Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 12-05-2017, 06:06 PM   #1
camaro1509
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 147889
Default Knifes

I mean ak bayonet is not something Iím packing in sf, seals,other teir 1 units I know someone got them to pack tomahawks very practical to open someone up and for camp n such . But good knife is a must iv had sog deserts 2 and custom 300$ knifes. I think Iím gonna go with a Ka-bar . Iv found most knifes break
camaro1509 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
ArtGuy

AKaholic #: 190991

AkOptions has some great Yugo bayonets for 25 bucks.
ArtGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2017, 06:27 PM   #3
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

A good knife for less than KaBar,

https://www.smkw.com/sog-seal-pup-model-m37n-bx
Old 12-07-2017, 07:13 PM   #4
rediius
Reconnaissance Section

AKaholic #: 177569

Most knives break because you're using them for tasks unsuited to knives, like prying, digging, or chopping wood. Sure, some better built knives these days can baton wood, but you are almost guaranteed not to need a fighting knife these days. The US Army was trying to get rid of blade bayonets back when the Springfield 1903 was introduced, and certainly over 100 years later you don't need that weight.

Bring a dedicated halligan tool or a pry bar if you need to break in to things. Bring a trowel to bury your poop. Bring an axe if you want to efficiently harvest wood. Maybe bring a bushcraft knife if you want to chop up bits of wood for the fire, and a smaller one to slice your food. For most of us hikers, a folding knife is sufficient for these smaller tasks, since we bring our own fuel to cook with. Bring a gutting or skinning knife if you're on a hunt. Bring a bolo or machete if you're clearing shoulder height or leg height overgrowth in the wilderness, which is very, very few of us (everyone else will just walk around the damn thing or use the trails like a normal human until the very last bit when they shoot off to make a camp for the night).

I have limited experience with USSOCOM units, just some Tier 3 guys that were always super friendly to us, and generally, they say you'll win if you bring a pistol to a knife fight. If you find yourself in a fair knife fight, your tactics suck. If you find yourself in a gunfight and you only have a knife because you forgot your gun, your tactics suck. I mean, still learn to wrestle, but you're not going to dominate an ambush by wrestling an enemy squad one by one.

So no, you don't need a Kabar. I have one too, but it stays at home because it sucks for everything I need outdoors. Leather washer handles went out of style in the 1960s. Same goes with bayonets - they're overly complicated knives, rarely full tang, and always issued unsharpened anyway. If you love issued gear like I do, maybe consider an ASEK (Commercially, the Gerber LMF Infantry), which is a 3/4 tang knife intended so you can cut wires without shocking yourself). It's used in several Air Force survival courses, but then, I've seen them break too, because military abuse will break anything. In many ways, it's a better Kabar than the Kabar, and you can make it do a bunch of things it was never designed for. Ask me how I know.

Just admit that you will probably never need a fighting knife and the rest of us will leave you alone to enjoy whatever you want.

Best of luck.
Old 12-07-2017, 07:25 PM   #5
UsernameMDM
x39

AKaholic #: 169388

Gerber Strongarm

Has THE best sheath that can be mounted in multiple ways (only takes up 1 column on molle).

UsernameMDM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 10:47 PM   #6
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

I'm going to look up that Gerber Strong arm. I'm actually more orientated for just such a general utility knife, or next, a light brush knife - name;y a Mora Knive or other similar type knife, which are generally smaller cheap sheath knives. They are small, but tough and very sharp - usually high carbon steel blades.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:06 PM   #7
sineypem

AKaholic #: 175069

Are you challenging someone to a duel?
Old 12-07-2017, 11:34 PM   #8
Ramey

AKaholic #: 185980

Spyderco Bill Moran drop point. Good for everything except heavy work(prying, chopping). Light baton work ok.
Ramey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 11:51 PM   #9
BlackHills

AKaholic #: 159959

Have had great luck with Glock field knives and the simple swedish mora

Last edited by BlackHills; 12-08-2017 at 11:30 PM.
BlackHills is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:51 AM   #10
tnxdshooter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170817

Quote:
Originally Posted by rediius View Post
Most knives break because you're using them for tasks unsuited to knives, like prying, digging, or chopping wood. Sure, some better built knives these days can baton wood, but you are almost guaranteed not to need a fighting knife these days. The US Army was trying to get rid of blade bayonets back when the Springfield 1903 was introduced, and certainly over 100 years later you don't need that weight.

Bring a dedicated halligan tool or a pry bar if you need to break in to things. Bring a trowel to bury your poop. Bring an axe if you want to efficiently harvest wood. Maybe bring a bushcraft knife if you want to chop up bits of wood for the fire, and a smaller one to slice your food. For most of us hikers, a folding knife is sufficient for these smaller tasks, since we bring our own fuel to cook with. Bring a gutting or skinning knife if you're on a hunt. Bring a bolo or machete if you're clearing shoulder height or leg height overgrowth in the wilderness, which is very, very few of us (everyone else will just walk around the damn thing or use the trails like a normal human until the very last bit when they shoot off to make a camp for the night).

I have limited experience with USSOCOM units, just some Tier 3 guys that were always super friendly to us, and generally, they say you'll win if you bring a pistol to a knife fight. If you find yourself in a fair knife fight, your tactics suck. If you find yourself in a gunfight and you only have a knife because you forgot your gun, your tactics suck. I mean, still learn to wrestle, but you're not going to dominate an ambush by wrestling an enemy squad one by one.

So no, you don't need a Kabar. I have one too, but it stays at home because it sucks for everything I need outdoors. Leather washer handles went out of style in the 1960s. Same goes with bayonets - they're overly complicated knives, rarely full tang, and always issued unsharpened anyway. If you love issued gear like I do, maybe consider an ASEK (Commercially, the Gerber LMF Infantry), which is a 3/4 tang knife intended so you can cut wires without shocking yourself). It's used in several Air Force survival courses, but then, I've seen them break too, because military abuse will break anything. In many ways, it's a better Kabar than the Kabar, and you can make it do a bunch of things it was never designed for. Ask me how I know.

Just admit that you will probably never need a fighting knife and the rest of us will leave you alone to enjoy whatever you want.

Best of luck.
Most of the seals and some green berets use the Winkler knife. It's like 400.00 but that's what they use.

Most use the belt knife but some use this one.

http://www.winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=219

Belt knife
http://www.winklerknives.com/knives.asp?id=206

Last edited by tnxdshooter; 12-08-2017 at 04:59 AM.
tnxdshooter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 04:55 AM   #11
tnxdshooter
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 170817

For carry knives I use an esee 6 or a tops surv tac 7. I do have a kabar though with the polymer handles and I added rubber washers in the grooves to improve the grip!
Old 12-08-2017, 07:06 AM   #12
Disburse-Now
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 79142

I own a few select sheath knives - one of my own favorites is the Schrade SCHF9 - an awesome designed knife also.
The Glock Field Knife has intrigued me for some time and I'll likely obtain one soon. Most of my smaller knives are Finnish, or from Sweden, Norway, etc - just google the makers. Many are sold on Amazon and other specialty shops on line.
Disburse-Now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:22 AM   #13
4mula
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 183879

Damm Gerber, SOG and so on, now this is a knife!
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1...luminum-sheath
Old 12-08-2017, 06:33 PM   #14
Dragynn
Curio & Relic
Contributor

AKaholic #: 170546

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4mula View Post
Damm Gerber, SOG and so on, now this is a knife!
https://www.knifecenter.com/item/MT1...luminum-sheath
#omgsofuckingghey
((DB)) Deplorable Basterd brigade #47
Dragynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:25 PM   #15
Classic Rocks
a Crack Whore for his faith

AKaholic #: 180683

Randall

...if too expensive, give Blackjack a try.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:30 PM   #16
27hand

AKaholic #: 155165

So, these won't get it in this thread?

2017-10-27_07-01-01 by poofy27, on Flickr

The top 2 were the first knives I was ever given, Cheap probably thrown away or given away. My grandfather gave them to me about 60 years ago.
The top one gutted a doe a week ago. The second one gutted a buck 2 days ago.

The buck is my woods knife.

A Tarani karambit folder is my carry. Cant find that pic. Will add later.

Those top 2 were lost in my garage for decades. The 3rd one was a gift from someone 30+ years ago.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #17
Beaver Hunter
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164221

Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro1509 View Post
I mean ak bayonet is not something Iím packing in sf, seals,other teir 1 units I know someone got them to pack tomahawks very practical to open someone up and for camp n such . But good knife is a must iv had sog deserts 2 and custom 300$ knifes. I think Iím gonna go with a Ka-bar . Iv found most knifes break
It's KNIVES, not KNIFES

Beaver Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:32 AM   #18
GoNoGo
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 175475

Been carrying a Busse "battle mistress" or a "steel hart" off and on when I'm on the farm for around 17 years. Everything else (other than Busse) that I've tried falls short for the abuse I dish out.
GoNoGo is online now   Reply With Quote