Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-47s

Notices

Old 03-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #1
Centuriator
Banned

AKaholic #: 195948
Default Back to the world of AK

I got out of the AK platform about ten years ago. And, I'm back now and trying to decide what should be my first AK purchase.

I've got the experience with the platform and I have the time, interest, and ammo, oh, and the money. I have not kept up with the world of AK since 2008.

Advice please, and thanks.
Centuriator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
juanmaryjon

AKaholic #: 191988

WASR or Draco with an SB tactical brace.

If you want to buy second hand get a chinese, Russian, or Bulgarian.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Burgher

AKaholic #: 195397

How much do you wanna spend? Cheaper side I’d pick SAR-1, more expensive I’d go VEPR FM, SAM7, or chicom. Atlantic also offers great kit builds with new production parts from WBP, a Polish company.
Burgher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #4
catmando

AKaholic #: 194694

SGL 21. The gold standard in AKs.
catmando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:53 PM   #5
Claymore
Right-Winger with a Rifle

AKaholic #: 186415

Get A WASR OP, then go from there.

John 14:6

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
- William Pitt (the Younger), Speech in the House of Commons, November 18, 1783
Claymore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 03:59 PM   #6
Sigiloso
Banned

AKaholic #: 185454

Read around here for a while, then decide what you want, and ask where is the best place to find it. Don't forget the marketplace here.
Sigiloso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:05 PM   #7
AK4BK

AKaholic #: 195852

It pains me to say this but "Don't buy American". Stick to anything com bloc and you should be fine.
AK4BK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
buckeye74

AKaholic #: 191910

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK4BK View Post
It pains me to say this but "Don't buy American". Stick to anything com bloc and you should be fine.
Great advice, but don't rule out American built with combloc parts. Atlantic firearms has never let me down with the builds they do!
buckeye74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:14 PM   #9
TXsailor
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 193986

Don't waste money on a WASR. They're still what they were when you left, just different QC issues.

WBP is good it seems, as are any of the other comblocs.
TXsailor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:22 PM   #10
Claymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXsailor View Post
Don't waste money on a WASR. They're still what they were when you left, just different QC issues.

Ugh. Here you are again.

No, the WASRs are good to go. Just inspect them

WBPs are nice, but you can get a Romanian AK, and be able to buy more mags and ammo.

Next buy. let it be the WBP.

"Necessity is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of tyrants; it is the creed of slaves."
Old 03-13-2018, 04:23 PM   #11
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
Ugh. Here you are again.

No, the WASRs are good to go. Just inspect them

WBPs are nice, but you can get a Romanian AK, and be able to buy more mags and ammo.

Next buy. let it be the WBP.
For only about $100 less than a WBP kit, the WASR that you still have to fix isn't worth the cash. It's got a great barrel and parts, sure, but the build isn't worth the money IMHO. Because once you buy a WASR you're already planning to find a BETTER rifle, making the WASR wasted cash. Spend more money. Get something nicer. Waste less in the long run.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:43 PM   #12
Claymore

I would put my 2015 up against a WBP, both would be straight as an arrow, both would be reliable, both would have excellent rivets and build.

The WBP may be a little bit better looking, slightly better fit and finish, but that WASR is just as good.

Not saying the WBP ain't a good rifle, it is. Clearly.

Old 03-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #13
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
I would put my 2015 up against a WBP, both would be straight as an arrow, both would be reliable, both would have excellent rivets and build.

The WBP may be a little bit better looking, slightly better fit and finish, but that WASR is just as good.

Not saying the WBP ain't a good rifle, it is. Clearly.
Except there is almost a daily post of a new WASR here with some issue, usually with magazine catches lately. If they're good, they're acceptable, but that's a much bigger if sight unseen, and don't have any of the features.
Old 03-13-2018, 04:55 PM   #14
wormraper
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 192990

get a WASR... they're the most popular and most sold of the "under a grand" AK's for a reason. There's a few that have minor problems, but usually very minor issue.
wormraper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:57 PM   #15
Dave Williams
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 163660

The mag catch is a stupid easy fix.... That said what's the ratio of WASR's to WBP's? I'm quite sure many more WASR's are sold than the WBP so you have that to think about. I'm sure most WASR's are fine. Great guns.
Dave Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 PM   #16
aschem

AKaholic #: 185630

SAR-1 maybe?
aschem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #17
SuperTacOperator44
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 177348

Wasr-10 is just about the best entry level priced AK you can buy, still, after all these years.

Not a lot of options these days at the higher price ranges though honestly. You came back at a time when the markets pretty dried up. The WBPs are nice but your still paying like a grand for a cast parts kit assembly. At least its got a nice imported barrel. But still if I was dropping that kinda dough I would want it to be a fully imported rifle. Russian or Bulgarian preferably, current issues/non issues with the budget line of Bulgy rifles aside.
Old 03-13-2018, 05:15 PM   #18
chewbacca_chump29

AKaholic #: 180913

i would go with the Wasr-10.
chewbacca_chump29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #19
wormraper
Curio & Relic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post
Wasr-10 is just about the best entry level priced AK you can buy, still, after all these years.

Not a lot of options these days at the higher price ranges though honestly. You came back at a time when the markets pretty dried up. The WBPs are nice but your still paying like a grand for a cast parts kit assembly. At least its got a nice imported barrel. But still if I was dropping that kinda dough I would want it to be a fully imported rifle. Russian or Bulgarian preferably, current issues/non issues with the budget line of Bulgy rifles aside.
the WBP doesn't have cast parts. All forged now
Old 03-13-2018, 05:16 PM   #20
TXsailor
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperTacOperator44 View Post

Where are you getting cast parts on the WBP?!
Old 03-13-2018, 05:20 PM   #21
Longshot725
Patriot
Contributor

AKaholic #: 168398

SAM7 in the variation of your choosing. They're VERY nice AKs.

Then you can bring it with you to The National Shoot and you'll get to try out any number of other AKs. National Shoot Thread

"It is the duty of the patriot to protect his country from its government."
-Thomas Paine-

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanMor View Post
...Go to hell. Enjoy the ban. Get tapeworm.

Last edited by Longshot725; 03-13-2018 at 05:25 PM.
Longshot725 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 05:54 PM   #22
madrobot

AKaholic #: 177479

Well if you got the money like you said, find a nice Sgl21 on GB or the marketplace.
madrobot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:06 PM   #23
Jacobsnc

AKaholic #: 192436

I would go with a WASR first to see if you like it, then an Atlantic build WPB, which I believe are Not cast. The only American build I would consider is a Riley when they come out with their final all in house build rifle, and after it's been tested out. Their early product line was good, Rob had some issues with the imported Hungarian Riley, but could have been a lemon, kinda like Arsenal is going through with a few of theirs.
Jacobsnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:34 PM   #24
Just a Citizen
Not the Sharpest Crayon in the box.

AKaholic #: 173954

Avoid anything and everything U.S made

WASR, Arsenal (some out of spec parts coming from them of recent so beware) Atlantics Polish Builds are the only acceptable rifles I can think of.

The 5.45 situation is secondary market only, no rifles are being imported as of right now.

You've come back when the market has never been weaker unfortunately.
"The right of a citizen to bear arms, in lawful defense of himself or the State, is absolute. He does not derive it from the State government. It is one of the "high powers" delegated directly to the citizen, and `is excepted out of the general powers of government.' A law cannot be passed to infringe upon or impair it, because it is above the law, and independent of the lawmaking power." [Cockrum v. State, 24 Tex. 394, at 401-402 (1859)
Just a Citizen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 06:48 PM   #25
Idratherbapickle
Banned

AKaholic #: 193120

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator View Post
I got out of the AK platform about ten years ago. And, I'm back now and trying to decide what should be my first AK purchase.

I've got the experience with the platform and I have the time, interest, and ammo, oh, and the money. I have not kept up with the world of AK since 2008.

You got back in it a couple years to late. New market Wasr, used market look Vepr or Norinco I suppose. A lot of people love Arsenal but for the price you pay I would rather find a like new Vepr in the used market. That's just my opinion though.
Idratherbapickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM   #26
dan326
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 169937

Quote:

Here comes the short bus...
dan326 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:10 PM   #27
flakman

AKaholic #: 190767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centuriator View Post

Get Vepr or Arsenal
flakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:16 PM   #28
Maxbob
Banned

AKaholic #: 192926

Get or stay with an Ar-15. All you ever hear about Aks is problems with them.
Maxbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:17 PM   #29
Aceshigh
Lt Topper

AKaholic #: 5008

Quote:
Originally Posted by wormraper View Post
get a WASR... they're the most popular and most sold of the "under a grand" AK's for a reason. There's a few that have minor problems, but usually very minor issue.
Agreed.
Get a WASR the longest standing AK sold in America that's still on the market. (or Paratrooper, or RH10)
The other options are Bulgarian (Arsenal) or Zastava (Serbian) anything else NEW is not a Combloc rifle.

WBP is still a new Commercial Poland parts kit using a FB barrel on a US receiver.
There is no long term results to say "WBP is as good or better" here, except hopes......

Only thing WBP has done is prove they can pass a 5,000 round test......so did the RAS47 til it swallowed the no go gauge.
Sorry, save all the butthurt......these are the facts. They SEEM to be good so far, and I hope they are.

There is also the used market with Norinco, SAIGA, VEPR, etc

Quote:
Today we need a nation of minute men; citizens who are not only prepared to take up arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as a basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom. The cause of liberty, the cause of America, cannot succeed with any lesser effort. John F Kennedy 1961

Last edited by Aceshigh; 03-13-2018 at 07:23 PM.
Aceshigh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #30
Claymore

Quote:
Except there is almost a daily post of a new WASR here with some issue, usually with magazine catches lately. If they're good, they're acceptable, but that's a much bigger if sight unseen, and don't have any of the features.
A man with a file can rectify it in a couple minutes

Par for the course with combloc guns

Old 03-13-2018, 07:23 PM   #31
wormraper
Curio & Relic

I def want to grab an RH10 or Paratrooper before century raises prices sky high .. they look fun for sure
Old 03-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #32
ValHalla211
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 112949

First we build the AK platform:

Ok, now we have our platform, we need to put things on top of the platform

Ultimak, Dogleg rail, Aimpoint, Custom selector/safety, Zig-Zag brake
__________________________________________________ ______

Now we have our weapons system, complete with platform, and things on our platform to fit it out. But where is the scaffolding for our platform?

The trained soldier is necessary to correctly operate the weapons system platform. He is the scaffolding holding it all together.

Spend less money on weapons systems platforms, and more money on training, for a promotional DVD on the training we offer, contact JamiesGayger@TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net.

Do it now! Your responsibility to be the scaffolding of the platform never stops!

(Not a real solicitation on this forum. Views reflected in this post don't necessarily reflect on the views of TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net as a whole. TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net isn't responsible for any injuries incurred during training, or any misdeeds done using our training. 5.11 tactical pants and chromatic shades are a requirement during our training, but neither of them need to remain on during the debrief of our training; our trainers are very hands-on.)
"We are fully aware that war is not the only way to defend our values. But if those values are fundamentally endangered, as is the case today, then war is the only way to defend them. Everything that hinders us in our effort to defend ourselves is an injustice. We did not want this war, it was thrust upon us, like all others. Defending one's people is a holy duty," - Ratko Mladic

Then conquer we must, when our cause it is just,
And this be our motto: "In God is our trust."

Last edited by ValHalla211; 03-13-2018 at 07:32 PM. Reason: forgot my disclaimer
ValHalla211 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #33
frankinnola
Curio & Relic
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 174065

if you can:
See if Atlantic has
SAM7
WASR
Draco pistol to SBR or convert to rifle
Romanian Paratrooper

gunbroker for used market
OPAP
SLR 107's
SGL
Sagia
Vepr
Hungarian 85 series
Chinese - Norinco
frankinnola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:40 PM   #34
Wasrbuffalo

AKaholic #: 160740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxbob View Post
Get or stay with an Ar-15. All you ever hear about Aks is problems with them.
+1
Wasrbuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 08:44 PM   #35
BFPUAKM
No information available

AKaholic #: 191073

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValHalla211 View Post
First we build the AK platform:

Ok, now we have our platform, we need to put things on top of the platform

Ultimak, Dogleg rail, Aimpoint, Custom selector/safety, Zig-Zag brake
__________________________________________________ ______

Now we have our weapons system, complete with platform, and things on our platform to fit it out. But where is the scaffolding for our platform?

The trained soldier is necessary to correctly operate the weapons system platform. He is the scaffolding holding it all together.

Spend less money on weapons systems platforms, and more money on training, for a promotional DVD on the training we offer, contact JamiesGayger@TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net.

Do it now! Your responsibility to be the scaffolding of the platform never stops!

(Not a real solicitation on this forum. Views reflected in this post don't necessarily reflect on the views of TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net as a whole. TacticalPlatformScaffolding.net isn't responsible for any injuries incurred during training, or any misdeeds done using our training. 5.11 tactical pants and chromatic shades are a requirement during our training, but neither of them need to remain on during the debrief of our training; our trainers are very hands-on.)

Lol! Possibly the best post on the internet!