Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Administration > Suggestions & Technical Support

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 08:36 PM   #1
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678
Default A few reasons hotlinking is bad

Check out all the entities recording every visit to this thread! The entities listed in the purple box are all plumbed into the thread:

Click for big image

Because all the images in the first post are hotlinked to wherever the article came from, there are no less than FOURTEEN websites recording your IP and how long it takes you to read that whole thread (not just the first post). Hotlinking is where you link to someone's content you don't own without their permission.

This is just one reason why hotlinking is bad, and why you should use an image host for your images.

Please don't hotlink.

Last edited by nalioth; 12-23-2012 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Changed title from "one" to "a few".
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:07 PM   #2
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Thanks for the information and thread, nalioth. I'm sure you would have enjoyed the Computer Forensics class I took earlier this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 01:26 AM   #3
nalioth

I've seen plenty of hotlink-related fail already in the Just for fun. Answer with pics. - AK Files thread.

Please don't hotlink.
Old 11-17-2012, 07:53 AM   #4
Esteps_Guns

AKaholic #: 159161

another reason hotlinking is bad is because of nigerian scammers that troll sites like this one looking for hotlinked email addresses....

I don't hotlink post my email address on any site other than this one and I've gotten more than my share of nigerian scam emails offering me my share of millions of dollars and so forth... Not only that but I've gotten emails telling me that I've won the UK lottery and crap like that... I'm not complaining, but it seems like there should be some way this site could block traffic from nigeria and places like that....

Or too, it would be good in a way if this site was only viewable by login only, much like the AK forum is...

Just an idea...............

No longer taking work
Esteps_Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
Sweersa
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 157316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteps_Guns View Post

Or too, it would be good in a way if this site was only viewable by login only, much like the AK forum is...

While that would make the site more secure, IMO, I can imagine a lot of traffic or "ghost readers" who are non-contributing long-time readers may not want to register to avoid being on any list they fear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeManassas View Post
So, can I assume that WTF is not one of the Marketplace headings like WTS, WTB, or WTT?
Sweersa is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 02:16 PM   #6
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esteps_Guns View Post
another reason hotlinking is bad is because of nigerian scammers that troll sites like this one looking for hotlinked email addresses....

I don't hotlink post my email address on any site other than this one and I've gotten more than my share of nigerian scam emails offering me my share of millions of dollars and so forth... Not only that but I've gotten emails telling me that I've won the UK lottery and crap like that... I'm not complaining, but it seems like there should be some way this site could block traffic from nigeria and places like that....

1) If any idiot is dumb enough to post their email in a thread without munging it somehow ('munging' = making it hard for spambots to read), they deserve every little bit of spam they get.

2) This forum is not set up with security in mind. Most forums these days have email utilities (send a member an email from the board) that can be set up to

a) show the interested party an email address (this is why your email address is plundered from this board - any member can see anyone's email address). All a spambot has to do is sign up here, and then go harvest all the email addresses. This is the system that AK Files uses.

b) show the interested party a form field which has no email address info whatsoever. The interested party fills out the subject and content field, and presses "submit", and the board software sends the email on behalf of the interested party.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
nalioth

Just saw another reason why hotlinking is bad.

One of you bright stars hotlinked to an image you don't own, or have control over (IOW, you didn't upload it to an image host).

Guess what? The site you are stealing content from ( IMFDB.com ) is able to be edited by anyone. So, the "anyone" this time is a filthy dick-eating spammer, and they edited that site with a "Click here for Grace Park nude pix from her upcoming movie!", only the file they linked to isn't an image file, but a self-injecting malware file that looks like a zip file.

Apparently Google found this malware during one of its sweeps, and now ANY SITE WITH CONTENT LINKED FROM THE AFFECTED SITE ALSO GETS A WARNING SCREEN LIKE THE ONE SHOWN (that would be us, gentlefolk, all because one of you hotlinked to an image you don't control )

Please don't hotlink to images you don't control. If you want to include a picture in your post, please download it and re-upload it to an image host that is trustworthy.

The ImgDump linked in my sig even allows you to bypass the "download" part.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:19 PM   #8
motorhead
EVIL GENIUS

AKaholic #: 6093

nal, so imfdb is a trap?
Old 12-24-2012, 02:27 PM   #9
nalioth

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
nal, so imfdb is a trap?
Until the owners clean it, there may be a malicious file available there . .
Old 12-24-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
David Teague
Droll Moderator

AKaholic #: 162037

Stickylisous

Stop the hotlinking madness. (Yah, I'm guilty too )

http://www.novarata.net/images/n/teague-sigpic-357.jpg
David Teague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:31 AM   #11
nalioth

Today's reason is brought to you by the poster who hotlinked a meme image and ( unbeknownst to him ) it turned into a link-ridden advertisement once it was posted here.

Why was it "unbeknownst" to the poster? For the same reason some other hotlinked images show up for the poster, but not for anyone else - they've visited the site and gotten site cookies. Those without that site's cookies (the rest of us) see a "red x" or a "hotlinked from" image instead of the one the poster sees.

Please do us all a favor and don't hotlink images (use an image host).