Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SKSs, SVTs and other orphans

Notices

Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 PM   #1
sboone
MAK Attacker

AKaholic #: 179556
Default New 58 from CSA

PSA

Incase anyone has ever got the fever to build something sort of a RPK-58 kinda thing, CSA now offers the VZ-58 in 18.75 barrel lengths. This makes a total of 4 possible lengths in 7.62x39, 7.62, 12.25, 16.25, and 18.75 currently offered.

https://www.czechpoint-usa.com/vz-58-military-sr-762?l=

Just gotta get that bipod from a kit

"When I die, I want to be buried 1" below the surface that way 1/2" of me can still poke up to say "hey there pretty lady."."

http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327470

For Rmiller^^^
sboone is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:48 PM   #2
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

Doesn't appear to have a bipod lug for the bipod to attach to
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 11:16 PM   #3
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brasky View Post
Doesn't appear to have a bipod lug for the bipod to attach to
MIght have to press one on then? Im just spitballing mostly, never had a 58 with a bipod I just figured they used the bayonet mount or were pressed on

"When I die, I want to be buried 1" below the surface that way 1/2" of me can still poke up to say "hey there pretty lady."."

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-02-2017, 09:04 AM   #4
Knecht
vz.58 parts source

AKaholic #: 178118

Yes, the bipods were attached to the bayonet mount. Only issued to the Pi model with IR scope.
There actually was a RPK-ish attempt for the vz.58, called project Kleč, but never made it beyond a small prototype production run (9 pieces, 3 different rifling types - conventional and two polygonal). Recently couple of those prototypes were available on the civilian market, but the price was outrageous. Testing has showed that the simplest modification to a light machinegun (pretty much 200mm longer barrel, muzzle device and different stock) wasn't good enough and the gun was rejected. It was stated that it would be possible to overcome the problems it had, but the army didn't really have much interest in that and the project was shut.
http://www.gunexpert.sk/products/projekt-klec/
Old 12-02-2017, 09:08 AM   #5
nalioth
Devil's Advocate & Moderator

AKaholic #: 5678

Quote:
Originally Posted by sboone View Post
MIght have to press one on then? Im just spitballing mostly, never had a 58 with a bipod I just figured they used the bayonet mount or were pressed on
These are made-for-Canada guns, now being imported here.

Not "RPK" versions.
nalioth is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:48 AM   #6
Brasky
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 187139

Quote:
MIght have to press one on then? I’m just spitballing mostly, never had a 58 with a bipod I just figured they used the bayonet mount or were pressed on
They do use the bayonet lug but there is no bayonet lug pictured. Should be a rail like lug under the front sight and it is not present in the photos

Typically CSA 58s do not have a bayonet lug
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #7
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

Not "RPK" versions.
RPKish, I meant in the terms of hey heres a longer barreled version that might be fun for someone to build a wannabe lmg VZ-58 off of and many here are familiar with the RPK. Different rifles entirely I agree, call it click bait if you want.

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-02-2017, 07:54 PM   #8
Scott7891
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 58999

Quote:
Originally Posted by nalioth View Post

Not "RPK" versions.
Makes sense why they had the longer barrel and are still in stock at Czechpoint where every other gun is sold out.

They should send them back to Canada.
Scott7891 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 03:30 PM   #9
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott7891 View Post
Makes sense why they had the longer barrel and are still in stock at Czechpoint where every other gun is sold out.

They should send them back to Canada.
The dollar is too weak for people to want to pay 1500 syrupdollars for them when you can get them for 900 second hand.
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:36 PM   #10
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

I think it’s cool they are bringing those in.
Old 12-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #11
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horse View Post
I think its cool they are bringing those in.
Me too, I think one of these new 18.75 barrels paired with an elcan 1x/4x would make one heck of a useful rifle by all accounts, of course thats the wet dream rifle, but theres other much more viable options for a mid range budget

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-05-2017, 02:47 PM   #12
Mk

AKaholic #: 193611

My 16.25" is one of my favorite rifles. Glad they are importing them here.
Mk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 03:26 PM   #13
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Me too, I think one of these new 18.75 barrels paired with an elcan 1x/4x would make one heck of a useful rifle by all accounts, of course thats the wet dream rifle, but theres other much more viable options for a mid range budget
It only adds like 20fps over the 16" barrel. Its not enough to make any real difference
Old 12-05-2017, 06:37 PM   #14
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
It only adds like 20fps over the 16" barrel. Its not enough to make any real difference
I understand your point because its the same reason I want a 12.xx barreled VZ-58 and its the reason I bought the scorpion pistol instead of the carbine. But by that very logic the one could argue that everyone who bought a firearm chambered in 7.62x39 is wrong if they bought a 16 version because the velocity increase from 12-13 barrel to 16 is roughly 50 FPS based on my own (as well as 2 other filers that same day) experience chronographing 7.62x39. In fact I started a thread on it somewhere in the ammo sub forum.

With the new 18.xx VZ-58 as with the scorpion carbine the benefits of the longer barrel are not in velocity although there is a gain however slight, but moreso with sight radius and stability and the fact that its just cool to have more options and the 18.xx 58 would be a good start for some sort of DMR or pseudo lmg build up

With efficiency in mind I would agree that the 18 is not a great choice and that personally one would be better served with 12 barrel with an upper handguard optic mound w/ rmr style and a good folding brace to give you the most advantage in weight, portability, and punch

But this is America and I like options damn it

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-05-2017, 09:27 PM   #15
Orpheus
Veteran Member

18.5" barrels are more than usable, I have one of those rifles myself and they're fine.
The 12" ones are awesome too, though I havent chrono'd mine yet. I still have some more work to do on it to bring it back to life after a dumbass former owner messed it up and then dumped it on me for pennies on the dollar.

My only complaint with vz58s is that the standard handguards are crappy and the dumb slant on the stock, but stock options exist and both the MOE and Zhukov handguards are fairly easy to modify for them.
Old 12-05-2017, 09:51 PM   #16
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
18.5" barrels are more than usable, I have one of those rifles myself and they're fine.
The 12" ones are awesome too, though I havent chrono'd mine yet. I still have some more work to do on it to bring it back to life after a dumbass former owner messed it up and then dumped it on me for pennies on the dollar.

My only complaint with vz58s is that the standard handguards are crappy and the dumb slant on the stock, but stock options exist and both the MOE and Zhukov handguards are fairly easy to modify for them.
Damn how far gone was the 12?

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-06-2017, 02:41 AM   #17
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Damn how far gone was the 12”?
He put a straightback manticore triangle folder on it and decided in his infinite wisdom that you cant use the standard sights with it and chopped the front sight off, added about 400 bucks worth of (crappy) aftermarket rails on it in order to mount magpul plastic sights on it. It was really quite ridiculous. He also had a vertical grip on there that was too long so it interfered with reloads. I have absolutely no idea what the hell this guy was thinking or how any of this could possibly make any sense at all.
Here's my thread on that subject
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...54#post4172454
I also suspect either he or the previous owner were shooting corrosive out of it and didnt take off the muzzle device when cleaning it because the crown looked all chipped up. He reassembled the mag release lever incorrectly and crushed the spring partially so the release was limp and didnt lock the mags nicely, so I had to dig in my spares bin.
Also, there appears to be something janky with the rivets at the rear of the dustcover
so the action is a little rattly...no big deal I can fix that easy.
I was expecting it to be in way worse shape but I have a full parts kit on hand so I figured as long as the bore and receiver are fine I wouldnt care so much, but the problems are all fairly minor thus far.

So I bought the whole thing for 1100, came with 400 bucks worth of crap that I sold in a week, a new holosun that I traded to my friend and a surefire g2, plus the triangle folder which Im keeping.

I had to order a new front sight which Im waiting for in the mail for like 30 bucks, I redid the crown with the brass screw trick and I put an AK MOE handguard on there I got off an airsofter for 20 bucks. The bore and chamber are mint looking, as is the piston etc.

Bear in mind that these things come in at like 1400 up here naked, if you can even find them and that stock would probably end up costing me another 300 with shipping and other Canada related bullshit so I did fairly ok.

So thats my long winded explanation of how "not far gone" but still not particularly usable until I fix the sights or put the side rail on the receiver and kick the can down the road on figuring out what unmagnified optic will work with my astigmatism...right now a buddy's Trijicon reflex 1x24 is the main contender. The others are the DI optical prism and the Obzor but its not something Im really in a rush to cross off the list.

Last edited by Orpheus; 12-06-2017 at 12:54 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:21 PM   #18
sboone
MAK Attacker

Quote:
He put a straightback manticore triangle folder on it and decided in his infinite wisdom that you cant use the standard sights with it and chopped the front sight off, added about 400 bucks worth of (crappy) aftermarket rails on it in order to mount magpul plastic sights on it. It was really quite ridiculous. He also had a vertical grip on there that was too long so it interfered with reloads. I have absolutely no idea what the hell this guy was thinking or how any of this could possibly make any sense at all.
Here's my thread on that subject
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...54#post4172454
I also suspect either he or the previous owner were shooting corrosive out of it and didnt take off the muzzle device when cleaning it because the crown looked all chipped up. He reassembled the mag release lever incorrectly and crushed the spring partially so the release was limp and didnt lock the mags nicely, so I had to dig in my spares bin.
Also, there appears to be something janky with the rivets at the rear of the dustcover
so the action is a little rattly...no big deal I can fix that easy.
I was expecting it to be in way worse shape but I have a full parts kit on hand so I figured as long as the bore and receiver are fine I wouldnt care so much, but the problems are all fairly minor thus far.

So I bought the whole thing for 1100, came with 400 bucks worth of crap that I sold in a week, a new holosun that I traded to my friend and a surefire g2, plus the triangle folder which Im keeping.

I had to order a new front sight which Im waiting for in the mail for like 30 bucks, I redid the crown with the brass screw trick and I put an AK MOE handguard on there I got off an airsofter for 20 bucks. The bore and chamber are mint looking, as is the piston etc.

Bear in mind that these things come in at like 1400 up here naked, if you can even find them and that stock would probably end up costing me another 300 with shipping and other Canada related bullshit so I did fairly ok.

So thats my long winded explanation of how "not far gone" but still not particularly usable until I fix the sights or put the side rail on the receiver and kick the can down the road on figuring out what unmagnified optic will work with my astigmatism...right now a buddy's Trijicon reflex 1x24 is the main contender. The others are the DI optical prism and the Obzor but its not something Im really in a rush to cross off the list.
That is a sad little life, at least its got a better home now, Get er runnin

For Rmiller^^^
Old 12-07-2017, 08:01 PM   #19
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
That is a sad little life, at least its got a better home now, Get er runnin
Im finally taking some time off over Xmas/New Years and into January so its on the list of things that Im gonna take care of during that time.