Up to 60% Off Daily Deal Products. Palmetto State Armory
The Ultimate Gun Belt, US Made, Lifetime Warranty, Free Shipping. Shop Now.
Gorilla Ammo Free Shipping when you order 10 Boxes or more.
Shop all the current Lone Wolf closeouts here

Go Back   The AK Files Forums > General Forums > Gear & Accessories

Notices

Old 05-25-2018, 09:56 PM   #1
Funkerman

AKaholic #: 175301
Default BOB& backpacking stoves: advice wanted

After tasking an honest look at my stuff, and looking at my own health, I've decided to get back into camping & wandering outdoors. Many more reasons aside, I have looked at some sotves and I want to know which do you guys like? the MSR pocket rocket seems to be the best canister stove/burner so far but I have looked the optimus crux, and a few other canister stoves. These seem appealing because they can boil water fast, actually cook( simmer as well) and the chance of spilling fuel& smell is reduced but I am tied to the canisters. I also considered white gas stoves like the MSR whisperlight, the Coleman exponent and a few others. I don't like the chance of fuel spills but with these I can run whitegas, kerosene, unleaded gasoline, diesel( no need for the canisters though). etc. These look up to the task of everything from bulk water boiling to most cooking needs but they need to be primed, and I don't know if they simmer well( think cooking rice). Propane is propane and there seem to be no end of wood stoves. With weight being an issue and camp cooking & water boiling being a need; which system do you guys recommend? I suspect I may have as many as 6 people that may leach ooff of me so I am also concerned about it lasting. Thank you all and sorry for the wall of text.

EDIT: I am an idiot... I should have put this in survival and Preparedness. This is why I really shouldn't post after 11. I am hate to ask, but could a mod move this thread, please?

Last edited by Funkerman; 05-26-2018 at 12:27 AM.
Funkerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 08:32 AM   #2
BlackHills

AKaholic #: 159959

I'm a big fan of wood over any fuel you have to transport as I live right outside millions of acres of forest. I have a Emberlit and it's been a great stove, folds up and fits inside my mess kit.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:49 AM   #3
Mudburner

AKaholic #: 184541
Default Camping stove

I use a hobo stove. Its a #10 can with a hole cut in the side to add wood, two metal 1/4" rods through the top to hold a pot. It burns small sticks very efficiently.

I use what I call a "3 meal pot". Its an old stainless steel cooking pot with a lid that holds enough food for about 3 meals, or 3 portions. Fresh food cooked will last about a day before going south, so I cook only that much. A large double handful of small dry sticks can be found almost everywhere. Only negative is you have to sit right there & feed it constantly. Since it burns efficiently like a rocket stove, it emits little smoke & gets plenty hot. Carbon deposits on the bottom of the pan.

For heating coffee water, or very small cooking jobs, a sterno can works well with one of those little fold-up aluminum stands.
Old 05-26-2018, 10:44 AM   #4
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

From my personal experience here are a couple thoughts.. canister stoves, keep in mind that you will end up with a bunch of partially full canisters. Because you need to carry them in your pack and they take up space and they have weight associated with them you will either just get a new cannister for every trip so that you have enough fuel or you will end up carying multiple cannisters in order to use up all of the gas. Refillable liquid gas is nice for this reason, but once again they are heavy.

Looking at weight there are some pretty nice compact folding stoves that just burn wood. If wood is plentiful and the risk of starting a forest fire is low where you camp look into the FireBox. https://www.fireboxstove.com/ Easy to carry in, no cannisters and no messy fuel. Then again you can’t just fire it up for a cup of coffee and then pack up and move right away in the morning.

In the end if you are a serious camper you might end up with all 3 types and depending on where you are going and what the situation is you may pick which one fits best for that trip. I’ve actually resorted to MREs for a number of trips where I wanted to save weight. I use the real MREs that I get from a military friend, not the shitty look alikes in surplus and camping stores.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 11:30 AM   #5
weaselrunner

AKaholic #: 162491

Another thought is to check out penny stoves. You make em, dozens of varieties, can use rubbing alcohol, grain alcohol, etc--things that are multi purpose. If it gets trashed, make another one.
weaselrunner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 09:04 PM   #6
Pow-ding
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 87380

You might consider one of these. If you look hard you might get a better price.

I have limited use of mine and found it useful. Can boil water for soup, noodles, drinking. Will burn leaves or wood. Wood is best. Can be a bit of a challenge in high wind or rain, and you need a fairly flat surface for cooking. I purchased a cheap surplus gas mask bag to carry mine in, along with some dry wood.

https://www.loadup.com/swiss-militar...iABEgJkZPD_BwE

added: more info. https://youtu.be/blCtlL8WPyA

Last edited by Pow-ding; 05-26-2018 at 09:32 PM.
Pow-ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:23 AM   #7
ThunderGod
Have Hammer, Will Smite
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 62

Wood gasifier stoves work well with twigs and such, as well as charcoal, alcohol and solid fuels tabs. You can make one using various-sized tin cans, or buy several variations from China.

One version

Another

FYG: Fire Your Guru!

Neither Bee, nor Borg.
ThunderGod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 12:40 PM   #8
theserb

AKaholic #: 196308

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ffldYo4EVCg

Just do this. It's super easy.
theserb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
John A.
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 178172

This is my preferred method

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma6VqwIuI24
John A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2018, 02:53 PM   #10
amd6547

AKaholic #: 4041

I’ve used quite a few backpacking stoves. The different types, white gas, canister, etc all have their strong points.
One of my favorites is the Trangia alcohol stove...so simple and reliable, and it boils fast. I see there is a cheap Chinese knockoff called the Alocs, now.
amd6547 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 08:13 PM   #11
RNA

AKaholic #: 157257

Although not so flexible in terms of cooking, i believe packing freezer bag dehydrated meals (aka Mountain House) with a water boiling system like jetboil outs the way to go for camping.

But for BOB, i guarantee you're going to wish you had ready to eat options versus cooking anything. I found this out after a terrible hiking trip where all i wanted to do was pound granola, trail mix, cereal bars and jerky, and was so offput by having to cook anything, even with a hot meal at the end of the endeavor.
RNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2018, 09:42 PM   #12
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

AKaholic #: 177977

Trangia stove works best for me.

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=39
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 12:23 AM   #13
bushman
BENEVOLENTI MODERATORIS

AKaholic #: 3819

I have used the MSR Whisperlite International for a long time, primarily for the combination of packability with multi fuel compatibility. Fuels you should be able to find anywhere.

Geez. -TYFOON-
bushman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:02 AM   #14
fpk762
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 166849

Not total spartan but jeep camping i really enjoy my Jetboil flash, it all stores into itself, even the fuel and last quite along time. I boil water to use in dehydrated food when i dont want to cook, great for coffee to. Carry it everywhere in my backpack. Isobutane isn't expensive and found most anywhere. Super clean and easy its one of the most used gadgets ive got.
fpk762 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:03 AM   #15
Orpheus
Veteran Member

AKaholic #: 177936

If it's an actual "bug out bag" to facilitate movement from A to B, then any kind of small portable twig/esbit stove as a backup would be fine. As others mentioned, you should be focussing on foods that require minimal preparation for that purpose.

If youre trying to put together a kit to withstand the apocalypse and want a hydrocarbon stove, a multi fuel is IMO better; I personally dont like canister stoves because of their proprietary nature. I like the MSR offerings, but I havent tried others and they could be fine too. As far as fuel spills is concerned, the bottle for the MSR units is very good and seals well. I dont exactly have a decade of weekly experience with mine, but I never had a problem and dont really forsee one ever happening. The cap has a loop so I just clip it to the outside of my pack along with some bungee cords
Orpheus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 10:28 AM   #16
Pow-ding
Veteran Member
Bronze Contributor

AKaholic #: 87380

If you want to go cheap and don't really care about the looks, you can take a metal coffee can (if you can find one), cut a opening in the bottom side to feed wood/leaves, and buy a cheap wire grill to go on top. Some vent holes on the side of the can might help a bit if you want.

That stove will do if you have a mess kit or small pans that you can use as a cooking pan to go on top. I have one of these in case of long-term power outage so I can cook food with available resources.

Instead of a wire grill on top, I put metal cross bars to hold the pan or cups on top while cooking.

Typical foods to consider are rice, ramen noodles, spam slices, canned goods, etc.

This could be used outdoors, under a covered porch area, and could be used inside in a fireplace with the flu open.

This would not be a long term cooking solution, but should last for several months. Would need to be burned out before cooking food.

Last edited by Pow-ding; 05-29-2018 at 10:34 AM.
Pow-ding is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 01:50 PM   #17
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orpheus View Post
If it's an actual "bug out bag" to facilitate movement from A to B, then any kind of small portable twig/esbit stove as a backup would be fine. As others mentioned, you should be focussing on foods that require minimal preparation for that purpose.
I only pack an "emergency" stove. If you cook on the trail or at camp regularly, a wood fire is great. It will however make smoke. Firestarter should be carried in backpack. Keep it light and keep it simple. Don't forget your ziploc baggies to keep things dry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
It is the mission of every leftist to destroy you in any and every way possible.
They aren't your countrymen, they are simply enemy.
Fuck the left. They belong in Hell.

DEFCON 2.4
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 02:38 AM   #18
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by def90 View Post
From my personal experience here are a couple thoughts.. canister stoves, keep in mind that you will end up with a bunch of partially full canisters. Because you need to carry them in your pack and they take up space and they have weight associated with them you will either just get a new canister for every trip so that you have enough fuel or you will end up carying multiple canister in order to use up all of the gas. Refillable liquid gas is nice for this reason, but once again they are heavy.

Looking at weight there are some pretty nice compact folding stoves that just burn wood. If wood is plentiful and the risk of starting a forest fire is low where you camp look into the FireBox. https://www.fireboxstove.com/ Easy to carry in, no canisters and no messy fuel. Then again you can’t just fire it up for a cup of coffee and then pack up and move right away in the morning.

In the end if you are a serious camper you might end up with all 3 types and depending on where you are going and what the situation is you may pick which one fits best for that trip. I’ve actually resorted to MREs for a number of trips where I wanted to save weight. I use the real MREs that I get from a military friend, not the shitty look alikes in surplus and camping stores.
From what it looks like you may very well be right in that no one stove/fuel system can do it all. More than likely I'll pick up a large Esbit stove for a backup, but from there I'm still thinking. I am leaning more on the idea of a liquid fuel stove after Orpheus and def90 mentioned. Finding liquid fuel is easier than canisters. The killer thing is I have to have the ability to boil larger amounts of water ( around a gallon at a time if need be) and while wood stoves are easy to build, smoke is still a giveaway. Please don't hesitate to comment or advise but the above is where I am at right now on stoves.

On a barely related note: are there any Russians or knowledgeable people out there that can tell me if the Russian army still officially uses those mess kits copied from the German ww2 ones? Not the VDV ones with the .75 liter aluminum canteen nested in the pot& pan.

Seriously though, thanks for the comments& advise.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:25 PM   #19
hoovdizzle
Maximum Sperg

AKaholic #: 181475

I like the pocket rocket. I’ve used it all over the US. Never fails.

Others are right, the fuel is heavy and takes up space. It’s worth it to me to have a simple and reliable stove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishaco View Post
I've had a Fox for 5 damn months and have fingure fucked it more times than most of you have your girlfriends during the same time period.
hoovdizzle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 01:02 PM   #20
Orpheus
Veteran Member

One thing to also be aware of, is that all multifuel and canister stoves have a noise signature associated with them. During my limited research into this I was led to understand that the more effecient/higher output stoves tend to logically be louder. If you're concerned about being incognito then you may wish to consider this.

In my personal system I actually have 3 separate options for meal preparation, a titanium hexagon stove/platform, multifuel stove and a few days of lifeboat rations for situations when time/smell/sound doesnt allow for actual meal preparation

Last edited by Orpheus; 06-05-2018 at 01:13 PM.
Old 06-05-2018, 04:08 PM   #21
Funkerman

Quote:
One thing to also be aware of, is that all multifuel and canister stoves have a noise signature associated with them. During my limited research into this I was led to understand that the more effecient/higher output stoves tend to logically be louder. If you're concerned about being incognito then you may wish to consider this.

In my personal system I actually have 3 separate options for meal preparation, a titanium hexagon stove/platform, multifuel stove and a few days of lifeboat rations for situations when time/smell/sound doesnt allow for actual meal preparation
Part of the reason I am now reconsidering the esbit type stoves.. yes they can have a smell but they can be put out instantly, are light and compact, and packed up fast.They are limited though.. I still think a canister stove is appealing for quick boils & actual cooking but then again alcohol stoves are easy to find fuel for if scrounging. I probably will end up with a few different types but, this whole quest is to serve 3 major points:

B.O.B. use( 3 days to around 2 weeks endurance needed but still somewhat able to scrounge for fuel or light& small enough to pack out)

camping needs( light enough to pack but also sturdy enough to survive being backpacked)

and able, if needed to boil around 1.5 to 2 liters of water to refill my canteens as well as light washings( I live in what was, and might one day revert to, a swamp. Ticks are a big concern)

The above is why I keep looking at stove types trying to find one or two that would do well. I really should have put this thread in survival but I am more concerned about the technical parts right now and made a mistake in not double checking which subforum I was in.
Old 06-06-2018, 08:29 AM   #22
Cypheros
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 171345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funkerman View Post
Part of the reason I am now reconsidering the esbit type stoves.. yes they can have a smell but they can be put out instantly, are light and compact, and packed up fast.They are limited though.. I still think a canister stove is appealing for quick boils & actual cooking but then again alcohol stoves are easy to find fuel for if scrounging.
Alcohol or esbit stoves are very easy, and effective. Even in that, there are pros and cons for both. Personally, I don't use alcohol stoves because the fuel is liquid, and could freeze and/or spill. OTOH, alcohol stoves (like this Fancee Feest stove) are generally quicker to boil water than esbits.

Quote:
B.O.B. use( 3 days to around 2 weeks endurance needed but still somewhat able to scrounge for fuel or light& small enough to pack out)
For BOB use, I would recommend an esbit stove with a blue enamelware cup (for a pot/coffee cup). When you run out of esbits, you can still put your cup into a fire (like a dakota fire pit), and cook in it. You could also go with an Alcohol stove, as long as the spilling and/or freezing issues can be alleviated.

Quote:
camping needs( light enough to pack but also sturdy enough to survive being backpacked)
For backpacking (i.e. NOT an emergency survival situation), canister stoves make the most sense for most people. Remember that time + effort = calories...so a faster setup is more efficient.

Keep in mind that canister stoves have 3 drawbacks:
1. They are noisy
2. You can't use a different fuel (like wood)
3. They are comparatively bulky

If you are backpacking, #1 and #2 aren't a big deal. Most people don't seem to care about #3, but it is the whole reason I stopped using my JetBoil.

Quote:
and able, if needed to boil around 1.5 to 2 liters of water to refill my canteens as well as light washings( I live in what was, and might one day revert to, a swamp. Ticks are a big concern)
There is no way you could take enough equipment with you to make this a truly viable possibility. Instead, you should get a quality water filtration system, and some extra filters. If you're really worried about it, pack some iodine tabs as well.

I use a Katadyn Hiker. It came with hardware for connecting to my Camelbak QuickDisconnect system. I have a QD in the line on the outside of my pack, so I don't have to even open my pack to pump clean water into it.
Old 06-06-2018, 02:15 PM   #23
adam6955
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 175102

Not directly related to stoves, but a well built and tended fire should produce minimal smoke. Especially if you are in good canopy cover. A little fuel goes a long way to building a fire with damp wood, which in turn will dry smaller fuels surrounding the fire. So I guess my suggestion is a multi fuel stove as you can use the fuel for other uses, including building a larger fire

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe." - Thomas Jefferson

"If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail."

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
adam6955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:41 AM   #24
Funkerman

In my continued( now truly Quixotic) search, I found this on Evil-bay and I figured you lot might like to see it. It solves a big issue with alcohol stoves, albeit this isn't a terribly crunch proof design, in that the flame is truly adjustable.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Portable-Ou...8AAOSwridZ9vTe

In other news: What I would give for the Chinese to make a stainless steel version of the East German 3 piece mess kit.. I could go on for days.
Old 08-08-2018, 02:58 AM   #25
Avtomatkalashnikov

AKaholic #: 179027

albeit not a backpack friendly version i did make my own rocket stove out of 3/16th inch steel mig welded.

heres something to give you an idea the kinda shit id recommend.

im curious to see what others reccomend aswell, but honestly imo, im probably just gonna throw a cast iron pan in my bug out bag and call it good. can always build a chimney over a campfire out of rocks to place it on. a stove only adds unnecessary weight to a pack imo.

BUT it is cool to bring stuff like my large rocket stock in the video when i go camping and stuff like that.

i also have a miniture steel oil barrel you can find just about anywhere. makes for a good small portable burn barrel./

i hear propane fuel has advantages over wood though. wood carrys smoke and scent very far whereas i believe propane is odorless when it burns and for the most part no smoke.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:19 AM   #26
bigrog210
Vierfruchtpyjama
Contributor

AKaholic #: 177977

Quote:
In my continued( now truly Quixotic) search, I found this on Evil-bay and I figured you lot might like to see it. It solves a big issue with alcohol stoves, albeit this isn't a terribly crunch proof design, in that the flame is truly adjustable.

In other news: What I would give for the Chinese to make a stainless steel version of the East German 3 piece mess kit.. I could go on for days.
I have no problems adjusting the flame on my trangia stove

/////
Magaholic

CTAK social group
http://www.akfiles.com/forums/group.php?groupid=39
bigrog210 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 02:29 PM   #27
Funkerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigrog210 View Post
I have no problems adjusting the flame on my trangia stove
I've heard good things about the trangia's as well. I posted the new link as I thought it was unique enough to share and I haven't seen one of those before.I wanted opinions & such on it, as usual. Of the two burners, I'd rather carry the trangia hands down.
Old 08-09-2018, 08:26 AM   #28
def90
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 154917

Quote:

Way to big for backpacking.
def90 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:36 PM   #29
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

https://www.solostove.com/

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:42 PM   #30
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

I like the MSR xgk multi fuel stove, the little pocket rockets with pressurized fuel cans are cool too.

single burner with piezo ignitor is cool too with the normal 1 pounder pressurized fuel cans.

then I go to grill grate and magnesium starter or other starter methods for wood burning

Last edited by bounce19712; 08-09-2018 at 10:48 PM.
bounce19712 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:52 PM   #31
panzertruppe
Curio & Relic

AKaholic #: 3934

https://www.lixada.com/p-y0416.html

I'm a wood burning fan.... It's everywhere around me...

panzertruppe
panzertruppe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 12:47 AM   #32
Ram Rod
Ruler of Ramnation
Contributor

AKaholic #: 182786

Crockpot is where it's at for those of you who didn't know. Just sayin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjarhead View Post
It is the mission of every leftist to destroy you in any and every way possible.
They aren't your countrymen, they are simply enemy.
Fuck the left. They belong in Hell.

DEFCON 2.4
Ram Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #33
Orpheus
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce19712 View Post
I like the MSR xgk multi fuel stove....
then I go to grill grate and magnesium starter or other starter methods for wood burning
Thats the stove I use and I also really like it. I can have my meal prepared and eaten well before you collect your wood, build the fire, get it to the point you can actually cook off of it etc.... This is a huge advantage wether youre bugging out or simply on a multi day recreational journey because you can keep going for another hour or whatever before you need to set up your camp. The fact that it will run off of any liquid fuel except alcohol is also a wonderful thing from both a recreational as well as SHTF perspective.

What grill do you use? I was looking at getting one just for the fun of it.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:18 PM   #34
adam6955
Veteran Member
Contributor

AKaholic #: 175102

JESUS how long do you think it takes to build a fire? Sounds like you are not very familiar with the process. I can have a small, clean burning cook fire going in a couple minutes, as can most who have done it before.

"When we get piled upon one another in large cities, as in Europe, we shall become as corrupt as Europe." - Thomas Jefferson

"If we fail to prepare, we prepare to fail."

"They who can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Benjamin Franklin
adam6955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2018, 08:01 PM   #35
bounce19712
Curio & Relic
Silver Contributor

AKaholic #: 8142

Quote:
Thats the stove I use and I also really like it. I can have my meal prepared and eaten well before you collect your wood, build the fire, get it to the point you can actually cook off of it etc.... This is a huge advantage wether youre bugging out or simply on a multi day recreational journey because you can keep going for another hour or whatever before you need to set up your camp. The fact that it will run off of any liquid fuel except alcohol is also a wonderful thing from both a recreational as well as SHTF perspective.

What grill do you use? I was looking at getting one just for the fun of it.
I bought two versions from the same company....they make light weight titanium backpack grills...I'll find it... one is for fish and the other has less grate...

otherwise I'll pack a regular steel or powder coated bbq grill grate for regular camping.

Purcell grills!

http://www.purcelltrench.com/grills.htm