Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Handgun Forums > General Handgun Discussion

Notices

Old 08-09-2017, 02:36 PM   #36
Mikelawtown
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larryphoto View Post
Ruger SR22, very reliable, accurate, small and light.

Had a Ruger 22/45, it was not reliable for some reason, I think it was the mag catch, you have to push them in, then sideways to catch /lock.
Same, had issues all the time with 22/45
Kept the SR22 and happy with it
Mikelawtown is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 10:05 AM   #37
giantpune
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 188807

I forgot all about my Sig p250. Its a DOA hammer gun, so it takes some practice to shoot as accurately as some of the other ones listed. The takedown is very easy and there's caliber conversion kits for 9, 40, 357, 45, and if you look really hard, 380. It wouldn't be my first choice for a 22lr pistol. Maybe 3rd place or honorable mention.
giantpune is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:00 AM   #38
FangedRabbit
Professional Lurker

AKaholic #: 170724

Another vote for the Ruger 22/45 Target. M&P 22 compact would make a nice trainer.

I had a Buckmark for a long time too, but got rid of it and kept the 22/45. The grip was better on the Buckmark, but I just like the 22/45 better. The Buckmark had occasional trigger reset issues, but the 22/45 has never had a malfunction. The 22/45 came with a rail for mounting optics (vs buying aftermarket on the Buckmark). I'm sure I'll catch flak for this, but the takedown of the 22/45 is better than the Buckmark, which requires an allen wrench. The takedown is greatly simplified on the 22/45 vs a regular mkiii.

Last edited by FangedRabbit; 08-10-2017 at 11:06 AM.
FangedRabbit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 11:20 AM   #39
mojo00
AK SNOB

AKaholic #: 9021

Walther P22.

Inexpensive, reliable, lots of extras/upgrades.

Hits all I aim at. Never a FTE/FTF. Light and not too big or too small.
libertarians can suck my sweaty balls

Last edited by mojo00; 08-11-2017 at 07:16 AM.
mojo00 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 04:20 PM   #40
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

You didn't mention what you were going to use it for??

Mark 3's and 22/45's are dirt cheap right now since the mark 4 came out. I have 22/45 mark 3 and its perfectly reliable and fun to shoot. You don't see them much but I have a s&w 622 target pistol and that's a neat little gun; super accurate. Its about $500 on the used market.
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #41
ARMT Guy
Takin' care of business

AKaholic #: 165711

Beretta Neos:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/u22-neos-/

Plenty available just on Gunbroker for under $300:

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...tion=2&Sort=13

I bought a used/safe queen Neos last year and I've tried to make it choke with random, old, mixed brands of .22 L/R ammo.. no dice. This little .22 eats everything and keeps on banging away.

Yup.. if looks funky and weird, but easy disassembly/reassembly, excellent reliability, different length, quick change barrels.. a pretty good little semi-auto .22 pistol.
ARMT Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 06:34 AM   #42
John Hunt Morgan
Statue Removed

AKaholic #: 168039

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARMT Guy View Post
Beretta Neos:

http://www.beretta.com/en-us/u22-neos-/

Plenty available just on Gunbroker for under $300:

http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx...tion=2&Sort=13

I bought a used/safe queen Neos last year and I've tried to make it choke with random, old, mixed brands of .22 L/R ammo.. no dice. This little .22 eats everything and keeps on banging away.

Yup.. if looks funky and weird, but easy disassembly/reassembly, excellent reliability, different length, quick change barrels.. a pretty good little semi-auto .22 pistol.
Yessir. They are strange looking,but I love mine and have had the same results. Nice plinker.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:53 AM   #43
jonwill

AKaholic #: 192557

Ruger makes great 22's. I prefer the MKII. The MKIII is fine as long as you remove the loaded chamber indicator.
Mine failed during use and I had to take it apart and remove the LCI to make it run again

As stated by others. The High Standard Sentinel is great as is the Double Nine.

One of my personal favorites is the Smith and Wesson 422/622 series. Very lightweight, reliable and accurate.
They come in compact and full size with 4 and 6" barrels
jonwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 11:04 AM   #44
jb1911

AKaholic #: 175875

I have a $150 Cabelas gift card so I was looking online yesterday and saw the PPQ22 with the threaded barrel was on sale for $399. I decided later in the day to head over there, but before I did I checked their website for store availability. They were out of stock so I tried to buy online. The sale was for in stock items only. Story of my life.

I know $399 is still kind of high, but with the gift card I'd be stupid not to use it.
Old 08-11-2017, 01:06 PM   #45
KernelKrink
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 2036

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1911 View Post
I have a $150 Cabelas gift card so I was looking online yesterday and saw the PPQ22 with the threaded barrel was on sale for $399. I decided later in the day to head over there, but before I did I checked their website for store availability. They were out of stock so I tried to buy online. The sale was for in stock items only. Story of my life.

I know $399 is still kind of high, but with the gift card I'd be stupid not to use it.
Watch Ebay, there is a guy there that sometimes sells discounted Cabelas gift cards. $100 card for $82 or $88 depending on the sale. I got my last PT111 there using his cards for $178 OTD!
KernelKrink is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:12 PM   #46
hinkak

AKaholic #: 184602

Cabelas is pretty high on their gun prices... every once in a while they have a deal but for the most part they are ridiculous with their prices... I save 20% by driving 10 miles down the road when I need to buy a new gun....

Look for a used gun, right now prices are low
hinkak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:16 PM   #47
ohlongarm

AKaholic #: 193447

Quote:
I want one that's not too expensive, accurate and reliable. Let me hear your experiences.

Thanks

JB
I've had about every one made,and the Ruger Sr22 has ben the best out of the lot,I have it suppressed also,excellent pistol in a semi auto configuration.I don't keep anything for long if it doesn't work.
ohlongarm is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:20 PM   #48
Fortis
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 16269

Another vote for Buckmark, love mine...awesome trigger & the ergos are great(as well as accuracy).
“The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government - lest it come to dominate our lives and interests” - Patrick Henry
WTB-`82 Delorean & Flux Capacitor.
It's MY Island! Mine!
Fortis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 01:58 PM   #49
NMGuy
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 182584

No doubt the Ruger Mark series pistols are h most prolific and successful semi auto rimfire pistol out there. My vote goes to a .22/45 lite. It's by far my favorite. Makes an excellent pack gun and is superbly accurate. It's also threaded for a silencer if the Op should ever get one. You can also mount an optic to it if so desired. A RMR is expensive but makes it so much fun for small game hunting.

I do a lot of rimfire shooting. My Mark III .22/45 lite has over 60,000 rounds through it. Around 25,000 have been suppressed. Still runs great, only issue I've come across is these last 5,000 or so rounds it has been getting ammo picky. I don't know if the ammo has changed or the pistol needs a little overhaul on springs and such. It won't cycle some ammo it used to. Federal auto match won't cycle it at all. But throw in some Remington golden bullets or even CCi subsonic and it will cycle 100%. Weird I know, because the CCi subsonic is a lighter load than the federal auto match. It has also developed a condition where the safety is getting stuck in the "On" position. I have to unload it and fiddle to get it to switch to fire. This doesn't happen often but it sucks. I think the detent for it is just worn on the plastic switch. The new Mark4 fixed this issue for those who shoot enough to wear it out.

I've also got a very early production Mark I from Rugers earliest years as a firearm manufacturer. It's a nail driver as well.

The Mark IV is probably your best bet. The new disassembly system is 1,000x better than the old one.

Your looking at good enough accuracy to break clays every time from 50 yards.
NMGuy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #50
jb1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by hinkak View Post
Cabelas is pretty high on their gun prices... every once in a while they have a deal but for the most part they are ridiculous with their prices... I save 20% by driving 10 miles down the road when I need to buy a new gun....

Look for a used gun, right now prices are low
But I have a $150 gift cert at Cabelas.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:33 PM   #51
Ram Rod
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

The Ruger MKIII or 22/45 with heavy barrel (target model) is very nice. Breaking it down for cleaning is one possible drawback, but most of the process is easily learned from experience. In my opinion, it's close to a decent competition 22LR pistol right out of the box using a wide variety of ammo and skimping on cleaning (during a match) with the least amount of failures compared to other competitor's 22LR pistols.
The Walther P22 can hold it's own as well. I've never owned one, but I've been impressed with their performance in other competitor's hands at some of the matches. It might very well be better than the MKIII 22/45 in ways. I'm not sure if it's finicky on ammo so can't say without a doubt.
The Browning Buckmarks always seemed to have issues on every stage or course of fire. Many variables of course......the competitor, cleaning, aftermarket enhancements, and ammunition used (cheap bulk?).
Much as I dislike giving S&W a thumbs up for anything......................their 22A model pistol is likely the best bargain (or at least was), easy to maintain, decent ergonomics, and infrequent failures over a wide range of ammunition.
I've owned both the S&W 22A (won it in a raffle as I would never purchase a S&W anything), and the Ruger MKIII 22/45. As I haven't done a USPSA match in over two years now, the 22/45 was sold to a forum member within the past year with a couple of minimal upgrades. It's just that I really don't have a good purpose for a 22LR pistol these days even living way out in BFE. Nothing the shorty 10/22 can't handle and at distance. My former S&W 22A got traded off years ago in the same fashion. Nothing takes up space in my safe for too long if it's not getting some use and some love.
Hopefully I've steered you in the right direction as far as recommendations for a good 22 pistol.
Keep buying ammo while you decide

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugroza View Post
In all seriousness I cant tell whether some of you are simply blind, ignorant or stupid..
DEFCON 3.3
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 07:02 PM   #52
giantpune
Veteran Member

Quote:
In most cases, the $150 gift card will get Cabela's prices down to match everybody else . They do sell used guns there, but they're still a bit overpriced.
Old 08-11-2017, 07:29 PM   #53
A J
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 173129

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrelbronco View Post
Ruger MKII
Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
Ruger MK2.
Quote:
Originally Posted by frankinnola View Post
Ruger MkII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upgrade View Post
Ruger MKII Target
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldozer1 View Post
Ruger MK ll with a bull barrel. Pretty darn accurate and reliable.
I'm surprised by all the Ruger MKII votes. I have a MKII with a bull barrel and it's just "meh." It's fussy about ammo and is a pain to assemble. I really should have kept my Ruger Single Six.

I'm interested in the High Standard single action revolvers. They sound like a poor man's alternative to a $550 Ruger Single Six.
A J is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:55 PM   #54
Spook76

AKaholic #: 161291

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
In most cases, the $150 gift card will get Cabela's prices down to match everybody else . They do sell used guns there, but they're still a bit overpriced.
JB, I don't know whether it's still going on, but as of a few days ago Cabela's was doing a "friend and family" 10% off discount deal. Basically, the employees can give you a coupon for 10% off an entire purchase (i.e. everything in your "cart"). I used it for a gun, some ammo, and a few other items, and the discount applied to everything. This was in addition to the 15% they knocked off the price of the used/"Gun Library" gun I bought, simply because I asked how much room they had on it.
"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion is wishful thinking at its worst. Nations and peoples who forget this basic truth have always paid for it with their lives and freedoms."--Robert Heinlein

"Never ask someone if they're from Texas. If they are, they'll tell you; if they aren't, there's no need to embarrass them.--Unknown wise observer
Spook76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2017, 08:57 PM   #55
jb1911

Went to Cabelas today and the S&W S22 Victory was on sale for 389. I got it for 239 with the gift card. Now I have a new question.

What's the story with suppressors?
Old 08-11-2017, 09:18 PM   #56
giantpune
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
JB, I don't know whether it's still going on, but as of a few days ago Cabela's was doing a "friend and family" 10% off discount deal.
I use the friends and family discount a few times a year. Even with that, you have to pick items that are already on sale for them to come out cheaper than online retailers. I know because I go in with a big list and sit there with an employee at the kiosk and lookup every single one on her special employee pricing website. The employees don't mind doing that because if you use the kiosk, they get commission on the sale. At least half the stuff on my list is not worth buying there due to their high prices.

If you really wanna save money at Cabela's, they price match anybody within like 100 miles. Pick an online store that's in that range and have them match it. Then use your coupons and points. Palmetto State is like 70 miles away, so that's usually the lowest price they'll meet for me.
Old 08-11-2017, 10:14 PM   #57
smithy72
Contributor

AKaholic #: 187266

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMGuy View Post
No doubt the Ruger Mark series pistols are h most prolific and successful semi auto rimfire pistol out there. My vote goes to a .22/45 lite. It's by far my favorite. Makes an excellent pack gun and is superbly accurate. It's also threaded for a silencer if the Op should ever get one. You can also mount an optic to it if so desired. A RMR is expensive but makes it so much fun for small game hunting.

I do a lot of rimfire shooting. My Mark III .22/45 lite has over 60,000 rounds through it. Around 25,000 have been suppressed. Still runs great, only issue I've come across is these last 5,000 or so rounds it has been getting ammo picky. I don't know if the ammo has changed or the pistol needs a little overhaul on springs and such. It won't cycle some ammo it used to. Federal auto match won't cycle it at all. But throw in some Remington golden bullets or even CCi subsonic and it will cycle 100%. Weird I know, because the CCi subsonic is a lighter load than the federal auto match. It has also developed a condition where the safety is getting stuck in the "On" position. I have to unload it and fiddle to get it to switch to fire. This doesn't happen often but it sucks. I think the detent for it is just worn on the plastic switch. The new Mark4 fixed this issue for those who shoot enough to wear it out.

I've also got a very early production Mark I from Rugers earliest years as a firearm manufacturer. It's a nail driver as well.

The Mark IV is probably your best bet. The new disassembly system is 1,000x better than the old one.

Your looking at good enough accuracy to break clays every time from 50 yards.
Yep, my MkIII 22/45 has about 30,000 or so about 25000 suppressed. Clean it with Gun scrubber about every about every 3000 with suppressor, without will go twice that with no issues. Really accurate rim fires. Some of the "Obama panics" rim fire ammo really sucks, seems to have very minimal CQ. At that mileage a new set of springs would be advisable ,think my gun is due at half the round count.
smithy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #58
VALMET_M76
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 90

The answer to the OP is RUGER.

Not only are they really good pistols, there is a huge aftermarket to accessorize and improve the pistols.
VALMET_M76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 10:10 PM   #59
HAL-9000
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 157339
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by giantpune View Post
Ruger 22/45 are nice. I haven't shot one, but my buddy with their sr22 really likes it. Browning buck Mark also have some fans.
what he said!
HAL-9000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2017, 11:11 PM   #60
jb1911

See post #55.
Old 08-13-2017, 02:22 AM   #61
DesertGunner
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 182153

Quote:
Originally Posted by A J View Post

I'm interested in the High Standard single action revolvers. They sound like a poor man's alternative to a $550 Ruger Single Six.
Better, IMO.

The Single Six (I had one 20 years ago) always seemed "overbuilt" for a 22 LR (although it was cool having the option to swap cylinders and run some 22 WMR). I tired quickly of the loading/reloading through a single gate, and using the rod to push out empty brass. It doesn't seem a chore in my Ruger Super Blackhawk Hunter in 44 Mag, but just seemed like way too much work when plinking with a 22.

The High Standards all have a swing out cylinder, and hold 9-rounds. Even the western styled ones, that look like old school single action, have the swing out cylinder and fire double/single action.

They are harder to find in good condition at good prices though. I checked gun broker today and most of the ones listed looked pretty rough condition wise. (keeping in mind that these were all made in the 1960's and 1970's).
DesertGunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:35 AM   #62
JimMac
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 169345

I've got a sw 422 and it's smaller brother the 2213. Cool little guns. Jim
JimMac is online now   Reply With Quote