Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 07-29-2009, 02:37 PM   #1
Chris19210

AKaholic #: 31266
Default PSL Handload Recipes

I am beginning to reload for many of my rifles and the Psl is by far one I feel will benefit the most. I have shot some of Winchesters ammo strictly for the brass and has done average and then some I have shot the 180gr soft point I believe...and I have had serious pressure problems. Such as primers bulging and excess gas pressure blow out from the bolt and even had primer fragment get blown into my bolt assembly which disabled my firing pin. I am thinking about emailing Orkin about the problem. Heard this problem in other forums how bout ya'll? Back to what the subject was designed for. Looking for people to post there load recipes and as many variables as possible to help all. Example...trim lengths, overal length, outside temperatur, bore size...and whatever else. Also, it looks like there is a tremendous amount of free bore in psl's...

Thanks
Chris19210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #2
ak47junky

AKaholic #: 22956

Lapua brass trim to 2.105" 150 gr. sierra prohunter (.311) I use CCI #34 primers (Rem. 9 1/2 also works well if you cant find the CCI). 46 gr. of H4895 (Ive had alot of success with IMR4895 also). 2.895 C.O.A.L. I then put a slight crimp on it using a lee factory crimp die(not much just enough to keep the bullet from drifting while its being chambered).
Old 07-30-2009, 01:23 PM   #3
Chris19210

Ak47junky, Did you slug your barrel or did you just decide to try with the 311...what kind of groupings do you get out of this load..thanks for the advice.
Old 07-31-2009, 06:05 PM   #4
ak47junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19210
Ak47junky, Did you slug your barrel or did you just decide to try with the 311...what kind of groupings do you get out of this load..thanks for the advice.
No I just went with the advice of some knowledgable handloaders and psl owners for the bullet diameter. I get groups less than 1"@ 100 yds my best 3 shot group was 5/8 but I always let my barrel completely cool between shots that is key because the barrel is so thin,it heats up quick and cools down quick.

Last edited by ak47junky; 07-31-2009 at 07:25 PM.
ak47junky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #5
Chris19210

In deed it does, have you done much long range shooting with that bullet. I wish some of the bullet makers would introduce some new .310-.311 bullets it seems theres not much of a variety.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
ak47junky

+1 on the notion of manufacturers making a wider variety of .311 bullets. Sierra matchkings or nosler ballistic tips would be very nice or any high quality .311 dia. 150 gr. boattail bullet. As a matter of fact the lack of bullet selection prompted me to purchase a yugo M76 which I am currently working on a choice handload for because there is a much larger selection .323 bullets. But about the 54R long range shooting I can consistantly hit a 5" paddle @ 300 yds and can hit a gong @ 500 pretty consistantly also but I really haven't had a chance to see exactly how well it will group at longer ranges because I am from oklahoma where it is very dambed windy most of the time.
Old 09-06-2009, 03:07 AM   #7
Project Appleseed

AKaholic #: 42867

I, too am beginning to work up a load for the PSL. I found .311 diameter 150gr FMJ-BT bullets on gunbroker for ~$20/100, made by Privi Partizan in Serbia. Bullets have weighed fairly consistently, within +- 2-3 grains, with most of them being 151 grains, as measured on my Lyman 505.

Haven't worked out the powder weights yet, but will be using RL15 and Winchester WLR primers.

The cases from PPU needed to be trimmed for consistent length, and I ended up discarding some that were too short. Primed, sized brass weighed on average 155 grains, which is 15 grains lighter than the Winchester brass that I have.

Will keep you updated as this load progresses.
Project Appleseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2009, 03:22 AM   #8
Hawaiian

AKaholic #: 40580

wolf gold brass; h414 powder 308 168gr- h4895 or vn150 powder 308 bullets 150gr fmj .
Hawaiian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2009, 01:00 AM   #9
alpinemike

AKaholic #: 9576

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47junky
I get groups less than 1"@ 100 yds my best 3 shot group was 5/8 but I always let my barrel completely cool between shots that is key because the barrel is so thin,it heats up quick and cools down quick.

That,s pretty sweet I was on a mission earlier this year to find a hand load in hopes of getting accuracy more like this. Unfortunately, My neighbor the "rifle jedi master" was kicked out by his ex wife. This coupled with My complete lack of equipment and a super tiny budget has put this project way back on the back, back burner

At any rate this is great stuff guys! Thanks. I had a good hunch this rifle was worth far more than 2.5 - 3 MOA, given a better cartridge.
Old 09-07-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
ak47junky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Project Appleseed
I, too am beginning to work up a load for the PSL. I found .311 diameter 150gr FMJ-BT bullets on gunbroker for ~$20/100, made by Privi Partizan in Serbia. Bullets have weighed fairly consistently, within +- 2-3 grains, with most of them being 151 grains, as measured on my Lyman 505.

Haven't worked out the powder weights yet, but will be using RL15 and Winchester WLR primers.

The cases from PPU needed to be trimmed for consistent length, and I ended up discarding some that were too short. Primed, sized brass weighed on average 155 grains, which is 15 grains lighter than the Winchester brass that I have.

Will keep you updated as this load progresses.
WLR primers are indeed good primers but be careful because the PSL (much like most AK based rifles) has a free floating firing pin so basically what this means is every time the bolt slammes closed the firing pin strikes the primer. You can actually fire a round then jack out the one your rifle just chambered and there will be a dent on the primer. For this reason I recommend using the CCI#34 primers(millitary grade primers).
Old 09-10-2009, 03:24 PM   #11
n0mad

AKaholic #: 10477

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak47junky
WLR primers are indeed good primers but be careful because the PSL (much like most AK based rifles) has a free floating firing pin so basically what this means is every time the bolt slammes closed the firing pin strikes the primer. You can actually fire a round then jack out the one your rifle just chambered and there will be a dent on the primer. For this reason I recommend using the CCI#34 primers(millitary grade primers).
I've heard many people say the same thing about the ar-15, the m-14 and the m1 garand. I have a allot of trouble believing the firing pin in the ak would cause a slam fire, mainly because it's pretty light. I've run normal cci primers in my ar's for years with zero problems.

That being said, would however stay away from federal or bench rest primers, and I know for a fact that sks's can cause slam fires with normal primers. (I've had it happen). I also run cci mil primers in my m14 and m1-grand, because I've seen pictures of a kaboom caused by a slam fire. The primers being used were the benchrest type.

Has anyone here actually had a slam fire with an ak?
n0mad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:11 PM   #12
ccsniper

AKaholic #: 14232

Quote:
Originally Posted by n0mad
I've heard many people say the same thing about the ar-15, the m-14 and the m1 garand. I have a allot of trouble believing the firing pin in the ak would cause a slam fire, mainly because it's pretty light. I've run normal cci primers in my ar's for years with zero problems.

That being said, would however stay away from federal or bench rest primers, and I know for a fact that sks's can cause slam fires with normal primers. (I've had it happen). I also run cci mil primers in my m14 and m1-grand, because I've seen pictures of a kaboom caused by a slam fire. The primers being used were the benchrest type.

Has anyone here actually had a slam fire with an ak?
I have, with a WASR 3 (.223). I was using Remington UMC ammo and only loaded 3 rounds into the mag (first time firing all semi auto using this method) when I let the bolt slam forward I got "b-b-boom". When I got the dust cover off my trigger spring and recoil spring were both jacked the eff up. I took the gun back to the shop and got rid of it. I really wish I hadn't though, there nowhere to be found now and twice what I paid for it. I could have made a nice profit on that thing. After getting it fixed of course.
ccsniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #13
Gunruner

AKaholic #: 585

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris19210
I am beginning to reload for many of my rifles and the Psl is by far one I feel will benefit the most. I have shot some of Winchesters ammo strictly for the brass and has done average Back to what the subject was designed for. Looking for people to post there load recipes and as many variables as possible to help all. Example...trim lengths, overal length, outside temperatur, bore size...and whatever else. Also, it looks like there is a tremendous amount of free bore in psl's...

Thanks
I purchased 1,000 Privi Partizan .311 FMJBT bullets from Graf&Sons reloading. They are on the net($176 delivered). My starting load is 47gr IMR-4064, WLR standard primer, in S&B/Lapua/Wolf Gold or Privi brass. I load to 2.990 OAL and use a heavy crimp made with Lee Factory crimp die. If I do my part I can get under MOA at 100m. My PSL beats the hell out of the brass, especially the shoulder. I assume maybe 5 loadings if that from the brass. In bolt guns this brass seems to last forever, tough stuff..............Mike
Gunruner is offline   Reply With Quote