Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > AK-74s

Notices

Old 10-16-2014, 06:15 PM   #36
nicoatxo

AKaholic #: 176246

1) Classic Firearms
2) May '13
3) 21xx
4) Intermittent failures to feed & eject after ~600 rounds. Rounds would get wedged against the feed ramp when chambering, and empty shell casings would get stuck inside the receiver.
5) Mostly 7n6 along with some Wolf and Monarch, using Circle 10, Tapco, and Polish steel magazines.
6) Sent it back to Waffen for repair. Got it back a few months later from CMP Armory. The receiver is still crooked but it looks like it was worked on. Haven't had the chance to fire it yet.

7) Rifle came with synthetic plum furniture in excellent condition. It did have a little bit of rust on the hammer spring when I first received it. The rivet holes are are slightly farther back on the right side, causing the receiver to be slightly crooked. Because of this, there are uneven gaps where the receiver meets the lower handguard, as well as where it meets the stock. This also made the safety lever very hard to move until certain areas were filed down. Despite the asymmetry of the receiver, it didn't have any problems until after about 600-700 rounds of 7n6 with regular cleaning and lubrication.
nicoatxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 08:25 PM   #37
john0409

AKaholic #: 176833

1. Classic Firearms
2. September 2014
3. 030xx
4. Intermittent FTE
5. Monarch
6. Not fixed
7. Before I ordered this rifle I sent classic firearms an email asking if their current batch of WW AK74's were being assembled by DDI. They told me yes. I assumed that I would be getting a solid AK that would function flawlessly. I realized that I was sadly mistaken after a dissappointing trip to the range this afternoon.
john0409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:53 PM   #38
Richardmofo
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 165722

Quote:
Originally Posted by john0409 View Post
1. Classic Firearms
2. September 2014
3. 030xx
4. Intermittent FTE
5. Monarch
6. Not fixed
7. Before I ordered this rifle I sent classic firearms an email asking if their current batch of WW AK74's were being assembled by DDI. They told me yes. I assumed that I would be getting a solid AK that would function flawlessly. I realized that I was sadly mistaken after a dissappointing trip to the range this afternoon.
If you haven't already contact DDI. I just had to send mine in for the same thing. They had it fixed and shipped it out in the same day. They even emailed me a video of them doing 2 mag dumps.

Richardmofo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 08:23 PM   #39
Salty74

AKaholic #: 172638

1) Classic Firearms
2) Oct 2013
3) 036**
4) FTE the first 2 rounds ever fired from the rifle. Nothing since then.
5) Only 7n6. Around 1200 rds so far.
6) Hand cycling the bolt a few times.
7) When I received the rifle it was extremely tight. I used a pry bar to take the top cover off the first time. It still takes a hammer to release the gas tube. The bcg is sometimes difficult to put back after cleaning. But it is much more accurate than expected.
Salty74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 08:06 PM   #40
Stupit

AKaholic #: 177017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stupit View Post
1) Classic Firearms Grade B
2) Jan '14
3) SN 0488X
4) Numerous FTE, FTF, FSB not installed correctly.
5) Silver Bear, Wolf, Red Army Standard, 7N6
6) A competent gunsmith.

7) I bought this rifle on sale as a gift for my girlfriend. I refinished the wood, turned out great, and was really a nice looking rifle. That's where the good part ended. First day out at the range, she was having FTF's and FTE every other round. Then after about ten shots, the FSB turned 90 degrees, fell off. The FSB was never pinned, the barrel was never even drilled for pins to be installed, just lightly pressed on and sent out the door. I tried to contact WW with no response, so I had a local gunsmith align, drill and pin the FSB back in place. The next trip to the range the rifle jammed, and failed to feed at least once in every five rounds. Frustrated (AK's are supposed to be the most reliable guns right???) with WW's refusal to get back to me, I put the gun in the back of the safe and forgot about it for a few months. It has been bothering me that we have a useless gun in the safe so I again took it to a smith and asked him to look at it. He was able to fix it.....but it needed a new receiver. A new Nodak Spud receiver and the gun now shoots like its supposed to. What I thought was going to be a great deal turned into an expensive one. But hey, at least I have WW paperweight receiver now
UPDATE:

I was just about to cut up and throw away the original WW receiver. It was just pissing me off every time I saw it and thought about how much frustration it caused, when I started reading that DDI was trying to resurrect the WW reputation. On a chance, I boxed up the old out of spec receiver and sent it to DDI to see if they would replace it, thus alleviating some of the financial loss the original caused me. DDI did in fact REPLACE the junk receiver with a new production receiver. I have to give DDI credit. They replaced/warrantied something they themselves did not make or sell for profit, and took the financial loss of sending out a new product. I would have no problem buying from a company like DDI in the future.
Stupit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 11:35 PM   #41
skidude9678

AKaholic #: 175703

Helped a friend build a rifle on a WW receiver a few weeks ago. Rails are out of spec (too far apart, huge amounts of lateral movement of the bolt in receiver, causing constant failures to eject), rear trunnion holes were drilled too far back so the rear trunnion hangs out slightly, and one of the axis pin holes is egged pretty bad. It's basically scrap.
skidude9678 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:54 AM   #42
LegioRomanus
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167972

I have three words for you, my friend.......NoDak Spud Receiver!

Why anyone would chance building a new rifle on a shitty Waffen Werks receiver is hard to understand. Not flaming you guys but....damn.....
LegioRomanus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2014, 11:59 AM   #43
skidude9678

Quote:
Originally Posted by LegioRomanus View Post
I have three words for you, my friend.......NoDak Spud Receiver!

Why anyone would chance building a new rifle on a shitty Waffen Werks receiver is hard to understand. Not flaming you guys but....damn.....
Preaching to the choir, I'd never in my life buy a WW receiver. I recommended he get a Childers but he said they were too expensive for him, so I at least recommended the McKay blems Atlantic has, but no, he bought a WW. Got to pull out the "I told you so" line on him.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:33 PM   #44
Eugene Onegin
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 3958

1. InRange
2.Ser # 021xx
3. Sept.2014
4. rust around the rails
5.no problems
6. Wolf ammo
This one .
http://www.theakforum.net/forums/34-...w-ak-74-a.html

Last edited by Eugene Onegin; 11-23-2014 at 07:42 PM. Reason: link .
Eugene Onegin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 10:45 PM   #45
Celticfire

AKaholic #: 154994
Default The one I had was a nice gun.

1) Another individual
2) Little over a year ago
3) Can't remember, gave it to one of my Sons. Will ask him next time I see him.
4) Gun functioned flawlessly, and I fired a couple hundred rounds through it before gifting it to the one Son. He's used it without issues since he's had it.
5) Wolf, Golden Tiger, etc.
6) N/A
7) I never had any problems w/the one I picked up. Have a friend who lives a few miles from me who has one. He's never had any problems w/his nor have I when I shot it a few times when visiting him.
Celticfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2014, 06:10 AM   #46
hoevito
Superhero

AKaholic #: 163060

1) AGS Armament
2) October 2012
3) 045x
4) NONE
5) 7n6
6) No issues to fix...rifle has been absolutely flawless
7) Serial number in the 450's, apparently early run of Waffen in house receivers, as it's not a Nodak spud. Still, rifle has been great so far after nearly 1000 rouds of 7n6, tapco and Russian surplus mags used
Old 12-01-2014, 12:40 PM   #47
mtndew

AKaholic #: 177228

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude9678 View Post
Helped a friend build a rifle on a WW receiver a few weeks ago. Rails are out of spec (too far apart, huge amounts of lateral movement of the bolt in receiver, causing constant failures to eject), rear trunnion holes were drilled too far back so the rear trunnion hangs out slightly, and one of the axis pin holes is egged pretty bad. It's basically scrap.
Same here. I was able to fix all three problems myself at no cost to me, but damn! I went this route because I wanted to be lazy as opposed to doing a blank or flat this time. Ended up doing about the same amount of work! These same three problems keep cropping up on these receivers in reviews I have read. I did a review of this receiver where I purchased at Classic Firearms.
mtndew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 01:12 AM   #48
Wildcamaro

AKaholic #: 174841

1) classic firearms
2) december 2014
3) 082xx (I am assuming this is the ww# not the circle 10 number?)
4) shooting in 10 hours lol
5) going to shoot wolf 60gr
6) Hopefully there is none!
7) reciever finish is excellent, safety finish a little rough, grade b stock is better than expected. Gas tube lever tight, but can release by hand.

I'm going to burn a few hundred rounds tomorrow and I will report back. Check out my thread to see pics of the rifle. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=205731
Wildcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 07:15 PM   #49
Wildcamaro

AKaholic #: 174841

Well I do not have good news to report unfortunately. First I bench rested the rifle in order to zero in my iron sights. The rifle shot flawlessly from the tapco 10 round magazine doing slow single shots. So after my sight in I decided to verify that the rifle was reliable so I planned on doing a couple successive may dumps to get the rifle smoking hot which is where the problems started.

First I was going to lay dump with my Tula plum mags and wolf 60 grain fmj. I only got two shots off before I had a double feed. So I cleared the malfunction and tried again, this time I got a FTE. I tried a third time and I noticed the bolt locked to the rear and would not go forward even when smacked. This is where I got a case stuck in with the bolt carrier and I have that gem in a picture below. I then thought it was magazine related so I tried the only other mag I had which was a tapco that came with the rifle. It fired without issue with only 10 rounds in the mag. I the. Tried it with 20 rounds loaded and had another FTE. So overall it was a bad but I'm going to give the rifle another try before contacting DDI. Hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Wildcamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015, 11:19 PM   #50
Phantoms

AKaholic #: 174937

First ak74
1) Third owner, unsure of origin.
2) Dec. 2013
3) 31XX
4) Very tight safety lever-- fixed with bending and sanding.
5) ~1500 rounds 7n6.
It hits cans consistently at 75 yards.
I bought it with a plum and wood furniture set, and neither butt stock fits correctly. The plum is much tighter than the wood but there is still some wobble. It also looks like a previous owner kept the original muzzle brake and replaced with a replica. These rifles were supposed to come with a chrome lined zigzag brake, correct?

The rifle has been 100% reliable with tapco and circle 10 mags. 2 FTE with promags. I proceeded to throw them in the trash on the way home.

Both stocks fit flush before I screw them in. But once they're screwed in they both fit like this.....
[img]http://s11.************/ipwnc73n7/DSC02565.jpg[/img]
Phantoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 01:28 PM   #51
MattK512

AKaholic #: 178705

Since the WW74s are being purchased more frequently I thought I'd bring this thread up. My own answers to the OPs quesitons:

1) Where you bought it: Classic Firearms
2) When you bought it: Oct 2013
3) Approximate serial number of your receiver(ie 20xx): 31xx

4) Known issues: FTE: Failure to Eject - extracts fine and only after 3-4 full mags of firing, takes a bit of sustained heat. the empty shel get stuck up between the trunion and the dust cover on the right like the pics in this thread, seems common.

5) What ammo you've tried: Monarch 60, Silver Bear 60, Wolf Poly 69gr, Wolf Classic 60gr - I truly believe that ammo and mags do not contribute in any way to my or most WW74 issues.

6) What fixed the problems: I took a rubber mallet and bent the reciever rails closer together - so far, so good. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=219025

7) Other Relevant Notes about your rifle: never been back to DDI for warranty, and my warranty from WW ended oct 2014.

Fit and finish is beautiful - FSB and GB are straight - furniture fits good - mags do wobble, but i've never had an issue with any loading bad - tapco, bulgy commercial (CDNN) and bulgy surplus all load excelent.

I don't trust it with my life - fun rifle, but they all are. I think I am going to test it again since it is still dirty from my last test, mag dump 300 rounds and see if it sputters. I know that is not necassarily a lot, but it ain't a little and should get the gun plenty hot.
MattK512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 06:52 PM   #52
sdcromer
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 1279

1) Where you bought it Classic Firearms
2) When you bought it 27 April 2015
3) Approximate serial number of your receiver(ie 20xx) 0434X
4) Known issues Two failures to feed in first 120 rounds, one in an EG bakelite magazine, and another in a Bulgarian Circle-21 magazine. Tapco mag and a Polish steel magazine ran great
5) What ammo you've tried Silver Bear
6) What fixed the problems Not panicking just yet. Will give it a few hundred more rounds to see if it settles in...
7) Other Relevant Notes about your rifle I had to drift the front sight about 2 mm to the right to get it sighted in.
Old 04-28-2015, 07:52 PM   #53
ttman

AKaholic #: 4324

1) Classic
2) got it 4-25-15
3) 83xx
4) 1 fail to feed in 130 rounds, was a HP using a polish steel mag. I tried 5 different mags that day.
5) 7n6, WPA
6) nothing
7) front sight came "zeroed" off center, leaning left. they didn't zero it correctly, after I zeroed it, sight was close to perfectly centered in FSB. the milling on rear sight block is done pretty ruff, like a dull machining blade was used on it. none of the wood matched, had trench art. oh yeah my sheppard's hook was also replaced w/a plate!

Last edited by ttman; 04-29-2015 at 08:47 PM.
ttman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:54 PM   #54
45/70

AKaholic #: 172930

My info, can find further in depth issues in other threads.

1) Where you bought it Classic's $499.00 sale

2) When you bought it purch Apr 22 or 23, 2015 received Apr 26 highly satisfied with the quick shipping
3) Approximate serial number of your receiver(ie 20xx) 80xx

4) Known issues
1. trigger would not reset. found one of the braided springs (rt side) was under trigger rails. pulled it up and positioned properly and seems to function as it should.

2. Two FTE with stuck cases. first was fixed at range, second taken home and easy knock out.

5) What ammo you've tried Only one available at the time RAS. Have some Silver Bear on order. Crossing fingers the stuck cases are ammo issues.

6) What fixed the problems See above. I had emailed DDI about the trigger issue and 2 days later no answer from them. Hope I do not have to go back about the extraction problems.

7) Other Relevant Notes about your rifle Looks great, fit and finish are good, happy with Classic shipping, just frustrated to have issues with a brand new rifle.
45/70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 09:47 AM   #55
45/70

Update, testing with silver bear showed no failures of any sort. I guarantee that will be the last RAS ammo I buy.
Old 04-30-2015, 10:17 AM   #56
FTD_Brat

AKaholic #: 162405

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45/70 View Post
Update, testing with silver bear showed no failures of any sort. I guarantee that will be the last RAS ammo I buy.
Good to know, I haven't bought any yet nor will I.
III%er
FTD_Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #57
45/70

I talked to the owner of the LGS that I had the gun shipped to and figured I would be helpful and let him know the issues with RAS ammo. He said he wished he would have seen me buying it, he would have told me the same thing. They are just trying to clear their shelves of it and it was the only 5.45 that they could get. Said even if the factory would not have blown they would not be buying anymore.

I have shot tons of it in 7.62x39 in my WASR and a SKS's with no problems at all, seems they screwed the pooch with the 5.45 flavor.
Old 05-01-2015, 08:55 PM   #58
skidude9678

I had several issues with some pretty serious stuck cases with Red Army Standard 5.45. It's junk.
Old 05-01-2015, 09:36 PM   #59
Bear94

AKaholic #: 175421

Quote:
Originally Posted by skidude9678 View Post
I had several issues with some pretty serious stuck cases with Red Army Standard 5.45. It's junk.
It's safe to say that RAS in 5.45 should be a no-go with these rifles considering how many of us have had issues with it.
Bear94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 08:09 AM   #60
FTD_Brat

AKaholic #: 162405

I'm testing about five different types of 5.45 at the range today, I'll let you guys know how that goes.
III%er
FTD_Brat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 AM   #61
SeventyGTX

AKaholic #: 165081

1) Where you bought it: Atlantic Firearms ($629)
2) When you bought it: 2012 (can't remember exact month)
3) Approximate serial number of your receiver: early build WW 002xx
4) Known issues: None after around roughly 500 rounds
5) What ammo you've tried: Silver Bear, Golden Tiger, 7n6
6) What fixed the problems: None to report
7) Other Relevant Notes about your rifle: Not really a lot of rounds fired through it. Installed NOS Russian Plum set, stock fits absolutely perfect. Never tried the Tapco mag that came with it

Really really pleased with this rifle so far. Fit and finish is amazing and looks awesome with the Russian plum. Today I am picking up an Arsenal SLR-104FR and it will be interesting to compare quality. Honestly, I don't see how it could be much better than this Waffen Werks. Although admittedly I am no pro with these things, just love to shoot and admire them.
SeventyGTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 12:44 PM   #62
TangyAftertaste

AKaholic #: 180892

1.) Classic Firearms
2.) 04/18/2015
3.) Serial Number: WW08XXX
4.) Right hand lower (bolt) rail loose in receiver (missing welds)
5.) WPA 60gr FMJ, 7N6 53gr FMJ, Barnaul Non-Corrosive Spam Can 60gr FMJ, RAS 69gr FMJ
6.) Rifle was sent to DDI to have rail welded in place
7.) The rifle has experienced zero malfunctions.

A note about my experience with DDI's service for anyone wondering:

My correspondence with DDI was this.. I called them, spoke with a gentleman in Customer Service. I emailed him a video of the rail loose in the receiver and he sent me a form to fill out and include with the rifle. I sent it off on 05/26/15, and it was delivered on 05/29/15. I emailed the same guy in their Customer Service and let him know it was delivered. He emailed me The on Monday 06/01 to let me know it would be looked at by Wednesday 06/10. Since I hadn't heard back, I inquired on Thursday 06/11 and got a response the same day, saying this: "Should have it ready to go next week. Sorry for the delay but it’s been very busy with the huge amount of WW rifles that Classic shipped out plus our own product being produced."

That was the last I heard from them about it, and my rifle was delivered on 06/17/15. No tracking or correspondence letting me know it was headed my way (this didn't bother me a bit, but I am including it for those who may want to know.)

Overall I am extremely happy with this purchase and would buy it again. First range trip after getting the rifle back from DDI I put 300 rounds total through it (on 06/21). I shot the WW/DDI rifle completely dry, no lube whatsoever. The first 7 mags were all done as fast as possible, I got it so hot I couldn't hold on to it anymore. 210 rounds as fast as I could shoot and reload, roughly 5 minutes perhaps? (I didn't time it, it was probably way less, I shot through each mag in a matter of seconds) The final 3 mags were shot at varying degrees of speed, other times throughout the day. Since that range trip it has tagged along with me a couple times and has a total of about 550 rounds with multiple brands of ammo as of 07/06/15 (Somehow I got lucky with my range packs of RAS, it has been 100% in all 3 rifles I have used it in, however I will not be buying anymore due to so many reported problems with that ammo).

Last edited by TangyAftertaste; 07-06-2015 at 12:57 PM.
TangyAftertaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 02:27 PM   #63
1feral1

AKaholic #: 1283

1) Where you bought it: Affordable firearms, Pehlam NH
2) When you bought it: 04 Oct 15
3) Approximate serial number of your receiver: early build WW 002XX
4) Known issues: Not yet fired. Soon I hope.
5) What ammo you've tried: Purchased Silver Bear, and 7N6
6) What fixed the problems: Nil problems - Yet to fire, will update when fired.
7) Other Relevant Notes about your rifle: As new, no wear on inner parts, and outside is mint. Was a consignment rifle from a local collector.
Old 08-13-2017, 01:33 AM   #64
rangerup

AKaholic #: 193154

Sorry to resurrect a zombie thread put I recently came into possession of a waffen werks 74 and figured I would share my experience as well.
1) Originally came from classic
2) Withing the last few months.
3) In the 2k range
4) Receiver is garbage. I will elaborate a bit later
5) Tula, Wolf, Monarch
6) Blow torch, vise, hammer and punches

So when I received this rifle it would not reliably run thru any mag. I tried 3 different types of ammo and 10 different surplus magazines, both Bulgarian and Russian. It would have multiple stoppages on each magazine from the start.
Upon close examination of the receiver, it appeared that the receiver was out of tolerance. There seemed to be a bit of excessive play for the bolt carrier and bolt on the rails. In essence this would cause a spent shell case to miss the ejector and hang on the extractor. As the rifle would attempt to continue its cycle of function, sometimes the case would be jarred loose and land close to my feet, or otherwise be very weak or erratic. More often it would jar loose the case inside the action causing complete stoppages of the rifle since the cases would fly where ever they pleased within the receiver.
The fix: I had to peen out some extra material from the ejector to ensure reliable ejection. Yes I understand that making the metal thinner and longer can add to advanced wear and weaken it. I figured it was better to attempt to fix myself and have a running rifle for a while at least. Since DDI is now owned by PSA I am fairly certain my Waffen Werks marked receiver, warranty would not be honored, not to mention I have heard more bad than good on sending it in for repairs.
So adding some ejector material, polishing the chamber and doing a diy trigger job, this rifle now slings lead as it should. Ejection is consistent and flies into the next zip code. My particular example has a chrome lined barrel and zig zag break. The sights are centered and shoot to POA/POI and groups nice and tight. I have not been able to take it out to distance beyond 100m yet but am confident it should perform well. The rest of the bulgy parts look in great shape with very minimal finish wear and have matching numbers. I will likely change out receivers eventually should the opportunity to snatch up a nice one comes along. In the meantime my WW 74 runs great now. So in essence the parts are great and was put together well but mine should never have passed QC to begin with. The receiver is just too much of a piece of crap and sorry to say it, if that is the product that WW was pushing then there is a reason they are no longer playing in the AK game.
rangerup is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:14 AM   #65
imacbo

AKaholic #: 4161

1) From Armslist / local individual
2) 3 Months
3) 045XX
4) No issues so far
5) Just surplus
6) N/A
7) Nothing noteworthy very nice looking build shoot poa/poi works with Magpul, Bulgy and Polish mags. I only have about 250-350 rds though the rifle so far but 100% so far.
imacbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:42 AM   #66
LegioRomanus
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 167972

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonOfDenham View Post
I've been lurking here long enough, I guess I should answer this thread since it could be helpful for other members.

7) I was very fortunate with the timing on my rifle. I picked mine up as soon as they became available on Atlantic's site after Sandy Hook. It seems QC started to drop shortly afterwards.
And QC went to hell because Classic Arms was all up in Waffen Werks' shit to MAKE MORE asap as they sensed an opportunity to sell rifles at that time.

They have admitted this in the past too.

So (I suspect) Waffen Werks hired more rifle assemblers who did not have the skills they needed and they stopped using NoDak Spud receivers which were always spot on spec and started to "roll their own."

So the above led to their downfall.

Should Waffen Werks have told Classic Arms...."Look, we only have limited staff and can only produce x rifles per month with decent quality?"

If they (Waffen Werks) had done so, they might still be in business. But I realize I am being a "Monday morning quarterback" to state this.

BUT ......if a company starts putting out shitty firearms it will soon be posted all over the various internet gun boards and they will be held accountable by buyers (us).

SORRY, did not mean to sidetrack OP's thread.

Yes, I bought one but have never got around to shooting it.

The one I bought looks to have straight sights and decent build quality.

I did cycle rounds through it from a good AK-74 magazine loaded with Silver Bear 60-grain ammo before I put it into storage and it fed and ejected these rounds fine.

This is all I can add to this thread at present.
LegioRomanus is offline   Reply With Quote