Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AR15 / AR10

Notices

Old 02-18-2017, 08:24 AM   #36
esh21167
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 170974

Quote:
Originally Posted by remauto1187 View Post
You need one in 16 and 20" as well as one chambered in 300bk and one in 7.62x39 to be truly an american. And only little bitches buy an AR. Men BUILD them themselves. :P
Well, assemble them...
esh21167 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 11:43 PM   #37
Goofyfoot

AKaholic #: 190563

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodie2 View Post
would you prefer a 16 or 20" barrel for SHTF?
16 or less, 'cuz I don't live in Afghanistan. The advantages of the longer system aren't enough to tempt me for this specific question. One of my uppers is a 20" and I like it just fine; it has its place.

You get good reliability and long-term parts durability with a full-length gas system. That's good for military ownership or for high-volume sport shooting (like 3gun). Imo it's borderline irrelevant in shtf 'cuz you're not going to be shooting tens of thousands of rounds.

A longer barrel helps with fragging at distance and with punching through lower-priced armor (if the ammo is a good match). However, my bad-day ammo is gold dot bonded hollowpoints so for my shtf this is irrelevant. My way is not the only way; if you are worried about armor maybe something like a 20" barrel with alternating m193/m855 would be smarter for you than what I have. Or maybe get a shotgun and shoot their face repeatedly (0% joking).

The extra velocity from a longer barrel has no importance at the distances I can imagine needing to shoot in shtf here. For some of you, this might not be true. You must be the judge; I don't know a single thing about your circumstances.

The weight/balance advantage of a shorter barrel is good 'cuz you need a flashlight on your shtf rifle. Gotta have it. Idgaf who disagrees.

Quote:
I thought the 1 to 7 was the favorite to handle all, now lately I have been reading 1 to 8. Is there that much difference between the two?
Not unless you want to shoot either tracers or ultra-lite varmint bullets. I favor 1:8 over anything else, yet my "shtf rifle" has 1:7, 'cuz that's what the maker made.

A couple quick things you didn't ask about: I prefer flash hiders over muzzle brakes, and I recommend factory-made uppers and lowers vs hobbyist-assembled. QC matters.

Quote:
Manufacturer: There seems to be a boat load out there and from what I read the AR parts used to assemble for the most part come from a limited number of suppliers? I don't think you could go wrong with choosing from any one of them. I had been looking at Rock River Arms hear of late, they have a vast selection of rifles to choose from.
Good parts are preferable to cheap parts. You can go wrong, and would be wrong, by cheaping out. I don't trust RRA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboys1 View Post
Is it legal to own an SBR upper without paper work so long as it's not attached to a lower?
Imo you should own a pistol lower if you own an upper which could be used to assemble an illegal SBR. Obeying the law is relatively convenient, so why not do it? It ain't free, but it is cheaper than asking a lawyer about anything important.
Goofyfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:02 AM   #38
logan09

AKaholic #: 22120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyfoot View Post
Imo you should own a pistol lower if you own an upper which could be used to assemble an illegal SBR. Obeying the law is relatively convenient, so why not do it? It ain't free, but it is cheaper than asking a lawyer about anything important.
Or just a stripped lower in general. They are sold as "other" because they can be built as a pistol or rifle. Hence why you have to be 21 to purchase one.
logan09 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 12:56 AM   #39
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

There is a whole new class of weapons out there that I figure some of you haven't noticed yet.

Or given much thought to anyway.

The Ruger Precision Rifle and the Savage 10BA Stealth are entry level guns for what is actually the latest and greatest.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:33 PM   #40
NMGuy

AKaholic #: 182584

My go to SHTF rifles are LWRC piston rifles. I'm probably in a minority but I have enough parts to kee them running for a loooonnngggg time. Most AR parts will work on them and the proprietary parts that wear out are few and far between. Essentially all I need is a piston return spring assembly which is cheap. I've got over 10,000 rounds on my original spring with half of it suppressed without the adjustable gas block. So it's getting a good bump in the amount of gas operating it and it's running perfect still. I'm assuming it will need replacement when the barrel is shot out. Or at least I'm hoping.

An AR15 is far easier to get parts for and to work on than an AK. That was a big decision on my part. ANYONE can work on an AR15 with a short training course and minimal tools. You can build one with 2 pin punches, a hammer, a 1/2" torque wrench, and an armorers tool($40-60).
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 03:37 PM   #41
Mattylight30
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172152

Quote:
Originally Posted by logan09 View Post
Or just a stripped lower in general. They are sold as "other" because they can be built as a pistol or rifle. Hence why you have to be 21 to purchase one.
Didn't know that, makes sense now.
Mattylight30 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:03 PM   #42
Larryphoto
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170271

AK74, folding stock, aimpoint, Glock 19, small, fast, light.
Larryphoto is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:07 AM   #43
garym1a2

AKaholic #: 8779

For SHTF I would get an AR with a 12.5 inch barrel SBR and a can with a quick release flash-hider. If I could not get a can nor an SBR my favorite AR is my 14.5 inch M4 profile with a 1.5 inch flash-hider and a Red dot. My AK is a Russian Saga 74 Arnesel. But for SHTF I would pick a AKM47 type for better chance to get more ammo.
garym1a2 is online now   Reply With Quote