth of space for you to save on the usb due to it using fat32.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 03:36 AM   #46
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

A USB thumb drive is good for running a DVD image to install Linux to the system's hard drive when a DVD drive isn't available.
Old 03-25-2017, 05:24 AM   #47
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

The pre-release version of the next release of Ubuntu is available. The Ubuntu Mate version is fairly bug-free, compared to the others, and lightweight enough for most any old PC.

The download for the DVD image is 1.6 GB.

The 32 bit version download is here,

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mat...sktop-i386.iso

There are few 64 bit computers that came with 32 bit Windows XP due to lack of 64 bit drivers at the time. They would be Core2Duo Intels and some AMDs.

The 64 bit version is good for newer computers too.

The 64 bit download is here,

http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/ubuntu-mat...ktop-amd64.iso
Old 04-04-2017, 02:21 PM   #48
allesennogwat
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceshigh View Post
^ How does Rebellin rate next to Ubuntu for ease of install, finding drivers easily, and operation for noobs??

I never got Mandriva working, or a few others and gave up on them out of aggravation

Tried Mint, thought it really sucked
What was wrong with Mint?

The latest updated version of Ubuntu 16.04 long term service has a new kernel. It is more stable than 16.10, which has support end in 3 months and is now about as up to date with drivers, office, browsers and kernel.
Old 04-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #49
Hallow
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169535

AVG
Hallow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:33 PM   #50
c0dy33
Odin Akbar

AKaholic #: 158752

Arch 4 lyf.

"I'd rather die standing up than live on my knees." -Stéphane Charbonnier (1967-2015)
c0dy33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 05:31 PM   #51
MOTOROLANUT
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187095

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallow View Post
AVG
Second the AVG.
MOTOROLANUT is online now   Reply With Quote