Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Saigas and VEPRs

Notices

Old 09-13-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Wasrbuffalo

AKaholic #: 160740
Default Repainting Saiga

Repainting my Saiga .308, the factory paint is flaking off. I'm going to try the Duracoat aerosol spray. Hoping someone could walk me through the prep work.

Can I just degrease it and spray it with the Duracoat? Or am I better off spraying it with brake cleaner, remove original paint with 600 grit paper, degrease and paint?

Thanks in advance for any advice. I don't want to pay a shop $200 to Duracoat it.
Wasrbuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #2
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

From a painting perspective , it is ALWAYS better to do the most prep work you can.
IF it's oily or greasy especially. If it's clean, then you can just wipe it down & spray and see how it does.

With that being said, I have always just used Rustoleum 500 degree satin black engine paint,
without issue on my brakes I add on to match up perfectly. It's available at Walmart, parts stores, anywhere.

https://www.amazon.com/Rust-Oleum-24.../dp/B002JFSXTY

OF course, a step up is the Appliance epoxy spray and bake, or Alumahyde.

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 03:55 PM   #3
Deerhurst

AKaholic #: 195346

Good prep makes a good paint job.

Around here I could have the entire thing cerakoted for $200.

Try to limit scratch marks from your sanding, they will show up. Maybe sand or bead blast it? Full degrease with a good degreaser or even alcohol or similar.

Like Aces said, maybe a Rust-Oleum or even an engine or header paint will do the trick. Many of the higher temp coatings, like an engine or header paint, need to be baked on for a full cure.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
Buckshotbob
It is what it is
Contributor

AKaholic #: 181400

Yes de-grease everything, if the finish is flaked off in spots then some light fine grit sanding could help smooth out things for the new finish. Have had good luck with Brownells Aluma-Hyde, but like others have said the best results with it are when its baked on.

If you have an oven that will fit it, or could always build you a box with heat lamps to dry while hanging. Watch your humidity levels too when painting, and if you do go with the Aluma-hyde, order their extra nozzle tips, that shit will clog in a heart beat.

Light coats, and a matte clear coat will help it last. Don't touch it for a week while curing...

AKFiles Custom Search
Buckshotbob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:25 AM   #5
hokahay
Contributor

AKaholic #: 181589

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerhurst View Post
Good prep makes a good paint job.

Around here I could have the entire thing cerakoted for $200.

Try to limit scratch marks from your sanding, they will show up. Maybe sand or bead blast it? Full degrease with a good degreaser or even alcohol or similar.

Like Aces said, maybe a Rust-Oleum or even an engine or header paint will do the trick. Many of the higher temp coatings, like an engine or header paint, need to be baked on for a full cure.
I had all three of my Saigas Cerakoted. It was $225 here.

For the first rifle I had cold feet. But when it came back I was impressed. No second thoughts about having it done the other two times.

It is a good looking, durable hard ass coating.
hokahay is offline   Reply With Quote