Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 01-12-2017, 12:06 AM   #36
Garik

AKaholic #: 179998

So I will be picking up the rifle soon. What mineral spirit would work? Any brand?

And I'm assuming it won't damage the finish of the metal if I leave it overnight?
Old 01-12-2017, 12:13 AM   #37
S. Fisher
Contributor

AKaholic #: 10729

Any brand, I prefer the odorless kind, it's pretty cheap at Home Depot or lumber box store of your choice.
It won't hurt the metal parts if left overnight, but a toothbrush or vegetable brush will make short work of the cosmoline.
A general dissolution of principles and manners will more surely overthrow the liberties of America than the whole force of the common enemy. While the people are virtuous they cannot be subdued; but when once they lose their virtue then will be ready to surrender their liberties to the first external or internal invader.
Samuel Adams, letter to James Warren, February 12, 1779
S. Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 03:12 PM   #38
9mm

AKaholic #: 172597

Yep, what he said above, soak, go have a beer, scrub it let it soak, go have a beer and repeat.
Old 01-13-2017, 12:05 AM   #39
Garik

Got the action and barrel soaking in mineral spirits but I need to get more. The trigger assembly and bolt are in the sink soaking in mineral spirits as well, and stock is in front of the fire place. Will post pics when done.

Also AIM said it was in good condition, I gotta call bull. Its in even better condition, shiny bore and not a ding in the stock.
Old 01-13-2017, 03:49 PM   #40
Garik

I still do need to get a decent camera though.
Old 01-14-2017, 12:17 PM   #41
Inusuit

AKaholic #: 189001

Wos Looking good, very nice rifle. When I got my Yugo SKS, I boiled all the small parts in a mixture of 50-50 Simple Green and water. Worked great to remove the cosmoline, although don't use the wife's best pans for this, ask me how I know. With this method, I did not disassemble the bolt to get the firing pin out as many recommend. After boiling, the pin rattled in the bolt. I check it every time after shooting and so far so good.
Inusuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 06:19 PM   #42
bbguns44

AKaholic #: 6939

Boiling hot water from a tea kettle will instantly remove all the grease. Put all the metal
parts in a roasting aluminum pan, the disposable kind, punch a few slits in the bottom
of the pan for the hot water to slowly drain out, put a few sheets of newspaper over
the bottom of the pan to filter out the melted grease.

Then place the parts in the pan & pour hot water in. Carefully remove the parts, toothbrush if needed. The hot parts will dry in a few seconds. Let the greasy water slowly
drain out the pan. Toss the greasy newspaper in the trash. Done. 5 minutes.
bbguns44 is online now   Reply With Quote