Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Old 08-26-2018, 08:50 PM   #36
SOLID.arity

AKaholic #: 183261

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
What brake is that? And which magpul HG - does that one require cutting the retainer? Any thoughts about getting a cleaning rod and if so, anyone know a resource for draco-specific ones?

Been contemplating tacticooling mine as well... all my other AKs are now restored to wood or wood+ultimak, so might as well have ONE tacticool.

Last edited by SOLID.arity; 08-26-2018 at 08:59 PM.
SOLID.arity is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2018, 08:57 PM   #37
SOLID.arity

Also, here's my Draco as it stands:

Folded:

Unfolded:

bout a 12.5" LOP. I'd prefer shorter, but at least it's outside the gray area.

Bonus of being able to easily take the brace tube off. Pretty sure there's something about braces needing to not be permanently affixed to meet "not-a-stock" criteria, but I'm mostly happy because it's tons of storage for: SB approval papers, cleaning kit, spare CR123A's and 2032's.
Old 08-26-2018, 09:10 PM   #38
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID.arity View Post
What brake is that? And which magpul HG - does that one require cutting the retainer?
Brake is Meridian Defense BD2-AK. That magpul handguard required cutting the sling loop off the retainer, but not the actual retainer, it functions as it should
Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:34 AM   #39
SOLID.arity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sublimeon24s View Post
Brake is Meridian Defense BD2-AK. That magpul handguard required cutting the sling loop off the retainer, but not the actual retainer, it functions as it should
Happen to have a direct shot from the ejection side? I'm just curious how far the HG actually extends. Only good thing I can say about the US-made draco is that the length they went with looks pretty dang good with Magpul furniture... ya know, until it blows up in your face
Old 08-28-2018, 08:47 AM   #40
Sublimeon24s
- Tactical Operator -
Contributor

AKaholic #: 157162

Quote:
Happen to have a direct shot from the ejection side? I'm just curious how far the HG actually extends. Only good thing I can say about the US-made draco is that the length they went with looks pretty dang good with Magpul furniture... ya know, until it blows up in your face
heres one from when i first got it. They make a different magpul handguard that is slightly shorter and keeps the sling loop on the retainer

Sublimeon24s is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 10:30 AM   #41
AK-Pirate
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 183956

Here's mine. I like the SOB47 brace. Never saw a need for it to fold as it is already very compact.

AK-Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 07:31 PM   #42
firejunkie
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 161

My Draco C SBR with the Stormwerks hinge, and Manticore Arms stock. I need to black up the bolt holding the sling swivel.

Last edited by firejunkie; 08-31-2018 at 08:18 AM.
firejunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 10:47 PM   #43
Tatsbysak
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165548

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoovdizzle View Post
use the SBA3, it will change your life! it's the reason i got back into pistols.
This is true. Just put one on my sam7k with a stormwerks folder and itís nice enough that I donít even care to sbr it anymore. Also have a 10.5Ē AR with one and that is also really nice. I can see owning a lot more pistols here really soon.
Tatsbysak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:00 AM   #44
infamousj

AKaholic #: 174024

I use Stormwerks hinges, have used ACE in the past, but the Stormwerks has less wiggle when locked in place...
infamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:05 AM   #45
infamousj

AKaholic #: 174024

Wife wanted one too...Stormwerks hinge and dual screw mounting nut...
infamousj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:22 AM   #46
FuriousOyster

AKaholic #: 193096

Quote:
Also, here's my Draco as it stands:

bout a 12.5" LOP. I'd prefer shorter, but at least it's outside the gray area.

Bonus of being able to easily take the brace tube off. Pretty sure there's something about braces needing to not be permanently affixed to meet "not-a-stock" criteria.
Bro ur literally just making rules up as you go. The whole kak blade thing was an opinion letter and only applied to that perticular brace. Only issue I've ever seen was the guy selling them fully extended to make the 26" mark.

There is nothing about a brace being removable to make it ok. I understood your caution and wanting to be legal but you need to make sure what ur worried about isn't fuddlore.
FuriousOyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:17 PM   #47
SOLID.arity

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousOyster View Post
Bro ur literally just making rules up as you go. The whole kak blade thing was an opinion letter and only applied to that perticular brace. Only issue I've ever seen was the guy selling them fully extended to make the 26" mark. . .
If it WEREN'T an issue, why would SB Tactical have PURPOSEFULLY capped their SBA3 to the 4th position? It ships with and is marketed to work with a standard 6-position mil-spec buffer tube, so why not make use of them all like a standard collapsible stock? Give people the choice for what's comfortable? The answer is that on an AR (which was it's intended usage/platform), 4th position gives a max LOP of ~12.5". The 5th and 6th position most likely would have been grounds for disapproval due to the ATF's official stance of 13.5"+ constituting stock territory.

If that's a compromise that SB Tactical had to make to get such a boundary-pushing product approved, then I'm also going to adhere to it and keep a sub-13.5" LOP. Besides, I prefer compact LOP for a PDW-type, as do many others. If you feel like going past 13.5", be my guest. ATF is unconstitutional after-all, right? I'm right there with you, but I'd rather argue it outside of hot water. End of the day, your pistol is yours, mine is mine and I'm happy with what I've decided on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuriousOyster View Post
. . .There is nothing about a brace being removable to make it ok. I understood your caution and wanting to be legal but you need to make sure what ur worried about isn't fuddlore.
The ATF's official stance is "not permanently affixed" as that is a defining characteristic of a stock. Every approved brace meets that criteria. My point wasn't immediately related: I was just making note of how the quickly removable tube is a cool little bonus of the route I went. It's extra storage for my Draco. AK Cleaning kit, oil, CR123s for a light I plan to add, 2032s for the optic. What's it matter? It's quick access storage that isn't afforded by a solution where a castle nut is tightened down. The tube isn't of any functional use outside a DI AR, so why not make use of it?

Last edited by SOLID.arity; 09-10-2018 at 01:54 PM.
Old 09-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #48
SOLID.arity

Quote:
Originally Posted by infamousj View Post

Wife wanted one too...Stormwerks hinge and dual screw mounting nut...
Is that a BM-1 you used to mount the light?

Was actually debating on whether to go full tacticool with a magpul front end doing something very similar by dyeing the wood and getting a matching PG.

Have some experience on wood refinishing so it should come out alright:
Old 09-10-2018, 03:25 PM   #49
FuriousOyster

AKaholic #: 193096

Quote:
If it WEREN'T an issue, why would SB Tactical have PURPOSEFULLY capped their SBA3 to the 4th position? It ships with and is marketed to work with a standard 6-position mil-spec buffer tube, so why not make use of them all like a standard collapsible stock? Give people the choice for what's comfortable? The answer is that on an AR (which was it's intended usage/platform), 4th position gives a max LOP of ~12.5". The 5th and 6th position most likely would have been grounds for disapproval due to the ATF's official stance of 13.5"+ constituting stock territory.

If that's a compromise that SB Tactical had to make to get such a boundary-pushing product approved, then I'm also going to adhere to it and keep a sub-13.5" LOP. Besides, I prefer compact LOP for a PDW-type, as do many others. If you feel like going past 13.5", be my guest. ATF is unconstitutional after-all, right? I'm right there with you, but I'd rather argue it outside of hot water. End of the day, your pistol is yours, mine is mine and I'm happy with what I've decided on.

The ATF's official stance is "not permanently affixed" as that is a defining characteristic of a stock. Every approved brace meets that criteria. My point wasn't immediately related: I was just making note of how the quickly removable tube is a cool little bonus of the route I went. It's extra storage for my Draco. AK Cleaning kit, oil, CR123s for a light I plan to add, 2032s for the optic. What's it matter? It's quick access storage that isn't afforded by a solution where a castle nut is tightened down. The tube isn't of any functional use outside a DI AR, so why not make use of it?
That's fine. I'm not mad or anything but you've been busting ur ass this whole thread so I didn't want u to be making more work for yourself then u need to.

I haven't tried the sba3 interesting it only goes out 4 positions. But I've never seen anyone use that position deliberately. Sba3 is an insane product it's amazing it exists.

Since I usually run braces full collapsed it's not like I can make them any shorter. I leave them as is and install them. I don't mess around with modifying/altering them.
FuriousOyster is offline   Reply With Quote