Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > General Discussion

Notices

Old 10-14-2017, 07:20 PM   #106
johnbrian
Save the snoot!!!

AKaholic #: 177329

When I was about 13 my younger brother found a gopher snake. He liked snakes so he brought it home while Mom was at work. I don't recall if he ever told her about the snake PRIOR to it's escape from whatever container he was keeping it in.

My Mom is deathly afraid of snakes. When she was a child growing up on a farm in Missouri she was chased by a blue racer a couple of times which led to her lifetime fear of snakes.

A day or so after it's escape I here Mom screaming in the kitchen. I run in and the snake was writhing around on the kitchen floor and hissing and raised up about a foot. My brother & I caught the snake, Mom screaming the whole time, & he released it back into the "wild".

I don't recall how Mom punished my Brother, but I'm sure he didn't enjoy it!

---------------------------------------------------------------

About four years ago I went to a place called "Ant Hill" in Bakersfield. It is a semi-rural area within the city limits. The general area has some 200 foot tall hills, gullys, sagebrush, etc. I went there to look for some mid-Miocene age (about 12 million years ago) shark teeth. The land was owned by some corporation who didn't care if people were on the land doing whatever.

So, knowing full well that there are rattlesnakes in the area but not really thinking about it, I started up a small hill. The dig area was about twenty feet up the hill. I get right in front of a large hole and a rattler starts buzzing. I see it about three feet away from me on the side of the hole. It was about four feet long & was fully pissed off that I had interrupted it while it was doing snake stuff.

I froze in my tracks and damned near pissed my pants! I was afraid to move so the snake & I had a staring contest. After a couple of minutes the snake moved into the large hole, which was filled with sagebrush. It kind of took all the fun away from the adventure so I only looked for about 15 minutes before leaving. I found a few teeth and some whale bone.

As for the "don't leave CA you coward" sentiment: I don't fault anyone for feeling that way. I felt that way myself for years. In the end though, CA is a lost cause and the poor people of rural CA will be ruled by the pink-clad fist of San Francisco for the foreseeable future. Living the rest of my life in misery and denying my children freedom won't change that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebody;somewhere
I came into this world, kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood. I am prepared to leave the same way.
johnbrian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:13 PM   #107
AVL_AK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179324

Quote:
Originally Posted by bzub12 View Post

Find the rattle snake in this photo

I have had rattle snakes under my patio furniture, in my pool, in a garden hose plastic reel box on the side of my home, under a wheelbarrow in my backyard,in my garage, stretched out on the threshold of my back patio door, under my car in my driveway at night so when i approached to get in it hissed and rattled almost making me lose my bowels....I have seen them in rock outcroppings in the lakes and rivers around here and encountered them many times on hikes.

The worst encounter i have had with one was when one fell out of a Paloverde tree into my back yard and i heard it hit the ground and slither off very quickly under my patio furniture.

I even stepped on or right next to one that didn't rattle once in my own side yard.......it was a divine miracle i was not bitten.
I would be MOVING!!!
“Military Information Support Operations (MISO), previously known as Psychological Operations (PSYOP), uses themes and messages to reach target audiences in order to influence their emotions, motives, reasoning, and ultimately the behavior of foreign governments, organizations, groups, and individuals.” – Reaching The Target Audience, a thesis presented to the Faculty of the U.S. Army Command.
AVL_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #108
AVL_AK
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 179324

At an empty house I was working on I smelled something strange, turned around and there was a copperhead 3' away on the floor behind me, I went looking fo something to kill it with, when I returned it was gone. Previously I had poured post footers for deck posts at the same place when it was getting cold at night. I pulled the black plastic covering it off and there was a large copperhead coiled up on the warm curing concrete the next morning. I never thought I could jump that far as I was in the process of stepping over it when I saw it. That place has me kinda spooked to go in there now, and I still have much to do.
“Military Information Support Operations (MISO), previously known as Psychological Operations (PSYOP), uses themes and messages to reach target audiences in order to influence their emotions, motives, reasoning, and ultimately the behavior of foreign governments, organizations, groups, and individuals.” – Reaching The Target Audience, a thesis presented to the Faculty of the U.S. Army Command.
AVL_AK is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #109
Dixie Devil

AKaholic #: 186587

Weather is kind of nice so we have the windows open. We heard some slight commotion on the porch, but we have barn cats so no worry, figured they were just chasing frogs, then I heard the rattle. Cats were fucking with a two and a half foot copperhead on the porch. He was shaking his tail in dry leaves. Fucker was hard to see, glad the cats pointed him out. Sig 226 was handy so I fixed him up. This happened 20 minutes ago.

Last edited by Dixie Devil; 10-15-2017 at 11:23 PM.
Dixie Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #110
ml47

AKaholic #: 34615

I live in deep woods , no neighbors ,
central NH, 12 years at this location.

I have never seen a single snake of
any description.

That's the best snake story you can have .
ml47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 08:16 AM   #111
PermaAK
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 188710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spook76 View Post
Short version: While walking along a creek bed, a young water moccasin decided my leg looked tasty...He struck right about the time I saw him and realized what was about to happen. He hit as I was jumping up/away.

Thankfully, being young and not getting a fully solid bite, the only venom he got on me was on the surface, by one of the bite holes. I agreed with the docs at the hospital this was...fortunate.

Still had to be in the hospital longer than I liked, but all good in the end. Btw, contrary to the snake huggers declarations, this one did not immediately run away to safety from the (retreating) meany human "predator", and was in the act of trying additional strikes when I shot him from a few feet away.

Took quick phone pic once back in truck, before heading to the hospital:

ETA: While we see snakes pretty often on our property, I've only ever had to kill four--a copperhead, a rattler, and two water moccasins. If I can see a venomous snake in enough time, I try to just avoid it or shoo it out of my path, unless it's actively attacking me or just too close to the house for comfort. For non-venomous types, I'm happy they're near the house (or, anywhere), so leave them to their business.
Now that is frightening! Holy crap, I would have drove like a maniac.
+1 to your ETA.

Last edited by PermaAK; 10-16-2017 at 08:51 AM.
PermaAK is online now   Reply With Quote