Go Back   The AK Files Forums > Rifle Forums > Shotguns

Notices

Old 02-22-2018, 02:20 AM   #1
Sindri556

AKaholic #: 193312
Default Emperor Firearms

Does anyone have any experience with these? KYGunCo has them on sale, about $150 for the MXP12 pump gun and $180 for the MX5 Semiauto or MPX12 Tactical. I've googled a bit and so far all I got is they are Turkish, and not bad quakity for the price.

I'm thinking about picking up the MX5 semi just to mess around with. Now before anyone tells me to save up and buy a good shotgun, I have several, this would just be to tinker with (like my SAS-12). Any thoughts, experiences?
Sindri556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:08 PM   #2
Conn. AK
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4732

New one on me. Bud's sold a bunch of them and there are a few you tube videos. Never heard of them. The pump looks 870 inspired. Can't beat the price of these knock offs these days, but I always say go old Mossberg 500A for a pump gun. The amazing thing is the price of the semi-autos. If they work well...........you've got something there. Chinese vs. Turkish manufacturing. Wouldn't kill the bank account to try out one of those semi-autos. Pretty cool.
Conn. AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:17 PM   #3
KYgunner

AKaholic #: 178120

I considered one for a minute while I was looking for a Hawk 982. Ended up going for the Hawk based on its track record for durability and the questionable availability of replacement parts for the Emporer line.
KYgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 11:51 PM   #4
John A.
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 178172

I have a friend who bought one of the semi's.

He said it had no problems with high or low brass 2-3/4" shells. Which is quite good for a semi to not have any problems with low brass. A lot of semi's choke on them because the spring has too much tension. He said this one cycled both no problem.

I have one of the semi's on order, but it hasn't gotten here yet.

From what I read, it has a chrome lined barrel.

18.5"

Uses Benelli/Beretta screw in chokes.

(The short barrel and interchangeable chokes is what tipped me over the edge buying one).

Unsure what mag extension it will take. I've heard Rem 870. Unsure on it yet but I have several I can check it with to be sure when it does get here.

I have 3 other guns that were made in Turkey and they are well made and good guns.

This one may be the exception, but I doubt it. I have pretty high hopes for it.

I plan to use it mainly for a field gun. Some squirrel hunting with my boys. Strapped across the ATV when riding on some of the trails around here.

My only other semi-auto was a Charles Daly Turkish import called the Maxi-mag. It's been a really good gun too.
John A. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:06 AM   #5
Sindri556

John A. - I decided to pull the trigger on one, so to speak. Ill order it Saturday.

Everything you're saying jives with what I've dug up in my research - Beretta/Benelli chokes and 870 mag extension. Im looking at the KYGunCo version which is a 20" barrel. My plan is to throw on a mag extension and extended choke, dremel the loading port, tweak the guts, and make a fun little 3 gunner out of it.

I haven't played with a Hawk yet but continue to hear excellent things about them. Maybe one day, but I already have so many shotties. In fact I already have a good 500, dads old gun, and a 930, A5, and a few others for fun (SAS-12, SDS Cheetah 12, Enfield 410).
Old 02-23-2018, 08:35 AM   #6
John A.
Veteran Member

I have several chokes that are interchangeable with my O/U that I'm not using.

I'm going to pattern it with the shells that I would most commonly run through it.

Some #6's for most of the hunting I do.

7 1/2's for bird or clays

Slugs and buckshot for larger things.

I have a bunch of other scatterguns too. Singles, doubles, pumps, and another autoloader. But I think I will like this one due to its' short length and interchangeable chokes should make it an all around useful gun.

I think the barrel length is actually 18.5". I think they are measuring 20" with that goofy extended/ported choke in it.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:15 PM   #7
Conn. AK
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 4732

More I find out about these the better they sound. Too old for another shotgun though.
Conn. AK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:46 AM   #8
DevJames

AKaholic #: 193787

the Turk semiautos seem to be pretty decent for the price.

I'm really happy with my SA-20 now that the safety and trigger have smoothed out on it.
DevJames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:14 PM   #9
timmy59

AKaholic #: 178435

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevJames View Post
the Turk semiautos seem to be pretty decent for the price.

I'm really happy with my SA-20 now that the safety and trigger have smoothed out on it.
Quite pleased with the KRAL raptor 12 imported by Tri star wouldn't be surprised if the emperor (importer) are the KRALS too..
timmy59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
John A.
Veteran Member

I don't think these are the same.

The bolt release button appears round on the kral. This one looked square in the photos (I won't actually get mine until Monday to confirm).

The mag cap looks different. As well does the design in the receiver too.

Old 05-12-2018, 10:37 PM   #11
Sindri556

Default MX-5 Update

I got the MX-5 a while back from KYGunCo. It's a good shooter but some of the information floating out there these is not correct.

They use Franchi chokes, the old style, not the Beretta/Benelli Mobil style. They look really similar but the thread pitch is different.

I'm still not sure on the mag extension, I've tried a Remington and a Mossberg, but neither worked. That said, the mag tube seems somewhat large in diameter, might be out of spec? Or maybe it's Franchi like the chokes.
Old 05-12-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
John A.
Veteran Member

I had forgotten about this thread. I have since bought one myself.

Turns out, mine also used the old style franchi choke. Despite that even on the box said it was supposed to use the less expensive mobil chokes. It didn't.

It came with a breaching/stand off cylinder choke, and a flush cylinder choke.

While good for slugs and buckshot

Left a lot to be desired for hunting with it so I bought a Carlson flush extra full choke which did well for most everything that I hunt.

It has a 3/8" 22lr style dovetail scope mount, which I mounted a solar/battery powered 5 moa red dot on it.

Numrich gun parts had some old style franchi chokes and I bought my Carlson off of ebay.

The Remington mag extension tube does screw on, but I had to make a short shim because there was a slight gap that would be needed to hold the handguard and barrel in place.

You can see the shim with the shiny aluminum in this photo before I painted it.

There was a lot that I did like about it.

There are a lot of chrome on the gun besides the chrome lining in the barrel.

Underneath of the handguard where the piston is all chrome lined.

It did have a plastic follower. I'm not fond of plastic followers. I made an aluminum follower for it.

I wish it had dual extractors but it doesn't. In fairness, I've already shot more than a full case of cheap low brass birdshot through it and it's not failed yet. I haven't even cleaned or oiled it yet. It has been really reliable.

I did a sponge camo similar to my favorite hunting pattern (natural gear).

It was well worth the $190 or so that I paid for it.
Old 05-15-2018, 09:15 PM   #13
Sindri556

Thanks for sharing all your info.

I need to mess around with that magazine extension, I guess. I'm seeing the gap like you are, but I'm not entirely sure the threads are engaging on mine. It seems like it's binding against the flat, untreated bit at the end of the tube. I feel like either my extension nut, or magazine tube, are out of spec. The nut is Nordic Components and I've always had good luck with them in the past, so I'm more inclined to think it's the gun. Sadly I don't have a Remington 12 gauge to test the nut on.
Old 05-16-2018, 02:14 AM   #14
AlphaTango4
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 164926

Just a psa on Turkish shotguns.

I work in a LGS. The turk guns are fine as long as you're not using them a lot. After a few hundred rounds, we start to see parts breakage and feeding problems. This is not exclusive to any one brand.

Take it for what it's worth. I'd use a reminder 870 or mossy 590 if anyone is considering home defense and/or heavy use.

That being said, even domestic shotgun makers are starting to follow suit.

The average consumer might buy a gun and shoot it once a year. In that case, the guns work forever.

Sadly, even Remington is falling on it's face producing polymer shotguns and stuffing 3 1/2 inch Chambers in them. The result is broken parts on goose guns after one season.

I cannot tell you how many new rems I've had to fix with broken shell stops, lifters, disconnectors, and trigger housings. The disconnector issue is the worst. It will allow the pump guns to fire out of battery and cycle without using the slide release. I can do it in my sleep at this point.

The worst offenders are Hatfield shotguns and Remington 887's. Closely followed by all the other Turkish and Browning stuff currently made.

Dear Muslims, we regret to inform you that your 72 virgins are no longer pure...the ak-filers got there first.
AlphaTango4 is offline   Reply With Quote