Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 02-25-2018, 01:27 AM   #1
Avtomatkalashnikov

AKaholic #: 179027
Default got a new saiga 12 unconverted today.

have had about 10 different saiga rifles/shotguns my whole life. this ones unconverted. just not sure what route to take with it.

guy had a retarded utg quad rail on it, and a tapco t6 collapseable buttstock on it, and it came with one of those huge 50 cal looking muzzle breaks. i wish it had the stock furniture on it to be honest. but this stuff is worth more. im probably going to swap it out for something else. just not sure yet.

if you had a unconverted saiga 12 what route would you take it? as far as conversion and furniture setup goes. i can convert it myself just fine and have. i just have not yet. honestly i was thinking about just getting this stock set and calling it a day. http://www.saigastock.com/images/BLUE%20STOCK%202.JPG it did not come with a magazine and thats something i definitely need.

by the way i paid 700 for it. i think i did alright. it looks unfired, or if it has been fired it has a very low round count from what i can tell.

i know there was probably better options for a little bit more or something but the saiga 12 just has a irreplaceable special place in my heart. i decided i couldnt live without having one in my life. i missed my old one. ill probably buy a vepr 12 soon also. right now all i got is a glock handgun and this saiga 12. i want a ak rifle soon.

"The only true wisdom, is in knowing I know nothing." Socrates

Last edited by nalioth; 02-25-2018 at 02:48 AM. Reason: Fixed huge image(s)
Avtomatkalashnikov is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:26 PM   #2
skidooie

AKaholic #: 170494

SBS
skidooie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 08:33 PM   #3
Unit28
(((DB)))

AKaholic #: 176712

The stock furniture is super cheap, does handle better with a pistol grip.
(((DB #28)))
Crosstown
Unit28 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 10:48 PM   #4
RUSSIAN AK FAN
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 176305

I’d do a simple rear conversion with US Arsenal furniture.
RUSSIAN AK FAN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 11:53 PM   #5
Lord Ak-47
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 146144

Full conversion. Saiga-12 often need to be tweaked to cycle everything flawlessly, but once you have them figured out they are incredible.
Lord Ak-47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:47 PM   #6
Avtomatkalashnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUSSIAN AK FAN View Post
Id do a simple rear conversion with US Arsenal furniture.

ive done like atleast 10 conversions myself. piece of cake. but right now it seems pretty impossible to get ahold of any parts for a saiga 12. this was my first choice http://www.k-var.com/handguard-for-s...de-arsenal-incg but there sold out. next i would have went with a chaos full quad rail and there h&k sites. but they discontinued it.

i really wish i could get that kvar handguard. anyways. just talk till i get paid again and decide what im going to do with it and order everything that night.

Old 02-28-2018, 09:44 PM   #7
AllTen

AKaholic #: 181458

Is this of any use...............

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/752221330

At 9 bucs and change now, but "buy now" for $11.95.
AllTen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2018, 05:20 AM   #8
Avtomatkalashnikov

I will most likely get a factory set when i get paid. Bigger advantage over this quad rail and the collapseable stock. Idk what the guy was thinking. I will probably trade or sell the stock and handguard for funding towards getting a magazine for it. I think i will wait on converting it for some time. I feel like this is the last saiga ill probably ever get the chance to convert.

Old 03-07-2018, 05:57 PM   #9
strychn9ne

AKaholic #: 195007

Decisions, decisions..

strychn9ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2018, 03:05 AM   #10
VforVandetta

AKaholic #: 184420

I got some stock saiga furniture for sale. and some other goodies. Hit me up!

-V
VforVandetta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 11:37 AM   #11
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

Quote:
Originally Posted by VforVandetta View Post
I got some stock saiga furniture for sale. and some other goodies. Hit me up!

-V
Just took a gander and I hope you've still got what I'm looking at by Friday.
Bandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2018, 10:05 AM   #12
Avtomatkalashnikov

its all coming together. i was able to salvage the FCG and made / welded a actual ak fcg out of the funky saiga one. ill have to post a photo of it soon. if dinzag still had his ak12 conversion stuff for sale id probably opted for that. ill show you guys what ive done so far by this weekend..

Old 03-15-2018, 12:19 AM   #13
JC507JC

AKaholic #: 194163

Hey I saw you bought an Izhmash grip for your saiga 12. I also just bought one but don’t have a screw for it, any chance you know the size? I’ve heard 4” and 4.5”. Thanks in advance.
JC507JC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2018, 08:24 AM   #14
Avtomatkalashnikov

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC507JC View Post
Hey I saw you bought an Izhmash grip for your saiga 12. I also just bought one but don’t have a screw for it, any chance you know the size? I’ve heard 4” and 4.5”. Thanks in advance.

ahh crud. i dont know. mine came with a end butt cap. i figure it could be used ether with a short grip screw like on a hogue grip or with a standard ak grip screw. i bought a ram screw on trigger guard cause im lazy i may tig weld to the reciever eventually, but i know it comes with a pistol grip nut and it also comes with a pistol grip screw i think? a short one. but i know i have a standard size ak pistol grip screw on the way and another pistol grip nut. i just hope i can get it to fit and it doesnt take a certain special one.

hopefully all the stuff will come in the mail soon and i can finish the conversion. i knocked the gas block off last night and realligned and bored the gas ports 1 size bigger to 5/64ths instead of 1/16ths they were at.

there was also 3 ports visable, 2 of the three were halfway covered. glad i took the gas block off because it was a four port gun. i hope i dont have any issues with this saiga. i would like to get a better adjustment plug anyways sometime though. 2 settings is just not enough for an adjustable gas system.

i was super nervous about taking the gas block off but i managed to do it all on my own with very little tools! do your self a big favor if your going to do this though and make sure and goto a hardware store and get a 5/64th punch for the pins in the gas block. i read a how to : sticky on the old saiga forums (my username should be the same on there) and it said to use a smaller one and i bent the crap out of that pin punch. definitely had to go up to a 5/64th punch for the gas block pins and then also i drilled the holes on the barrel out to 5/64th also.

i actually said to hell with it. i need to get back in the game and this is my only ak i own at the moment so i went ahead and converted it in about 45 minutes or atleast started to. now im waiting on parts in the mail.

Quote:
Originally Posted by strychn9ne View Post
Decisions, decisions..

i really like the classic ak look

i really wish dinzag arms still had all the stuff for sale on his website. i would go the whole 9 yards with this conversion. standard ak handguard conversion, regular ak rear sight, front sight post and the bayonet lug.

ill just have to show you guys what mine looks like when its done. not to happy with the utg quad rail, had to remove the top portion but i guess it works. i may switch back to the regular hotdog bun stock handguard or get a kvar one if they ever go back up for sale.

does the kvar lower handguard retainer for the kvar saiga 12 handguard work for regular or rpk handguards or something?

Last edited by Avtomatkalashnikov; 03-15-2018 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2018, 08:49 AM   #15
Avtomatkalashnikov

finished my saiga - 12 conversion.

happy with how it turned out. just need a little cleaning up and polishing here and there, and i need to find the right length/proper screw for the izhmash grip.

apologize, i dont know how to resize.

also the pistol grip isnt screwed in just held in place. i need to find the right length grip screw for it also. anyone know ?

Old 03-17-2018, 08:35 PM   #16
DevJames

AKaholic #: 193787

Now loose about 8" of barrel!
DevJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 09:55 PM   #17
Bandy
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 172801

How did you go about attaching the stock? Nice work BTW.
Bandy is offline   Reply With Quote