Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > SVDs and RomAK IIIs

Notices

Old 09-28-2017, 02:36 PM   #1
MisterDeadman

AKaholic #: 155079
Default NDM-86 Buyer's Guide?

Hey Guys,

Looking to pick up an NDM-86. I already have a PSL, PU Mosin and an M1A so I'm interested in both calibers. My question is: is there a thread dedicated to what to look for when purchasing? I've seen some posts regarding soft receivers and others with 308 Spring-loaded firing pins that were bad (not sure how). I'm not a gunsmith and will likely ask any sellers if a smith could check the gun out before purchasing but... what should I, a buyer, be looking for from the get-go?

Thanks for the knowledge!
Jim
MisterDeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
WolfmanReid

AKaholic #: 154786

The soft receiver issue was confined to other Chinese rifles such as the M14 clone they made, not the NDM-86 thankfully.

The firing pin issue on the .308 NDM-86s is serious. Without modifying with a spring there is a very real possibility of having a slam fire, even with military hard primers such as on M118LR (seen it happen I'm afraid). Some of the CDNN modified pins were real hack jobs but do function. Others were done quite well. I had a spare .308 bolt that I had Richard Parker modify with a Tigr firing pin, spring and bushing which is much nicer than the CDNN modifications.
WolfmanReid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2017, 05:27 PM   #3
Horse
Veteran Member
Vendor

AKaholic #: 146752

Either way - buy it if it's a fair price and includes more than one magazine
Old 09-30-2017, 09:31 PM   #4
MisterDeadman

AKaholic #: 155079

Cool... definitely in the market but the only one near me is 308 and $7500. Seems a bit more spendy than armslist results across the country even if I try to suit past the obvious frauds!
MisterDeadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:03 AM   #5
greendevil41

AKaholic #: 8106

These are usually expensive in either caliber. I've owned both but prefer the 54R version simply because it looks more "correct" with the correct type mag. The Nato caliber ones may actually shoot more accurately though according to some.

Some things you might want to to look for:

Matching numbers on the major parts.

Original finish (kind of a glossy black paint)

4x PSO type scope with IR discriminator switch which is matched to rifle (rifle will have the serial number of the issued scope stamped into the wood of the butt stock on the left side.) All scopes I have seen are painted black. May have English (export) or Chinese markings (Type JJJ).

Accessories: Originally these came with lots of stuff that included a green metal scope can w/ spare bulbs, a cleaning brush, a sectioned cleaning rod, manual, a small black metal case with cleaning attachments, a green cotton material scope bag/ case with shoulder strap, two rubber scope eyepieces one of which has a friction ring on it, a "pleather" (with chrome fittings) or green web sling (there is a Chinese khaki or mustard colored military issue sling for these but they are rarely encountered) , a green oil bottle, spare black painted magazines and in some cases, a rare NDM 86 specific wire cutting bayonet. There are also some rifles that came with a red velvet lined case or a wooden transit box. Those will usually command a premium. If your rifle is missing these original items they are usually very difficult (and expensive) to find.

I can post some pics here of some of these items if you need them for reference.

Good luck on your quest!

Last edited by greendevil41; 10-01-2017 at 01:11 AM.
greendevil41 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 01:24 AM   #6
Escape from NY

AKaholic #: 179890

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendevil41 View Post
These are usually expensive in either caliber. I've owned both but prefer the 54R version simply because it looks more "correct" with the correct type mag. The Nato caliber ones may actually shoot more accurately though according to some.

Some things you might want to to look for:

Matching numbers on the major parts.

Original finish (kind of a glossy black paint)

4x PSO type scope with IR discriminator switch which is matched to rifle (rifle will have the serial number of the issued scope stamped into the wood of the butt stock on the left side.) All scopes I have seen are painted black. May have English (export) or Chinese markings (Type JJJ).

Accessories: Originally these came with lots of stuff that included a green metal scope can w/ spare bulbs, a cleaning brush, a sectioned cleaning rod, manual, a small black metal case with cleaning attachments, a green cotton material scope bag/ case with shoulder strap, two rubber scope eyepieces one of which has a friction ring on it, a "pleather" (with chrome fittings) or green web sling (there is a Chinese khaki or mustard colored military issue sling for these but they are rarely encountered) , a green oil bottle, spare black painted magazines and in some cases, a rare NDM 86 specific wire cutting bayonet. There are also some rifles that came with a red velvet lined case or a wooden transit box. Those will usually command a premium. If your rifle is missing these original items they are usually very difficult (and expensive) to find.

I can post some pics here of some of these items if you need them for reference.

Good luck on your quest!
Please post the photos!
Escape from NY is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 12:27 AM   #7
greendevil41

Of course we're right in the middle of cleaning out and moving furniture out of the room where all this stuff is for a new carpet install. I will dig the rifle and accessories out tomorrow night and shoot some pics if possible.
Old 10-03-2017, 12:41 AM   #8
Escape from NY

Quote:
Originally Posted by greendevil41 View Post
Of course we're right in the middle of cleaning out and moving furniture out of the room where all this stuff is for a new carpet install. I will dig the rifle and accessories out tomorrow night and shoot some pics if possible.
Thanks!
Old 10-03-2017, 03:04 PM   #9
Holescreek

AKaholic #: 124983

All the photos you can want at dragunov.net
Old 10-04-2017, 01:18 AM   #10
greendevil41

Yes-that site has some good pics as well. Here is some of my stuff, some of which is not necessarily issued with the rifle but sourced later like the drop case and Type 79 magazine chest rig. The pictured bayonet was only made for this rifle and is very hard to find loose. I don't have the issued commercial variant sling and the pictured military one is unique to these rifles as well and also uncommon. The pictured muzzle cover may not be Chinese but was on the rifle when I got it. The cheek piece is also numbered to the rifle as well. Hope this is useful to somebody. The linked album has more pics.

https://imgur.com/a/18ZXQ
Old 11-15-2017, 09:58 PM   #11
Rollthelosingdice
Just Like You

AKaholic #: 158581

PSL $1000
Tiger $3500
NDM 308 $4200
NDM 54R $5000
KBI $10,000
Military $ 13,000
Old 11-15-2017, 10:01 PM   #12
raggedwhole!
Banned

AKaholic #: 172787

Psl shouldn't even be on the list.
raggedwhole! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 10:28 PM   #13
Escape from NY

GD41:

Thanks for posting the photos of your beautiful SVD rig!
Old 11-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #14
voron
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 174098

Quote:
Originally Posted by raggedwhole! View Post
Psl shouldn't even be on the list.

LOL.

BAN SIG 2017
voron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2017, 10:28 PM   #15