Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Krinkovs

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2017, 08:39 AM   #1
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default Best Side Folder Mechanism for AK pistol?

This would be for using an AR-type buffer (w/ Shock Wave Blade), folding to the left, with accommodation for a side rail and RS Regulate optic mount.

Would drill and tap the existing rear receiver block to mount the folding mechanism...

Ace, Stormwerks, or ????


Thanks!
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 12:26 PM   #2
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor
 
islandfocus2's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159575
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States, Bellingham, WA
Posts: 7,296
Default

Both ACE and STORMWERKZ are good folding mechs. I used the Stormwerkz when I did my SAM7K. Here's the tutorial. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=188548

For M92's, I'd recommend getting "wildbill's" wedge. http://www.akfiles.com/forums/showth...&highlight=M92
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 06:32 PM   #3
FilesCreekMafia
Member
 
AKaholic #: 166054
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Richmond VA
Posts: 182
Default

I’ve got the Stormwerkz hinge along with wildbill’s Shim kit on myM92. No complaints here it works well, granted I haven’t went all Robski and drug it behind my truck yet.
FilesCreekMafia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Plagued
Member
 
Plagued's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 173075
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: North Idaho
Posts: 351
Default

I've used Stormwerkz about 5 times now. I'm always happy with them.
Plagued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 03:49 AM   #5
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default

Thanks, all, for the info!

The only problem is, because of photobucket BS, I can't view the pic's of Wild Bill's wedge / shim -- what does it do?

Is that an add on to the Stormwerkz folder or its own apparatus?
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #6
InsaneAuto86
SHTF Specialist
 
AKaholic #: 173989
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Reading, PA
Posts: 1,796
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Thanks, all, for the info!

The only problem is, because of photobucket BS, I can't view the pic's of Wild Bill's wedge / shim -- what does it do?

Is that an add on to the Stormwerkz folder or its own apparatus?
It is a tapered shim to correct the angle of the stock, putting it more "in-line" with the barrel. It would go between the receiver and folding mechanism.
InsaneAuto86 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneAuto86 View Post
It is a tapered shim to correct the angle of the stock, putting it more "in-line" with the barrel. It would go between the receiver and folding mechanism.
OK, thanks!
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:42 PM   #8
StormWerkz
Member
Vendor
 
StormWerkz's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157235
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
This would be for using an AR-type buffer (w/ Shock Wave Blade), folding to the left, with accommodation for a side rail and RS Regulate optic mount.

Would drill and tap the existing rear receiver block to mount the folding mechanism...

Ace, Stormwerks, or ????


Thanks!
Which AK pistol?
If you just want to drill a single hole rather than drill and tap we have an adapter with Q/D sockets on either side that the folding mechanism bolts to. Bolts from the inside.


__________________
www.stormwerkz.com

Last edited by StormWerkz; 12-08-2017 at 11:44 PM.
StormWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 11:31 PM   #9
GDubya
Member
 
GDubya's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191529
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Home of The King
Posts: 259
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWerkz View Post
Which AK pistol?
If you just want to drill a single hole rather than drill and tap we have an adapter with Q/D sockets on either side that the folding mechanism bolts to.
Be aware that WildBill's (easy privateer to do business with) 5-deg wedge kit has two matching .625"-centered, I believe, holes and does NOT require a tap into just 1mm receiver steel; it comes with a ~1/4" deep threaded receiving block for stabilizing both supplied mounting bolts. And it's common to typical Stormwerkz and Ace hinges.
FWIW, I own two Stormwerkz hinges with said same KAK Blades on M92s...
__________________
I've been high, I've been low. I've been yes and I've been Oh HELL NO!

Last edited by GDubya; 12-08-2017 at 11:48 PM.
GDubya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 01:36 AM   #10
Ramey
Member
 
Ramey's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 185980
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Alexandria Safe Zone, GA
Posts: 257
Default

I prefer Ace. My storm works started deforming on the edges with extended use. Sharp corners started rounding.
Ramey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:05 PM   #11
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWerkz View Post
Which AK pistol?
If you just want to drill a single hole rather than drill and tap we have an adapter with Q/D sockets on either side that the folding mechanism bolts to. Bolts from the inside.


Very interesting...

Most of mine have straight 90 degree rear receiver blocks. SAM7Ks already have a hole drilled in the back for the sling loop.

Is the single bolt on the rear enough to keep it from rotating?

Also, are the holes on the side for quick detach sling loops?

Thanks!
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:09 PM   #12
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDubya View Post
Be aware that WildBill's (easy privateer to do business with) 5-deg wedge kit has two matching .625"-centered, I believe, holes and does NOT require a tap into just 1mm receiver steel; it comes with a ~1/4" deep threaded receiving block for stabilizing both supplied mounting bolts. And it's common to typical Stormwerkz and Ace hinges.
FWIW, I own two Stormwerkz hinges with said same KAK Blades on M92s...

OK, so I take it the wedge if for M92s (and maybe others) that have the slanted rear receiver blocks...

Looks like Dracos and SAM7Ks have a straight back rear receiver block.
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 04:36 PM   #13
GunsArePeopleToo
Member
 
AKaholic #: 185245
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 263
Default

The CNC Warrior is solid. It's made for your specific application, not a modular system. You don't have to piece together multiple components to make it work. It also installs extremely easily in well under an hour with just a drill, a vice, and their bit alignment plate.

If you want it to fold to the left, your brace may not close completely with the optic mount in the way.

Picture
__________________
Mopar or no car!

Last edited by GunsArePeopleToo; 12-10-2017 at 08:35 PM. Reason: Picture
GunsArePeopleToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 04:36 PM   #14
StormWerkz
Member
Vendor
 
StormWerkz's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157235
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meataxe556 View Post
Very interesting...

Most of mine have straight 90 degree rear receiver blocks. SAM7Ks already have a hole drilled in the back for the sling loop.

Is the single bolt on the rear enough to keep it from rotating?

Also, are the holes on the side for quick detach sling loops?

Thanks!
The single bolt is enough as the adapter wraps slightly around the receiver to prevent rotating.
The holes on either side are for quick detach swivels.
The hole is in the same position as micro dracos , I am not sure of the SAM7K hole location.
Center of the hole is .835 from the bottom of the receiver.
__________________
www.stormwerkz.com
StormWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 05:42 PM   #15
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor
 
islandfocus2's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159575
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States, Bellingham, WA
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWerkz View Post
The single bolt is enough as the adapter wraps slightly around the receiver to prevent rotating.
The holes on either side are for quick detach swivels.
The hole is in the same position as micro dracos , I am not sure of the SAM7K hole location.Center of the hole is .835 from the bottom of the receiver.
The SAM7K's swivel hole location is pretty much centered on the rear block. See photo below.

islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 07:26 PM   #16
StormWerkz
Member
Vendor
 
StormWerkz's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157235
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandfocus2 View Post
The SAM7K's swivel hole location is pretty much centered on the rear block. See photo below.

Looks like the adapter would drop right in.
__________________
www.stormwerkz.com
StormWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:32 PM   #17
Meataxe556
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 160303
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: AR
Posts: 3,194
Default

Thanks all for the info!
Meataxe556 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
Brasky
Veteran Member
 
Brasky's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 187139
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 1,996
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by StormWerkz View Post
The single bolt is enough as the adapter wraps slightly around the receiver to prevent rotating.
The holes on either side are for quick detach swivels.
The hole is in the same position as micro dracos , I am not sure of the SAM7K hole location.
Center of the hole is .835 from the bottom of the receiver.
I ordered this one for my mini Draco, will let everyone know how I like it with photos
Brasky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 03:20 PM   #19
makvepr
New Member
 
AKaholic #: 194570
Join Date: Nov 2017
Location: High Springs,Florida
Posts: 2
Default

I got the cnc warrior pap folder for my m85. A little expensive but very nice. One hole install like the storm workz but fully assembled ready to go.
makvepr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 07:38 PM   #20
Czysz
Member
 
AKaholic #: 183529
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Wake, NC
Posts: 317
Default

hey Island vs the sam7k how hard is it to drill/ tap the stamped rear plate?
Czysz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 08:13 PM   #21
islandfocus2
Guns & Coffee
Contributor
 
islandfocus2's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 159575
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: United States, Bellingham, WA
Posts: 7,296
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czysz View Post
hey Island vs the sam7k how hard is it to drill/ tap the stamped rear plate?
It's pretty tough that I actually broke the tap. So I end up using lock nuts on the other end.
islandfocus2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2017, 09:47 PM   #22
ddnc
Curio & Relic
 
AKaholic #: 174853
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: The DMZ
Posts: 4,889
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Czysz View Post
hey Island vs the sam7k how hard is it to drill/ tap the stamped rear plate?
This is why I recommend the CNC folder. It actually has only one large bolt with a locking nut but is contoured to fit the grooves perfectly that is in the swivel hole with the swivel is removed. It is solid as hell and will not move as there is a 1 inch steel collar that goes over that bolt when you torque down the locking nut over the collar end plate.

ddnc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2017, 09:28 PM   #23
GunsArePeopleToo
Member
 
AKaholic #: 185245
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: Sterling Heights, MI
Posts: 263
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddnc View Post
This is why I recommend the CNC folder. It actually has only one large bolt with a locking nut but is contoured to fit the grooves perfectly that is in the swivel hole with the swivel is removed. It is solid as hell and will not move as there is a 1 inch steel collar that goes over that bolt when you torque down the locking nut over the collar end plate.
I concur.

Use blue loctite.
__________________
Mopar or no car!
GunsArePeopleToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 06:31 PM   #24
Master Z
Member
 
Master Z's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 191513
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 265
Default

Not sure I like the extra bulk of the Stormwerks pistol adapter.
it would be better if they streamlined it and made a single bolt adapter with folding mechanism in one. Not stacking one with the other.

Anybody use the Carolina Shooters adapter? Looks good too.
__________________
Master Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:15 PM   #25
StormWerkz
Member
Vendor
 
StormWerkz's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157235
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Z View Post
Not sure I like the extra bulk of the Stormwerks pistol adapter.
it would be better if they streamlined it and made a single bolt adapter with folding mechanism in one. Not stacking one with the other.

Anybody use the Carolina Shooters adapter? Looks good too.
We had so many requests for the quick detach sockets that we just built them in which adds thickness.
The reason we didn't make a specific folder is people are using the adapters for mounting so many different combinations of stocks/braces/folding mechanisms.
-Josh
__________________
www.stormwerkz.com
StormWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 07:43 PM   #26
gomelkiev
New Member
 
AKaholic #: 6762
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 19
Default

I have Stormwerks adapter for my PAK9, but for sam7k I decided to try HERA adapter.
thanks to islandfocus2 , I used same ideas (use dremel, make 2 holes, trip to Ace Hardware)



Last edited by gomelkiev; 05-09-2018 at 11:42 PM.
gomelkiev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 12:27 AM   #27
travinh
Member
 
travinh's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 179278
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Texas
Posts: 153
Default

I own two Stormwerkz hinges. Both work fine, but the locking tabs wear out pretty easy due to the soft aluminum. I recently bought a M92 pistol. While searching for another hinge for my new M92, I saw that ACE offer the steel hinge for very good price at Brownells with free shipping. I decided to give it a try. WOW!!! it looks great. The durability of steel is at least 3x stronger than aluminum. I immediately swapped out the Stormwerkz hinge on my SBR M85NP with ACE steel hinge.

With the steel available from ACE, I will never buy an aluminum hinge again.

travinh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:29 PM   #28
temecula
Member
 
AKaholic #: 190542
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 28
Default

probably Stormwerkz hinges came from China.
temecula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #29
temecula
Member
 
AKaholic #: 190542
Join Date: Dec 2016
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 28
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by travinh View Post
I own two Stormwerkz hinges. Both work fine, but the locking tabs wear out pretty easy due to the soft aluminum. I recently bought a M92 pistol. While searching for another hinge for my new M92, I saw that ACE offer the steel hinge for very good price at Brownells with free shipping. I decided to give it a try. WOW!!! it looks great. The durability of steel is at least 3x stronger than aluminum. I immediately swapped out the Stormwerkz hinge on my SBR M85NP with ACE steel hinge.

With the steel available from ACE, I will never buy an aluminum hinge again.


do you have a link bro of the hinge?
temecula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #30
StormWerkz
Member
Vendor
 
StormWerkz's Avatar
 
AKaholic #: 157235
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Superior, WI
Posts: 70
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by temecula View Post
probably Stormwerkz hinges came from China.
All StormWerkz products are made right here in Superior Wisconsin
__________________
www.stormwerkz.com
StormWerkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:01 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
©1998-2018 The AK FIles