Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gunsmithing & Build It Yourself

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2017, 12:13 PM   #36
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
What do you mean a milled recoil assembly?

What would really want to buy the gun in its current state? It sounds like you guys think this problem is no big deal when you say stuff like that. I hope that is what you are inferring! .

a milled recoil assembly is a telescoping 2 piece rod instead of the 2 wire setup, it may keep the carrier more in a straight line than a standard akm.

& yes a Sar1 is a good rifle & the Non-problem you're having isn't that big of a deal,

& i said "non-problem" because you haven't shot the rifle yet to see if it will function as is & if the carrier does jump the rail or get jammed the fix shouldn't be that hard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAguns View Post
check it with a no-go and if it passes fuckin shoot it lol
^this x2
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.

Last edited by Lane_H; 08-14-2017 at 12:22 PM.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 12:34 PM   #37
Maadi
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post
a milled recoil assembly is a telescoping 2 piece rod instead of the 2 wire setup, it may keep the carrier more in a straight line than a standard akm.

& yes a Sar1 is a good rifle & the Non-problem you're having isn't that big of a deal,

& i said "non-problem" because you haven't shot the rifle yet to see if it will function as is & if the carrier does jump the rail or get jammed the fix shouldn't be that hard.

^this x2
Cool info. My Norinco parts kit is actually milled so I have one of those, but the telescoping/milled recoil rod didn't change anything. I'll give it a squeeze tonight, and report back. I know SAR's are supposed to be GTG, but that's why I was surprised to encounter any issues. On the bright side, this problem may be why the gun has only been shot a few times in the last fifteen years and is almost like new.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 01:49 PM   #38
Floivanus
Member
 
AKaholic #: 191191
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Northern IN
Posts: 307
Default

My underfolder catches up once in a great while if I hand cycle it, lube the gun and try shooting it. Also try cycling the gun with the trigger pulled. It is a semi auto rifle, the disconnector typically holds the hammer down.

Typically com-bloc guns are work horses, your Romanian guns (Wasr, Sar, etc) Russians (Saiga, Vepr etc) and Chinese guns are hard to beat.
Floivanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 02:36 PM   #39
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
boutcha's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172420
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
Cool info. My Norinco parts kit is actually milled so I have one of those, but the telescoping/milled recoil rod didn't change anything. I'll give it a squeeze tonight, and report back. I know SAR's are supposed to be GTG, but that's why I was surprised to encounter any issues. On the bright side, this problem may be why the gun has only been shot a few times in the last fifteen years and is almost like new.
I don't think milled Norinco rifles used the telescoping spring.
Could be wrong.
I keep a few laying around.

BTW, shoot it.
I bet it is a non-issue.
__________________
boutcha

NOS Chinese Spiker Set, NOS Stock, Spiker Kit
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326214
IWD Chinese Spiker Stock Set, New, Extra Lower $225
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...98#post4183298
Hungarian IWD Stock Set
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 05:30 PM   #40
Maadi
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
I don't think milled Norinco rifles used the telescoping spring.
Could be wrong.
I keep a few laying around.

BTW, shoot it.
I bet it is a non-issue.
Well I have a milled (threaded) Type 56 barrel, and all the parts with it match serial numbers. I didn't know the telescoping recoil assembly was a milled design, but that only serves to validate that my parts kit came with the barrel. It's installed on a Maadi receiver BTW, but that's a whole other topic. I might wind up selling that one by parting it out, but if it shoots I'll probably keep it because it's so unique.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 10:46 PM   #41
GuzziMike
DEPLORABLE
 
GuzziMike's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159432
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Iguazu
Posts: 6,074
Default

Please, do let us know what happens when you shoot the weapon.


-
__________________



PALMS 7.62-39: Though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death, I will fear no evil, for I wield a mighty AK, and I'm Reckoning to Go Medieval on thy Marxist Demons


GuzziMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 PM   #42
boutcha
Curio & Relic
Contributor
 
boutcha's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 172420
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Moscow, Russia
Posts: 6,387
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
Well I have a milled (threaded) Type 56 barrel, and all the parts with it match serial numbers. I didn't know the telescoping recoil assembly was a milled design, but that only serves to validate that my parts kit came with the barrel. It's installed on a Maadi receiver BTW, but that's a whole other topic. I might wind up selling that one by parting it out, but if it shoots I'll probably keep it because it's so unique.
Sounds like a Century built MISR90 built on an Egyptian receiver.
Am I right?
If so, yes you have problems.
Without pictures, this thread is not going to be helpful.
__________________
boutcha

NOS Chinese Spiker Set, NOS Stock, Spiker Kit
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=326214
IWD Chinese Spiker Stock Set, New, Extra Lower $225
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...98#post4183298
Hungarian IWD Stock Set
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=319273
boutcha is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:43 AM   #43
Maadi
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by boutcha View Post
Sounds like a Century built MISR90 built on an Egyptian receiver.
Am I right?
If so, yes you have problems.
Without pictures, this thread is not going to be helpful.
Yea, it's kinda like a MISR, but mine is a Maadi ARM stamped receiver with a milled Chinese kit. I'd say it's better than a MISR in a lot of ways, like the receiver isn't cut, and the milled parts are all matching. Still, my point is that you all can stop being jealous, since I just have that and this SAR we're talking about.

Anyways, I fell asleep after dental surgery and haven't put the SAR in the vice yet. It probably does shoot fine because the pressure from the recoil assembly would be pressing the back of the carrier downward. Plus, there's no massive abrasion marks where it would've jammed. I just want to be able to rack it without it jamming because even if I try and pull it straight back it catches half the time.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 10:24 AM   #44
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 3,966
Default

I think about half of us that have built on a 80% or flat receiver have "over-squished" a center support thus causing the inner measurement of the top rails to be to Narrow and requiring adjustments; either by bending them apart or by filing/sanding away some metal to achieve the proper width..

by that same thought, pressing on the center support (slightly) should allow the width of the top rails to be adjusted - especially at the middle (or near it) where your issue is occurring.

*as i said before- just take it easy and don't over do it- Don't make it to narrow/tight so that it pinches on the carrier,
but if you do- filing and sanding the edge can open it up to the proper width.
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 01:31 PM   #45
Richardmofo
Veteran Member
 
Richardmofo's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 165722
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Houston,Tx
Posts: 1,740
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane_H View Post

*as i said before- just take it easy and don't over do it- Don't make it to narrow/tight so that it pinches on the carrier,
but if you do- filing and sanding the edge can open it up to the proper width.
I haven't done an AK build but when I'm doing HK builds I will have the bolt carrier in so I don't over do it. Seems like having the bolt carrier in his AK when he is squeezing it would help to not over do it. Just a thought.
__________________
Originally Posted by DeathRider
Cant do it now to my internet face then I say you are a coward.


Richardmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 08:07 PM   #46
Maadi
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 102
Default

Okay it's done. I used a big C clamp to squeeze the center support as tight as I could possibly get it, but it didn't have any effect. So I put it in the vice and squeezed it down pretty tight, and then gave it half a turn real tight. Slapped the bolt in and the problem is gone! Thanks guys, having the confidence that I was doing the right thing really helped. I can't make it catch now even if I pull up as I rack it.

I also put a new G2 trigger/hammer in there, so she's GTG all the way around. I kinda want to get a slant brake on it, but it's too thin to thread, even 1/2x28.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2017, 11:40 PM   #47
Lane_H
Grrr! Screw your 30 seconds!
 
Lane_H's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 182543
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Ala-F'n-bama
Posts: 3,966
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
What do you mean a milled recoil assembly?

What would really want to buy the gun in its current state? It sounds like you guys think this problem is no big deal when you say stuff like that. I hope that is what you are inferring! I was worried the gun might be a lemon and that I got ripped off. As an AR guy I have found AK's to be disconcerting thus far to say the least. I guess I'm just not very trusting of Russian guns yet, but oddly enough I got fixated on collecting AK's recently LOL.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maadi View Post
Okay it's done. I used a big C clamp to squeeze the center support as tight as I could possibly get it, but it didn't have any effect. So I put it in the vice and squeezed it down pretty tight, and then gave it half a turn real tight. Slapped the bolt in and the problem is gone! Thanks guys, having the confidence that I was doing the right thing really helped. I can't make it catch now even if I pull up as I rack it.

I also put a new G2 trigger/hammer in there, so she's GTG all the way around. I kinda want to get a slant brake on it, but it's too thin to thread, even 1/2x28.
cool!

since you think this rifle hasn't been shot much, it may still have a "break in" period.
- take some sorta light gun oil clp or machine oil (like 3 in 1) with you to the range.

the 1st few magazines of a new build i like to lube the rails, carrier, bolt lugs & top of the hammer excessively so that any break-in wear is more of a Smoothing action as opposed to a metal on metal grinding or cutting action.

be sure and post a follow up on how it does at the range

as for the muzzle- take some measurements & pics of what you've got and I am sure someone can come up with an answer/suggestions.
__________________
-

Arguing with a man who has renounced his reason is like giving medicine to the dead.
Lane_H is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:16 AM   #48
Maadi
Member
 
AKaholic #: 193622
Join Date: Aug 2017
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 102
Default

I should clarify for posterity that I didn't squeeze the center post in the vice. The center post seemed to kinda flatten a little after three attempts under the C clamp, each a little tighter than before, but when I put the carrier bac into the receiver I didn't notice any improvement. So I gave up on the center post and went directly at bending the rail.

When I put the receiver in the vice I was careful not to put the whole receiver in, but rather I tilted the gun so that the main part being squeezed was that bolt cutout area. Also, this gun has the scope attachment on the left, which I did it put into the vice, but used it as sort of a guide of how deep to set the receiver. I had probably thirty or so sheets of notebook paper laying within the vice to protect my metal from scratching. And that's how I did it. First try, problem fixed. I got it so tight that I figured the metal had just started to flex, and then I gave it a quarter to half turn more just to ensure it didn't bounce back too easily. I probably should have gone a little lighter on the first attempt, but it doesn't look bad or anything so it came out perfect.
Maadi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2017, 02:22 PM   #49
tracerbob
Member
 
AKaholic #: 173367
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: NW Florida
Posts: 176
Default

It might be just me but in the first picture, the charging handle side of the bolt carrier does not look healthy. It appears that there is some material missing. It should be a straight line from the charging handle back to the rear and parallel to the other side.

__________________
There's no further education to be had from the second kick of a Mule.
tracerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #50
Metatron
Senior Member
 
Metatron's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179696
Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Omnipresent
Posts: 697
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracerbob View Post
It might be just me but in the first picture, the charging handle side of the bolt carrier does not look healthy. It appears that there is some material missing. It should be a straight line from the charging handle back to the rear and parallel to the other side.

akm carriers have a lightening cut in this area which is normal

Metatron is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:03 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2017 The AK FIles