Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-17-2017, 06:54 PM   #36
es
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 185924

I recently got a practically unused vepr for just over $500 on gb-- to OP, buy factory and consider shopping used for something that might otherwise be outside your ideal price range. Deals are out there
es is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:00 PM   #37
Browning Hi Power

AKaholic #: 191931

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vepr7.62x54 View Post
A tilted rear sight block is pretty egregious. I'm not sure what's up with the rattly BCGs, though. Mine does rattle, too, but it hasn't caused problems with functionality or accuracy.

The first review that Rob did--the one where he gave the rifle away--actually showed it to be pretty durable. Although some pieces fell off, it kept its headspace and functionality, and that actually put the N-PAP on my own list--for the right price, of course. I couldn't complain about the $599 price.
It could be a weak recoil spring. You should change to an extra power and see if that takes the rattle away. The NPAPs are known to have come with weak recoil springs.

Rob's first review was pretty bad, it was the only rifle that failed the push up test. In his second review he noted multiple, multiple malfunctions on top of the crack that was found. I don't trust the steel quality on these rifles at all and that's probably why it failed the push up test. The receiver probably flexed a little. That probably also explains the crack in the second test and the early receiver failures at Battlefield Vegas.
Browning Hi Power is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:03 PM   #38
Vepr7.62x54

AKaholic #: 185728

Quote:
Originally Posted by Browning Hi Power View Post
It could be a weak recoil spring. You should change to an extra power and see if that takes the rattle away. The NPAPs are known to have come with weak recoil springs.

Rob's first review was pretty bad, it was the only rifle that failed the push up test. In his second review he noted multiple, multiple malfunctions on top of the crack that was found.
I've heard about the Wolf recoil springs and have thought about getting one.

I have to say, though, that the lack of a tang probably didn't help in the push-up test.
Vepr7.62x54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #39
TubThumper74

AKaholic #: 191953

Thanks for all the replies and insight guys! So far I'm thinking about a new WASR or perhaps one of the Polish Atlantic builds. I was considering an NPAP, but I think I'll pass. RAS was never part of the discussion for me (nor an IO) and I'm not against a VEPR, but would prefer something a little more "traditional". Good to hear the Atlantic builds are GTG as they appear to have some interesting pieces from time to time.
TubThumper74 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:03 PM   #40
Zemlyak

AKaholic #: 183159

Vepr or another Arsenal, that is what I own 4 Arsenals and 2 Veprs I wouldn't never buy Chinese rifle, maybe it is good but I am just ignorant about I would also stay away of anything with Century Arms stamp on it. Vepr is simply current king of AK, even my friends in Russia are all agree on this and they do have Saigas there.

Last edited by Zemlyak; 03-17-2017 at 10:11 PM.
Zemlyak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:43 PM   #41
Browning Hi Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by TubThumper74 View Post
Thanks for all the replies and insight guys! So far I'm thinking about a new WASR or perhaps one of the Polish Atlantic builds. I was considering an NPAP, but I think I'll pass. RAS was never part of the discussion for me (nor an IO) and I'm not against a VEPR, but would prefer something a little more "traditional". Good to hear the Atlantic builds are GTG as they appear to have some interesting pieces from time to time.
The WASR I got was really nice. The rivets were perfect, the sights were perfectly straight, and the action was really smooth. I have not shot it yet though, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how its performed.
Old 03-18-2017, 04:38 AM   #42
Cowboys1
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188774

Quote:
The WASR I got was really nice. The rivets were perfect, the sights were perfectly straight, and the action was really smooth. I have not shot it yet though, so I wouldn't be able to tell you how its performed.
Same on my Wasr and I've shot the shit out of her too no issues yet. Love the Wasr. I'll probably buy another at some point.
Cowboys1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:01 PM   #43
NCswamp13

AKaholic #: 182539

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zemlyak View Post
Vepr or another Arsenal, that is what I own 4 Arsenals and 2 Veprs I wouldn't never buy Chinese rifle, maybe it is good but I am just ignorant about I would also stay away of anything with Century Arms stamp on it. Vepr is simply current king of AK, even my friends in Russia are all agree on this and they do have Saigas there.
I don't know much but I know the MAK I just bought is at least on the level of my SLR 107 if not a step above.
NCswamp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #44
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Hi! New member here and modestly experienced AK shooter. I currently have an Arsenal SAM7-SF and was looking to add a more traditional stamped AK to my collection. The only experience I have with stamped AKs is my friends WASR, which is a decent rifle, but much less accurate than my Arsenal. Locally, I have access to an NPAP DF and a VEPR, but am open to anything. Thanks!
Get vepr, reinforced stamped receiver and heavy barrel
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #45
TubThumper74

As I understand it, the VEPR does not accept standard (AKM) furniture, where a WASR will. Is that correct? I'm really trying to go the "traditional" AK route with this one. Finding used surplus AKs round here is challenging, its predominantly RAS, C39, and IO with the occasional N/OPAP.

Last edited by TubThumper74; 03-19-2017 at 10:40 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #46
Kraidle

AKaholic #: 191112

Quote:
As I understand it, the VEPR does not accept standard (AKM) furniture, where a WASR will. Is that correct? I'm really trying to go the "traditional" AK route with this one. Finding used surplus AKs round here is challenging, its predominantly RAS, C39, and IO with the occasional N/OPAP.
At least there's an AK presence where you are at all. I'm in AR country, where the only AKs I've seen have been an overpriced WASR (700+), and a used, overpriced MAK 90... that I'm sure is a MISR 90 that they're trying to get rid of.

Now, don't get me wrong, I love ARs, but why would I buy one when I can build what I want with a $1000 budget? I'm doomed to order AKs online, it seems. And even then, I'm limited to sites that will actually send the guns over here in the first place.
Kraidle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 12:24 PM   #47
Browning Hi Power

Quote:
Yes, your statement is correct. When you get the WASR change out the recoil spring to a Wolff extra power or an ALG spring. WASRs can be a bit over gassed and the recoil spring they come with is a little weak. You don't have to change out anything (and many haven't so just take this as friendly advice and not gospel) but I think an extra power spring is good for this rifle.

Good luck with your decision.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:34 PM   #48
GREEK AK

AKaholic #: 172212

OP what type of budget do you have to work with ? That is a key determinant as to which flavor you are probably looking at.
GREEK AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 05:32 PM   #49
TubThumper74

I'd like to keep it under $800. Once you cross the $1k mark I may as well buy another milled Arsenal. Thanks!
Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #50
NCswamp13

Quote:
I'd like to keep it under $800. Once you cross the $1k mark I may as well buy another milled Arsenal. Thanks!
Mak if you can find one.....SAR1 or Wasr
Old 03-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #51
Art Vandaley

AKaholic #: 191257

FM VEPR
OPAP (if you can hunt one down)
WASR 10
Saiga
Art Vandaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:24 PM   #52
reddot

AKaholic #: 165054

Saiga, SLR107r or SLR107fr, MAK, WASR, SAR.
reddot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #53
insider
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2882

SAR1
Old 03-20-2017, 07:33 PM   #54
86250rrippin
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 165448

I have had or have Saigas,Yugos,Romanians,Polish Archer,Veprs,Bulgarian build with correct barrel,all are good imo. Avoid us made akm variants in general
Old 03-20-2017, 07:34 PM   #55
FOW1

AKaholic #: 180149

SLR107 or FM-VEPR
"Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are ruined... The great object is that every man be armed. Everyone who is able might have a gun." - Patrick Henry
FOW1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:45 PM   #56
NCswamp13

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOW1 View Post
SLR107 or FM-VEPR
I doubt you find either one of those for under $800
Old 03-20-2017, 09:55 PM   #57
Aceshigh
Pimp McTastic

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Stay away from NPAPs. No matter how much evidence people have that NPAPs are crap, they still don't seem to learn anything. I have no doubts that the Zastava factory is cutting some major corners to make the NPAP and I have personal experience with two of them that should have never left the factory.

I don't know how much more evidence people need before they realize that NPAPs are not up to spec. And frankly, I don't trust Zastava at all, but I suppose there's no real evidence that OPAPs are not up to spec as well.
Sadly I agree.

I have an N-pap myself, but after seeing enough evidence I don't care for Zastava's products.
Evidence = Battlefield Vegas glorious obliterations, and AKOU's rifle cracked in 3 places on the receiver.

Combining these evidence points leads one to question the durability of their receivers being subpar.

AK Files custom search
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 01:18 AM   #58
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 172420

MAK90
VEPR
SA85M
Saiga
SAR1